Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Martians 2014 thread 16: the babies are arriving!

(272 Posts)
commsgirl Thu 13-Mar-14 13:26:32

New thread smile

puggywug81 Sun 06-Apr-14 01:16:01

Congratulations Dita You are one brave lady, hope you and your little man are both doing well now. thanks

OwlinaTree Sat 05-Apr-14 23:58:32

Congratulations dita, sounds like it was pretty scary but that your son is now doing really well. I hope you recover soon.

EmFlat Sat 05-Apr-14 21:00:02

Congratulations Dita, and what a fab name for the littl'un! Like the Irish nod wink Glad you're both ok and that you're feeling better after the formula decision - sanity is key for a new mamma xxx.

commsgirl Sat 05-Apr-14 19:42:36

Dita you amazing lady! I'm so glad to hear things are settling down for you - hope they continue to improve and your UTI clears up fast thanks

DitaVonCreamTeas Sat 05-Apr-14 18:33:15

Huge congratulations to all you sprogging Martians flowers

I've been offline for the last 2 weeks as I've felt totally overwhelmed with all the emotions and stuff that's been going on, but James Charles Oisin VonCreamTeas was born at 8.00am, Sunday 23rd March, weighing 7lbs.

We had a really difficult birth with my cervix refusing to open despite days of agonising and frequent contractions. I think we had pretty much all the interventions possible, and I was minutes away from an emergency C-section as James had the cord tightly wound around his neck and his heart-rate was falling dramatically with each contraction. I had an epidural that failed, so had to have a spinal block with a huge internal episiotomy (didn't even know that was possible) so they could reach inside me, rotate James (he was at a weird angle) then pull him out with forceps. Amazingly he had an apgar score of all 9s and came out shouting.

I then had a really traumatic first night with him in the hospital as I was unable to get out of bed or lift him out of his cot sad which made me feel horrible. When we were finally discharged we had a week of James screaming constantly, which I found heartbreakingly awful, and loosing too much weight - I was breastfeeding and despite being told that I was doing everything right and that James had a great latch I just wasn't making enough milk to feed him. Then my milk dried up completely sad.

However, the midwife team were amazing and told me to switch to formula for the sake of our sanity and his health - instant difference. James in looking much better, is gaining weight and scream much less smile and I'm starting to feel like I can be his mum properly. DH is has been a freaking hero throughout.

My stitches are healing well and my arse is slightly less sore (good old doughnut cushion) but I'm feeling a bit crappy today with a UTI probably caused by catheter damage, got some antibiotics for it.

So not quite the calm birth I was hoping for, but we got there in the end.

puggywug81 Sat 05-Apr-14 16:19:39

We are hoping to go home today, we are both just waiting to get checked over now.

Fender1 Sat 05-Apr-14 10:02:34

Aww K8eee I love Jessica, was on my shortlist if Luke was a girl smile
And I'm sorry to admit I laughed out loud at your piles comment - not something you expect to hear from a doctor every day.
I'm sure you'll get loads of advice from ladies in similar positions as it were...
Hi Puggy, are you and Finlay home from hosp yet?

puggywug81 Sat 05-Apr-14 09:17:48

Aww K8eee hope the piles go down soon, Tue stitches and bruising is bad enough!

Jessica is a beautiful name.

K8eee Sat 05-Apr-14 06:41:00

congrats puggy that's wonderful news thanks I too had an episiotomy, and I now have horrendous piles too sad feel like my bum is about to fall out. Fingers x some anusol helps. even the Dr said I've got impressive looking piles blush

K8eee Sat 05-Apr-14 06:38:09

Morning everyone, sorry for the slow answer. yes we have a name finally, little baby Jessica smile

puggywug81 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:55:24

Congratulations K8eee, have you picked a name?

Thanks Owlina, Comms and Fender

Fender1 Fri 04-Apr-14 05:55:47

Congratulations Puggy and K8eee!
See you all on the post natal thread grin

commsgirl Thu 03-Apr-14 23:24:50

Congratulations thanks

Puggy just tried a bath with milk, tea tree and lavender in -amazing!

K8eee Thu 03-Apr-14 20:26:39

Little girl smile such an ordeal with the birth bit totally worth it grin

EmFlat Thu 03-Apr-14 20:06:41

Yay K8eee! grin

OwlinaTree Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:37

Congratulations puggy what a weight!! Lovely name too.

Congrats k8ee!! Boy or girl?

K8eee Thu 03-Apr-14 17:09:03

Well baby was born this morning after 20 hours of induced labour at 6:06am weighing 7 pound 8

puggywug81 Thu 03-Apr-14 14:23:08

Thanks Em

EmFlat Thu 03-Apr-14 14:01:07

Congratulations Puggy!

puggywug81 Thu 03-Apr-14 11:00:45

Thanks for the advice Comms I really appreciate it,the stitches do scare me a bit as does the amount of swelling!

commsgirl Thu 03-Apr-14 10:42:38

Amazing news, well done you! And what a weight!

A few things that have helped me with stitches this week - try have a bath/shower first thing and last thing. I was told that a cup of milk and a few drops of tea tree in your bath works really well but I haven't got round to getting any yet. Dry yourself off with the cold setting on the hairdryer. Make sure you always sit on lots of cushions! I've been doubling up my maternity pads for a bit of extra padding. Day 4 was the worst for me pain wise but still completely bearable (just keep up with your painkillers) and now on day 8 I'm feeling really well. Sorry if you knew all that already but they're things I wish someone had told me!

Enjoy little Finlay thanks

puggywug81 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:16:34

Hello ladies we have April baby!

Baby Finlay born 1.48am 2/4/14 10lb 14oz!

Laboured in the birthing pool for 10hrs by which time it was clear his head was stuck, was helped out of the pool, a quick epesiotomy and within about 10mins little Fin was into the world. Nobody had any idea he was that big till he actually came out! As you can imagine quite a few stitches were needed but everyone at the birth Centre has been amazing, made it a really good experience.

commsgirl Thu 03-Apr-14 05:41:10

Hope you're getting on well ladies!

Fender1 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:42:17

How are you getting on K8eee and Puggy? Thinking of you wink

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 03:38:38

puggy how are you getting on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now