Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated Elderberries (numero 3)

(1000 Posts)
BraveLilBear Tue 09-Apr-13 10:26:20

Welcome back oh graduated elderberries. Let us discuss the delights of being over-30 first-timers with google obsessions grin

HazleNutt Tue 09-Apr-13 19:45:46

Alex no, they are actually total mutts, an accident between my parents' Irish Setter and neighbour's mixed breed bitch (as in female dog, I'm sure she's perfectly nice).

Cavort according to google, labradors won't mature before they are about 3. Good luck! grin If seriously then I think around 1,5 or so ours calmed down a bit.

Alexandra6 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:50:35

BIL has for a black labrador that was very hyper but has calmed down recently, I think he's around 2 but will check. Came round for a meal the other day (with the owners!) and our cat was terrified and hid outside but the dog did behave well once he got over the initial excitement of being somewhere new.

My GSD calmed down a bit when she was 2 then again at 5 but that was with intensive training but she was a rescue dog so has always had...additional needs so she's still a nutter. The wolf? Well she's about 18 months and I'm still living in hope, she shows odd glimmers of sanity... Seriously though, the bigger the dog, the slower they mature. Labs do tend to be a bit nutty and enthusiastic so you have to be a bit patient with them!

Cavort Tue 09-Apr-13 21:58:50

Just the 2 years to go then before the dog calms down shock sad

I blame DH for our delinquent dog situation as he insisted on us getting a dog suitable for him to take out jogging, and he is conveniently in Scotland for a few days while I've had the pleasure of dealing with a Lab-sized hole in the fence and the embarrassment of him knocking my Niece and Nephew over like ten pin bowling pins. I knew we should have got a Budgie instead hmm

Oh I feel your pain I really do, I was happy with my special needs but old dog but no, OH wanted a bloody puppy and not just any bloody puppy bit a mental bloody wolf puppy. Sometimes I don't know how our relationship has survived this blasted dog! She didn't eat the fence but we found out she had been escaping by squeezing under the fence every day and disappearing, we has no idea until one of the neighbours told us because she was always there when we got home. I keep trying to remember how hard it was with my rescue dog in the early days and how it was all worth it in the end!

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:36:56

Loved the pet pics yesterday so have uploaded a pic of my naughty tortie for you to see, she's sitting in a show box because she likes getting into boxes and bags - we often have to remove her from people's handbags when they come over!

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:37:25

Shoe box even!

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 09:07:05

Looks like mine, just less evil. Our tortie absolutely loves DH, can tolerate the tiger cat and loathes everybody else. This morning was woken up again by her hissing and spitting at the Norwegian cat - we've had the latter for 2 years and the tortie still hates him.

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:15:50

Oh no poor Norwegian cat! Did you see that thread on here about cats being able to sense pregnancy, silly right but now I secretly think maybe mine knows!!

Was just reading another thread about good ways to help dads (as in other halves) feel involved with the pregnancy/baby, some sweet replies but my favourite was "I let DH hold my hair back when I puke" grin

janey1234 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:23:38

alex - your shitty cat looks quite cute there wink

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 10:06:15

alex don't worry about him, he's twice the size of the others and quite often a bit rough with them when he wants to play.
Honestly, we raised the pets all the same but they have all such distinctive personalities. Makes me wonder if we can even make any difference with DS or he will grow up the same anyway?

BraveLilBear Wed 10-Apr-13 10:28:55

Oooh deep conversation call there Hazle wink nature-nurture.... fight! grin

Thing is parents always say they bring their kids up the same, but in reality, how can they?

My fave pet pics so far are snow cat and naughty tortie.

Cavort bit random this, but I just got a flashback to your tale of woe when you got your new pup and that ms episode in the garden... still makes me chuckle <apologies> can you look back on it fondly and laugh about it yet?

I had a fun night - fell asleep watching 24 downstairs with OH at 10. Dragged self to bed not long after. Could I sleep? Could I heck! Had a million things zooming round head and BB, who'd held off the usual daytime aerobics for much of the day, then went into over time.

Later, thought I was reaping the benefits of forcing encouraging OH to massage my bad hip <which was agony> until I woke in the middle of the night in agony again. Not sure if it's a trapped nerve thing or what as it makes my leg go sore all the way down to the ankle as well and nothing I do seems to relieve it - don't think it's restless legs either.

