Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2014 - thread 6 - BLUE/PINK/YELLOW the finding out begins!!!

(1000 Posts)
sazzlehopes Fri 09-May-14 20:54:25

The fun and chat continues! We are heading over halfway ladies. Old thread is here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/2052958-October-2014-thread-5-Bigger-bumps

ldt87 Fri 09-May-14 21:00:13

Thanks for the new thread! As I posted last ill just repeat that my scan is Monday when I'll be 18+4. Does anyone know if this is an okay time for the anomaly scan?

We will be finding out the gender if possible as I'm out numbered by my husband and older girls wanting to know. As it's my husbands first and only i have let him decide.

How is everyone? Xx

puppythedog Fri 09-May-14 21:03:03

Marking my space on the thread :-) Good luck with Scan LDT

Grannyapple Fri 09-May-14 21:07:24

Just copying from last thread as I posted after new one was created!

Well hello there ladies!! My god, you can all natter ...tho since I'm now back at work, I barely get a chance to come on here!

My god, some of you have horrific MIL's!! Mine is totally fine...can be a bit annoying but is great with the kids & is the only grandparent they've got. She visits every couple of months & always makes sure DH & I get a night out wgen she visits too!

Not thought about names yet...3 wks til our scan so will wait til then.

Just wanted to say about the gap between appts for those on no 2 etc...my mw said to ignore the gaps & just make an appt to see them whenever I thought I needed to. But just wanted to say that most work maternity policies state that you must notify your employer no later than 15 wks before due date...& that usually involves giving them your MATB1 form which you get from mw...I'm hoping to see mine at 23/24wks for this reason..

Been having god awful headaches since I've been back at work...& had a nice bit of conjunctivitis yesterday! Can see why babies don't like it...is bloody annoying/irritating....

Got mw to hear hb tomorrow..should be easier at 17 + 2 than at 15 + 2. Tho I've been feeling (& seeing) movements past few days..DH keeps saying he keeps forgetting I'm pregnant til he felt some of the movements...which is a bit silly as I'm obviously soo pregnant!!

fedupofrainydays Fri 09-May-14 21:12:21

Hi. Thanks for the new thread sazzle.

I'm a bit heartbroken today. My horse I've had since I was 15 had to be put down yesterday. I was away with work so my mum didn't tell me til I got back tonight sad I'm devastated. I know some of you are horsey so will understand. He was awesome. sad

But on a positive note, I had a reassurance scan on weds - was having a panic. Was told on the phone before hand they wouldn't be able to see much more than to check HB and growth and wouldn't be able to see the things I was worried about (abnormalities). But they were wrong and the sonographer basically did all the checks of the anomaly scan. I was 17.5 weeks. She said because I'm slim / not much body fat they can see it all. It was so reassuring and I cried (again). Sonographer was amazing lady and told me everything and looked for all the usual things and everything looked normal. Such a huge relief as have been having bad dreams etc. now two weeks till proper anomaly scan. But am much calmer now. Best £60 I have spent in a while!!

So ltd it will be fine if you are on the slimmer side... Otherwise it should be at least 20 wks. (Apparently)

Grannyapple Fri 09-May-14 21:13:12

Oh & meant to say...I can relate to that comment your MIL made on meeting you kirsti...I had a comment of "see, I always wondered if you were gay" said with a giggle...by one of DH's older brothers...

Thanks for the new thread Sazzle.
I think a lot of MILs think we "steal" their babies, mine does as we live a whole 3 hours away, gasp. She's better since we got married but don't think she'll be overly hands on with baby.
We've got a definite boys name but there are so many girls names to choose from smile Still have another 4-5 months to choose though!

ExcitedCJ Fri 09-May-14 21:24:27

(posted on previous thread)...

What new level of hell is this? I have had constipation for the last 2 days. I have just spent 3/4 hr on the toilet in searing pain. I thought I was going to go into labour! I'm still in pain now.. Owchy!
I had it last night at a communal toilet on a campsite & I was there so long the light went out & I was sat in the dark with my wind up LED torch. Oh the shame.

STIGZ Fri 09-May-14 21:49:47

Awwww thats so so sad fed up really sorry to hear that

mum2kiss Fri 09-May-14 21:56:42

We're talking up a storm! Thanks for the new thread smile

magichandles Fri 09-May-14 22:26:10

I generally get on fairly well with MIL - she has her moments, but then I'm sure we all do. But, I did develop a completely irrational hatred of her during my last pregnancy - I had lots of appointments towards the end and I basically ended up refusing to let her look after DC1 - I still don't know why, I just didn't want her around. Fortunately DH was pretty tactful about it and I don't think she ever knew.

queenasanti3 Fri 09-May-14 22:38:43

Just jumping on board this thread. I cant believe were in the run up to 20 week scans, its so exciting hearing everyones news on finding out if their having boys or girls, iam still a bit unsure if I want to find out or not, but have just under 2 weeks to decide, wishing everyone luck with their next scans.

Bumpforme2014 Fri 09-May-14 22:44:24

Thanks for the new thread, time is flying by now I think. Only seems like yesterday we were all talking 12 weeks scans now the 20 week is around the corner, I'm so excited to find out sex and see baby again.

My MIL is lovely and she loves me thank god, she doesn't see me as taking her son away because she has her own life and never the type of mum to make her life about her kids. She also had a terrible relationship with her own MIL so swore never to be like that.

