We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

What works in progress do you have and what do you fancy doing next?

(48 Posts)
JollyHappyGiant Thu 05-Sep-13 18:07:52

I'm a crocheter. Currently I'm working on:
A very thick brown scarf for DH.
A white and pink 12 point star blanket for fun.
A purple and teal stripey blanket for DD, but I've tied off the yarn and given her it already. I'll finish it sometime in the future.
A yellow and red Babette blanket for DD.
A 'lucy bag' in loads of colours for my sister.

I'd like to make:
A corner to corner blanket.
A poncho or top for my other sister.
Some little toys for DD.

Didn't realise I had quite so many works in progress!

I didn't say I made the projects I bought the wool for! grin

monikar Sun 22-Sep-13 11:30:33

My problem is that I don't buy just for certain projects, I buy random balls of wool when I see them usually because it is a bargain and 'might come in useful'. There is a charity shop in our town which seems to have a never-ending supply - I wonder who donates all this wool - and I can pick and choose some lovely wool from there smile .

Haha! I know how you feel! I think " oh, I must use that up", go on Ravelry for ideas, find something else, buy the wool for that instead!grin

monikar Sun 22-Sep-13 09:02:34

goodjam I love any excuse to buy more wool grin .

I keep promising myself I wont buy any more until I have used up what I have. That would probably take about 2 years of continuous knitting...

puffylovett Sat 21-Sep-13 21:39:08

Ooh hello... I have on the go -

1 x granny stripe blanks for ds1
1 x join as you go small square 'elmer' blanket for ds2
1 x large crochet peephole square blanket for my sofa

To do -
Xmas pressies for family, but I've no idea what! Socks scarves or hats I suspect

I'm currently eyeing up knitted ripple blankets, I only have 12 balls though, so my stripes might have to be thin! or I have the perfect excuse to buy more of the same wool!

monikar Thu 19-Sep-13 14:14:00

I sometimes buy Simply Knitting - they are such lovely magazines aren't they? Full of like-minded people with a similar obsession! Luckily for me though, most of the projects are too difficult or just too big so I tend to only make the small easier stuff. I particularly like it when they have a free gift on the front - now that is sad.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 19-Sep-13 13:06:36

It seems that when I preview posts it posts them anyway! So I'll have to choose between correcting typos and posting everything twice!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 19-Sep-13 13:05:21

My downfall is magazines and books - I have a subscription to Simply Crochet and I have just taken one out for their new quilting magazines. I spend ages flicking through them, get loads of inspiration and start too many things at once...

In fact my DH has just refused the offer of a free coffee table because it would just get 'covered in knitting magazines and crap...' grin

I still haven't managed to educate him on the differences between crochet and knitting...

monikar Thu 19-Sep-13 10:21:57

Fowl I am like this - I am always mentally on my next project, hence probably why the sewing up gets left and left.

I have a friend who only has one set of needles, deliberately, so that she can only have one WIP going at any one time. I like to have lots of everything - yarn and buttons are my particular obsessions, but I have a lot of needles too. Does anyone else get their stash out and look at it? I must sound really sad...

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 19-Sep-13 09:39:56

Aargh! <throws phone at wall>

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 19-Sep-13 09:38:57

Oops, posted twice blush sorry!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 19-Sep-13 09:37:43

Thanks chocolateteabag. I printed the pattern last night and I will let myself have a go at it only when I have quilted both quilts and made up the three pillowcases. <gives self stern look> <sneaks off to see if there is any appropriate yarn in stash>

I did pin and start to tack one of the quilts last night - inspired by this thread - particularly the mental image of goodjam frantically sewing while the baby slept. My babies are both at school now, so the only legitimate excuse I have now is work - and I'm pretty good at procrastinating when it comes to that too grin

monikar Thu 19-Sep-13 09:00:41

goodjam Did you get the blanket sewn up in time? I left mine last night while I looked through my stash and patterns...nothing changes grin .

