Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The Short Cervix Club

(514 Posts)
Pizdets Mon 10-Jun-13 19:25:31

Given the high number of threads started in 'pregnancy' on short/incompetent cervixes of late, I thought I'd have a crack at starting a club which we can join to share how we're getting on and pool the information we've been given which hopefully can also reassure or inform other ladies coming on here and worried about the state of their cervixes.

I'll kick off with a bit about my own story:

I'm currently 24+4, due 26th September. I had a scan at the prem clinic at Queen Charlotte's in London who measured my cervix as 2.3/2.4cm and advised a stitch (they do this for anyone who measures under 2.5cm). I had the stitch put in at 15 weeks with a spinal block and so far so good - I'm walking the dog, doing pregnancy yoga, still fairly active and no problems or twinges at all (so far!).

Please feel free to share your experiences, ask questions or update, it's great to hear from other people going through the same worry and so reassuring to know if things are going well!

Piz

Iolaway32 Sun 27-Jul-14 16:12:00

Thank you everyone for the lovely messages you been sending, I am feeling absolutely shattered with sleep deprivation & visitors,although we nicely said that we as a family would like to spend baby,s first Week just us as family and close relatives,last night only manage to get 3 hours all together of sleeping.
Anyway that is a small price to pay when you have a beautiful baby that thought would never happen.

Lawro,hope everything goes well with you C.section next week and just to say you done haver so well in holding the stitches since 23 Weeks to now 38+5 Weeks.

TaytoCrisp hope everything is going well and will keep checking any news on you and buba,it must be so exciting in getting closer and closer.

Amum,another week went and so near the 20 Weeks Scan and having your cervix measured,good things is each week that goes by shows that stitches are stronger and holding buba.

Pizdets Thu 24-Jul-14 18:38:01

Congrats Iolaway, wonderful news and a lovely name! So pleased it went ok for you and that your gorgeous little girl has arrived.

Good luck to everyone else, it feels like it's forever but so worth it in the end!

Kelly1814 Thu 24-Jul-14 18:17:54

So thrilled by your news iolaway! It is wonderful to see your journey and that you now have your beautiful baby. We get there eventually, even though we feel like we never will. Sending much love to you and your family.

Stay strong everyone.

Mum in waiting, I had incessant thrush whilst pregnant, the only thing that helps was taking probiotic tablets. The joys of pregnancy!

aMuminwaiting Mon 21-Jul-14 17:42:33

Congratulations Iolaway, wonderful news! Gives me hope.
Am 17 weeks today and feeling really uncomfortable. My lady bits are all puffed up and everything feels really sore and heavy. Saw my midwife Friday and the urine was clear but she took a swab to check for thrush. I've begged for a scan to check my cervix but they said they won't see me until 19-20 weeks which feels like an age away! Tried booking a private scan because they told me last month they can do cervical length checks but when I called to book she said they can't do that until 20 weeks. Urrrgghhhhhh.

TaytoCrisp Mon 21-Jul-14 00:17:55

I'm delighted to hear your news iola! That is just fantastic! Welcome Yasmin! 7lb is great at 37wks. Hope she is settling in and you are all adapting. Great to hear these good news stories! Xxxx

Hang in ther amum. I gt a couple of extra scans but never any cervix checks either... Not long to go til the big scan though. If you really feel anxious perhaps they will be understanding and offer you a scan sooner. 16weeks - time is flying by;-) (though I know it doesn't always feel like that).

Goodnight little shineycnew yasmin(;-)).

Iolaway32 Sun 20-Jul-14 20:51:44

Hi everyone,
Iam sooo proud to announce that this friday the 18th of July at 10.40 in the evening baby Yasmin made her entrance in to the world absolutely perfect & with of weight of 7 lb exactly.
Everything happen so quick on Friday morning with very mild contractions and from 10 in the morning to 12.30 contractions started to come every 6 minutes and waters then broke at 2 pm, we arrived at hospital by 3.30 with 6 centimetres dilated and by 4.15 ready to push.
If all that was that easy & simple,baby had other plans and ideas because baby Yasmin only decided to wake up and change position around 8pm by then I was so tired but decided I did not want to go for C section when I was so close.
Couple more hours with a team of lovely Midwifes my beautiful baby daughter was born without any intervention.
I would like to say a big thank you to all the mum's that I had the pleasure to talk to and exchange messages and advices during a very tough and sensitive time in our lifes, i feel really emotional writing this post because a new chapter of my life just started.
I will keep check on the messages & posts specially because of Amumingwaiting & Taytocrisp that will have this wonderful feeling and their new bundles when their time comes.
Kisses and Hughes to everyone.
Xxx

aMuminwaiting Fri 18-Jul-14 12:46:46

I've just seen my midwife and she said I won't be scanned until 19-20 weeks and that's the anomaly so may not look at my cervical length. I would have thought that was priority after the suture? I'm now 16+4. All I keep being told is if I feel like something is wrong or feel labour pains etc go to the hospital straight away. Why is all about when things have gone wrong and not about making sure things don't go wrong in the first place? Really frustrated.

