Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

BFP wishes CAME true - Thread Two!

(1000 Posts)
Kittenkatzen Wed 05-Jun-13 14:02:05

Thought I may as well start this given I'll be around for another (hopefully) 14ish weeks smile Hope I've not crossed posts with anyone!

Kittenkatzen Wed 05-Jun-13 14:06:22

I just wrote a big long post on the old thread that got lost grrrrr........anyway, the executive summary of it is;

ted ouch poor you, can you self medicate at all (maybe with wine)?

wee yay for the lovely scan news and double yay for having dates put forward, bonus!

red hope you manage not to puke in the supermarket - let us know how it goes!

mrsbri sounds uncomfy - hopefully it's baby wiggling into position to put in an appearance soon!!

I'm sure there was more but I've forgotton now....so <waves> to everyone else, hope you're all ok!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Wed 05-Jun-13 14:24:22

Hi kitten thanks for the lovely new thread.

ted I really sympathise re the piles. I got them when I was in labour with dd. They mostly cleared up but are back with a vengeance due to this pregnancy. I wanted to get them banded as I am sick of them. Does it really hurt then?

mrsbri sorry you are uncomfortable but at least things are moving in the right direction (so to speak).

red best of luck in the supermarket

thingy any symptoms yet?

MrsBri Wed 05-Jun-13 14:46:38

Oh, sorry Ted, I missed your post.

It sounds really painful :-( I'm sorry the surgery hasn't provided the answer to the issues.

Kitten / When, it's really uncomfortable, but if it means exit is imminent then yay! :-)

RedRobin1 Wed 05-Jun-13 15:13:34

Liking the new thread title! Thread two smile

Supermarket was okay for the first half.... it was only when I got to the world foods aisle (thai, mexican etc) that I had to control the gagging. These used to be my fav foods once upon a time.... sigh!

Weird thing happened in the supermarket. A newborn baby was crying (it was so tiny - must have been 2-3 weeks old) and my boobs were zapping me like electric lightning every time that baby cried.... and they only stopped when the baby stopped crying. Then I got all mushy and was almost about to start crying as I realised I was about to REALLY be a mum in a few months time.....good lord! I am so hormonal right now.

thingy your Emma's diary comment made me giggle. I got my pack yesterday too. You get some freebies too from Emma's diary.

Quick question - I am debating NHS vs NCT antenatal classes. I am swaying more towards the NCT ones as put off by NHS ones in our area from friends/family. Did anyone find either of them useful and good?

mrs bri so good that you have such good breastfeeding support... will have to check what they offer in our area.

wee good news on seeing ickle baby chops ... when is your EDD?

MrsBri Wed 05-Jun-13 16:46:40

Red, I well up when I think that we'll be having our little baby soon. DH keeps telling me that my eyes have broken as I can be fine one minute and in floods of tears the next! Bless him, he's very understanding about it :-)

With regard to ante natal, I decided that I could not justify the money for the NCT ones and went to the NHS class instead. I found it good and very informative, particularly about what the particular hospital I am going to offers and its timings for such things as a sweep, induction, how long they leave you if your waters go and labour doesn't start, whether you get one to one care and pain relief. Having not been to any NCT classes, I don't know if they are able to give you that info (and you may not be interested anyway).

Not sure what Baby B has been up to today. I do know that it involves a lot of fidgeting. And my bits hurt. Quite a lot! Just want to meet him / her now...come out Baby B :-) 38 weeks tomorrow!

Kittenkatzen Wed 05-Jun-13 18:35:56

COME ON BABY B!!! grin

red I haven't done my NHS classes yet (was late sending my form back so they've only just managed to squeeze me in before EDD!) but have heard they are pretty good, and thy include DH too which he's pleased about. As for NCT, I've heard mixed reviews about my local group - by all accounts the course is informative but the group tends to be cliquey and apparently they can be quite pushy wrt natural births, bf, cloth nappies...all the competitive parenting stuff. So that coupled with the cost means I'm not doing it. Instead I'm doing Daisy Birthing classes, which so far have been lovely - a mixture of gentle yoga, relaxation and teaching of breathing techniques to be used during labour. They run NCT-style workshops which I'll hopefully do later on.

Kittenkatzen Wed 05-Jun-13 18:37:06

Just remembered, I have booked one NCT thing, a baby first aid course for DH and I in a few weeks time

Phew, thought I lost you!!

red - sappy urge to cry over EVERYTHING recedes (a bit) in 2nd tri but now I'm in 3rd tri the urge to coo and weep over everything is back in full effect. Have a Kleenex (oh and one for me too lol)

kitten / mrsbri - eep I never did first aid tho always meant to! Hope it goes well for you smile I never went to NCT classes cos I thought it was v pricy but i did go to NCT baby group with DS and it was really nice. iMHO nothing can really prepare you for going through childbirth because its like nothing most of us have ever experienced but I thought Simone Cave's Baby Week by Week guide was invaluable, short, straightforward parenting help from day 1. Planning to dig it out again for a refresher read actually!!

