Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2014 - Thread 4 - awaiting our dating scans

(1000 Posts)
MTBMummy Tue 13-Aug-13 09:40:11

Stats thread here Here

commsgirl Tue 13-Aug-13 12:43:37

gawjus www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/949.aspx?CategoryID=54#close
I'm in the same boat as you and trying to hold out until 12 weeks just for my own piece of mind really. My hairdresser recommended I come in for a strand/allergy test beforehand as hair can react differently in pregnancy. Midwife and GP both said it was fine.

fox I don't think he can take holiday off you but I do think its legal for him to start paying you SSP. Might be worth speaking to HR?

grey I know in our hospitals you can't take your own. Definitely worth speaking to your midwife at your booking in about what your options are around where you can give birth.

I've actually just finished a big campaign around home births/MLUs and the benefits etc. Don't think I've managed to convince myself though!

Dabarai Tue 13-Aug-13 12:46:08

Wow, thread 4!

Lyra, seeing line is reassuring imo, i did 6 tests altogether, including the one last week...

The line is there but I think it's less strong. I'm going to get a scan in the morning. I can't wait till the 20th sad

MortifiedAdams Tue 13-Aug-13 13:39:12

Pram I found them incredibly painful. Not so.much the parts of the hand that went in, but the rest of the hand left outside pushing up against me was so so agonising. I didnt need g&a apart from these! Will absoloutley be refusing them in future.

Good for you, Lyra, I'm prayingfor you x

FoxMulder Tue 13-Aug-13 13:54:09

Lyra I think HGC levels are supposed to drop towards the end of the first trimester, don't stress.

commsgirl he gave me the option saying no to him taking the holidays and having SSP instead, but my brain isn't really working lately. I don't really want to be giving up precious holidays (20 days) so early in the holiday year (it goes to the end of March) but then SSP is so low...gah, I don't know. He think's he doing me a favour & is assuming I wont be needing all my holidays what with Mat leave coming up.

Slippersandacuppa Tue 13-Aug-13 13:55:51

Mortified I'm totally with you wrt internal exams. There's no need for them, they increase the risk of infection and I've heard of many mws 'accidentally' sweeping etc without consent. Had loads with my first and none with my last two, and I know which I'd rather. A good midwife should be able to gauge where you're at by watching you. Obviously that is tricky with some people but true for the majority. Mine could tell over the phone. The beauty of having midwives you've built up a relationship with! Pram I'm not even a teensy bit shy - three births and several years of breastfeeding in public have left me without a shred of dignity grin

Thank you Pram.

Fox, really? I didn't know that. I'm trying not to panic until the scan but it's not easy. And my eldest son is upset because his hamster just died. And I've been arguing with my mother and my XP is being a complete bastard. Not a good day all round sad

FoxMulder Tue 13-Aug-13 14:04:26

Yeah, I haven't got the facts sorry but I know you can't take pregnancy tests after so many weeks because it won't show up. Someone else around here will know what I'm talking about.

And sorry about your son's hamster! Oh pets, they have a nasty habit of dying. I cried for hours when my gerbil died. And I'm a grown up. Sort of.

x0gawjus0x Tue 13-Aug-13 14:25:17

Ohh lyra im sure everything is okay im not going to do another test cos ill only worry like you are ive definately seen somewhere after the first trimester it becomes less obvious my friend (23wk) actually got a negative before her 20 week scan!

Thanks for link comms my senior at work keeps asking why i havent had my roots done ahh not long to wait one more week!! X

JustCallMeBaldrick Tue 13-Aug-13 14:29:01

Wow, thread 4 already! Marking my place for my next moan wink

Slippers, thank you for that insight. I shall be on my guard against the fanny inspectors.

IceNoSlice Tue 13-Aug-13 14:50:47

Frankel what are you studying for? Best of luck with your exam.

Lyra I used to have hamsters as a kid. Love the little critters. My parents swapped them over when they died so I thought it was the same one shock. Hope your DS is ok.

