Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 (thread 9) Pregnancy half time is over. Fast growing bumps, braxton hicks and we thought we would worry less!

(1001 Posts)
Frizz1986 Wed 11-Sep-13 12:55:24

Hope its ok me setting up a new thread.
Couldnt see one, but if I am just being blind please tell me.....

MrsGSR Mon 23-Sep-13 22:34:56

DH loves getting socks and pants at Christmas. He's getting quite a selection of stupid slogan/comic book underwear as he's really hard to buy for so I get him lots each year to make it look like I've bought him more. Although he does need a new ironing board cover...

Sultanajo Tue 24-Sep-13 08:01:46

Thanks ladies for all your stories of little monkeys deciding not to kick! Thankfully yesterday and so far today he is back to his normal kicky self which is such a relief! grin

Tooth I have never been to Bruges, but may have to go just for the chocolate factory! Yum!

OMG pelvic floors - I too did a set when I read that post enjoying. I think we need to daily just add a post that says "pelvic floors" to remind us me to do them! Really must start making them a priority!

Listen to all of you with your DH's and their fabbie anniversary plans! It's our first anniversary in October and will be the only one where it is just me and DH and I have been trying to persuade him to take me back to the hotel where we got married for a night - he really wasn't keen! In the end I have compromised and said we can go for the day instead - they have a pool etc. and their food is lush, so it will still be nice. But honestly if I didn't plan ahead and try and organise something, I don't know if we would be celebrating (or DH would say the day before "what do you want to do tomorrow?"). It's really annoying because it's actually half term week, so he will be off work and I have booked the day off work and it will be our first and last chance to go and do something out and about for a while without having to think about finding a sitter for bubs, so you would think he would be keen to really go for it this year, especially as we didn't have a honeymoon because we were skint, but I still don't think he realises how much bubs will affect us being able to be spontaneous etc. Hey ho!

It's also DH's birthday and he is a MASSIVE Liverpool fan, so have got him some bits from the Liverpool store, including a new phone case as his just broke. Couldn't think of anything else with the small budget I have currently and he was useless everytime I asked him what he wanted!

Ladies with heartburn - how much does it suck, particularly at night? The last two nights haven't been too bad for me and I just WISH I knew why....if only I kept a food diary....

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 08:16:01

That's a bit mean of him, Sultana sad What are his reasons for not wanting to go overnight? It sounds like a lovely idea.

I don't know what we'll do for our 1st wedding anniversary in January. It's a week after the baby is due, so either way I can't imagine we'll be doing much!

I wanted nothing more than a glass of orange juice before I went to bed last night, but I had to have water instead because I knew I'd really suffer with heartburn if I had it. Woe is me. I never had heartburn like this in my other pregnancies.

MrsAVB Tue 24-Sep-13 08:47:17

Morning all!
tooth I have also bought DH an ironing board cover for a birthday or Christmas. My family are very much of the buying useful presents ilk, whereas his are treats all the way. I think he's got over the shock of our first Christmas together (well hopefully, 9 years on!). Other exciting presents I've bought have included a cutlery holder for the draining board smile.
Have been a bit miserable over the weekend as have got a UTI, then the antibiotics have given me thrush, nice! Have to go back to the GP today as they have threatened hospital if the infection has gone to my kidneys as there is an increased risk of premature labour.
Can't remember anything anyone else wrote, sorry. Those of you in the "ears club", zulily has some monster fleecy all in ones with ears, eyes and teeth! However the feminist in me is protesting, as they are labelled for boys, whereas the girls ones are boring leopard print.
Have a good day everyone...

MrsVDB Tue 24-Sep-13 08:59:00

Ah thanks mrsa I'm going to buy that it's so cute and also some cute rompers smile

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 09:33:18

I can't remember who it was who forced me to buy some Matalan stuff last week, but it came yesterday and it's all lovely. Fits perfectly! And I got a dress, a skirt, a vest top, some yoga pants and a pair of PJ bottoms all for £50. Can't say fairer than that grin

yey toby that sounds great! I just got the jeggings and leggings and they fit well and are really comfy. I'm only 5'4 as well so it can always be hard finding things to fit.

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 10:00:06

Ah, I was put off the leggings by the reviews which said they fit poorly and were far too long. Plus the fact that the model was 5'10". I'm only 5'3". Wish I'd bought some now!

i'll wear mine for a couple of days and let you know how I get on smile I'd need to get dressed first, i'm still in pjs and intend to stay that way most of the day!

Naturegirl82 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:34:33

Quick question for you all. Are you using fabric softener when washing baby clothes? NHS website says not to but not something I had really thought of before. I
hadn't been intending to do separate washes for baby clothes. Also we are only one of the few countries that say non-bio for baby clothes so is no softener a bit precautionary?

extracrunchy Tue 24-Sep-13 10:37:34

Ooh good question... We don't usually use fabric softener but I have done for washing baby stuff as thought the softer the better. Hmm... Did last time too though and no harm done!

We don't actually use fabric softener. I don't like how it makes the clothes feel <odd>

Our water has no hardness to it at all, so it doesn't make too much a difference. That being said, I'd never heard of not being supposed to use softener.

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 10:41:43

Thanks, frying. I'm loving New Look maternity leggings at the moment, but it won't hurt to have some more!

I'm using fabric softener. Always have. Comfort Pure. I have been doing separate washes for baby clothes for the new stuff because it's just been going on a 30-minute quick wash anyway. But I can't see that lasting too long once the baby's here!

PELVIC FLOORS grin

Talking of good maternity purchases, I just bought a pair of maternity PJs from M&S (they only have one style available in two colour schemes) and OH MY GOD they are comfy. Not the most stylish - the bottoms are chintzy - but I swear to god they are the softest, comfiest thing I've ever put on.

