Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2014 - is there an octopus in there?

(1000 Posts)
LittlePandaBear Fri 08-Nov-13 21:58:53

Okay I don't like to run out of things, even threads, so here's the new one.

Can't remember who described their baby kicking like an octopus but it's very true smile

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:16:47

biscuit

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:16:36

biscuit

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:16:19

But I have nothing witty nor useful to say

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:15:50

Up.

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:15:39

Fill this one...

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 22:15:27

If we've started a new thread we've got to...

bugsyburge Fri 29-Nov-13 20:41:42

sorry so many are feeling crappy envy hopefully the fact it's the weekend and nearly a start of a new month makes you feel a little better!!!!

thanks for your help champs much appreciated

GOT to start Xmas shopping this weekend, Arghhhh

Somanychanges Fri 29-Nov-13 20:19:50

Misskat that does sound like BH. I always get them when walking around. Nothing to worry about though, hope you are enjoying your time off. And hope you get back home soon.

Unplastered I feel like that about boys clothes. Having a girl was completely different, the excitement of clothes shopping was so amazing. When my son came along it just did not compare. It will be painful to sell my daughters clothes they are all so cute. But I gave my sons clothes away as soon as he grew out of them.

However, I have seen some really cute bits lately for boys. Just gutted I can't buy them but secretly hoping my friends have got me some cute bits.

lastnight and Marzi hope you have a better sleep tonight.

Thingy that's funny about the dentist. I have been super clumsy too. This evening I put the oven gloves on the burning gas hob. Didn't realise until it had caught fire oops!

Champs sorry you are feeling so sick that's such a horrid way to start the day. But we are so very nearly there and then no more sickness.

I baked some gingerbread men with my DS and ate about 5 blush. I am now off to have a lavender bath and then DH and I are going to watch a movie in bed and have an early night. It's about time I have him some attention.

Night all wink

DawnOfTheDee Fri 29-Nov-13 19:45:50

New thread here ladies. Jump on board! smile

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 19:28:37

Pricey, but I love zara and gap for boys clothes. Especially zara...

Champagnebubble Fri 29-Nov-13 19:22:25

Marzi, I really feel for you. If it helps make you feel less alone I was pukey again this morning all the way through my shower. Then nauseous on/off, I don't care about sleepless nights, bring them on, I just don't want to puke anymore!!!!!!! I've never had three for the price of one, two but not three. Poor you thanks

Littleen your butler comment made me laugh!!! grin

Totally exhausted my end, sleeping OK ish but I'm so ready to stop work now. I can't cope with the commute and a demanding job, and I don't want to do a shit job so I'm trying to do the best I can knowing it's not normal....iyswim. confused

Bugsy, sorry for not replying sooner, I was so tired last night I didn't read the thread. Ref student loan, it will stop deducting when you dip below the minimum threshold so when you're on mat pay it will stop. Depending on your mat leave policy and your salary you may have deductions continue initially but def not in the latter stages. Ref tax in smp this will also be in accordance with the lower tax codes as earnings are lower so taxed at the rate in accordance with that band. If you Google hmrc tax bands it should produce a tax code table which will probably send you to sleep which will help you work out how much tax/ni you will pay. There is also a tax calculator on there. HTH grin.

Getting horrid back ache my end, it's upper back ache though and it really hurts. sad. Any tips to help upper pain welcome smile

lastnightopenedmyeyes Fri 29-Nov-13 19:10:45

I also loved buying boys baby clothes for DS. H&M is great, and John Lewis too.

Thingymajigs Fri 29-Nov-13 18:09:11

Oh I should say- don't worry if my secret santa has bought something blue, that's all great. I'm just indifferent about buying baby clothes for myself at the moment. Gifts are very different. smile

Thingymajigs Fri 29-Nov-13 18:03:06

I'm completely bored by boys clothes now I'm expecting my third. I'm struggling to buy anything because I'm sick of blue. People have bought for us though so at least I've saved money. If this was a girl I'd have gone pink crazy.
H&M, John Lewis and Gap have some nice things occasionally.

LovesToBake Fri 29-Nov-13 17:58:41

Unplastered I'd disagree! I have loved boys clothes with my DS. Most of his wardrobe has been H&M, have you tried there?

Unplastered Fri 29-Nov-13 17:52:23

Is it really wrong of me to wish this baby is a girl because I just can't get excited by boys clothes? Honestly. They're boring!

Thingymajigs Fri 29-Nov-13 16:57:54

Decided to go and see the dental hygienist today because of bleeding gums due to pregnancy hormones and because its free. The hygienist recognised me from my son's school which instantly made everything awkward. Then she proceeded to stare in to my mouth to scale my teeth and then I managed to bite her. shock I bit a dental hygienist. Tbf she shouldn't have asked me a question while her fingers were in my mouth but I ended up running out afterwards in embarrassment after forgetting my left from my right when she told me which bin to put the tissue in. confused Then I was so flustered I forgot to sign the dental form. I must have looked like I was doing a runner from paying. More embarrassment. Cringe.
There we go. Now you can all feel better about your days and I can stop cringing to myself.
On a better note I've bought my secret santa gift. Time to get moderately excited oblivious giftee. grin Although I'm not posting it for a bit yet so don't hold your breath.

Poppy954 Fri 29-Nov-13 14:40:29

Sorry first sentence should say 'you can choose to continue with xx'

Poppy954 Fri 29-Nov-13 14:23:40

somany give her a choice. Eg. You can either continue to choose to continue with xx behaviour and accept the consequences will be xxx OR you can choose to follow the rules and then you'll be able to get on with your work etc. then if she carries on make sure you apply the consequences and let her know she's chosen that course of action. If she does comply then praise her for making a good choice. Then next time give her a fresh start.

