Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2013 - waddling slowly onwards

(988 Posts)
LadyMedea Mon 30-Sep-13 19:26:36

Our new thread!

ringaringarosy Thu 24-Oct-13 10:27:40

i had delayed cord clamping with all of mine,apparently it will be part of the the guidlines in the next 2 years,its one third of the babys blood!

I have decided i am having a placenta smoothie after the birth!Have spoken to doula and midwife about it,apparently it tastes just like a normal smoothie as they only use a thumb sized piece of placenta.Midwife says she think its a good idea as my iron levels are just borderline so it will be good for after the birth.

meanbumpy no warts, just a grumpy pregnant woman like me grin

LadyMedea Wed 23-Oct-13 22:29:34

It's that time again to start a new thread as we are nearly out of room.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1890790-December-2013-creeping-closer-but-no-more-hospital-stays-please-god

I reckon delayed cord clamping is on the verge of making it into the NICE guidelines as there is so much evidence for its benefits.

I was also screaming at that episode of Under the Dome saying 'leave the cord intact, that what's keeping the baby alive!'. Unless the cord is compromised in some way or there is a placental haemorrhage you are always better leaving the baby attached to the life support system it's been using for 9 months.

thedizzy1 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:14:42

Hello everyone. .. would you believe that I've read all of the thread thus far, I feel like I know you all!! Im only just 30 weeks but due to have a c-section at 37 weeks- it's looking like it'll be the week before Christmas now- bit of a stress as we already have a ds of 9, and a dd of 18 months...
Apart from ligament and muscle pain, and fairly constant headaches I seem to be surviving this pregnancy relatively unscathed- a huge relief as it's a high-risk one.
I hope everyone feeling terrible gets some good rest, and that yiu don't mind me crashing the paery so lare inthe day!!

NomDeClavier Wed 23-Oct-13 21:41:59

I also had delayed cord clamping with DS and will be asking for it this time too. Definitely worth thinking about.

As for twins being late and a water birth - the twins born the same day as DS were a water birth at 39+5 which isn't really early for any baby so not necessarily unrealistic!!! He by himself was heavier than the two of them together though!

whisper I'm doing them in the round because I flipping hate sewing up.

meandbumpy Wed 23-Oct-13 21:36:33

mum that's really interesting about leaving the cord attached for longer. How long does it usually take for the placenta to stop, is it a matter of minutes or longer?

meandbumpy Wed 23-Oct-13 21:29:57

Thank you everyone for all your kind words, it's lovely to have you all to talk to while I'm stuck on my own in the week, you're all so nice. We are much better now and probably stronger for all we went through, just bad timing I suppose but hit me like a tonne of bricks when it all kicked off. Had a cry earlier and that helped a lot.

LadyMedea you must be a very strong person and a strong couple to get through all of that and come out the other side. It's really admirable that you stuck by your dh and that he managed to work through his issues. Depression can be such a horrid illness for everyone involved.

Claire that's hilarious, do you imagine me as a mean woman covered in worts!?! It does worry me that my name shortens to mean too, i didn't think about that when choosing it. Should have been a tad more inventive i think grin

Stom91 Wed 23-Oct-13 21:07:09

Mum I saw that on under the dome and thought it was abit weird. Also if my mw is like the one on hollyoaks I'll go mad. She went to go for a pee while the lady was crowning! Lol

mumoftwoboysS Wed 23-Oct-13 20:53:35

I can't find out who talked about that birth on Hollyoaks but it reminded me of a scene in Under The Dome (stephen king book made into a series on tv) anyway, this lady is giving birth and the doctor says the cord is around her neck but the doc is incapaciated (long story) so someone else has to step in and save the day- he cuts the cord whilst it's wrapped around the baby's neck when only the head has been delivered. I'd never heard of this and thought it was bullshit (also laughed at how the doc kept saying 'push' push'! all the time and not waiting for a contraction) anyway I googled it and apparently it does happen on rare occasions, then I came across an article all about how, like many interventions, it's known to cause more harm than good. So, for those of you who are interested here's a link to a birth story of someone who went through it. She campaigns for more awareness now and to educate people/midwives that the cord should not be tampered with.

If you're looking for a natural birth with as little intervention as possible then you'll want to read this. I have, with both previous births, asked for the cord to be left until it stops pulsating to make sure all the blood from the placenta goes into the baby (second time round it was perfect as I was waiting outside the hospital with baby in my arms, cord still attached, so there was plenty of time for that!) This lady also goes on to say how her son has now been diagnosed with Autism and although there are no studies/scientific evidence to link premature cord clamping (and thus lack of blood/oxygen to the brain) with Autism or other developmental disorders, it's an interesting one to think about.

giftedbirthsupport.com/2011/06/01/birth-story-nuchal-cord/?blogsub=confirming#subscribe-blog

I'm certainly going to talk to my midwife about it...