Chocolateteabag Wed 18-Sep-13 23:37:51

Hi Fowl - yes, finding it pretty easy once I got the hang of the raglan increases. It's knit top down from the neck band and the "new" stitches for me were all easy to find on ravelry.
I'm doing stripes but there are some fab block colour ones in the project list too which I kind of wish I'd done instead pattern is free too. But have needed a lot of wool for it

That's exactly what I'm doing! She finally fell asleep and I'm going to let her have an hour, so I'm sewing as fast as I can! grin

monikar Wed 18-Sep-13 16:35:39

goodjam If you have it laid out on the table, then you are part way there smile - my sewing up just festers in a heap in my knitting basket, and I just add to it, then have to have a big blitz and do it all in one go. I remember the days of a toddler refusing a nap - my DD was a terrible sleeper and on the odd occasion she napped in the day and I was trying to get on with something I would be thinking 'don't wake up yet, I haven't finished'.

You're not alone Monikar. I have about 20 squares for a baby blanket laid out on my dining room table just waiting to be sewn up. I can't seem to bring myself to do it, and it's supposed to be done by tomorrow. sad

Plus my toddler has refused to nap today, so that's scuppered that plan. hmm

monikar Wed 18-Sep-13 14:48:16

574 are you knitting PJ trousers? What size are you doing? Gosh, that sounds to me like a huge project.

I am doing a toddler jumper at the moment and have reached the dreaded sewing up stage. I love knitting and crocheting but I don't like sewing up and can sometimes have 3 projects made but not sewn up. Does anyone else not like sewing up or am I alone in this?

574ejones Wed 18-Sep-13 12:29:58

I am making Christmas Stockings at the moment, and am planning to make some PJ trousers next. And after that, I need to think about Christmas presents.

You all sound very busy!

JollySleepyGiant Wed 18-Sep-13 10:30:22

Fowl, that is a great idea smile I have a few local facebook friends who craft. I wonder if we could arrange something smile

TheFowlAndThePussycat Wed 18-Sep-13 09:04:14

I love that cardigan chocolateteabag is it easy to make (i'm not a very accomplished knitter but I can do the basics)?

One thing that helps me make some progress regularly is that I meet with a friend once a month and spend an evening trying to move our WIPs on. We should do it more often really, but it is better than nothing!

Chocolateteabag Tue 17-Sep-13 22:56:31

WIP: Caramel cardigan by Isabel Kraemer have got to just under boob and sick to death of stockinette!

Planning: puerperium cardi in a black and white twist wool for DS2 who is due in dec.

just ignoring the half made skirts (pregnancy put paid to finishing this year) and half complete upholstery projects all over house

whatdoesittake48 Tue 17-Sep-13 16:22:16

Crochet cushion cover for MIL's 60th birthday
crochet tableware sets/coasters for xmas presents
Knitted socks - one nearly finished
Work in progress granny square blanket
Huge knitted linen bed throw - years in the making

Have my eye on hats and scarves for the winter
Possibly a new thick jumper to ward off the cold

Always practising new techniques and then just unravel them - for me it is the process rather than the final result.

I teach crochet - so need to keep up with new ideas and interesting techniques.

Currently I have on the needles/hooks:

A waterfall cardigan, in cerise pink King Cole galaxy yarn (with sequins on).

A big, cream tunic-sweater that I am making up as I go along.

Squares for a random, patchwork-style crochet blanket in purple, cerise, rust, lime green, teal, turquoise and sunshine yellow.

Flowers, balls, stars and pompoms for the Attic24 christmas wreath.

Other projects I have got lined up include - a big cardigan, a crocheted baby blanket for a friend (a mumsnetter), several lace scarves, and a scarf in two shades of pink Debbie Bliss Andes, and five - yes that's right - five skirts. And I want to do some quilting and applique, and have the fabrics for that. And for some cushion covers - I made three, but ran out of the backing fabric, and now have some more of it.

I don't think that is all. In fact, looking at my yarn stash, I KNOW that isn't all. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now