Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013, anomaly scans, boy, girls and little surprises :-)

(1000 Posts)
Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:08:21

Welcome to thread number 7 (of many) of the October bus xxx

We just got back from carpet right having put down a deposit on getting whole house recarpetted. Eek! Been meaning to for ages as the previous owner had no underlay and really cheap, very stained carpets which I hate and wouldn't want to lay a baby on. It seems sensible to do before the baby comes but it is another dent into our dwindling savings even with big sale on.

I had a pregnancy meltdown in the car. I drove DHs car for the first time, stalled three times at a junction then panicked when a man beeped his horn at me so insisted we swapped places. DH was annoyed as really not a good place to stop and get out. I then cried all the way to the carpet shop. blush

Had a productive morning in the garden first. Sometimes not being able to sleep much anymore is a bonus as my weekends seem longer. Feel like I have had a busy day and still time to do my school work before an early night.

Just got a text to say my sister, bil and niece are coming to stay with us for a couple of weeks while they find a new house nearby. (We did offer!) Should give me a bit of an idea of what life with a small child is like!

cazboldy Sun 28-Apr-13 16:40:34

just checking in x smile

All my sqirums an flutters have stopped for a few days, I know I should not worry but I am sad

cazboldy Sun 28-Apr-13 18:11:02

falcon have you been busy? I only notice mine when i lay still just as i get into bed.

Been in bed all day today have been busy last 2 days and all my joints are aching, hope I feel her later xx

cazboldy Sun 28-Apr-13 18:26:39

sure u will xxx

pinkbuttons Sun 28-Apr-13 19:40:46

Sure all is ok falcon I seem to feel it more on certain days and then not for couple of days, have assumed it depends on their position. Hope your feeling better soon xx

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 20:24:46

Hi girls. Another day spent on the sofa. Can pretty much write off this weekend... a combination of terrible nausea, muscle aches and shivers, incredible weakness, coughing and lost voice. Confusing as none of these many symptoms belong together! Not sure how I will manage to drag myself to work tomorrow...

sorry for the moan but honestly feeling terrible and wish I could put this pregnancy on pause just for one day. Shall I go to GP with these symptoms or do you think it's just a nasty virus I have to endure?

ananikifo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:36:48

I'm do sorry you feel so bad, claphammama! Your symptoms found like the kind of thing where a GP would counsel you on home remedies and preventing dehydration. I went to the doctor with the flu about a month ago and felt a bit silly because they didn't do anything. It felt like the worst illness I've ever had but in retrospect I can see their point.

It does however sound like you should stay home tomorrow if you can, and take care of yourself.

Umlauf Sun 28-Apr-13 20:39:28

Hi clapham. Sorry to hear you're still feeling rough. Have you tried taking anything? I'm the same, it started Friday morning and has been a tiny bit better today! I can't take the off work though so its better on a weekend. I'm dreading tomorrow as if I can't work ill have to take all the lessons again or lose pay as my boss will have to give the students their money back.

I'd say to go to the GP, if only to see what you can/can't take. You need relief!!!

Natalieand Sun 28-Apr-13 20:41:13

claphammama sounds to me like something your going to have to endure :-( just try and take paracetamol every 4 hours keep fluids up and hope it passes sooner rather than later. If its still persisting in a few days you could see your gp then possibly?

I'm a happy girly tonight for two reasons
1. I'm almost 100% I felt a kick/punch of some kind today low down just once though I'm 15+6 with dc2
2. I finally made it to my upgrade date on phone contract and currently typing this off my shiny new iPhone 5 :-)

Is anyone having anatomy scans or private gender scans this week? Xx

falcon perhaps have an ice cold drink and lay down for a bit sometimes that can encourage movements but then they do say not to expect to feel them regularly until like 24 weeks or so its quite possibly baby has turnt to face the opposite way or something? What's your midwife like? If she's nice/understanding would she perhaps mind squeezing u on to try and listen on for the heartbeat if it will put your mind at rest?

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 20:49:38

Thanks for your support preggo friends! Taking only paracetamol for aches and shivers. And drinking lots of ginger and lemon tea for nausea.

DP happy I've lost my voice. He shall pay for these comments when my energy returns!

Exciting about the first kicks Natalie! such a special moment

JellyCurls Sun 28-Apr-13 21:11:15

Hope all you sick ladies feel better soon. Sickness has returned today but think its to do with eating too much home baking and not to do with pregnancy.

