We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Help choosing yarn for a crochet afghan.

(5 Posts)
eggandcress Thu 28-Feb-13 17:25:09

Rico Merino DK is lovely to crochet with. It has a massive range of colours. You should be able to get some for around £3.50/50g if you shop around. I used it for baby knits - very soft.

PolterGoose Wed 27-Feb-13 18:39:02

I've done one for my bed in Sirdar Calico which is a cotton acrylic mix, very soft and can be tumble dried. I have no idea what it cost as I bought the yarn as I went, but I think it would fit your budget.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Sun 24-Feb-13 12:45:20

Wool blend? Does it need to be machine washable? DK or aran weight?

For a washable soft yarn, the stylecraft is great TBH. Wendy Merino DK is washable and very very soft but I suspect it will pill a lot and the mitts I made have stretched quite a lot. The Aran yarns that come in a massive 400g ball are nice, 20% wool and washable.

For baby yarns, I like the King Cole Comfort which is very soft and cuddly and cheap, around £3/100g and nice to knit up, has washed well for me.

Daisybell1 Sun 24-Feb-13 12:25:28

What sort of colours do you like?

I don't know if Deramores have the option of searching by price? Or another site might? Sorry, that's not very helpful, is it? I aspire to stylecraft special as I can't get it near me!

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Mon 18-Feb-13 17:48:16

I would love to crochet an afghan in lovely soft wool, but I've got to stick to a budget. I want something nicer and softer than Stylecraft Special, which is my normal yarn, but can't afford cashmerino etc. What yarns would work? I'm willing to pay maybe £3.50/50g (but cheaper would be better.) Would a baby yarn work for an afghan? Help, please. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now