Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The Short Cervix Club

(513 Posts)
Pizdets Mon 10-Jun-13 19:25:31

Given the high number of threads started in 'pregnancy' on short/incompetent cervixes of late, I thought I'd have a crack at starting a club which we can join to share how we're getting on and pool the information we've been given which hopefully can also reassure or inform other ladies coming on here and worried about the state of their cervixes.

I'll kick off with a bit about my own story:

I'm currently 24+4, due 26th September. I had a scan at the prem clinic at Queen Charlotte's in London who measured my cervix as 2.3/2.4cm and advised a stitch (they do this for anyone who measures under 2.5cm). I had the stitch put in at 15 weeks with a spinal block and so far so good - I'm walking the dog, doing pregnancy yoga, still fairly active and no problems or twinges at all (so far!).

Please feel free to share your experiences, ask questions or update, it's great to hear from other people going through the same worry and so reassuring to know if things are going well!

Piz

Alexandra6 Fri 20-Sep-13 14:15:12

Are you trying any old wives tales tricks to speed things up piz?

My consultant said at my last scan that I will probably now go over ironically after all the worry. I laughed but said I won't complain when I get there if that's the case after all the anxiety bet I do complain though

Was just getting worried about bumpy as I accidentally whacked by bump with my work laptop earlier and it really hurt, so I got scared I'd damaged the baby's face/head. Haven't felt it move since but I think I just felt a little flicker movement. Trying not to get obsessive and worried about that now!

Pizdets Fri 20-Sep-13 17:31:08

Oh Alex I did the same about 30 weeks, think he had a growth spurt and I whacked into a door handle! Called the midwife and she said it would be fine, think most people bump their bumps at some stage or another.

I have been trying pretty much every trick in the book: lots of sex, long walks every day, cuddling other babies, raspberry leaf tea, curry, clary sage, reflexology...you name it! He'll come when he's ready but I mostly just really don't want to be induced, there's been enough intervention in this pregnancy already, I want something normal and natural please!

Alexandra6 Fri 20-Sep-13 18:16:43

I feel the same on induction piz I want a natural birth - although I will go epidural if I need to and can! Just remembered I have an acupuncture session paid for as I was doing that for fertility and then stopped when I got preggers, I wonder if that's a good idea for bringing on labour? Or at least getting the body ready for it?

Oh don't forget lots of pineapple!

plentyofsoap Fri 20-Sep-13 21:09:29

Hi glad to hear everyone is doing well. I can't imagine getting to term you must be so excited Piz.
Think we are both 30 weeks now Alex which is great. Had scan and there has been no change so back in 4 weeks this time and still on the hormones. Bump is measuring 33 weeks and is very very low so having to watch where I am going. I had a bad bump at 30 weeks last time its so easily done. Just two more weeks and I will start to relax (a little bit)

Magpieblue Sat 21-Sep-13 09:14:00

Hello everyone, just been reading through the thread and I'm so sorry for anyone who has suffered losses. It's made me really worried. I'm in my first pg, currently 14 weeks. I had LLETZ about five years ago and I'm being referred to a consultant to check my cervix but it's not for another three weeks, when I'll be 17 weeks. I've been reading stuff that says stitches are normally put in at 12-14 weeks. Should I be pushing for an earlier appointment, and have I left it too late already?? Does anyone know? Sorry for panicked post, but I've got myself into a state!

Alexandra6 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:40:16

magpie I know that awful anxiety well! I can only tell my story, but I was told that one lletz does not mean there will be issues necessarily. I was checked very early on (12 weeks) and the consultant advised a precautionary stitch. I then got a second opinion from a consultant who has done a lot of work on cervixes and he didn't think it was short enough for a stitch. I didn't get one and am now 30 weeks and all going well, touch wood. The awful thing is there is no way for them to tell how a cervix will cope over the pregnancy, especially for a first pregnancy. My measurements come up as longer now than they did at 12 weeks (whether this is because of it being hard to measure or whether the cervix can actually stretch longer is debatable). I said fair enough it's really difficult to predict that early on, but I can't risk a loss just so they find out my cervix is incompetent. Having said that, I would have only had the stitch if my cervix showed up as very short, based on the second consultant's cut off point measurement - as he pointed out, the stitch is not totally risk free and is still intervention. He also said stats on precautionary stitch success are skewed because lots of those women might not have needed it anyway. So you can't accurately compare precautionary and emergency stitch success rates, that what his opinion.

