Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberry Pavlovas - Thread 7

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 13:52:52

Newly diffed right through to new Mums. A thread for the over 30's expecting their first baby.

BelissimaLol Sat 07-Sep-13 15:21:24

Hey cav and others. Thanks for the words of wisdom. We did have a good night- she must have been knackered from all the screaming! That added to the fact that I kept her in my arms due to my guilt resulted in uninterrupted sleep from 11-6!!!!! First time ever. I feel better today.
Re sizes I too got caught up with newborn stuff that was too big and not enough small stuff. However I just used what I had and she spent her first days in baby grows which were too big!!
Thunder are you over here yet??

HazleNutt Sat 07-Sep-13 16:55:12

marking place.
Spending time on ebay again, buying Vic some more clothes in bigger sizes again. That guy just keeps growing. (I wish I was shrinking at a similar rate)

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 17:12:09

Hey all
Is this really thread seven?!
Marking place.
How are all you preggers berries getting on? Remind me of the joys of feeling little kicks and vomiting due to heartburn

Alexandra6 Sat 07-Sep-13 17:51:40

When does heartburn kick in? Was telling DH about that symptom while I was stuffing my face with lunch today, haven't had it yet?

I'm trying not to be offended as DH just came into the sitting room and burst out laughing when he saw me reading the FT! Made a joke about me checking my stocks and shares for the day. Hmm. To be fair, I was only looking for some work coverage and am normally reading Grazia We're off to a comedy night tonight, should be good - although wish I could have a few beers! wink

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:15:08

Third trimester for me. And it got worse week by week, and day by day hmm

HazleNutt Sat 07-Sep-13 18:39:19

yes 3rd trimester, but mine wasn't too bad, just needed Gaviscon (bleurgh) some evenings.

Can I just whine that the stupid sex stereotyping is getting worse the older the kids get. Pretty much everything for boys is dark blue and ugly brown now. He's a baby, he really does not need camouflage and to blend in with nature. Have just bought him some pink stuff due to getting pissed off at the mountain of brown, so there :p

Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 19:05:22

I had heartburn from 30-35ish weeks which wasn't too bad and one dose of minging Gaviscon generally kept it at bay.

Good for you Hazle I am glad not so little Vic is refusing to conform. grin

MotherOfCleo Sat 07-Sep-13 19:49:52

Hey ladies, wow new thread already! Thanks for the help re sizes, I think I have enough first size so will now wait and see what we get bought before getting any more.

MotherOfCleo Sat 07-Sep-13 19:51:00

Nice one hazel I looked at some lovely bits today but my OH wouldnt let me have the mint green sad

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 20:23:24

Retrospectively so jealous at you both only having slight heartburn, mine was without doubt the worst thing about being preggers... Apart from not being able to drink or pee properly! wink Ugh to having to run to do an acidic vom in the night, having to sleep with loads of pillows, and drinking magnesium trisilicate by the gallon. I do NOT miss that.

Marking place. Any wisdom from the experienced berries on travel system buying?
This may seem v early however with Xmas, new car purchase, baby stuff, a potential house move (if I get my own way) plus the fact I'm hoping to start maternity early (post Xmas) we are wanting to buy one big thing a month pre Xmas to spread out the spend. So... I wanted a stokke (due to the fact we're both so tall) but oh gave that a flat no. So we're leaning towards an icandy but sure you've all done tonnes of research and can enlighten me with it.....

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:22:12

I have an icandy and bloody love it! I'm 5'11 and the handles go high enough, and critically I can steer it one handed. Who knew you'd need to do that so much! The carry cot doubles as an travel cot when we go away and he sleeps well in it. Easy to collapse, and did I say easy to push with one hand?!

Am so happy with it.

Then again I don't own any others so don't have much to compare it to!

Oh and we got a strawberry in the end but loved them all. Think we chose that one in the end as once you use the pushchair bit you don't need to take it off to collapse it. Having said that, with hindsight I probably wouldn't let that influence my decision too much as taking the cot bit off takes like one second.