Argh my office has loads of biscuits, Indian sweets for Eid, Cadbury's heroes... Not easy to eat sensibly especially when your perma-hungry!

littleABI Tue 13-Aug-13 14:57:30

Wow can't believe so many are coming up for 12 week scans! Mine isn't until Sept 4th! Thinking of you all. Xx

MTBMummy Tue 13-Aug-13 15:01:23

I was discussing this yesterday at my booking in appointment and said "By the time I had been in labor 23 hours, I felt like I'd had every hand in the hospital up my foof, my dignity was long gone"

I'd had a group of students come round and when asked if I minded them having a go at finding the babies head I apparently said "The more the merrier" blush

rosyryan Tue 13-Aug-13 15:05:32

grin

I remember a midwife asking me if I wanted to put my knickers back on and grumbling "no bloody point is there" is a very mardy way blush

IceNoSlice Tue 13-Aug-13 15:10:08

Don't remember foof exams (it's all a bit hazy) but I do remember DH having to persuade me I ought to put some clothes on to walk around the hospital from the MLU to the CLU. I'd been in the birthing pool wearing a tankini top only. Apparently I couldn't see why I might want to cover up in the corridor. blush blush blush

MummyPig24 Tue 13-Aug-13 15:18:00

Gawjus it's August 31st. I will be 11 weeks.

Good luck for today Lyra

x0gawjus0x Tue 13-Aug-13 15:57:34

Ah okay seems like mine is one of the first? Counting down the next 7 days its going too slow im so nervous sad xx

Rockchick1984 Tue 13-Aug-13 15:58:59

Hi all!

Fox and anyone else who may need to know: pregnancy related sickness can't be counted against you eg for disciplinary purposes (obviously only once work know you're pregnant), however it is paid at the same rate as you would normally get, you're not entitled to full pay simply because you are pregnant if you wouldn't get that normally. What are you usually eligible for with sick pay? You can choose to take holiday instead of sick pay if you prefer. Personally if you can afford it, I'd take SSP at the moment and work out when you need full pay to get a good wage weeks 17-25 as the money you are paid in those weeks is what your first 6 weeks mat pay is based on. If you only got SSP in those weeks you will get 6 weeks at 90% of that rather than of your full pay. Hope that makes sense!

Good luck for your scan tomorrow Lyra

Good news - I feel nauseous! Looks like I might have been panicking over nothing. I never thought I'd be glad to feel sick grin

Obviously I've not had a baby, but over the last 3 years of fertility investigations I've lost count if the amount of people that have seen/poked around inside my Foof grin

Ice I'm doing a distance learning degree that is related to my job. I know, I'm insane - full-time job, part-time study and pregnant! Thankfully I've just finished year 3 of 4 and I've had a chat with my tutor about trying to move my final year exams/assignments around so I can get the majority of it done before March!

Frank, when I was at uni when I was 37 one of my class mates was pregnant seemingly throughout our third year. I didn't go to graduation but I believe her teeny tiny newborn was there upstaging everyone. I do remember seeing her squashed behind the tiny desks in where she would be snoozing during interminable classes and thinking she must be fucking nuts smile

Yesterday my lovely but incomprehensible Lebanese GP refused to is a prescription for ongoing pessaries and injections for my pregnancy, attesting that he 'wasn't allowed' and only a consultant can issue these drugs. I told him he was wrong and that I knew he was trying to bullshit me because these particular injections are very expensive and he didn't want to should the cost. All this was lost in translation, of course, but I knew he was irked: he frowned constantly as if All Was Not Well and I knew I didn't have AIDS so... Anyway, I went running to teacher (midwife) to complain and this afternoon I've had a call from the doctor to 'check up on the shortness of breath' and to say there's a prescription waiting for me at the surgery hmm

faithfulandtruthful Tue 13-Aug-13 17:30:33

Frank it sounds as if you are in good training for having a baby, it involves lots of life juggling and not much rest!! I hope you get the majority of your studies sorted before the arrival.

*tiny desks in lectures

Oh, Lyra, great news!

This thread is not accepting new messages.