We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Please help me to understand the pom pom maker

(18 Posts)

Yeah, ridiculous I know. This is the thing I bought (instead of just using cardboard) What I don't understand is if I cannot do it with my big ball of yarn and I'm meant to cut the yarn the size I guess I'll need so I can pass it thru the hole. Because I wouldn't like to do that, but I cannot see other way. Please enlighten me! smile

flubba Sun 03-Mar-13 06:55:26

I don't have one so not sure quite what you mean - but does it actually say to cut the yarn? If so, surely it just means cut the amount of yarn you'll need so you can pass that whole ball through (rather than, say, a 500g one)? I don't see the problem? (that sounds a lot arsier than it's meant to btw) grin

sashh Sun 03-Mar-13 07:28:30

I think that's the only way.

Thanks. No it does not say anything, just some pics at the back of the pack.
It's just that since it's the first pompom I cannot calculate the lenght of yarn and don't want to waste my pretty yarn. I'm just embarrasing myself now blush

flubba Sun 03-Mar-13 10:39:16

grin Don't be silly, I understand!! grin

Well roughly what size is the pom pom going to be? I could weigh one I have here (made of cheapish acrylic) so you could then work out roughly how much to cut of your nice yarn?

When I make pompoms, I use several lengths of yarn rather than either the whole ball or the exact single length I need. It doesn't matter if they are too short.

I have one of these. I cut lengths of yarn and thread through a wool needle so I'm using the yarn doubled over. When it gets too short to pass through the middle I cut the yarn close to the eye of the needle and start again.

You honestly don't waste any yarn this way.

PolterGoose Sun 03-Mar-13 15:24:17

These Clover Pom Pom makers are very good as you just wind the yarn rather than poking it through a hole.

Ahhh I see! Thank you all. I'm happier now, look smile
Flubba, I think I'll do as NotADragonOfSoup and TheWoollybacksWife said, cut some lenghts and do it double with a needdle. PolterGoose, i think i watched a video of the clover one, It looked easier indeed, but I had already bought the pony one.

ClaireyWi Wed 06-Mar-13 15:01:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OMG... Just got my Clover Pom Pom makers (yes, I ordered multiple sizes!)

FAR superior to old fashioned cardboard. I will soon be drowning in pompous grin

PolterGoose Wed 06-Mar-13 23:33:44

They are good aren't they?

Can I also recommend this time saving Prym automatic French knitter I can set it up, put ds at top of stairs and he will happily wind the handle for ages to make ridiculously long 'snakes' grin

No. FFS don't recommend any other gadgets!

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 08:15:36

grin

LadybirdsAreFab Thu 07-Mar-13 08:24:51

I have those clever pom pom makers, my mother laughed at me when I bought them and she might have muttered something about more money than sense. I love them as does DD. She is nearly 4 and we have made lots of animals from them and made snowmen. Much, much quicker than the cardboard version.

Have you seen the maxi french knitting machine?!

The only size pom pom maker I didn't get was the extra large one blush

MercedesKing Thu 07-Mar-13 09:58:29

Sorry, I have to admit that the thing do not make sense to me totallysad.. Could I ask what is a pom pom for? Well, guess I still need more learning on crafts. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now