We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Help me find this...thingie!

(21 Posts)
piprabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 14:46:51

Could you find a cheap game of Solitaire and then reuse the little pegs from that?

Are you sure it's not dowel with a small ball glued on top?

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:58:10

my last idea - stud earrings! you put them through the hole, then put on the back part, glue, done.

how excited I can get about this sort of thing is just ridiculous!grin

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:55:22

oh they wouldn't work as the thickness of fabric can be manipulated, but the drawers are solid so, no.

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:53:09

yes, easy to drill through. if you do the string & bead solution you'll have one hole only, so you'll need a massive knot or another smaller bead on the inside that's bigger than the hole.

kind of like how cuff links work

ooh, cheap cuff links?

Wigeon Fri 25-Jan-13 13:33:34

Ah, genius idea of attaching a bead with a string! The holes aren't actually drilled right the way through, but I DH could always drill a little hole to put the string through.

Think map pin might be liable to fall out even if I attempted to fix it in.

Wigeon Fri 25-Jan-13 13:29:59

amazingmum - yes, that's the kind of shaped thingie! 99p is a bargain (and we could always play Mastermind with the ones left)!

Would a larger size map pin do, or does it have to be wooden? If it's going through a drawer front, you could bend the sharp end over into the wood.

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:27:13

you could of course put a string through the hole, put a nice bead on, then pull back through the hole, tie, cut, job done.

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:21:43

300849518314 Item number bay again - you could use the coloured pegs, plastic, but you'll have plenty for replacements

Wigeon Fri 25-Jan-13 13:19:41

Ooh, replies! Thank you.

Fieldfare - yes! Although the stick part (that slots into the little doors) is quite short. The spherical bit sits flush to the door - there isn't a bit of the shaft sticking out, IYSWIM.

Amazingmumof6 - sort of, although a bit less fancy - just a tiny rod with a spherical ball on top! I think the idea of reusing the pegs from an old toddler peg puzzle (like this one)) might be the best way forward. Although might have some trouble getting the pegs out if they are well glued in!

rockinhippy - thank you for the Fimo idea, although think I might make it look a bit uneven and rubbish!

stick a bead on?

or these?

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:16

or something like this? 380551070199 Ebay also

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:57:55

reuse old puzzles with a holding pegs?

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:56:06

check out this item 270944514164 on Ebay - getting closer?

rockinhippy Fri 25-Jan-13 12:53:52

Does it have to be wooden ?? - if not buy some Fimo modelling clay & make one xx

fieldfare Fri 25-Jan-13 12:52:34

Bottom left! Sorry.

fieldfare Fri 25-Jan-13 12:52:22

http://www.plugitdowel.co.uk/
Do you mean like the bottom right picture? The pin in the centre of the wheel?

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:50:00

dolls' house furniture fixing/spares?

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:47:43

so like a half a tiny lego light sabre with a pea stuck on top? like a giant pin?
like a wooden knitting needle's bead/stopper end?

how about you make them? bbq skewers cut in to bits then you glue a bead on one end?

my kids train set has similar connectors - try that?

ooh, I like a challenge, I'll put my thinking cap on!

Wigeon Fri 25-Jan-13 12:32:16

I am looking for a small, wooden peg - not a clothes peg, but a little object with a little sphere on top and then a little piece of dowel sticking out.

A bit like what the little sphere in the middle of this must have looked like, before someone stuck it into the star.

Kind of like the little pegs you use to play Battleships.

The reason is: I have a wooden advent calendar with lots of little wooden doors, a lot like this, which shows how the door knobs are little wooden peg things, and quite a few of the little door knobs are missing, so I'm trying to find a few spares.

I have been into B&Q and Hobbycraft, but neither stock this. And Google thinks I mean a clothes peg when I google it!

Any help gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now