TaytoCrisp Thu 17-Jul-14 20:23:23

Thats great Iola. Another week would be no harm. I was reading that the average time from stitch removal to delivery is 14 days... so really 7 more days would bring you to week 38 which in many respects is more or less full term! Hope you are keeping well and resting in the meantime. Great to hear that all is well and look forward to hearing your news!

All good here, though i feel quiet uncomfortable and wonder if the baby is knocking on the door trying to escape. In reality though i think all is well. I had a scan yesterday, and everything was good - average head, and apparently a huge tummy (maybe i should cut down on the chocolate, crisps and ice-cream!). So i had a good chat with the consultant, and he advised an elective cesarean in week 39, and removal of the stitch at the same time. That plan suits me fine, as after three traumatic delivery attempts (and one DD) i think i would end up with an emergency c-section anyway, so i'm glad to have it planned. So yay - bring on the end of Sept!

Hope everyone else is well!

Iolaway32 Thu 17-Jul-14 19:31:02

Hi everyone,
37 Weeks and still no baby which is what I wanted achieve, but from this week I am ready to meet my baby.

Amum,how are you feeling regarding the stitches is it still a bit painful or are you feeling much better now?

Taytocrisp hope you well and getting excited reaching the 30 Weeks mark,any dates from your consultant in relation when exactly will you have you sutures removed.
Will keep posted and kisses and hugs to all the mum's. Xx

Iolaway32 Sat 12-Jul-14 16:37:29

Hi TaytoCrisp,
Apparently everyone is under or 37 Weeks pregnant and have a C.section or sutures removed will be giving two lots of steroids injection. Its all new to me as well because all I was expecting was just having the sutures removed.
In relation to having the sutures out at 36 weeks is because I am a bit anaemic so to prevent blood loss if I was contracting before have the sutures out,my consultant suggest having them out at 36 Weeks,but he said its quite common having them removed from 35 weeks.
Speaking of having my Sutures out,MY GOSH it was sooo painful.
I do not want to alarm anyone as I did a lot a re search before and almost everyone that I read the comments said it was very quick and not that painful but from my personal experience it was awful.
I had a Doctor & a Surgeon present and they was fantastic but even with a lots gas and air I thought it was worse then given birth.Saying that they told my suture was covered in new tissue and they had to cut all out before removing everything and making sure no suture was left behind,everything took less then 20 Minutes but I was proper sweating and shaking by the time they finish.
I was allowed home within a hour after having the sutures removed and not pain at all since,actually a relieved and no pressure at all down below,baby got lots of room now.
28 weeks oh my gosh time as fly,TaytoCrisp yes your consultant should by 30 weeks given you a plan and date to have the suture removed.
Good luck with everything and the lovely Support you been given.
I will keep posted.
xx

TaytoCrisp Fri 11-Jul-14 14:38:53

Hi Iolaway. Just wondering why you need steroids, is this something to do with stitch removal?

I'm on aspirin and heparin injections for blood clotting issues, so would be keen to avoid the chance of blood loss due to early onset labour with stitch still in... Good to know that others have waited til 39 weeks (i guess that would be great in many ways) though it seems a bit late to me! I will ask my consultant next week... I'm 28 weeks now but this has been on my mind for the last week or so - id like to have a plan in place by week 30-32.

Iola thinking of you today - hope the stitch removal is not too uncomfortable! Look forward to hearing how you get on. Keep well!

Hope everyone else is keeping well too.

Iolaway32 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:39:20

Hi Taytocrisp,
Thank you very much for the support,yes I would love to go for another 10 days after the removal of my stitches but very happy in making this far.
My consultant says that having stitches removed at 36 Weeks its just for precaution in minimasing blood loss or the rupture of uterus if start to contract with stitches on.
But I heard from few mum's that they had their stitches removed that late around 39 Weeks so I am sure you will be fine. I had two lots of steroids injection on Tuesday and Wednesday this week which was not nice at all, so you be lucky in not having any steroids injections because you will be pass the 37 Weeks mark.
How many Weeks are you now?
All the best to all the mum's and I will keep post soon after having my stitches out.
Xx

aMuminwaiting Tue 08-Jul-14 22:28:21

Mr Rai told me 35 weeks for my stitch removal. That's much earlier than you guys.

TaytoCrisp Tue 08-Jul-14 00:00:57

Good luck on Friday iola - you are nearly there now - fantastic. I was looking at various articles about how long baby stays in after the stitch has been removed, and about 11 days seems average - obviously some come before then and some after, so hopefully you will have a bit more time and make it up to 38 in any case. What type of delivery are you planning?