Loving todypays sunshine - spent all afternoon pottering in postage stamp size back garden with DS in paddling pool / pop up tent. Bliss!

tedmundo Wed 05-Jun-13 21:36:23

I have not read all this thread but wanted to tell when .. The banding has been utterly trouble free. It is the removal of the skin tags that has been painful. I spoke to the doc at the hosptal and she basically said that I just have to get on with it and it will take about a month to heal. Oh joy ....

I am self medicating on toblerone tonight.

Will go back and read properly now...

Thingymajigs Thu 06-Jun-13 09:51:28

Just had a panic in town. I started to feel very heavy cramping and then felt dizzy. Noticed a feeling of wetness suddenly and nearly passed out in town. Got home and the wetness was just lots of CM. This is awful. I can't wait until that first scan. I might pay for an early one actually. <and breathe>
Lots of sympathy from me ted. I got piles with my first pregnancy and its gradually got worse over the years. I dread to think how pregnancy will affect them now.

RedRobin1 Thu 06-Jun-13 10:30:18

thingy I still check the toilet tissue for any red or pink spots! It's hard to believe AF is not coming for awhile.

An early scan was worth every penny. It just made it so much real and stopped me worrying...although I still do. Didn't have any cramping in the early weeks but I started getting it this week (9w) and I really thought AF was going to start. It's a horrible feeling. But the cramping is totally normal - uterus stretching and making room for baby smile

Thingymajigs Thu 06-Jun-13 10:39:37

That scan must have been such a relief for you. I think I'll have to have one too because I'm worrying myself sick. With my first two I had no worries at all, I just felt like everything would be fine but I was much younger and less informed then.
All we can do is try to relax and wait it out and avoid Google... I should definitely start doing that. confused
Thanks for reassuring me red. I've got to go to work in a minute and didn't want that bothering me all day.

MrsBri Thu 06-Jun-13 10:57:33

Red, checking the loo roll never stops.

Until full term you don't want to see anything, thereafter you're impatiently awaiting your show / signs of waters breaking!

It's quite literally the most bonkers 9 months you'll ever have!

Alexandra6 Thu 06-Jun-13 14:12:39

Hi! Sorry I haven't been around, I've been busy worrying about the cervix stuff and a UTI so thought I'd avoid moaning and stressing on here and boring you all! With the UTI, the stupid hospital took 3 weeks to send me an "urgent" letter saying I have a UTI and need to take antibiotics. However I'd prefer not to take antibiotics unless I need to and surely a UTI could have cleared up in the time it took them to tell me? So hope I haven't made a massive mistake but I insisted they retest straight away and fast track results, so I will hopefully find out tomorrow morning if it's still there, fingers crossed it's gone but I'll take antibiotics straight away if it's still there.

On the cervix side, I have my next scans the week after next and if all measures up well, I'll be so pleased! Again fingers crossed it hasn't shortened as I can't afford much shortening.

Anyway I've been catching up on everyone and CONGRATULATIONS thingy, great news! I def recommend the early scan too. Oh and yes I can remember meeting a friend for lunch in a restaurant and literally running past her to the loo because I felt damp, was so glad it was just discharge! I'm always loo roll and knicker checking!

Hi everyone else grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Thu 06-Jun-13 14:37:57

Thanks for that info ted I definately want the banding after this one is born. Last pregnancy I was worried about the state of my vagina post birth, it never occurred to me I should have been worrying about my arse.

thingy I know what you mean about suddenly feeling damp, it happened all through my first trimester. So panic inducing. If you can go for the early scan.

Kittenkatzen Thu 06-Jun-13 15:33:57

The damp panic still hits me now at 26 weeks I'm afraid....sorry!!! grin

Thingymajigs Fri 07-Jun-13 06:25:33

It seems to be pretty common then. I guess running to the loo is going to become a feature in the next 8 months then. Should help keep the weight down. grin
Good luck with the results alex. Its always a worry having to take medication during pregnancy so hopefully it has cleared up.
DP and I have decided to have a reasurrance scan at 7-8 weeks because we are a mess at the moment. So, only 2 weeks to go instead of 7. Is 7 weeks too early though? Would we definitely be able to see a heartbeat by then?
How is everyone?

Alexandra6 Fri 07-Jun-13 08:34:06

Thanks thingy I called the hospital and apparently my sample on tues came back clear woop! So no need for antibiotics as it seems my body has beaten it naturally! Better keep drinking lots of water in case it comes back but am pleased I don't have to take the drugs!

I waited for 8 weeks as heard it was better to and you def see the heartbeat then - I would wait to as near to 8 weeks as you can bear. Argh I remember the first few weeks, they crawl by don't they. The reassurance scan is well worth it though smile

I'm thinking about names at the moment, has anyone else pre-baby decided on names yet?