Sorry to hear of all the insomnia, sickness etc. hope everyone has a good weekend.

misskatamari Fri 29-Nov-13 13:35:30

Awww somany I'm glad you're enjoying school. I'd say you were spot on giving the girl consequences yourself and don't be afraid to be firm with the kids. It's much easier to get nicer if you start off a bit stern than the other way around smile I agree with the hot baths too - I sleep better after having a lovely hot (warm) bath.

Bought my secret Santa gift today yaaaaaay! Very exciting.

Julietee Fri 29-Nov-13 13:31:46

Argh, really frustrating midwife appt for 28 weeks. She was young and rather vague and SHIT at taking blood - tapped at my veins for a good 5 mins before trying then managed to get one vial. Have to get it redone by a nurse on monday.

Littleen Fri 29-Nov-13 13:25:04

Sorry for everyone having rubbish sleeps! Seems most of us are struggling with it, and sadly it probably is not going to get better. I honestly think though, that it will be easier to get up for the baby than I currently do for our 3 cats. Feel like a bloody butler opening and closing doors all night - can't wait to get a catflap!!

Jazz you could always try to get a lose satin sheet on top of your normal sheet? My physio recommended it as you can then roll with the sheet, so I'm off to buy one tomorrow!

marzi you poor thing grin thanks Not long left now, and then you can feel all the better!

somany I had a similar night, absolutely fretting about "what the hell am I doing having a baby" - only three months left with my other half and no baby, and how on earth will I cope with it all, what if the baby is neglected by me! Still panicking slightly, will have a chat with my boyfriend later I think :P Enjoy your baby shower not jealous at all !

notoneforselfies Fri 29-Nov-13 13:18:21

oh Marzi - the trifecta of horror - you poor thing! I am seriously getting no work done at all today. Useless. Maybe a lunchtime nap is in order...

camwombat Fri 29-Nov-13 11:36:27

Again for anyone not on the fb group. The NHS used to give out two books one covering pregnancy and one borth to five apparently they still do in Wales, these were worth their weight in gold to me and I still refer to the birth to five one. I have them both on pdf, if anyone wants a copy, pm me your email and I can send to you. I might try and set up a dropbox with all the nct leaflets on too.

Shrops fab thread title, I nearly choked on my cereal this morning! we're getting close to someone starting it.

Marzi that sounds awful, three out three definately wins the "grim" award of the week.

I imagine sleeping sitting up would help, thats what they recommend for babies with reflux or at a minimum their bed on an angle. DS sleeps with a pillow under his mattress as well as with one to help keep his ears clear.

Somanychanges Fri 29-Nov-13 11:31:14

Hi all,

Sorry to hear some of you are having such rubbish sleep. I have been the same and the other night I actually started having a major panic moment. I had been so tired I went to bed at 8pm and at 1am I was still tossing and turning. I suddenly had an irrational anxiety moment where I decided there was no way I could cope with a new born and sleepless nights and came to the conclusion he would have to be adopted as being so tired was going to ruin my life make me depressed and affect my children.

So after falling asleep at about 3am I woke up feeling normal again, be it very tired. And can't believe I was thinking like that.

Anyway the bit I wanted to get to is, I had a bath on Wednesday night. Haven't had one of those in a long time (I do shower honest). It was very very hot and I just lay there for an hour with some lavender in the bath. After I felt too hot and regretted having the bath. BUT! And here is the exciting bit, I had the best nights sleep of my whole pregnancy so far. Did not toss and turn all night and only needed to go for a wee at about 6am. So maybe we all need to be taking very hot baths with lavender.

Last night however, I was too tired to run a bath and yet again I slept badly. And the addition of my little girl wetting the bed and having to get up and change all her covers at 3am.

So some good and not so good news!

I started my work at the school finally, suddenly I have no time to do anything. But enjoying being busy and a new challenge. I have been put with year 6's and I have only ever worked in infants before. So it's really great doing something new. I never would have chosen to work with year 6's as would have been worried about attitude. But apart from one girl all seems ok.

Teachers, you may advise me here. This girl was so rude to me (testing new teacher) and told me her name was something it wasn't. So here I am calling her the wrong name and she thinks its hilarious, her and the girl next to her are in fits of laughter. When I ask her to get on with her work she just says no and carries on being silly. So I asked the Teacher what she would usually do if a child is consistently rude. She told me the consequence and I did this for the girl. She was not very happy with me but hasn't been rude since. So I am hoping that I have done the right thing. I just have always been very soft and gentle in my approach to working with children. I don't want that to change but I am thinking I may have to be a bit more stern at times as they seem to think I am a bit of a push over. Also it's hard only being a helper as I don't feel like I have the authority of the teachers.

Another bit if good news, my friend is throwing me a baby shower tomorrow. It's only a small group of us about 5/6 I don't know exactly who is coming as she has not let me be involved its all a surprise. It's a bit early I know but didn't want it to get in the mix of Christmas and new year as then everyone would be busy. Plus as I may have prem baby late January may be too late. So I am quite excited to see all my girlies all together and eat cake.

Bad news is that DH is not entitled to Paternity leave as he is new to the job. Which means he will have to use his annual leave. Which in turn I know means he won't take more than a week. I wanted him home for 2 weeks that might be greedy but I am worried about school runs and getting myself together in the morning. So I just wanted a few weeks to he used to things. Oh well I suppose I am lucky to have even that. DH and I were separated when our first was born so I didn't have anyone at home then and that was hard. At least I have him home for a week.

And to end on a good note, I am really excited about the secret Santa I have decided on one little thing but just have to think of the other thing to add. I am buying for baby is that ok?

This thread is not accepting new messages.