Harmony prenatal test - anyone know about it

(821 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 29-Oct-12 05:41:25

today I am having a new kind of prenatal test called Harmony. It's non-invasive and seems to just be a new kind of blood test plus the regular nuchal scan but it's much more accurate than the traditional nuchal blood test. Apparently it's nearly as accurate as a CVS but without any risk.

I'm the only person I know who is having this test and nobody else seems to have heard of it let alone have been offered it. I just wondered if others have and knowledge of it and how accurate it is.

PeeksK Thu 24-Jul-14 00:07:18

At 12 weeks you will have a nuchal scan and a blood test. I believe the Harmony test can be done from 10 weeks but the results will take 2 weeks to come back.

Valsoldknickers Wed 23-Jul-14 23:55:47

Sorry, I didn't get the time to read through this whole thread but for anyone in Ireland who is curious this test can be done in the Irish Maternal Fetal Foundation in Sandyford. Downside is it costs around €800 sad

Based on my history I really needed to find out whether my baby was healthy. Thankfully all turned out ok.

PeeksK Wed 23-Jul-14 23:29:42

I have been reading this thread with interest and wanted to add my story.
I am currently 17 weeks pregnant.

My initial nuchal scan was at 13+6 by dates, the scan dated me as 14+2 and therefore I did not qualify for the combined nuchal test. We were offered the quadruple test as an alternative Down's Syndrome screen. We weren't really given a whole lot of time to consider this and so just agreed as it seemed like the done thing.

A week later I received a phone call saying that my Down's syndrome risk was 1:5. It was pretty devastating news, I'm a medic myself and this risk seemed extremely high.

The midwives at my local hospital mentioned the Harmony test to me and I had heard of it before as a friend of mine had recently had it done.

I went along to the FMC and had an early anomaly scan which was extremely reassuring. The doctor who did the scan was so thorough and really put a lot of our fears to rest. It was a much more hi tech and detailed scan than we had on the NHS.

I had the Harmony test but because the scan had been so reassuring the 2 week wait for results was not too horrendous.

I found out today that my risk is low 1:10,000. This is a massive relief to me and my husband.

We have decided that the Harmony test is a must for all future pregnancies and I would highly recommend the service at the FMC. The total cost of the scan + Harmony test was £500, but in return we have got peace of mind on which I cannot put a price!

I hope my story can be of reassurance to anyone out there reading - as reading the posts on here have really helped me and I hope to return the favour.

Kika1 Thu 10-Jul-14 23:19:37

Hi all, I've been reading this thread all evening...I'm 7 weeks pregnant and went to see my gp on Tuesday, after taking clear blue test which was positive. I've asked him about the risk, especially as I'm 39, first pregnancy and he just said, let's treat it as normal pregnancy. He said that he will contact the hospital and they will arrange a 12w scan..that's it. No blood test etc...how do I find out what is my risk factor, especially re. Downs...I guess high coz my age..isn't it too late to wait only for 12w scan? Apologies if I'm asking silly questions...just confused..should I have some other test? Should I book myself at the fmc clinic and have tests done there? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

trying29 Tue 08-Jul-14 08:47:37

i think i had to wait longer because the whole of kings department was shut last week for a world congres research event that they were all presenting at. anyway im jsut glad to have them now, and my whole family are over the moon.

BeginnerSAHM Mon 07-Jul-14 22:08:22

Hi trying! Really pleased to hear it. Guess the lab must have been busier or you hit Independence Day?!

Afraid I can't offer much more reassurance momof but I don't know of a harmony test being wrong. Statistically, you have a lower than 1/10000 chance of chromosomal abnormalities. That is an extremely high level of certainty (according to my rudimentary knowledge of statistics used to disprove null hypotheses at uni...!). I'd talk to a midwife or ask to see a doctor from the antenatal unit if you are still worried about the soft markers. Think they are called 'soft' though as they aren't diagnostically sound on their own. Hope you're feeling a bit better by now...

trying29 Mon 07-Jul-14 14:49:37

i just wanted to come back and say i got my harmony test results today and i am 1:10000 risk for downs. Really pleased with this, and its a massive weight off my mind!! nearly the full two weeks wait, and its been tough!!

Mommy2girlsandaboy Mon 30-Jun-14 03:07:22

Had nt scan and blood work, came back 1:7500 chance! Felt great ! Went in for anatomy scan, they found 2 soft markers... Extra fluid on kidney and short femur had follow up ultrasounds and still a little extra fluid around kidney but femur caught up and everything else was good.. So had harmony test : came back less 1:10000 chance .... I'm still stressing !! Help please,

I keep thinking he has DS after 2 low risk blood work and now only thing on ultra sound is the kidney . I hate feeling like this .

trying29 Sat 28-Jun-14 09:56:14

thank you for your advice! haha yes i thought u meant not high enough risk, their term was intermediate risk. congratulations on your results. heres to a less stressful pregnancy!

BeginnerSAHM Sat 28-Jun-14 09:17:56

Oh, and, they have me 1/10000 for all 3 syndromes. They just said for Down's syndrome on the phone but I asked about the other two and they said it was the same.