We had ruled out the strawberry but can't remember why now! We are looking at the peach jogger. Glad to hear you love it. What else did you consider?

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:37:21

Oh is it the peach jogger that you can get lovely green covers for? If so I'm very jealous, I really wanted those covers. We got red. Pah.

We went to JL and pushed all of them around and very quickly decided on an icandy (had never heard of then before that day) as they were so easy to push. Sounds pathetic but it was one of my two requirements - the other was that I could collapse it. My DSIL had a bugaboo (can't remember which one) and I could never collapse it (neither could she) and weirdly struggled to push it?!

We did briefly consider the icandy that could be adapted to carry two, but we figured we'd see how we got in with one baby before buying stuff suitable for two!

Yes but haven't seen the lovely green covers! Our local department store had an event on today and had actual icandy reps in there so that was really v helpful

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:46:55

The only drawback to ours is that it's not teeny when collapsed. Having said that the whole carrycot system fit (but filled) our knackered old fiesta boot. Now we have a qashqai there is loads and loads of room for it.

HazleNutt Sat 07-Sep-13 21:47:07

I have a Bugaboo and this is how you collapse it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzI1LfveKOw
Easy to push as well, could your DSILs be faulty?

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:48:08

Pa the green covers are lovely. So lovely. Such a lovely shade of green. And I'm not a green fan on the whole. Ooooh I'm jealous of those green covers, can you tell?!

janey1234 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:50:21

Tbh hazle I think that the pushing thing might be that a) whenever I met them it was piled high with heavy shopping and b) whenever I saw them with the pushchair it was a Saturday or Sunday and I was therefore feeling very hungover and shaky (oh, my old life, how much fun it was smile).

Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 22:09:20

It was between the Silver Cross Surf or the Uppababy Vista for me. We went for the Vista and after 9 weeks use I haven't got anything bad to say about it and we use it a lot. It was top of the Which? Best Buys and was compatible with the Cabriofix seat which was also top of their Best Buys so I knew we wouldn't go too far wrong with it, but I really think all the top end travel systems are good so it just boils down to personal preference and whether they do it in a colour and pattern you like.

I agree with Janey in that you spend a surprising amount of time pushing it with one hand while you hold your whingeing baby in the other to stop them from embarrassingly screaming while you're out shopping so while you're crashing into things pushing them all around John Lewis you should definitely pile your shopping in it and test drive one handed.

Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 22:12:01

And I agree with your OH - the Stokke's are fugly! grin

Alexandra6 Sat 07-Sep-13 23:27:10

We are going for a bugaboo bee! A key thing for us was lightness and folding up as small as poss, so the Bee works really well and people I know with it are really happy with it. Easy to push one handed. I have to say though, the city mini is worth looking at - cheaper than the other brands and the easiest to fold up, compact and great for when they're a toddler too. We are going for the bugaboo purely because it looks a bit nicer (shallow). John Lewis also let you book in for car boot tests which is handy if you want to see what space you'd be left with in the boot!

Comedy night was great - baby kicked loads so obviously enjoyed it wink Although I needed to pee loads and didn't want to get picked on so had to hold it to the intervals!

Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 23:41:34

....or you can reluctantly swap your nice car for a tank-like 4x4 when you realise there is bugger all room left in the boot or anywhere else once all the baby stuff is in there. <bitter> grin

I've got an icandy apple, I quite like it but find it a bit heavy to lift in and out of the boot. It does steer one handed quite well and it had adapters so you can attach the car seat instead of the carry cot which is handy. From what I can gather mine is at least third hand and is still in really good nick so they must be ok quality. It does ENTIRELY fill the boot of a Honda civic though. Mine is boring black as I didn't get to choose with it being an eBay special so I'm very envious of the idea of pretty green covers!

This thread is not accepting new messages.