Constipation is not something i suffer with, I am the opposite and on meds to stop me going so much haha

I will be 20+3 at my next scan, wish it was sooner I thought it had to be 20 weeks exactly.

Kirstipops Fri 09-May-14 23:28:32

Oh fedup I'm so sorry, what horrible news for you to come back to, really gutted for you sad I'm glad your scan was so good though, one less thing to weigh on your mind x

I have a draft email saved in work with a list of baby names I like as they occur to me (a grand total of 5 so far), we prob won't tell anyone the names we've settled on though, I'd like to have a few names in mind so that when we see our little guy/lady at last we'll be able to make the decision then, based on "S/he looks more like an 'x' than a 'y'" hehe.

LOL Grannyapple, my DH has 2 brothers and 2 sisters, I do wonder if the thought ever crossed their minds as well, as DH isn't the most communicative!

Eek Excited that sounds awful (Though the image of you bearing down by the light of a torch made me giggle, sorry!) ! As long as I drink enough I find I'm fairly regular.

I think the "fluttering" has kicked in for me now, it feels more like I've got a bucketload of Space Dust popping candy in there though than butterflies!! 3 sleeps til my 20 week scan smile

porcito Fri 09-May-14 23:32:56

ldt, I thought I was just over 19 weeks, but turned out it was a week behind in terms of size, and they could see everything. Well, everything except its girl/boy bits, but that was only because it was hiding them. I asked if she could see all its organs, and she said she could. It measured exactly 18 weeks yesterday. Though its giant head is still on over 19...

My MIL is nice, but scary. She's a very traditional Mexican woman, so is going to be horrified when she finds out I'm going back to work so soon. On the plus side, she's excellent at making her son do everything for me during this pregnancy. I've turned into a lazy beast.

ldt87 Fri 09-May-14 23:52:42

I'm not too concerned, it's a consultant scan so hoping she made the appointment then for a reason. If not hopefully she'll be able to get a good look. I can't believe the October thread is at this point already xx

FlipFantasia Sat 10-May-14 04:03:00

Marking my place on the new thread! So exciting to be at the 20 week scan stage! A week and a half for me - can't wait to see the baby again. We have a boy name but not a girl one yet.

It's Mother's Day here on Sunday, so We've having an impromptu weekend away at the family lake house in the mountains in eastern Pennslyvania. Very rustic and relaxing! The kids love it here, we'll be out kayaking with them tomorrow and seeing what cool wildlife we can spot. Though DH has a cough that will keep me awake all night (will keep him mostly awake too I imagine, poor guy).

Grannyapple Sat 10-May-14 07:04:16

Heh heh kirsti..DH also has 2 brothers & 2 sisters...made for an interesting night, me meeting them all & all their partners for the first time...me being only 19 & I only have a sister so not used to big gatherings. All good now tho...love them (tho somehow there always seems to be a wee bit of drama with one of them at some point grin).

I had a dream I missed my mw appt today & she calked me to ask if I missed it cos it was "personal"? Best make sure I'm not late for it then...oh & need to remember my wee sample this time...

Loulou888 Sat 10-May-14 07:16:37

fedup that's really sad hope you are okay. excited sadly painful wind and constipation are a regular occurrence this pregnancy. I'm onto peppermint tea it does help a bit

binkybunny Sat 10-May-14 07:33:53

Fedup big hugs to you that really is awful. Hope you're doing ok?

We have names and have told everyone who wants to know. They are Isabella Francine or Joshua Paul. Only negative comments are from the two grandmas to be. The one from MIL about the shortened name and my mum about our chouce of boys middle name.

Someone said they dont see the point of middle names. My thinking is I knew I was in trouble if my mum called me by both names so I hope I have the same effect grin

bumpbangbump Sat 10-May-14 08:42:16

Thanks for the new thread. Maybe we should have a separate stats thread so this one doesn't get used up so quickly. It seems the October mummas can talk!!

Getting so excited about next scan now. We're not planning on finding out but all these posts are making me want to a bit. I must stay strong as it was so perfect when my oh told me we had a boy last time. I've decided I'd like another boy really, the idea of a teenage girl fills me with dread...

We have a girls name but if we have a boy I swear he'll be call number 2 at this rate, we can't agree on any at all!

Binglesplodge Sat 10-May-14 09:15:05

Loving hearing about everyone's scans! I can't wait for ours, which is 2 weeks today. I don't think I'll be able to properly relax and enjoy being pregnant until the anomaly scan has ruled out any major problems.

I seem to be feeling everything very early on - I felt proper kicks last night and when they were still going after a few minutes I got my husband to come so he could feel them too - the look on his face when he felt the first one was priceless! I couldn't believe it: in the last week or so I'd felt little popcorn pops but this was different and felt very definite. I'm only 17+4 but am a little person (5'4" and 7 and a half stone pre-pregnancy) so perhaps that makes it easier to feel what's going on?

Me23 Sat 10-May-14 09:42:37
Oklahoma Sat 10-May-14 09:52:59

I've still not felt anything sad but not due until end of October so I guess I just need to be patient!

Love hearing about all the different family relationships, it's crazy how different they all are.

ldt87 Sat 10-May-14 10:12:03

I only occasionally feel movement but I have an anterior placenta so it doesn't concern me, it's getting more regular at night when I'm lying down but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll feel more xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.