This only happens at night, and usually only on the right hand side. So weird.

So I didn't get much sleep at all. Least it meant I could get up and make OH some birthday breakfast at 6.15...

janey1234 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:32:58

Ah, cavort, even if you can't look back and laugh, I'm sure we are all doing the laughing for you...

brave - that sounds a little bit like my right leg a couple of weeks ago - which stopped hurting (in the middle of the day) as quickly as it started hurting. I'm sure it must be something to do with a nerve...?

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:57:39

Just googled quickly as was curious and there are people saying the way the baby was lying was putting pressure on their sciatic nerve and causing pain down their legs, could be that maybe? Either way, sounds painful, hope yours stops hurting soon too brave

What was cavorts story, it must have been before my BFP time?

BraveLilBear Wed 10-Apr-13 12:29:02

I'll let Cavort elaborate if she wishes to re-live the moment wink

I have had sciatic problems before Alex and it's quite a different pain, also, it occurs on the outer hip ie I tend to lie on my left side, but right side hurts worse. I think it's to do with hip alignment being knocked out by the relaxin and joint expansion, and the dead leg thing could just be a cruel coincidence.

Frustratingly, I'm not allowed to do prenatal yoga due to stupid low-lying placenta (I'm a liability apparently), which would be a significant help. Baths help, but it seems such a faff to have a bath every night before bed (not to mention poor old environment!).

Littlemissworrier Wed 10-Apr-13 12:40:49

Hi Ladies,

Hope you dont mind me joining, I have recentely found out Im expection after some hard time trying and a bit of fertility help with Clomid but lucky us, we finally got a BFP Easter weekend. Still really early as only 5 weeks tomorrow (and counting Eeeeeekkk)

Everything going really well except really really bad constipation. Ive always suffered and am under a consultant and 'normally' have really strong medication to 'make me go' Ive stopped this though and am on much milder stuff they have given me but its not working sad. Know this is a tad bit embarrasing blush but any help you can give? anyone similar problems? They have currently given me Fibrgel and Lactalose plus my diet is spot on, loads of water and im drinking a glass of prune juice each morining too (yuck). Not sure what to do next. 6 days since last movement and feel HUGE!!

Lots love xx

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 14:02:33

Welcome and congratulations!

janey1234 Wed 10-Apr-13 14:28:21

Welcome littlemiss.
No advice from me I'm afraid, you're already trying everything I'd recommend....

Littlemissworrier Wed 10-Apr-13 15:00:28

Ahhhh thanks ladies xxx

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 15:04:07

Brave could you get a dvd and do it at home? I mean it's yoga, I can't imagine it being actually risky.

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 15:18:07

A colleague just dropped in and also asked how I'm feeling and the usual. "So" he says, "two?"
I - "What? I'm not that massive! No, it's not twins, just one!"
"No, two months left?"

Honestly, I was quite upset for a minute here grin

janey1234 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:23:58

Ha, that's hilarious. I'm surprised the old boot in my office that keeps calling me huge hasn't asked me that!!

Saw someone in the canteen I used to go out drinking with today (she works on a different newspaper so don't see her much at work). Depressingly, she was wearing the non-fat/preggo version of the H&M shirt I'm wearing. She was also wearing skinny jeans, heels and looked fab. I, on the other hand, was wearing flats and have my hair in a ponytail as I've given up trying to look nice I felt VERY frumpy and old sad

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 15:41:33

janey but did she have a massive belly to show off? I bet not!

HazleNutt Wed 10-Apr-13 15:52:25

googling again. Got to love the differences between official advice and actual experiences. Look away now if you don't want to hear about the "fun" part of having those babies!

NHS: Before formal induction of labour, you will be offered a vaginal examination with membrane sweep to encourage labour to start. There is a chance you may have some discomfort or bleeding after having a sweep.

Mumsnet:
"Had a sweep today and it was excruciating"
"I found the sweep I had incredibly painful"
"mine was agonising - I had gas an air"
"I was climbing up the bed it was so painful "

"some discomfort" my arse..So how can I take anything else they write seriously?

Littlemissworrier Wed 10-Apr-13 15:52:39

Ahhh Janey bet you look gorgeous.

At what stage did you ladies start to get a little bump? x

This thread is not accepting new messages.