I'm a bit confused as my local consultant wrote in my notes that the plan is to have stitch out 39 weeks - which seems very late according to other peoples experiences and the general rcog guidance. Maybe he made a mistake hmm. I will need to ask him to clarify - I hope he has a good deal of experience with this!! I got the stitch in st Mary's but am now reliant locally for rest öf care ( live 5 hours from London).

amum great you have the stitch but sorry you have not been feeling well since. I had a modified shirodkar too. Had bleeding for a few days but it was fairly light. Did get a little extra bleed about a week or two later which was very worrying at the time, but nothing to worry about since. Took one day off work as I prefer the distraction! Hope ur feeling better soon.

Iolaway32 Mon 07-Jul-14 14:12:00

Hi kelly, Yes I am having the stitches out this Friday when I will be 36 Weeks but hopefully I will be another week or two weeks before buba decides to do the entrace.
Saying that all last week and this week I barely sleep a wink,been using the toilet every hour during the night,so actually anytime next week would be nice.
Amum, I was so sore for weeks after having the stitches done that I though something was wrong with me.
But like I said before each person is different,some of the mums that had the same procedure where back on their feet and working after a week.
You be fine, it's so boring and annoying but laying in bed as much as you can it really helps.
Take care xx

Kelly1814 Mon 07-Jul-14 11:39:14

iola can't believe your stitch is coming out so soon!

i was just like you - when i went into premature labour at 34 weeks and they thought i'd have to have a c-section i was refusing and horrified - i couldn't bear the loss of control. but as you say, there was a time when i wasn't gongto make it past 24 weeks!

i think it's natural to cling to anything you can plan and control. in the end i hung on until 36 weeks and then DD had to come out!

the steroid shots are a great idea - as you probably remember my little one (4 pounds!) was tiny but perfect and no breathing problems, because i had the steroid injections.

stay strong everyone. it's a hideously tough time but you will get through it.

aMuminwaiting Mon 07-Jul-14 07:37:08

I'm still getting some bleeding and soreness. It all feels very swollen down there. Everything I've read people stop bleeding after a few days.

aMuminwaiting Tue 01-Jul-14 21:14:58

Thank you. I was feeling ok when I got home, had a bath and a nap, then felt like there was air trapped in my ribs and tried to burp (nice I know) and was really sick instead. Am going to have an early night. Pregnancy isn't fun at the best of times but as my Aunt in Canada just said on Skype I never do things the easy way!

Iolaway32 Tue 01-Jul-14 20:47:21

Hi aMum,yes I did bleed for a bit while I was at Hospital for two days & I think a tiny bit after been home.
Oh my gosh yes totally, it was so painful that it was times I though the same as you that my insides would fall out.
Some mum,s say they was fine after a week,but with me it was about three Weeks.
If you can take paracetamol and a nice shower seating down in a plastic chair and lay down in bed,I know sounds silly but it really help me.
Take care & soon you will be feeling much,much better.
xx

aMuminwaiting Tue 01-Jul-14 18:11:08

Did you have quite a bit of bleeding? It's eased off since yesterday but feels like my insides will fall out when I stand.

Iolaway32 Tue 01-Jul-14 16:33:48

Oh aMum that,s fantasti news,Well done finally the day came & now you will feel a bit more relaxed with stitches done.
Like said before I only start to feel better without much pain 3 weeks after having the procedure done.
xx

aMuminwaiting Tue 01-Jul-14 15:35:41

Just got home from having the shirodkar stitch. Feeling very sore but my baby is doing well.

Iolaway32 Tue 01-Jul-14 15:19:16

Hi everyone,
Been seeing my consultant yesterday & he book me to have my stitches out next Friday the 11th of July.
I have to be at Hospital at 7 am & also advised that things could go very quickly once they removed my stitches,but 2 days prior to that I have to take steroids injections on the 8th & 9th of July.
Sounds really silly but I was hoping in having them removed more towards the 18th of July when I will be 37 weeks and my kids nearly finish the School.
My husband said I been silly because back in April I would give anything to reach the 24 Plus Week mark & now I am thinking about our older children been on School Holiday.
He is right,but I have been through so much no knowing how far I would get on this preganancy that I feel like controlling a little bit now so near the end.
Can anyone help me with this question?

Have anyone been offered the GBS Test(Group B streptococcus in pregnancy)?
Because until now my Midwife have not mention at all regarding this test,also about the whooping Cough Vaccine?
Take care everyone & I will be in touch.
xx

Iolaway32 Mon 30-Jun-14 11:49:17

Hi Chocmuffin1,
Really sorry for the very late reply I had a really stressful and busy weekend as I had to organized a Baby Shower party for 30 guests,
But yes regarding your question,When I first had my cervix measured I was 24mm at 18 weeks then went down to 15mm at 20 Weeks and when my Consultant decided to have my cervix stitched I was 4mm at 22 weeks.
How weeks are you know?
take care & speak soon xx

AllYouNeedIsTea Sun 29-Jun-14 10:23:57

Thanks for your reply aMum. So what i'm experiencing could just be normal? I think i'm super tuned in to every little feeling which doesn't help.

Good luck for your sutre Hopefully once it's in you'll be able to relax and enjoy your pregnancy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now