LadyMedea Wed 23-Oct-13 19:48:37

meandbumpy that reminds me of what was happening Xmas 2011 in our lives, every now and then it still pops up and makes me sad. DH had moved into the spare room and asked for a separation in early January. He had been behaving appallingly for nearly a year but I knew that he was depressed and wasn't himself... Unfortunately before he saw the light he managed to have a brief affair... No idea how I got through that but since he's had therapy and dealt with his issues he's a changed man. We are so happy as a couple now I'm glad I hung on for grim death.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts thanks

DD had a nice long nap this afternoon and after she woke up I let her have a couple of crackers, she's now had about 6 in total and touch wood no more puking since, I think if she can get through the night she'll be on the mend. Got the midwife tomorrow so she'll have to come along too, that could be fun!

Sorry to hear about your troubles meandbumpy does sound like you have a lovely DP though

PS, first time I read your name I misread it as mean and bumpy and now that's always how I read it, sorry! blush

Stom91 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:52:18

Aww meansbumby these things are meant to try us and it obviously means your relationship is strong! Hang in there.
Totally of subject but watching holly oaks and she's giving birth to twins. She said she didn't expect to be early (don't twins usually end up early) and she wanted a water birth (would they let you have one with twins?) I don't know it just made me laugh at how fake it was lol.

Hope al those that are poorly are feeling better. I'm making cottage pie for dinner smile

It's just hit me that me and dp could be parents in 8 weeks!!! OMG!!

WhisperMen Wed 23-Oct-13 18:30:32

do you knit two at a time on the same needle nom? I found it much quicker to do it that way. Just make another little ball from the yarn you are using and away you go.

oh mean that doesn't sound like fun. You are moving forward now though and the bad times are behind you. Just concentrate on your little family now. Hope you feel better soon.

NomDeClavier Wed 23-Oct-13 18:25:21

Aww mean I recognise that feeling of going from everything being great to everything being in pieces around you. It's really tough, but it sounds like you're definitely back on track now.

whisper that would drive me absolutely crazy. You must be a saint to put up with it because I definitely would have thrown something at her by now.

clare hope DD is feeling better. I do think after a certain point if the vomiting hasn't stopped it's better to be throwing something up than just water. It's not like it's food poisoning - DS gets the nasty, phlegmy cough-to-vom too - and plain food may just be easier to keep down.

Glad it wasn't anything serious feather just keep counting off the days - every day counts! Although given your history did you consider asking for an internal? I'm really not a fan of them but second babies can engage a lot later, like when in active labour, and if your contractions weren't detectable last time her not feeling anything isn't necessarily reassuring.

3rd tri scan tomorrow. Hope baby behaves and consultant can confirm position!

I'm kicking myself at the moment for agreeing to knit 20 pairs of baby bootees for a charity thing. I have 3 pairs complete, and about 3 weeks to do 17 more.

PinkWitch803 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:19:09

meandbumpy It sounds like you and DP have been through a lot and come out the other side stronger and better for it which can only be a good thing for your little one.

meandbumpy Wed 23-Oct-13 17:58:17

Feeling sad this evening. I've been packing and sorting things for when we move and found the Christmas card I sent to dp for our first Christmas. It says how much fun I'd had with him that year and how much I was looking forward to 2012. It's really brought up a load of bad feelings as by April we'd both been made redundant, I'd lost my flat and my Great Uncle, who had been like a father to me, had died suddenly. It was early on in our relationship and should have been a happy time, but I couldn't help spiraling into depression and putting him through so much stress. I remember moving in with him the day after my uncle died, driving up in the van with him trying to make it a positive experience but me just crying all the way.
Things have changed a lot, I'm on the mend and we're starting to recover money/job wise but reading that card has made it all feel raw again. I was so happy one moment and then inconsolable the next. It's the reason why we rushed into trying for a baby tbh. I didn't want to hold back or put it off because of reasons to do with money or situation when it seemed like these things were so unreliable anyway. It was a bit reckless, especially as we're now rushing around madly trying to get ready for the arrival but becoming pregnant has totally changed everything and kicked us both into gear to get our lives back on track and be happy again.
Hopefully it won't be too long until we can relax a bit more and start enjoying life again.

