Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 7 - Getting closer!

(993 Posts)
Sarah2506 Sat 11-May-13 11:35:58

We got full! Hope everyone manages to find their way back here:-)

AlohaMama Wed 29-May-13 19:33:03

Congrats Maisie. Sorry it took so long for you but glad you have your little one now!

Um red, I am having a baby and then moving country and still only have about 15 things on my to do list currently (although it is organised by month, so that is just for the next two months). So....what are we all forgetting??!

DontmindifIdo Wed 29-May-13 19:35:08

53 jobs?? Please tell me you're delegating a lot of those...

I had my "pre-op" meeting today - apparently they will shave me on the morning of the c section if it's deemed to be required, we were told strickly not to shave or wax ourselves as risk of infection or something. Now, three issues with this, 1) i don't want to be dealing with pant topary on the morning of the c section, 2) if they just shave the bit they need then it might not be even and 3) shaved regrowth itches, I'd much rather have waxed regrowth. Debating seeing if I can get an emergancy wax at my (very clean) beauticans this weekend and go for full hollywood, if there's nothing there, then it is bound to be removing what htey need to be removed and at least it'll regrow at the same rate and not itch. Or is this very silly as I've been told not too?

Oh and as well as not eat, I've got to restrict what I drink prior to the ELCS, I'm a bit nervious about that, if I'm dehydrated, I'm more likely to faint and I do tend to faint at needles, I'm going to have a line put in my back, one in my hand, it's going to be a lot of needles, when I'm going to be not able to use one of my calming down techniques of drinking a lot of water.... hmm, this could be entertaining...

redwellybluewelly Wed 29-May-13 19:45:10

don't mind I have many many concerns about the CS, but the food element is the one which worries me most - I have low blood pressure and not eating makes me flake out fast, did they say how long it would be before you can eat again?

I've got preop on Friday. Am getting quite wound up about it now.

Re the lengthy list I know it sounds insane but I think it's a control thing - I cannot think about the CS so I need to think about everything else instead. Somehow in my head if the house is straight and organised, then it will all go more smoothly. Plus how much can DD and DH muck it up in three days?!

But I've broken down tasks into little steps in order to delegate at least a few things to DH!

DontmindifIdo Wed 29-May-13 19:52:56

The lack of food is worrying me too - not sure, they said about an hour until you're back up in the ward, and normally that's when you're given the food of the gods the toast and jam - be sure to ask at your pre-op meeting and tell me!!! I also have low blood pressure, oh this could be entertaining... make sure DH is ready to catch me.

I'm also trying to get my head round the fact i'll feel the c section, but not feel pain. I know what you mean, I think i should be focussing on tidying the house, not the op itself...

redwellybluewelly Wed 29-May-13 20:00:52

Also. DH doesn't understand tidying. At all. He hides things, or piles things up but proper sorting and tidying he is clueless.

Last time one reason we didn't have people help was because the house was so cluttered and horrible. Not dirty as such but just really cramped. So this time I'm determined to let people help if they want to, but I can't do that if there isn't some sort of organisation grin

arlandria666 Wed 29-May-13 20:02:38

Didn't go so good with the midwife baby has lost over ten percent of his birth weight so i have spent the rest of the afternoon crying thinking i am a failure :-(
They didn't send us to hospital as he isn't showing any signs of being dehydrated and he is weeing and having dirty nappies. I did tell them he only started feeding off both yesterday and only really got the hang of it I did tell them i asked for help in the hospital and they just looked at my positioning and said that was okay they never helped with anything else :-(
I have to feed him every two hours followed by cup feeding of 20ml i have expressed after every feed so far he has had two feeds and two cup feeds.
Think its going to be a long night but anything to make sure he is okay! I can see why people give up and go to formula i was very tempted so upset :-( and if the midwife had paid more attention yesterday they would picked it up earlier! :-(

learnermummy Wed 29-May-13 20:11:44

Oh please don't think you're a failure arlandria, breastfeeding is really difficult at first. You'll get the hang of it soon. Is there a helpline number you could try? Just for a bit of emotional support if nothing else.

