started on sertraline for pnd - hand holding needed

(33 Posts)
emblosion Mon 30-Jul-12 18:35:29

Hi all, I have a 5 week old baby and have just been diagnosed with pnd and prescribed sertraline.

Feel a bit scared of taking them & possible side effects with such a young baby to look after, but I can't go on feeling as rotten as I have been. Had a v traumatic labour/delivery although we both came out of it ok and this all just feels so unfair. DS was desperately wanted, I was so delighted to be pregnant after trying for 2 years and now I feel like this. I feel a total failure and as though I am ruining it for everyone. DH deserves a happy wife that can cope, DS deserves a mum that isn't a weepy nervous wreck and I want e to be happy and enjoy my baby. sad

Just wanted to vent and some handholding really, has anyone experienced similar and come out the other side, will I start to feel normal again?

What time of day is it best to take tablets? Are the side effects going to be awful?

Would really appreciate any advice/support I just feel so lost & the intensity of how I feel and how quickly It's come on has really knocked me sideways.

thunderpantsjenkins Sun 12-Aug-12 13:03:19

A Sertraline success story here. Firstly though so sorry to hear you are feeling like this - it's so horrid being stuck in a pit of post labour depression/anxiety.

My DS is now 10 months and like you I had a very traumatic/intense and painful labour which resulted in a letter of complaint to the hospital (another story). I'm a bit of an anxious type anyway but what happened to me after the birth was awful. I was depressed but felt a huge amount of shame/embarrassment about the birth and about feeling that low. I developed obsessive thoughts which completely took over my life, plus suicidal thoughts on top of all that. Finally started taking the Sertraline after 2 months.

It was a slow improvement due to the sleepless nights, continuous BF and hormone crash but around 3 or 4 months later I started to feel myself again but even better. I got my creativity back again which had disappeared many years ago and I felt confident in my own opinions and choices again.

8 months on and I can honestly say my life has transformed. Instead of obsessive thoughts 95% of the day I now obsess about 5%. The energy my brain previously used for obsessive thinking is now being used to do fun and useful stuff. I wish I had started taking them years ago.

You have done the first and hardest step of going to get help from the GP so well done you. It will be all up hill from now on and you will get better. Feel free to PM me if you need any more help or advice.

thunderpantsjenkins Sun 12-Aug-12 13:32:26

....by the way didn't have many side effects just a slightly tight jaw for the first few weeks and also anxiety was worse for a few weeks . Lost my ability to orgasm for about 4 months but this came back. Started taking them with breakfast at first but now take them in evening as they make me a bit sleepy.

emblosion Mon 13-Aug-12 11:25:06

Wow, I just want to thank everyone again for the amazing support on this thread. It really means such a lot to me to know I'm not going through this alone.

Thunderpants - our experiences sound very similar, I'm an anxious personality type too, and looking back I can see my anxiety level in pregnancy prob wasn't normal, but it was managable iyswim. Labour was basically my worst nightmare scenario where one thing after another went wrong, but I was lucky in that the staff were very good.

Been on the sertraline for 2 weeks now and I am starting to feel a bit more normal, you know, not better but I feelore able to cope! Am expecting ups and downs but Long may it continue.

mrsmandm Sun 16-Sep-12 14:37:48

Could I ask if any of you breast fed while taking strealine? Been prescribed it but been putting off starting it as don't want to stop feeding - too stressed and exhausted to make a decision to put dd on the bottle x

SloeFarSloeGood Sun 16-Sep-12 14:41:07

I breastfed on sertraline without any ill effects.

emblosion Wed 19-Sep-12 15:02:05

Hey mrsmandm, I'm not breastfeeding BUT I know others that have on sertraline & on citalopram and all babies (and mums) have been fine.

Quick update while I'm here, been in sertraline for 7 weeks & am a million times better than I was. My mood has levelled off in the last week or so, so I might increase my dose from 50mg - seeing psych Dr. on Mon so will see what she says.

Anyone that's wondering about whether to take ad's, I would say if you think you need them, do it. I've been feeling really back to normal again, bonding really well with my beautiful son & really so so much better & you will be too.

thunderpantsjenkins Thu 20-Sep-12 20:46:36

That's lovely news Emblosion. So glad for you.

mrsmandm Sat 22-Sep-12 21:53:48

Thanks for your help and great to hear you're on the up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now