We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

SoupDragon Mon 19-Nov-12 17:20:00

This looks useful. It seems to imply that "metric" is just mm and, based on this, I would try a similarly numbered hook. Is the 4.5 like a DK yarn and the 7 chunky?

Daisybell1 Mon 19-Nov-12 17:45:30

Is there a gauge on the pattern? If so, I'd try a few different sizes until it comes out right.

Just dropping in to see if there is news of Pidgechick and so pleased to see that there is. Congratulations Pidge! Lovely name for a lovely baby hooker. smile thanks smile

Jules146 Tue 20-Nov-12 07:49:38

Congratulations, lively name too. Hope you're both well x

Congratulations Pidj and welcome to the world little Raphael! Lovely name. I hope you're getting lots of rest. smile

PurplePidjin Tue 20-Nov-12 12:44:38

There is a Mummy-Made blanket on his car seat and his cardi and bootees were much admired at his check up this morning grin

At 6lb2oz nothing fits! Need to get busy especially on hats

SoupDragon Tue 20-Nov-12 13:51:02

smile

DS1 was 10lb1oz... nothing fitted him either grin

PurpleFrog Tue 20-Nov-12 13:51:25

Gah! What have you been doing with yourself since yesterday morning! You have had enough time to crochet up a full outfit! wink

PurplePidjin Tue 20-Nov-12 14:17:00

Forgot to pack the hooks sad would have been stuffed if my waters hadn't gone of their own accord!

Daisybell1 Tue 20-Nov-12 14:29:56

I got lots done when I was trapped in before dd. Mind you, the consultant looked at the crochet hooks on my bed and accused me of trying to set things going myself confused

SoupDragon Tue 20-Nov-12 14:34:20

That's a point - I"m told they use something akin to a crochet hook to break your waters. Maybe you could borrow one?

Somersaults Tue 20-Nov-12 18:54:46

A day or two absent and we have a tiny new blanketeer when I return! Many congratulations Pidj!

TwoJackRussellsandababy Tue 20-Nov-12 18:59:52

Congrats Pidjin

Hey there Somersaults we were on the Nov '11 antenatal thread together, hope you are well!

Somersaults Tue 20-Nov-12 19:11:48

I knew I recognised your name! We're very well thank you! How goes things one year on? I'm in the middle of an In The Night Garden birthday cake stress at the moment!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Tue 20-Nov-12 20:11:13

Congratulations Pidj and MrPidj - what a beautiful name

GraceOfWrath Tue 20-Nov-12 20:54:52

Congratulations Pidj! Welcome to the already beautifully dressed Raphael smile

hobnob57 Sat 24-Nov-12 12:22:10

I've been lurking a bit on here, having recently having an unexplained urge to take up crochet again (last attempted in early teens I think) whilst breastfeeding my newborn. What is it with babies and crochet? Congrats to Pidj.

Before I read this thread and discovered ravelry, I was on etsy and bought some patterns. They are all American and that, combined with my newbie status has left me a bit befuddled by wool. So if you can help I'd be most grateful.

One pattern uses wool ease quick and thick - is there a UK equivalent you'd recommend?

The other uses size 5 bulky yarn - what is that in UK speak?

Can't wait to get started on these now I've made weehobnob's hat.

SoupDragon Sat 24-Nov-12 13:17:39

WElcome smile

I can't suggest a brand but I think you're looking for a SUper Chunky weight yarn - the link you give says it uses a 9mm hook and a super chunky uses a 10mm hook so I guess they're similar... but I am not an expert grin The other may be a Chunky yarn - that seems to use a 6mm hook generally

Woolfey, what about this as a basic shape? Change it to whatever colour(s) you like.

Woolfey Sat 24-Nov-12 17:41:00

Thanks for that Pig, it's exactly the type of thing I was looking for, just couldn't find anything simple enough. Really good of you to think of me as it was a while ago I posted thanks thanks x

PeppermintCreams Sat 24-Nov-12 18:41:07

Hello everyone! I started crocheting two weeks ago after watching you tube videos for 12 hours.

I'm currently making a giant granny square with some random cotton dk yarn that I picked up in my LYS. They don't sell stylecraft, and neither does my local hobbycraft. Grrr.

My next project will be a granny stripe. Once I persuade OH that buying over £25 of yarn for free delivery is a good idea. grin

Hi Everyone,

Peppermint - I'm 43 rows into the granny stripe blanket, it is fabulous.

Help needed here - I am looking for instructions for a chainless foundation ripple crochet. I've tried adapting foundation treble but it isn't quite working. I have found one tutorial on Youtube but I just can't follow videos so I'm looking for step by step pictures, has anyone seen any?

SoupDragon Tue 27-Nov-12 07:24:49

I've posted the link I used on here before. I'll search it out later (but if you search for the word foundation and my poster name you may well find it easily enough - that's all I"m going to do smile

It's really no different to the ordinary foundation treble - you just need to think about how to treat the increases and decreases:

For the second stitch of an increase, you skip the chain part of the foundation row and do a normal TC into the chain of the stitch before. The next foundation stitch is also worked into this chain.

For a decrease, you do the foundation stitches as normal but complete the two decreasing trebles as you would normally so you end up with two chains at the bottom, two TC uprights with one stitch across the top - just as you would with the standard decrease.

Soupy, it's on the old thread, I think on page two or three. Still can't manage that foundation chain myself, though I wish I could. Too tired last night to follow a pattern so started a cardigan for dd2. It'll be boxy but warm smile
Bed for me, night all :D

Thanks both, I actually managed it last night after I had posted here. It was the skipping the chain on the increases where I was going wrong, my decreases were ok, but my increases were not sharp enough. You really have to concentrate on what you're doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now