MrsA sorry to hear about your UTI, that's rough. Hope the stupid thrush clears up. Thanks for the #ears headsup though!

sultana are you sure DH isn't planning something for your wedding anniversary? He may be trying to put you off so it can be a surprise? Just a thought. Otherwise, I'm with toby, that's a bit mean.

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 11:07:14

Ooooh, that's a good call, Humpty! Perhaps that's it? He's planning a good surprise?

Naturegirl82 Tue 24-Sep-13 11:20:13

Currently sat at my desk doing my pelvic floor grin been really bad at doing them!

Good to hear about the softener. I had used softener as hadn't realised you weren't meant to and as all the clothes are nearly 10 years old thought they could do with it. It was on mn that I read you weren't meant to so googled it!

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 24-Sep-13 11:29:00

Hi all, sorry not to have been on much or caught up. Everyone in my house is ill, dd2 is also teething and practising her tantrums for the terrible twos and DH had his foot run over by a car at work yesterday and may have injured his achilles.

I too live in New Look maternity leggings, they are so much more comfortable than jeans or trousers.

Sultana maybe he doesn't realise how much a baby will affect your time together. One night won't hurt him, that is a bit mean.

We don't celebrate our wedding anniversary as MIL passed away two years ago on the date of of wedding anniversary, it just feels wrong to celebrate that day. We hope to have a blessing ceremony on a different day at some point so we can have a day to celebrate, for now we just mark the day we met.

nature apparently you can use a tablespoonful of white vinegar (not white wine though!) instead of conditioner, if you're worried?

Another sorry to hear you've had a shitty time, hope things are improving now.

Naturegirl82 Tue 24-Sep-13 12:31:14

Thanks humpty I'm not really worried, just was shocked at the guidance and all the people on the thread that were saying they wouldn't dream of using softener! Made me feel bad I didn't know! sad The clothes have been washed so many times all ready I doubt it makes a difference!

Hope that's the end of the bad run another. Such a shame you can't celebrate your anniversary but totally understandable.

My wedding anniversary is October as well, just before half term. Will be 5 years for us this year though. We usually go away for a night but don't think we will this year because of the pupster. Going to book my massage for that week so might book Dh one as a suprise as well so we can both enjoy the spa and go somewhere tasty for lunch/dinner. smile

Frizz1986 Tue 24-Sep-13 13:01:56

I have a reminder on my phone to do pelvic floors twice a day. Is it bad that I only set up the reminder on Sunday???

Mine and dhs first anniversary isnt until April and so no chance of celebrating with a 3 month old!

Had no idea about softener. I washed all the clothes we have in non bio but cant remember if i used softener as they have been ready in the drawer for weeks.

another sorry about the bad run and about your anniversary. Hopefully things will pick up and its good that you remember the day you met. I haven't got a clue!

I think I have the wrong size mat leggings from new look.
I got 2 pairs in medium because I am rather tall and sometimes the smalls tend to not be quite long enough. Well the mediums are still too big for the bump sad
I tried wearing them to work yesterday and after an hour had to nip to the loo and clip them up with a mini bulldog clip.
I am back to thick tights today but they are the only ones that fit so will have to do quick washes to keep them clean as I am only planning on wearing dresses to work from now on. Just hope the bump gets huge soon so they arent wasted.

Not sure what else has been said but everyone remember pelvic floors oh and are there any other exercises we should be doing as I havent done them either!!

MrsVDB Tue 24-Sep-13 13:53:09

Thanks humpty just did them sat in dentist waiting room!

She gave me 2 X-rays too as said they're safe. I'm sure I read somewhere that they're not? Also booked me in for a filling with local anaesthetic?

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 24-Sep-13 14:53:41

Thanks all smile

I can remember the day we met easily, it was at the Notting Hill Carnival which always falls on the August Bank holiday.

I keep forgetting about pelvic floors so thanks for the reminder, I sneezed the other day and hand to change my knickers, should really be doing them.

I have always used fabric softener, Fairy and comfort pure were fine with both of mine who suffer from eczema, tesco non-bio and sensitive fabric softener seem to be fine too.

I wore Primark thick tights in a size up long into my last pregnancy Frizz, if the leggings are too big still that might be worth a try. Don't worry your bump will be big enough soon, then you will be complaining that you can't get your shoes on without help wink.

MrsV I'm pretty sure they have to x-ray the bump itself repeatedly before it becomes a problem. I don't know about local anaesthetic, though, but i wouldn't have a filling without!

another don't talk to me about bloody shoes. I have looked for WEEKS for cushioned sole/supportive shoes (I have a tendency to plantar fascitis) which are slip on and NOT HIDEOUS. They do not bloody exist. Lace up? Yes. BUT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LACE SHOES UP SOON, CLARKS, YOU MUPPETS.

TobyLerone Tue 24-Sep-13 16:02:46

MrsV, I had to have an x-ray recently and they said that as long as it's above the sternum or below the knee they consider it perfectly safe.

And local anaesthetic is fine too, but prepare to feel a bit weird for a few minutes if it contains adrenaline. It makes my heart race and makes me feel a little bit shaky. But it wears off really quickly.

Toothfairy78 Tue 24-Sep-13 17:34:53

humpty if you have trouble getting supportive slip ons, have you tried slimline orthotics? My feet need a lot of support (unstable calcanium and searing pain under soles of feet) and I have orthotics that go in my slip on from Clarks and I have some that go in high heels. They're about £20 and so long as you can take the insoles out, you can use them. I even have an almost invisible pair which go in ballet pump shoes.

This thread is not accepting new messages.