Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 (thread 8) Half way there just about! Finding out pink or blue

(1000 Posts)
BuntCadger Tue 13-Aug-13 11:13:23

New thread for us, can't believe another one filled! Half way there girls smile on the homeward stretch smile xx

TobyLerone Wed 11-Sep-13 10:49:51

Frizz, you're doing far more than me re budgeting! I still shop at Sainsbury's/Waitrose because they're closest. I loathe Tescos and Morrisons. There are a couple of Aldis within 20 mins drive of me, but I only go there if I'm going to those places anyway. The 40-minute round trip negates any lower prices.

For us, it's more about the waste. We waste a lot. So I'm meal-planning to try to make sure I use everything I have. For example, last night we had this (which was very nice, although I used double the cheese and even then it wasn't very cheesy) and then tonight DS and I are going to have sausages with bubble and squeak to use up the rest of the cabbage. Normally I'd have left the rest in the fridge until it was too crap to even feed to the tortoise, then chucked it out.

This morning I have made bread rolls and banana bread with some manky bananas. I feel virtuous grin

Book, sorry to hear the drs were crap. It doesn't fill you with confidence, does it?
When I was in at the weekend, the midwives were all fab, but the drs were useless. The first one in the assessment unit tried to tell me I was having ligament pains and should go home and take some paracetamol. She was about 12. I said "I know you're the doctor and all, but you're wrong." Then I had another contraction and the MW felt my bump and made the dr feel it too, and she finally agreed that I was right.
Then they tried treating me for some sort of non-specific infection because they didn't know what was causing it. The dr who came on Saturday said, "You might as well go home, as we don't know what's causing this. Unless you have any other gynae problems we don't know about?"
I said, "well, only the fibroids."
He said, "you have fibroids?! Well, that explains it, then!"
I said, "you're holding my notes, which you've had since I was admitted yesterday, which describe them and their sizes/positions in great detail, with scan reports and pictures!"
FFS angry

mythree, good news re your scan. The other risk with a low-lying placenta is obviously that it could be blocking the exit, so you'll have to have a CS. But they often move.
Re caffeine/alcohol, I've been drinking about 3 cups of tea per day. I don't really drink much coffee, but I'll have one if I fancy it. I've had one glass of wine, which was delicious. Lately I've been really fancying a lovely cold glass of white, but we haven't had any in the house, so it's passed after a while. If we did, I'd have a small glass, though, if I really wanted one.

Sultana, I LOLed about the jelly mould leaking grin

Oh, sarah, your niece is never far from my thoughts flowers Look after yourself.

Re coats, I loathe coats at the best of times. I will go without one if at all possible, although I am always cold, so it means I end up looking like the Michelin man in all the layers. However, it's rugby season again and I was moaning to DH last night about how freezing I'll be this year with no coat. Standing on a bitter rugby pitch with the wind whistling around your ears is no fun, and is the only time I ever wear a coat. DH has a big North Face-type thing that he never wears so he's donating it to me grin

sarahleanne Wed 11-Sep-13 10:34:40

Nieces operation went really well smile

I think im going to stick to wooly jumpers and normal jacket undone.I did see a big maternity one in new look the other day though.

I havn't heard about having a flu jab but I am definitely having the whooping cough one.

hope she continues to improve well sarah flowers

MrsAVB I'm just going to wear my old coat, but not done up! Bought a maternity wooly jumper yesterday though, and I do expect to be a human radiator by the time it gets really cold.

Penny whooping cough vaccine not mentioned yet, but I know we are eligable. I might try and double it up with my anti-D, and get all my jabs out of the way at once! Do we need a flu jab too?

MrsAVB Wed 11-Sep-13 08:42:52

Yay, great news sarah, hope things continue to be stable and improve.
Has anyone seen/ bought a new coat? It's getting chilly!
X

Frizz1986 Wed 11-Sep-13 08:42:12

thinking of you all sarah thanks

Spacefrog35 Wed 11-Sep-13 07:14:33

Posted at the same time. Phew! Great news but still keeping everything crossed for her x

Spacefrog35 Wed 11-Sep-13 07:13:36

Thoughts are with you and your family sarah. We're all here for you. I sincerely hope they they have managed to stabilise her over night. xxx.

sarahleanne Wed 11-Sep-13 07:11:38

Thankyou so much everyone.
They didn't move her in the end, they managed to stabilise her again and are talking about surgery now. Fingers crossed!