Sorry for long post and rambling on, hope everyone is having/had a good day and feeling better thanks

WhisperMen Wed 23-Oct-13 17:57:36

granny pants are the best mrsshrubs I have been wearing them since about 20 weeks and I love them so much. I'm not sure I will ever go back to uncomfy underwear ever again haha.

ooh glad nothing bad happened feather hope baby stays put in there for a while longer.

mrs mumble in the other bed has not shut up all day. She makes this weird noise a bit like a bee or a wasp or something constantly. I don't think she knows she makes it. I am fully pissed off about it now and have come to the sitting room for a break from her. The midwives are getting annoyed by it too, one of them kept asking if there was a wasp in the room haha! I'm not sure I can take another night of her opera singing either, but thanks to the bad reaction to the drugs last night I am being kept in again so I guess I'll just have to put up with it. How he husband hasn't murdered her I will never know.

MrsShrubs Wed 23-Oct-13 17:48:41

good job you were already waiting for the MW feather and managed to be reassured and seen quickly! I wonder how many of us will actually end up with December babies??

Put my big parachute pants on that I bought yesterday and have been so comfortable all day, I don't care that they come up over my belly button and are the least attractive looking things ever, I never want to wear anything else now for the rest of the pregnancy grin

Featherbag Wed 23-Oct-13 17:31:18

Well, had my first scare of what is no doubt going to be many! Arrived early for MW appointment, had a horrible pain sort of under and behind my bump when I got there. In the half hour I waited to go in I had another 3, so was quite worried by the time I got in! She checked bump and said baby isn't in my pelvis, she can palpate his head freely and she couldn't feel any tightenings. I was reassured by this until I remembered someone saying exactly the same 3 hours before I gave birth last time! Anyway, thankfully pains have settled but I agreed I'd go straight to the delivery suite if they started up again and didn't settle or came back with any other 'labour-y' symptoms. Was bricking it for those few moments I was considering the possibility of actually being in labour!

mumoftwoboysS Wed 23-Oct-13 14:31:38

clare it's horrible when they're that sick. I always think the worst thing about parenting is when the kids are ill. Feel so helpless and sorry for them (not to mention the lack of sleep for us parents!) all the suggestions are great- only thing i'd add is what to avoid and that's anything rich, fatty, creamy, spicy and ESP milk till her tum is back to normal. BRAT diet is great. Ds1 has a dodgy tum at the mo (loose stools) so trying to make sure he eats plain/bland stuff and no milk.

BohemianRaspberry Wed 23-Oct-13 14:26:37

clare Dry toast definately and seconding the dioralyte sachets. They taste grim but at least thay have all the electrolytes and stuff in them. My friend usually gives her DD lollies made with frozen lemonade to soothe sore throat and it tricks the dicky tum.

thanks everyone for the advice, you know when you just can't see the forest for the trees? Trying to join as much as possible, just find it difficult ... and the few pick-em-drop-em "friends" you think you have just make you feel like no one particularly wants to see you anyway, let alone when you are aching and the size of a bus.

I have a mental health session next week so hopefully talking about it will avoid banging down the doctor's door demanding pills.

Let's all hope for sleep tonight.

Thanks for the tips everyone, just rang NHS 24 and spoke to a nurse who said that as long as shes not dehydrated then not to worry too much, can offer her food if she wants it, will give her some crackers as she loves them. The antibiotics should make a difference to her chest within about 48 hours and its the phlegm from that that is making her sick.

Goodness these children don't half cause you some grief, what am I thinking having another!

Alyssa1978 Wed 23-Oct-13 12:09:11

claire I was always given and I now always give my kids anything dry, like toast or plain biscuits, even crisps and my mum always let coke or lemonade go flat and give that to me.
If the sickness has been going on a while, get back in touch with docs, the doc gave me dioralyte sachets for ds2 yesterday in case he couldn't keep fluid down and told me to give him bananas and cheese or cheese crackers.....anything salty he said as he needed to replace salt and potassium I think it was.

meandbumpy Wed 23-Oct-13 11:18:52

claire when I was little and sickly my mum always gave me thin arrowroot biscuits and flat lemonade and that usually went down ok

meandbumpy Wed 23-Oct-13 11:13:47

Haha, Whisper you're cracking me up! Glad to hear they've figure out what's wrong and you're on the mend.

I'm also in a similar predicament Bohemian. I'm the first of my friends to have a baby and although they're happy for me they aren't at that point in their lives yet so just aren't interested. They seem to feel it's all a bit too grown up and I think they also think I'm boring now as I'm not able to do as much with them, for example they couldn't understand why I didn't want to go to a festival and camp out in the rain when I was 25 weeks hmm
It's daunting but I think it's time to branch out and make some friends that are in a similar position in life. There does seem to be a lot of parent and baby clubs and activities going on. I've started by looking on my local mumsnet page for things in my area and might also go to one of their meet ups.

Hope everyone's aches and pains are easing up and you're all coping thanks I've slept for 10+ hours a night this week, feel groggy but soo much better for it.
Wishing everyone a lovely day! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now