Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: Growing bumps and the second trrimester glowing begins!

(1000 Posts)

Welcome to thread six of the October bus. how long will this one last us?!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

GTbaby Sat 27-Apr-13 23:19:23

Phew. That was close!

Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:10:26

New thread needed grin

Welcome Labrador smile

Ah yes cuille, i think you mentioned that before. Sorry, hard to keep up sometimes! DH made me homemade Mexican wraps for dinner yum yum. Avocado feels very nourishing for the baby. An excuse to pig out!

Homebirths are much cheaper for the nhs than hospital which surprised me, as they send two midwives out just for you (one only at the end, but still good). Maybe thats why they encourage them though! I don't think they are encouraged at Kingston necessarily but not discouraged as far as I can tell so far.

I am still not sure yet, got a while to decide. The midwife led unit looks good too, only four rooms, pools, mats, balls etc.

LabradorMama Sat 27-Apr-13 19:59:17

Hello ladies waves tentatively May I join this group? I am 14wks with DC1. Went back to work yesterday after 2wks signed off with HG, luckily I seem to be over the worst. Suffering with the odd moment of pregnancy rage (especially when driving!!) and feeling rather clueless about the whole pregnancy/baby thing. Haven't bought or even looked at anything for DC yet and no idea where to start. Also, my clothes don't fit but I'm not ready for maternity stuff, I just look like I've enjoyed rather too good a lunch!!!

roofio87 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:52:35

don't worry Natalie I'm home alone in my pjs watching the shawshank redemption. hardly exciting and laugh a minute!! grin

Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 19:47:49

Wow u chatty lot!
Excellent news that things are looking more positive for your dog caz

I love the name India I also like the name tobias the man next door is called tobias normally called Toby unless he's in the dog house lol

We have cream living room carpet so I'm glad I'm not planning a home birth I like the idea of being in hospital where I'm in good hands (supposedly) of any complications should occur. Although my birth with dd was complication free

Can't scroll back go see names but happy birthday to you! I'm jel of you ladies having nights out in sparkly shoes and nice dresses :-(

roofio87 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:37:27

my mw was very keen for me to think about home birth and this is my first. I'm not keen but its obviously encouraged here!

Claphammama Sat 27-Apr-13 19:27:51

they must have changed it then! I gave birth to DS in Kingston :-) small world! thought they were amazing. not keen on homebirth for number 1 though - told us during the maternity unit tour. Things change!

And yes, when I hear Spartacus all I can think of is Agador Spartacus from Birdcage :-) the crazy waiter.

still feeling terrible sick and on the sofa. all I can do is watch TV and chat... DP ended up cooking the tamarind prawns I promised him...

cuillereasoupe Sat 27-Apr-13 19:26:12

I live in France orange. In fact because I work in a university the year is practically over, so I only really go back to work in January grin

Clapham, yes they do let you have home births for first babies. My sister had her first at home last year (Oxfordshire) and my hospital (Kingston) says its fine as long as you are heathy and have no complications, even if it is your first.

India is lovely. DH and I having a giggle imagining teacher asking on first day, what is your name and getting the reply "I am Spartacus!" though. (Sorry if anyone thinking of that name).

Claphammama Sat 27-Apr-13 19:09:09

Thanks juniper. Yes, right in the heart of the nappy valley... and indeed we have some unusual names in our school including Coco and Spartacus. I really like Tobias. and agree with you - not so keen on Atticus. Any particular reason your man likes it?

orange do they allow you to have a homebirth if it's your first one? thought it was only if you've already had one without any complications?

smitten have a lovely night! impressed you are still in heels - I'm already all flats and comfort. I'm sure you will look stunning

Half term? Where do you live cuille? That is a far away fantasy for me for weeks yet!

cuillereasoupe Sat 27-Apr-13 19:01:55

32? You're a mere whippersnapper smitten!
I was congratulating myself on being over the worst of the knackeredness this morning. Then I fell asleep at midday and haven't moved from the sofa ever since. Good thing it's half-term.

juniper9 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:56:21

*not far

Also please assume capitals for those names!

That is good to hear. Decisions decisions! I would probably hire a pool and is suggested to have that on the ground floor as they weigh too much to have upstairs when full. Quite like the idea of looking out onto the garden having it in the living room and chilling out at home afterwards. I swing between that and midwife unit in case something goes wrong. Consultant may not allow because of asthma but I am hopeful I will be signed off consultant care at 16 week appointment.

juniper9 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:55:48

Clapham if you do live in clapham, a little
India will fit right in! I have one in my school (not not from you) as well as some other far more pretentious names!

I really like the names indigo and tobias but dp is not keen. Saying that, he likes atticus which I think is far worse!

cazboldy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:35:34

I wouldn't wait Orange - not much mess with a hb in my experience - just need a waterproof sheet and a couple of towels! I had one in the living room, 1 on the bed, 1 on the bedroom floor and 1 in the bath so far.......

grin where should i pick this time?

Caz we are getting new carpets too, perhaps we should delay if I go for a homebirth, hadn't considered that!

Glad the prognosis on your dog is better than they thought and for being signed off with the consultant.

cazboldy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:25:59

Hello all

feel like i haven't been on here for ages!

Had a little scan backwards.... Thanks roxvox and tuckingfits for asking after Fizz the dog smile

she is still with us at the moment! smile Vet decided she had had a spinal stroke, which although serious, is not as horrific as we first thought, and she has around an 80% chance of recovering - we just don't know how far she will recover, or how long it will take! (weeks - months likely) She is kind of bum shuffling around, and I have to help her wee still at the moment, so a bit extra work for me - but it will be worth it if she gets better! Fingers Crossed!!

Had my 16 wk check last Thursday. All good and heard Hb - really strong, and she found it really quickly too! Also definitely feeling fluttery movements now smile

Everything else all good, and mw said that now the consultant has signed me off, she thinks i should go for the home birth option! Will give it some thought, as had thought i wouldn't be allowed, but it's what i would prefer tbh..... just need to check dh is ok with having slightly increased risk, and think about what to do with older kids if I don't want them here - but plenty of time for that!

Have also redecorated our living room, had a new carpet, and got a new sofa all in the last week - but now am behind on my uni work, so really need to get stuck in!!

Hope all is well with everyone else? (will have more of a proper read through later!!)

Sorry for the mammoth post! blush

Smitten1981 Sat 27-Apr-13 17:50:11

I like India, very pretty.

It's my birthday tomorrow, 32 a sigh! We're off out to a new restaurant in town tonight for dinner with lots of good friends. I got a new dress today and DH bought me some amazing sparkly heels from Next so I'm very excited to take them for a spin.

I'm making the most of getting done up now while I can. grin

Claphammama Sat 27-Apr-13 17:29:20

By the way, need advice on one name I love for a girl... if it's a girl...
It's India and I loved it already when I was pregnant with DS. DP doesn't!

I am obsessed with India, spent a lot of time there over the last 10 years and I love this name as it reminds me about my passion for this country and its culture. But I worry it comes across as pretentious...

does it? let me know your honest opinions please!

Shirehobbit Sat 27-Apr-13 17:04:00

Torode and Lisa Faulkner? Really?! shock
The things you learn off Mumsnet.

Claphammama Sat 27-Apr-13 17:01:41

he did indeed! what a story! she split up from her husband too.

Happy birthday smitten by the way!! just seen your comment about the birthday outfit. Are you going somewhere nice tonight?

This thread is not accepting new messages.