extracrunchy Wed 11-Sep-13 00:25:50

Sarah I'm crossing everything for your niece xxx

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 10-Sep-13 23:03:36

Sarah, you are all in my thoughts and prayers <hugs> x

Whenever you need to talk we are here x

Toothfairy78 Tue 10-Sep-13 23:02:49

You are definitely not barging in at all sarah. Just hoping for the best for the little girl. Xxx

MrsGSR Tue 10-Sep-13 22:47:16

Oh Sarah flowers praying for your niece, and your whole family x

MrsAVB Tue 10-Sep-13 22:44:42

Lots of love and prayers sarah, and never feel like you're barging in, we can say anything here and we all look after each other. xxx

TarkaTheOtter Tue 10-Sep-13 22:27:44

Oh sarah I'm so sorry. Hugs. My thoughts are with her to pull through.

sarahleanne Tue 10-Sep-13 22:23:39

Ladies sorry to barge in, please Please pray for my little niece. She is being rushed to Leicester hospital as her lungs are collapsing. I'm sat on my sofa not kowing what to do with myself. Just waiting and hoping...

Sorry to crash the thread, there is only so much I can talk to family about it as everyone is the same at the moment and doesn't know what to say it do.

Penny31 Tue 10-Sep-13 22:01:33

Hi everyone,

Had 25 week midwife appointment today, got bump measured for the first time and all is good smile heard the heartbeat again smile next appointment is In 3 weeks and I also get the whooping cough vaccine. Is everyone else getting that?

Sultanajo Tue 10-Sep-13 20:04:55

grin frizz

Sorry space. Hope u got home and rewarded yourself with yummy food!

mrsg loving the priorities there! I too hate cooking for one! Lasagne and garlic bread! Yum!

Weird to think not so long ago we couldnt even look at food and now I cant get enough!!! grin

MrsGSR Tue 10-Sep-13 19:18:20

There's some very tasty sounding ideas there frizz! I might have to try and sneak some vegetarian meals past DH.

DH is on his way home smile so I've got home made lasagne and garlic bread in the oven. I'm ridiculously excited about it! He's been away for a week and I hate cooking for one so I've been mostly snaking, and of course I'm excited to see him too!

Spacefrog35 Tue 10-Sep-13 19:11:06

Ladies you're all making me feel really hungry stop it, I don't get home from work for another hour and now I'm starving! envy

Frizz1986 Tue 10-Sep-13 18:58:13

Sometimes i think i would be better suited to being a 1950s housewife lol

Sultanajo Tue 10-Sep-13 18:41:26

Yum frizz! <packs her bags and heads over to Frizz's for dinner> grin

Frizz1986 Tue 10-Sep-13 18:32:25

Thanks tarka i will check it out.

I think we only do it so cheap because there is only 2 of us and dh will happily eat a vegetarian stirfry or something. If we do have meat it tends to be mince or sausage based as that can be cheap and with a tin of chopped tomatoes, onion and maybe carrot, celery and spices/stock cubes you can make a pretty good mass tea. I make sausage ragu, chilli, meatballs, all using a few cheap ingredients and the rest can be frozen. I also use turkey mince to do turkey and rice tortillas and also home made turkey, lemon and thyme burgers that i just serve with cayenne sprinkled wedges. Means some things are a bit samey but i try and spice stuff up with a japanese style veg stirfry, a veg risotto or a fish chowder with something cheap. We even managed to do homemade fish and chips (used a random white fish we never heard of but looked ok and was cheap) for pretty cheap and it was yum.

Cant remember who said about coffee and tea, but i am lucky as i have never liked the stuff so am easily able to go without and as for alcohol, i drank a lot as a student 10 years ago but havent been a massive drinker since and dont have many friends so dont go out much so dont feel the need to drink. Makes it easy being tee total for the duration.

Sultanajo Tue 10-Sep-13 17:53:57

extra poor u with SPD! sad Really hope it doesnt get any worse...

Sultanajo Tue 10-Sep-13 17:52:17

mrsa my sense of balance before pregnancy was spot on. Now however....OMG! I can imagine how pregnancy yoga must be! grin

Sultanajo Tue 10-Sep-13 17:50:31

By the way, the jelly mould leaked this morning! blush Good job the midwife has a sense of humour....wink

This thread is not accepting new messages.