Anyway sorry for rambling but I just wanted to reassure you that one lletz doesn't necessarily mean an incompetent cervix or that you need a stitch. I also know you don't want to run the risk. If I were you, I would ask for an earlier check but be aware that the cervix competence is difficult to predict at early stages - however you will be able to tell if it's very short (like it was for some people on here) and therefore you can make a judgement on a stitch with your consultant. They should be able to do that quickly if they spot a problem at 17 weeks if you do need to wait until then. Please, please try not to worry, I know exactly where your head is at but I went through an awful time in the pregnancy worrying about it and my cervix is coping well so far. They even commented that it looks "about normal" in my last scan, and that's after a lletz.

plenty really glad things are going well for you and keep taking it easy. Yay for the 30 week milestone for both of us smile

plentyofsoap Sat 21-Sep-13 09:43:07

Hi Magpie sorry you are so worried. I had a previous pre term birth and although i was under consultant care i was considered low risk. I asked for a scan for cervix length which was refused. I should gave pushed for it as that is the problem in this pregnancy. However the only treatment i have had is the progestrone hormone and it appears to have worked for mebalong with plenty of bedrest.

legallyblond Sat 21-Sep-13 09:46:12

Hi there. I didn't have the stitch until 23 weeks and, as you will have seen up thread, that was successful and I carried twins to term! 17 weeks is not at all too late.

Alexandra6 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:53:40

Oh and also just remembered there was someone in my office who had a stitch at either 21 or 23 weeks so agree with legally

Magpieblue Sat 21-Sep-13 11:25:29

Thank you so much Alexandra, plenty and legally - that is a big reassurance. I'm a massive worrier at the best of times, and pg just seems to magnify everything.

You're totally right, I don't want this pg to be a "test run" for whether things are going to go ok or not just because it's my first. I don't want to risk losing it between now and my appt just because I didn't do anything about it, so I've booked a private scan for Monday morning. Peace of mind more than anything, and then I'll just see where I am at 17 weeks.

So nice to hear about people who carried to term and upwards of 30 weeks!

plentyofsoap Sat 21-Sep-13 11:43:01

That sounds like a really good idea to go private at least you will have peace of mind smile

Alexandra6 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:21:51

Agree, good plan, I think would have done that and gone private for that scan if I'd had to wait. Let us know how it goes - measurements, advice etc - it really varies so it's good to share on here. I didn't listen to anyone telling me not to worry but I'm going to say it anyway, please try not to over the weekend as you don't know that there is a problem at all after one lletz. Oh and totally agree on pregnancy magnifying anxiety!!!

Mummers0514 Fri 27-Sep-13 10:36:47

Hello ladies!!

It's beenovely reading some of your stories, granted not all as dont have that Much time but have read a couple of months worth :-D

I hope you don't mind me joining?

I had my first born at 34 weeks, short cervix (21-24mm) was noticed at 20 weeks I was monitored till 28 weeks, it didn't drop below 20 but he was then Born at 34.

That baby is now 8 and perfect!

I am now 14.2 weeks pregnant and have experienced pain and bleeding from 6 weeks, i saw the consultant at 12 weeks didn't measure cervix but put me on progesterone pessaries, seeing consultant again on tues at 14+6 I am so so nervous this time,I'm off sick with stress for 2 weeks injust can't think straight :-(

Any advice??

Much love x

Mummers0514 Fri 27-Sep-13 10:37:29

How did your scan go?

plentyofsoap Fri 27-Sep-13 17:36:34

Hi mummers hope you are less stressed? I am on the hormone treatment too after my ds was born at 33 weeks and they saw I had a short cervix at 26 weeks with this pregnancy. It was down to 16mm. Im now at 31 weeks and with lots of rest and the treatment it went to 20mm so hanging in there! Its not been easy though. Have they suggested anything else treatment wise?

plentyofsoap Fri 27-Sep-13 17:41:37

Forgot to add that at least they have found your shortened cervix early unlike with mine. I have had the steriod injections and extra scans too which is something you could rise with the consultant?