18 wks tomorrow and still no movements to report and only got a bump when I relax tummy muscles, when I lie down there is nothing there. Can anyone tell me if they can feel anything if they lie down? I refuse to stress but sometimes it can't be helped

ananikifo Sun 28-Apr-13 21:51:01

Jelly curls I'm only 14+5 but my little bump disappears when I lie down, too. When I lie down and press my lower abdomen/pelvis I do feel something but it could well be my bladder.

roxvox Sun 28-Apr-13 22:34:23

Sorry to hear that so many of you are feeling rough. I kind of need to join you because, whilst I don't have a cold, I have had horrific headaches of late and have only been out of bed to eat food today.

JellyCurls I am 17w 5d tomorrow and haven't felt any movements yet either. This evening is the first time that I have noticed a bump, but I can almost breathe it in with a bit of effort (not that I want to)... When I lie down it disappears and I just look a bit fat! I am still fitting in normal clothes.

I cannot wait to feel kicks and punches! Congrats to those who already can smile

roxvox Sun 28-Apr-13 22:44:22

jellycurls what sort of body shape are you (if you don't mind me asking)? I am 6ft and whilst I wouldn't class myself as 'slim', I am not overweight. Loads of people have told me that they think it will be a while before I get any sort of bump because of my height, whereas other body shapes may notice their bumps sooner/get bigger bumps overall. I am not sure how much truth their is in it, but interesting that at least 3 or 4 different people have said the same thing to me.

roxvox Sun 28-Apr-13 22:54:53

Oh, and one more thing, just make sure I completely occupy this thread!

Thank you to those who offered me advice regarding sleeping on your back in the last thread. I too been trying to sleep on my left side. In fact I bought a dream genii on eBay (it has a padded bit that goes behind you to stop you rolling over) but I often wake up with the pillow out of bed, and me flat on my back. Good to know I've still got a while to get used to it though, thank you for all of the advice!

SeriousStuff Sun 28-Apr-13 23:46:02

anan and jelly I've noticed that in bed in the morning, if I tilt my pelvis up, my stomach is a large cone shape! But as soon as I go to the toilet it goes away again.

For the last few months, my stomach has been really warm but tonight, it feels freezing to the touch. Anyone else noticed this? I always liked it feeling warm, as it felt like all my energy was focused on that area, but now it's cold, I'm a bit worried...

GTbaby Mon 29-Apr-13 00:00:01

Wrt sleeping on bk. I've always slept on my side. But last pregnancy, particularly towards end could only get comfy on back! N would often wake up on my back despite pillows. Someone on that antenatal thread did mention u always have scans on ur bk. women if being monitored often spend hours in there bk. due to epidural I spent over 14 hours on my bk. so can't be that bad for odd hours sleep on ur bk. wink

My head ach is killer today. Maybe it's a 17 wk thing? My cold isn't helping.

In terms of bump. I didn't really notice mine till after 20 was last time. I'm a lil thick around the middle wink n often it looked bigger/smaller and it will happen until the baby is out.

Tip for ur wish lists. Grow bags are brilliant. However do not buy full price! eBay or tkmax! Just realised I'm on my 4th one in 6months at full price that would have cost £120! And I only have one per size. So if I had multiples Incase of night time accidents and leaks it would be very expensive.

Ps sry if my random tips r patronising or annoying blush

Just giving my lil gorgeous baby his last feed of the night so I can hit the sack in peace. DH has agreed to do the 7am feed grin

Night night

JellyCurls Mon 29-Apr-13 06:25:16

Thanks ladies, you'd think I would know all this with me being on dc3 but was showing more last time hence the stressing.

roxvox I am 5'11" so a tall bird like yourself with a "normal" build. Went out on sat night with own jeans on but my bust has grown so much my own tops don't really fit. I remember from last time my bump used to vanish sometimes and midwife told me its cause I had more room for baby between pelvis and rib cage. Hey ho, its Monday morning again so better get to work.

Have a good day everyone

Natalieand Mon 29-Apr-13 07:00:04

Wrt gro bags Asda tesco etc do their own gro bags and they are around £10 each which I used with dd and they were perfect too. Xx

roofio87 Mon 29-Apr-13 07:03:39

Gtbaby I love all your tips and everyone else's. getting advice from those of you who've done this all before is amazing!!grin

PseudoBadger Mon 29-Apr-13 07:06:40

Checking in as I missed the whole last thread.... grin

Iheartcrunchiebars Mon 29-Apr-13 07:19:21

Morning ladies! Hooray it's sunny! I start a new job today and am super scared. Wish me luck. The contract is till December so not really sure how that works pregnancy wise. They have said I can work from home as my pregnancy progresses which is brilliant, now just got to find a smart (and comfy) outfit!

Have a good day everyone.

Soupqueen Mon 29-Apr-13 07:23:05

crunchie, vey best of luck, you'll be great.

I need luck today too, it's the amnio this afternoon. Barely slept last night. First step is to get it out of the way and then worry about the results!

This thread is not accepting new messages.