We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

LittleBells Sat 11-May-13 12:46:44

Hi, I'm a fellow leftie smile and the most useful guide I found was Crochet Unravelled book which I got from Amazon. It shows both left and right handed illustrations for each stitch. Before that I couldn't get a hang of anything at all. It was the turning point for me. Just thought I would share.

Being in the left handed minority, you realise everything is right handed (my new camera has all the buttons on the right and my left hand has nothing to do but steady the camera when it would rather be adjusting and picture-taking!) the sewing machine has all the buttons on the right, fair enough as there are only 10% left handers of which 7% are men and 3% are women, but it's good to at least find a left handed crochet guide!

HoggyTruffle Sat 11-May-13 16:19:56

Yes, the internet is the answer for left handers. I could follow most right handed instructions when learning but had to admit defeat with the magic circle and found a left handed demo.

LittleBells, there are more and more left handed versions of things I'm sure I will never need. I saw a left handed ruler the other day (numbers from right to left). How have I lived without it? confused

Hello, please may I join you all? aware now I have joined I may never leave
I have been doing little bits lately and have done a few squares for woolly hugs too. But now, I am going in for a blanket.

My friend is having a baby girl in September and I was hoping to make one of those blackberry salad blankets. I will use Stylecraft Special DK in vibrant colours so it's stripey.

But, I have a question for you. How much yarn will I need? I have no idea.
I'd like to make it a pram size blanket I suppose, about 100x50cm and any little bits left make a miniature one for her DD1 to have as a doll's blanket.
How many 100g balls do you think I should buy? before I buy a million

SoupDragon Sat 11-May-13 18:11:25

I have no idea best buy a million just to be safe

I've had a look around the internet and reckon I'd need about four to five balls so will do 6 colours and get one ball of each colour and hope there's a bit left.
Or just to be safe get 7 colours.
Oh, this could go on. I'm going to end up with a secret stash aren't I? grin

ParkerTheThief Sat 11-May-13 22:39:29

Id get seven or ten which is a nice round number , just to be sure.

I've just finished a stylecraft blanket here and I still have two drawers full of stylecraft!

SoupDragon Sun 12-May-13 08:02:23

And maybe a couple of extra colours just in case.

[enabler]
[no help]

I had a look on youtube for leftie vids. I am even more confused grin Anyway tried again right handed and I managed to crochet the first round of a granny square (got lost after that)

Its a start...

DevonCiderPunk Sun 12-May-13 22:39:14

Oh I've only just found this thread! I've been hooked since January. Marking place...

JollyOrangeGiant Sun 12-May-13 22:45:44

Have you all found the crochet geek facebook page and app? Very useful and good for lefties too smile

I'm 24 squares into a 40 square blanket for DC2 made with Sirdar snuggly baby bamboo. It is luscious yarn! Got a bit fed up of it tonight though and started a doily in stylecraft special. No idea if it will work but it's fun to try something new.

Also, I've just heard that Deramores have an eBay shop selling yarn cheaper than in their website. I haven't looked yet, but I will at some point.

I'm back. With yarn...
I've uploaded a photo of my new stash if you care to take a peek.
It seems I've ordered an actual rainbow grin
Would anyone care to help me decide what to make? I can make knots with a hook when following a pattern but have no 'vision'.

Votes for a zigzag ripple attic 24 or a bobbly one like this blackberry salad

<awaits total link failure>

And, I'm feeling particularly creative as I've just done a crocodile stitch flower square for Trinity's blanket. My most challenging yet. Also uploaded on my profile.

I could actually make a blanket of those in different colourways...
<dither>

ParkerTheThief Sat 18-May-13 20:13:37

Lovely flower square.

The blackberry salad looks gorgeous, really tactile.

I've just made a rainbow blanket that I'm really pleased with, mind you I appeared to have about 30 different shades of Stylecraft in my stash so it had to be done.