Sams4lo Wed 29-May-13 20:21:45

Arliandra - I'm so sorry to hear your struggling with breastfeeding, it can be so hard, with dc2 I was so determined to feed him I used nipple shields for 4 months! I've just found national breastfeeding helpline - 03001000212 www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk / breastfeeding network support line - 0300 100 0210 / nct breastfeeding line - 0300 330 0771 www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com / la leche league 24 hrs - 0845 120 2918 www.laleche.org.uk

I hope one of those can help even just a bit of encouragement and support smile sending lots of good vibes for the night, will check in when little one has me up in the night smile xx

Sams4lo Wed 29-May-13 20:27:26

Ps when our baby was in hospital last week the midwifes were a pain in the butt with breastfeeding and not as supportive as they should have been sad we had to cup feed as well after I fed and omg what a nightmare that was! How I didn't hit the women who said I had to put a teat on a bottle! Sometimes they say things just to scare you and different midwifes have different opinions, so try not to be too hard on yourself, you are doing amazing and to be expressing that amount is fantastic smile x

Hawkmoth Wed 29-May-13 20:29:12

Arlandria, I was in the same boat. Frequent feeds, expressing... It does pass and one day everything just seems easier. DS has to undergo suck retraining, so if they have a bf expert either on the hv, MW or health trainers team it's worth seeking them out.

AmIGoingMad Wed 29-May-13 20:33:46

Oh arlandria poor you- what an afternoonhmm You are not a failure! You are doing really well and should feel proud if yourself. If you keep breast feeding and it all works out well- you are doing a brilliant job. If you decide to formula feed- you are doing a brilliant job. Please don't be down on yourself! It sounds like he's getting the hang of it all now too- that just hadn't had time to kick in with tangible results by the time the midwife came around. Trust your instincts and ask for any help you need. Sending hugs!

Dontmind and redwelly- I don't know how I'd cope with the lack of food/drink either. I don't understand how that all works with emergency c sections either where the woman wouldn't have been restricting food or drink. I'm worrying about all sorts to do with vaginal birth but there's a whole other set with c section too isn't there.

rrreow Wed 29-May-13 20:43:40

arlandria I'm sorry you're experiencing stress because of the loss of birth weight. If there is a breastfeeding drop in in your area I would really recommend going or even better if there are any breastfeeding counselors in the area who can do a home visit. Midwives are not breastfeeding experts. Try and get the help you need.

Although it definitely sounds like you're doing well already with baby starting to feed from both sides now and having wet & dirty nappies. I honestly think it just takes a little while to find your feet and the whole focus on how much birth weight they've lost can add unnecessarily to the stress when your baby is in all likelihood doing fine. It's all a learning curve!

redwellybluewelly Wed 29-May-13 21:01:20

Arlandria ring the breastfeeding support network they are absolutely wonderful, we went to hell and back to feed DD and they stood with us the whole way.

Steffanoid Wed 29-May-13 21:07:46

arlandria I think it's good he's starting to feed properly, you'll get there, at our hospital we have a bf lady who's number she gives out or you can get hold of, she comes out to see you if you want as well, or theres cherubs too, which is her follow on I think. you'll soon start to wonder how you were ever worried about weight loss when you have a chunky monkey!

I am feeling really fidgety this evening, got pressure right above my pelvic bone, am up and down, have made of swapped seats, can't lie down, can't sit up, can't slouch,

come on baby get a shift on so I can sit comfortably again!

cyclecamper Wed 29-May-13 21:24:05

Arlandria That is so stressful, I hope it gets easier for you soon.

Maisie Congratulations!

arlandria666 Wed 29-May-13 22:55:58

Thank you you lovely lot your kind words set me off crying again! Since they left at 4 he has had 4 breast feeds and 3 cup feeds its keeping him awake for the cup feeds that's difficult i strip him off and tickle his feet and we just about get through the 20 ml DH has been doing the cup feeds and think its helped him feel like he is helping.
My auntie runs parent education work shops on feeding at one of the hospitals she came over this afternoon and showed me how to cup feed observed me feeding too it was really helpful.
There is a support at the local sure start and once i feel better to walk i will go to that too.
Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

redwellybluewelly Wed 29-May-13 23:03:14

Keep on trucking, drink plenty of water as well as it helps and get thee to some proper BFing people who can see you feed. I hope that you are being looked after and just resting and feeding. He sounds like he is doing very well x

redwellybluewelly Wed 29-May-13 23:09:10

Created new thread here

I was wondering if we should start out with a refresh of the stats? I've lost track slightly of who is due when!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now