Pizdets Sun 29-Sep-13 17:37:42

Hi all,

Sorry for lack of replies but a bit of news - baby Alistair born yesterday at 7.23am (40+2) weighing 9lbs 4! Apparently my cervix dilated quickly once it got going so was 15 hours from waters breaking to birth...quite long enough for me!

Best of luck to all the other short cervix ladies, hope you get some reassurance and healthy babies soon!

Piz

plentyofsoap Sun 29-Sep-13 19:21:49

Thanks fantastic news! You must be very happy now your little boy is here. I bet it has been worth all the worry wink
31 weeks now so keeping positive. Enjoy your new baby and congratulations x

Kelly1814 Mon 30-Sep-13 08:29:05

Piz!!!!!!!!!! So so happy for you, I have a tear in my eye. Congratulations! He's a great weight too. Love the name smile

Mummers0514 Mon 30-Sep-13 17:50:23

Hi plentyofsoap

They haven't suggested anything else yet, I am having my cervix measured for the first time this pregnancy after using progesterone for 2 weeks to see the length. I am praying for long length!!!

When you say rest, did you give up work? I have an office job so the most I do is walk to the door then sit down, is this classed as rest?

I keep getting a pressure down below and a pain that feels like it's inside vagina, sorry for TMI but did anyone else get this??

Congratulations on the new arrival!!

plentyofsoap Mon 30-Sep-13 18:16:32

Hi my consultant signed me off as soon as it was found so 26 weeks. I start mat leave next month as I was planning on going early anyway. I was just in the office too, but it is in a different city so I just could not take the risk. I had funnelling with my short cervix too which was more of a worry as well. I went on complete bedrest to take the pressure off along with the hormone treatment. I came off bedrest after my last scan at 28 and a half weeks when it seemed to have remained the same. I'm still not walking far and taking plent of rest. I really feel the pressure too as baby is low down.
The hormone treatment got my cervix from 16 mm to 20 mm which is short still but havent given birth yet! I'm sure it will help alot of the research is positive about it. Its hard not to worry though.

Mummers0514 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:25:04

Thank you for your quick response! Are you in uk or USA? I am really concerned about cervix and baby (even though torrpw will shed more light) and I'm
Also worried about maternity leave because if I get signed off now my statutory maternity leave will go from £550 Per month to £300 per month, but I guess baby is more important than any money eh!!! X

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 07:59:55

piz congratulations!! Ahh, really happy for you and little Alistair, and so glad things turned out well for you. Thanks again for all your advice on here especially when I was so stressed earlier on. I really want details of the birth now it's all starting to feel very real for me!

plenty you're doing well smile It is funny I wasn't offered hormones by either consultant, didn't sound like it was their policy. But if it's working for you, that's great. You and I are nearly at exactly the same stage in terms of dates!

Hi mummers yes baby is absolutely more important, but I do know what you mean. I also feel bad for employers in these type of situations (although DH points out they will screw you over if they need to so you have to put baby and your health first!) Now I'm not as worried about my cervix and feeling more confident, my work are doing the same and expecting me to carry on as usual, which is fine but I don't want to push my luck now I'm third trimester so am going to try and listen to my body if it doesn't feel right. Good luck with the consultant today.

Funnily enough I have a funny sore, pressure like feeling today and have also had pains around the bump for the last couple of days. Trying to tell myself it's just third trimester aches and pains!

plentyofsoap Tue 01-Oct-13 08:49:35

Good luck today mummers.
I am lucky that I work for an organisation which is gov run so its different to private firms. I have hardly been there this pregnancy, but have the rest of my working life to get put on so I am not feeling too guilty! Last time my when my ds came early I had to take some time off unpaid but it was worth it.

plentyofsoap Tue 01-Oct-13 08:53:25

Alex you must be very happy to be in the last bit now smile I am happy to have got this far and 32 weeks this weekend. My consultant says we can relax after 32 weeks as the risk of complications is low. I am getting pains as I am getting bigger which I am happy to experience! Have they discussed a birth plan with you yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now