BeginnerSAHM Sat 28-Jun-14 09:16:43

Blinking iPhone - I mean NOT high enough risk... Sorry

BeginnerSAHM Sat 28-Jun-14 09:16:17

Hi Trying. That's still now 'high enough' risk for the doctors to suggest a CVS or amnio so try not to worry... They did tell me at King's that it would take 2 weeks. I have a friend who is over 36 and pregnant as well who also had the test an she tipped me off that the results often come quicker. Try not to expect them to though!! The blood does have to reach California and then they do whatever they do with centrifuges and studs (?) so I thought 8 days was amazing (and probably unusually fast). Good to hear your blood results were optimistic. Will cross my fingers for you

trying29 Sat 28-Jun-14 08:59:25

Hi BeginnerSAHM - great to you only had to wait 8 days.i had my scan wednesday at Kings and results came back 1/298, which i thought was quite good but perhaps not so much. not looking forward to having to wait 2 weeks so hopefully i can get mine before next weekend as well! Did they give your separate results?they told me on nuchal fluid alone, at 3.1mm and at 29 years old, my risk was 1/43 but my bloods were much better which pushed it to 1/298. I never thought id be at risk, now i cant help feeling i am going to be that 1 person with a problem

BeginnerSAHM Fri 27-Jun-14 16:03:38

Gosh - well, got my harmony results today, only 8 days after the 12 week scan and blood was taken. All good - 1/10000 of chromosomal abnormalities. V pleased. Wasn't expecting to hear before next Wednesday really... (King's NHS - part of big research study as combine test gave me odds of higher than 1/2500 so they automatically offer the test. I was low risk, 1/1200 after combined test but high enough to trigger the harmony test if I wanted it.) Hope everybody else is doing ok.

Madrigals Wed 25-Jun-14 20:10:40

Lucky, we were told they don't look at it at ten weeks, just so you are prepared. Hopefully you will have a good harmony scan and get good results back thanks

LuckyAugust Wed 25-Jun-14 18:33:05

Thanks Madrigals - reassured to know the timing of my test is ok. I suspect you're probably right too about getting a nuchal fold measurement only from 11 weeks +. A high nuchal fold measurement was the first indicator for us last time that something was wrong so was hoping that if it looked ok at 10 weeks maybe it was a very good sign all was ok???? 3 weeks and 4 days to go.......

Madrigals Tue 24-Jun-14 22:15:20

Lucky, I wondered too! FMC told me that 10 weeks is the best time for harmony. They recommend 10+2 or 10+3 as the best days to book. That is based on ultrasound dating as what matters is how large the baby is. I know that I had harmony at 9+5 as I know the day I conceived, but they dated the baby on ultrasound as 10+2 size wise, so they were happy with the date.

You can't have the nuchal measurement until 11 weeks at FMC so you have to go back again for the nuchal. Maybe Rvi do that too?

LuckyAugust Tue 24-Jun-14 22:03:36

Hi everyone, hoping for a little bit of advice. I'm booked in for harmony testing when by my dates I'll be exactly 10 weeks pregnant (21st July). Is this the earliest point they do it? Its not a local hospital for us and would hate to get there for them to say it is actually too early (although I did mention to the geneticist who arranged booking and she said from 10 weeks......). Just seems very early ???? Is a scan a routine part of the testing too? I'm going to the RVI at Newcastle and can't remember from previously if there scanning equipment was more advanced than most nhs hospitals. Basically wondering if at 10 weeks they would pick up a high nuccal fold measurement. At our local hospital they only take this measurement from 11+2 but not sure if would be different if using more advanced scanning equipment.

PresidentSpreadable Tue 24-Jun-14 13:05:39

We also got our results back today, and were also low risk 1:10,000. Very impressed that we got the results back in a week.

Madrigals Tue 24-Jun-14 12:47:38

We had our harmony results back today and were lucky enough to receive a 1 in 10,000 risk profile. I am so relieved smile

We also used FMC and the sonographer who did the 12 week scan was excellent. I wasn't as impressed with one of the earlier scans I had there though and I wonder if they use the less experienced sonographers on the viability scans.

LucyB60 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:47:23

I joined Mumsnet mainly to add to this post because it was so helpful to me when I needed it, so hope to provide some reassurance to others.
We had a 1/304 risk combined test result from the NHS (so not NHS 'high risk' but not great either). We just got the result, so no info on what went into that result, although we knew the nuchal was ok from the scan.
After some internet research I found out about the option of the harmony test, read this whole thread (!) and we decided to do it. I went to the FMC - we don't live in London but were going for a few days anyway and they fitted me in. Had the combined test again, this time resulting in 1/3200 result and found that my blood results (high HCG, but also higher Papp-A) may have been the issue. The scan there is very detailed with more factors taken into account, like nasal bone and blood flow etc, which I guess is what makes the difference.
The wait is stressful, but today the results came back (after 11 days, so earlier than expected) and we got a low risk 1/10,000 result. So, so happy obviously! If anyone out there is thinking of having harmony test, and you can find the money for it, then I would say go for it. The FMC were great too - very friendly and professional - so on the basis of my experience I would recommend. Good luck and best wishes to anyone waiting for results xx

PresidentSpreadable Mon 23-Jun-14 12:43:57

I had my Harmony test at the FMC last week Daisy, they are lovely. I had a nice detailed mini-anomaly scan as part of the package. Good luck.

Daisybell1 Mon 23-Jun-14 06:40:09

Thank you SAHM, chatted to OH last night and he's agreed to go for the FMC, partly because of the special offer, but mainly because of the experience they have.

Thank you for your help

BeginnerSAHM Sun 22-Jun-14 21:44:02

Daisybell - think the fmc is professor nicolaides if you want to google him. He's definitely the leading (or one of the leading) doctors for antenatal testing. The blood test is sent off to a lab in California so they do all the testing - the people in the uk just take the blood.

Daisybell1 Sun 22-Jun-14 21:33:56

PS Madrigals - just seen you're waiting for results - good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now