HoggyTruffle Sat 18-May-13 22:34:50

WhereAreMyShoes - my vote is for the ripple. The blackberry salad does look lovely but might take a bit longer than a ripple. Depends on your staying powers for projects.

The woolly hug square is fabulous.

schooldidi Sat 18-May-13 22:44:26

I'd go for the ripple as well. The blackberry salad doesn't look like it'd grow fast enough for my liking. I got bored doing a ripple blanket for my friend's baby. blush

I'm currently doing one of these as a little hug. I'm using chunky wool because dp went to the wool shop for me and didn't realise there was a difference, so it's growing really quickly. I like that. I'm not the most patient of people.

Thanks for your advice, and kind words!
Tonight I did a couple of small testers of both the stitches and found the ripple is very easy to do, but also easy to lose my rhythm. I kept forgetting to do the inc and dec twice and found out only at the end of the row blush

But yes, the ripple is probably best, and I think it'll look the nicest.

I have until September to finish in time for the baby it's meant for arriving. My first big project.
If only my kids could entertain themselves for a couple of months, would be handy.

Parker, your rainbow blanket is excellent. And massive!
Schooldidi, I really like the star shape. Stop making me dither about even more than usual! You'll have me flapping my hands next.

ParkerTheThief Sun 19-May-13 09:02:26

You could do more than one... I've only got three crochet projects on the go at the moment smile

SoupDragon Sun 19-May-13 12:44:50

Both.

[unhelpful]

grin

KnitStitchSewBlog Mon 20-May-13 16:31:46

Hiya, new girl checking in. Feel in love with crochet after being a knitter for 30 years... Just finished some crochet bunting for DD's bedroom and now starting on a giant granny square blanket. Love it! Hooray for the hook! grin

KnitStitchSewBlog Mon 20-May-13 16:32:08

feel? that should be fell. Obvs. blush

SoupDragon Mon 20-May-13 18:04:37

Welcome to the darkside...

I'm still plodding on with dd's hoody (I got into trouble doing the sleeves). The pattern is for age 10 but it must have been designed for the smallest 10yo in history so I've had to increase it. That was ok on the body but the sleeves are trickier.

I had to stop to do some woolly hugs squares and also my lovely PIL just bought me a new sewing machine so I've been playing with that too.

My ripple blanket is really going to take until next Christmas isn't it? Why did I make it soooo big? <sob>

sooperdooper Wed 22-May-13 16:14:20

I made a blackberry salad blanket for my DN, just finished it a while back, this is mine...

www.ravelry.com/projects/parmaviolet/blackberry-salad-striped-baby-blanket

It did use a LOT of yarn though, much more than I expected, and cost quite a lot in the long run, but I kept getting a few balls at a time so it didn't seem too bad

I tried doing a ripple but I kept going wrong, when I try again I'll come back on here to get some tips!!

I'm making a Monkey at the minute, but I'm making him in striped cotton yarn & I've changed the pattern a bit to do it in rounds rather than link the rows, I just find that easier/neater

quesera.ojaru.jp/osaru-pattern-b.html

I'm a leftie crochetter too - even though I'm actually right handed, just feels better left, I find I can follow patterns from the other way round fine now smile

sooperdooper Wed 22-May-13 16:19:18

I want to try this but I think I need to get my head round normal ripples first because I just couldn't get this right at all & everyone on Ravelry has rated it as simple so I'm clearly being daft grin

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/star-shaped-colorful-baby-vest

Ok. You lot have convinced me. So armed with YouTube, a crochet hook and a ball of (quite hideous, tbh) £1 wool (well, not actual wool, obviously) I have been learning to crochet since Sunday. I haven't actually figured out what I want to make yet, but I've been having a go at lots of different stuff (various stitches, granny squares, circles, basket weaving, a criss-cross stitch, and even a teeny tiny hat) but have no run out of wool.

So now I'll have to go and buy nice wool and make... Erm... Something. I have no idea what though. I need to wait til I get paid though as we have no money left this month and I fear I may go a bit mad in John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now