Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Tue 27-Nov-12 16:48:23

Oops, lost you all, sorry!

SoupDragon Fri 30-Nov-12 15:36:00

Here is the first of the Team Hooker blankets for Refuge smile

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 30-Nov-12 17:18:28

It's lovely Soupy.

I'm in mourning today - I came home to find BigDog had taken my WIP and chewed a hole in it.
It's my own fault because she has form for taking soft things that belong to me so I always pack my crochet away. Last night I left it on the settee.

DH said he thinks she took it first thing and hid it in her bed because everytime he came into the room this morning she lay down on top of something - that would be my crocheting!
She's very remourseful and has just spent the last ten minutes presenting me with all her toys and bones. They are in a pile at my feet.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Nov-12 17:28:25

I shouldn't laugh but.. but... [snort]

I have to pack mine away or it will smell of spaniel smile

shellybop Tue 04-Dec-12 04:40:23

Hello! Can I join? I've been lurking a few nights (up with 9week old) and I'm in awe of the crochet knowledge on here! I taught myself to crochet just over a year ago from YouTube and have made some lovely things but kinda stopped while preggers as I couldn't concentrate on anything. Just picked up my project again this week and have even doing a bit whilst child is on boob. I love it again!

Seabright Tue 04-Dec-12 11:05:29

What have you made Shellybop? And what are you making now?

I am busy making dolls clothes. Possibly I am the meanest Mum around, but I am short of cash, have a big bag of charity shop wool and lots of free Ravelry patterns. DD has The Worlds Most Ugly Doll (TM), who is improved by wearing brightly coloured clothes and large hats, so that's what her Christmas present will be.

Luckily DD (who is 4) hates TV adverts, so is blissfully unaware of the fact that expensive shop-bought toys are also available. I can't see it lasting until next year though!

I'm getting the urge to make a blanket. Anyone made a Ripple Blanket, Attic24-style?

Daisybell1 Tue 04-Dec-12 12:26:38

Seabright, yes I ripple but I've used it to make scarves rather than blankets. I use colour changing wool to get the affect.

Seabright Tue 04-Dec-12 17:18:40

I hadn't thought of using varigated wool, you can still see the ripple, even though the colour is changing throughout, not just in rows?

TwoJackRussellsandababy Tue 04-Dec-12 18:17:26

I'm rippling a blanket out of stylecraft acrylic for using next summer in the caravan, it's really easy once you get the hang of it grin

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Tue 04-Dec-12 18:37:16

Oops blush lost you again! Very envy of the ability to crochet and bf, mind I've only had 2 weeks to practice!

Somersaults Tue 04-Dec-12 19:33:27

I think the ripple will definitely be a future project of mine. I just have a lot of other things on the go first. I must crack on with a poncho for my friend's DD's Christmas present. Lots of rounds still to go in that. Then I've got a load of attic24 Christmas baubles to make. Lots on the go!

Daisybell1 Tue 04-Dec-12 20:57:35

Seabright, I went for long colour changes to make sure the ripple showed up. I used King Cole Mirage and also a German one too. I'll see if I've got a pic to add to my profile.

Daisybell1 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:06:45

Pic uploaded!

MnpdoesYULETIDE Tue 04-Dec-12 22:54:40

Evening.

I am MNP and I learnt from YouTube and the scrummy Mikey in September and have done 5 baby blankets, a single bed cover, a woolly hug, 3 woolly hug squares, snowflakes and 3 baby hats so far.

On the hooks currently are 5 baby blankets / woolly hugs and an Angel Woolly Hug.

I still find reading patterns hard but watching YouTube has increased my stitch portfolio.

I agree re mistakes, those I can see others can't which is comforting.

As to the yarn stash, DH only knows about 25% of it, eBay and the 50% off baskets at my local yarn shop are very compelling.

shellybop Wed 05-Dec-12 03:05:36

Hi seabright, well so far I have made a cool stripes scarf for husband, 2 lace effect (shell pattern) scarves as gifts, some baby booties for my son (only got to wear them a couple of times as his feet were do big at birth) and a lovely blanket for him which we use every single day. I made them all in about 3 months and then stopped. Now, a year later, I've started again- making a jumper for me. Going ok but slow as am doing it while breastfeeding mainly as its the only 'free' time I have. At least it's something though.

I've already picked out next project -cute hoodie for the little man.

Seabright Wed 05-Dec-12 13:08:18

Blimey Shellybop & MNP, you have been amazingly productive!

Daisybell - fab photos! I will try & add some to my profile too.

I have been looking at the project pictures of the Attic24 ripple blanket on ravelry. I now feel I have no choice but to make one in the new year, when all they Ugly Doll clothes are out of the way. I saw one website did a "Lucy Pack" of all the colours in blanket, so might go for that as it's "only" £25. Might ask for it for Christmas, actually

Somersaults Thu 06-Dec-12 20:06:07

Erm, Is Stylecraft 'emperor' black? It looks black on the website but you can never be sure!

Somersaults Thu 06-Dec-12 20:07:18

Actually, I've found one called 'black' that I think I'll go for!

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Thu 06-Dec-12 20:09:12

Somersaults, it is a very dark purple

Somersaults Thu 06-Dec-12 20:12:28

Also, what is worsted weight yarn? What do I need to order? Because I probably can't use Stylecraft special if its a worsted weight yarn and as it's a Christmas present I really want to get it right: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-cell-phone-iphone-or-ipod-cozy-case

Somersaults Thu 06-Dec-12 20:12:57
aJumpedUpChristmasElf Thu 06-Dec-12 20:15:28

I think worsted weight is aran

TwoJackRussellsandababy Fri 07-Dec-12 05:52:15

It's a little bit thinner than aran, but if you go onto ravelry you should be able to see if other people have successfully substituted aran for worsted or used dk. You might have to go up hook sizes and your project will likely be larger than the original, which is useful when making things which have to be a particular size, but it wouldnt matter for a blanket so much.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Fri 07-Dec-12 07:15:26

brew

Daisybell1 Fri 07-Dec-12 08:50:52

I think we should be making you [brew ] Pidg, you've got enough on your hands!

I made some tiny slippers yesterday - they were on Craftgawker - to go on the Christmas tree, and I'm going to attempt some of Attic24's snowflakes later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now