More or less gave myself heat stroke y'day - spent morning in stifling hot room in invigilating a gcse exam, was out doing messages and then out in garden with DS all afternoon in 25 degrees heat and then cooked dinner in hot kitchen. Couldn't eat a bite, sick to stomach and had to cancel on friends I was supposed to be meeting last night - avoiding sunlight today like a vampire!!!

Had really heavy CM this morning too - obviously it's a bit heavier just with being pg but for a couple of mins I thought I might be losing my plug. Sorry TMI but all seems to have settled down again now phew - 31 weeks is still a bit early for that!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Fri 07-Jun-13 11:20:20

thingy 7 weeks sounds ok for a scan. If all is ok at 8weeks you have a 98% chance the pregnancy going well. Don't know what the stats are for 7 weeks. Best of luck, early pregnancy panicking is not fun.

little you need to take it easier, if I spend anytime in the heat I get really bad water retention (cankles [shudder])

alex glad the uti cleared up. How is the cervix doing? I've gone a bit mental with on the name front. Have decided the baby is a girl and have started calling her Aurelia, dh isn't impressed. We have the 20 week scan on Monday, am pretty sure it's a girl though.

RedRobin1 Fri 07-Jun-13 13:56:30

when I like your stats....and Aurelia is a lovely name for a girl!

Haven't ventured into looking for names but my all time fav name is Lara if its a girl.

thingy I had a scan at 7+1 and I could see the little heart fluttering away. I could not hold it back till 8!

alex yay on the UTI clearing up naturally! Glad you don't have to take more meds...

mrsbri hope the baby's head in your pelvis is not too painful....not long to go now.

littlemiss hope staying and abiding the heat helps! Glad it was just excess cm and not a plug! 31 weeks is too early!!

Where is that pregnancy glow? Will it come? I have acne and blotches, bags under my eyes, wind and gas, hair looks dead....please tell me the glow will come in the second trimester.....

Going to the hair dressers to sort my hair out. Anyone know what the guidelines on colouring your hair are? I have started getting greys and want to cover them up!

Kittenkatzen Fri 07-Jun-13 14:13:19

my ankles completely disappeared yesterday, I was horrified! DH thought it was hilarious and has started calling me "cankle woman" hmm. They're marginally better today and I'm glugging water and twizzling my feet under my desk like there's no tomorrow!

when is your DH not impressed that you've decided it's a girl or not impressed with the name choice? I think it's lovely btw!

red Lara is very close to our chosen name if its a girl smile (we both think its a boy though for some reason which is a bit tricky!). On hair colouring I think you're fine, but should be aware that your skin might be more sensitive than normal so maybe stick to high/lowlights to avoid having a reaction to the dye?

<stern face> at little for overdoing it. Hopefully the weather has cooled off for you today like it has here.

Hurrah for disappearing UTIs and early scan bookings

Alexandra6 Fri 07-Jun-13 14:22:45

Yes stern face at littlemiss over here too - take it easy smile

Lara is lovely. It is hard both agreeing on the name isn't it, especially with my DH as I think he gets a little bit bored talking names (I could go for hours!) so I'm thinking i might do a shortlist and run it by him when we're on holiday an he can't escape talking about it loads hehe I've also learnt a big lesson and am thinking maybe I should stop running names past other people as if they don't like them, it puts me off, but everyone likes different names and it's so personal so maybe it doesn't matter what other people think!

grin at cankle woman! (Sorry!)

red no real pregnancy glow here yet, I think I look tired and skin isn't great, but a slight tan is helping!

My bosses want to talk about my mat leave next week (I'm only 15 weeks), does anyone else feel a bit weird about leaving work and going back and how it will change while you're away? I'm also not sure if I can go back full time and if not whether there will be part time options. Any SAHM who can let me know what that's like in case I can't go back part time or get part time work, or anyone else planning to do that?

MrsBri Fri 07-Jun-13 16:26:05

Yay, Alex, good news re the UTI :-)

And your employers ARE NOT allowed to talk about your mat leave with you yet. You don't have to tell them anything about your plans until you hand in your MATB1 (must be before 25 weeks). And THEY HAVE to assume you're taking the full amount. You aren't obliged to tell them anything at all! They're a real nightmare. And if they still haven't done a risk assessment then please do refer them to the HSE website which says they have to do one.

Littlemiss, yes you really need to go easier on yourself. Don't do too much in this heat.

Thingy, yay for an early scan. Mine was the best £50 ever spent!

Kitten, not good re your ankles :-( But typical bloke. My DH would say something similar. Men!

When, I love that name. What could your DH not like about it? Bet you can't wait til your scan?!

Red, second trimester is allegedly glowing time. I apparently looked great. Still felt like shit though!

And Baby B is causing A LOT of pain. He's got his feet lodged in my ribs almost constantly. Or, in the alternative, he waving them round just under my ribs. They both hurt. On top of that I have such bad lightning crotch I could cry! And my lower back aches. Please just come out baby!

Hello to anyone I've missed. :-)

This thread is not accepting new messages.