Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept 2013 - kicks, prods and finding out the sex...

(1000 Posts)
LexyMa Sat 30-Mar-13 17:25:53

here we all are... hoping for nice clear 20w. scans, not too much inadvertent weeing and getting that 'glow'...

frogchops Wed 10-Apr-13 12:45:55

I'm all doughed out! During the holidays its all we seem to do at work, so I'm having a well earned dough break until dc is about 13!! grin

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 10-Apr-13 13:07:37

Kittenkatzen I think (might want to google to check) that we're meant to take Vitamin D throughout pregnancy so even if you stop multivitamins you should take vitamin D. I'm still taking my Superdrug multivits.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 10-Apr-13 13:08:54

I googled...

Vitamin D
Vitamin D regulates the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body, these are needed to keep bones and teeth healthy.

You need to take vitamin D during your pregnancy to provide your baby with enough vitamin D for the first few months of its life. You should take a supplement of 10 micrograms of vitamin D each day when you are pregnant and if you breastfeed.

In children, not having enough vitamin D can cause their bones to soften and can lead to rickets (a disease that affects bone development in children).

Vitamin D can be found naturally in oily fish (such as salmon, mackerel and sardines), eggs and meat. Some manufacturers add it to some breakfast cereals, soya products, some dairy products, powdered milk, and fat spreads such as margarine.

The best source of vitamin D is summer sunlight on your skin. The amount of time you need in the sun to make enough vitamin D is different for every person, and depends on things such as skin type, the time of day and the time of year. However, you don't need to sunbathe: the amount of sun you need to make enough vitamin D is less than the amount that causes tanning or burning. If you have dark skin or always cover your skin, you may be at particular risk of vitamin D deficiency. Talk to your midwife or doctor if this applies to you.

flipflump Wed 10-Apr-13 13:09:49

Dietcoke, I fully appreciate where you're coming from. With twins it must double the worry too. Will be such a relief once we all get to meet these little people - I'm sure we'll still be worrying about them though

Wincher Wed 10-Apr-13 13:54:10

I just found i hadn't posted on here for long etough that it had fallen off my threads I'm on!

I haven't bought anything yet, but I have most stuff left over from DS. If we find out thesex at 20 weeks I will probably buy some clothes to suit whichever gender. Mind you I gave away all the neutral newborn stuff when my SIL was working with a refugee who had a baby girl and had no clothes, so even if it's a boy I might want some neutral bits to escape the endless blue and khaki!

fl0b0t Wed 10-Apr-13 14:05:04

Cream Tea I need to know of the weight of the Eagle!!

emmadee Sorry to hear the tiredness has hit- did you have it before? My tiredness on the whole has died down, but I have a few nights of going "oh god, 8pm, bed time" still!

kamikazee although we have told people, a week and a half ago I had exactly that- wen to bed feeling round, woke up with a BUMP!

Pregnancy vitamins- to be honest I've not been very good at taking them. A few bad experience of taking them when I was still very sick and it's put me off them. I am taking some extra vit D though, even though they are stinky as all hell. Vit D usually improves my skin, and seeing as I'm breaking out right now I hope the vit d will help!

I had my 16 week midwife appt today. I think my midwife likes me as I'm so uncomplicated! Bloods came back all great (Rheus negative tho), blood pressure 110/69. I took the husband on the offchance we WOULD hear the baby's heartbeat and we did! It sounded awesome, fast and VERY strong, though the baby kept kicking the heartbeat device and making crazy noises (it clearly didn't appreciate being poked!). Very quick appointment, and I feel confident that all is well. Phew :-)

I am also falling madly in love with my lovely round bump!
(picture here http://www.flickr.com/photos/claredowlingphotography/8604700222/)

It's perfect for stroking and patting (and I rested a biscuit on it earlier). Weeks 5-12 of the pregnancy went so damn slowly whilst I was sick, then suddenly I'm at 17 weeks and scared of it ending! I'm enjoying pregnancy now!

BinarySolo Wed 10-Apr-13 14:07:33

My local council gives free folic acid with vitamin c for pregnant and breast feeding women. We also get supplements for young children.

Still got a horrid cold making me vomit.

RunningBear78 Wed 10-Apr-13 14:53:47

I'm so jelous of all your bumps envy fl0's is super cute! I'm so glad I can feel wriggling though, very reassuring.

I've accidentally bought a moses basket for £2 from the charity shop currently serving as a laundry basket and some cute baby grow's also £2 from a charity shop. We've been given a couple of cute baby presents already, but a la dietcoke, I've packed them up and hidden them just in case. Including this gorgeous thing www.flatout.com.au/koala.htm !!! from an Aussie friend. Shopping post 20/24 weeks I think, just in case.

Oh and was someone talking about lower abdominal pain whilst weeing? Just had that, so strange!?

EmmaDee Wed 10-Apr-13 15:28:24

Fl0bot, I got away with the tiredness for a while. In the early days I was working on site and I think the freezingness and fresh air helped. But now stuck in the office (yuck) I think the air conditioning and ridiculously warm conditions isnt helping my sleepiness!

Gonna hit the vitamin tablets hard, see if that sorts it out!!!

KamikazeeKid Wed 10-Apr-13 16:35:45

Nope not told anyone other than parents! Amazed at my restraint.
Sure people r guessing as ive either become a mega fatty overnight as opposed to usual chubby self....or that im pregnant. Need to wear mat clothes but thats a giveaway!!!

KamikazeeKid Wed 10-Apr-13 16:36:20

Really want to announce and enjoy without worrying about work!

ratbagcatbag Wed 10-Apr-13 16:36:33

Ok copy and pasted from oct thread. If anyone interested please let me know.

Hello lovely ladies, apologies for the gate crash, I'm from the graduated April 2013 group with an early arrival and doing night feeds.
Anyway I posted some of my maternity stuff on the would you like topic, but no one responded, I figured logically, here may be better, I'm happy for it to go to a good home rather than someone tell e they want it, and then sell it. Likely to happen if I free cycle the stuff. Anyway hers the list copied and pasted from other thread. If you want any of it please inbox me. Obviously it's all free, just don't want it or need it now.

Ooh, have my size 18 maternity stuff if anyone interested.
2 x jeans, one over bump, one under, both boot cut style, short leg -new look
2 x bubble hem top, comfy and flattering, one in dark purple, has a tiny hole on the seam, one dusky pink -new look
Lovely jade green going out top, with pull tighter ruching?!?, cowl neck - new look
1 x fitted black jumper with 3/4 sleeves -red herring
1xblack work trousers, short leg. New look again

Let me know if interested, I'm in notts area, may need to pay some towards postage fir jeans as I imagine they won't be cheap.

LexyMa Wed 10-Apr-13 17:40:56

What a lovely offer ratbag!

I have avoided telling people unless they need to know in some way or it's unavoidable. E.g. Most people know at work, told a couple and then just let it be obvious after about 17 weeks and confirmed if asked. Family, friends we went skiing with, and I think DH has told lots of people by email.

What I very deliberately haven't done is Facebook-announce, and I disabled my wall so that once people know they can't write congratulations messages which all my other friends would see (would just undo my caution!!). I just didn't want the me-me-me, I have learned from MN that people can take happy baby news very hard, and I am now glad I did that because last week someone from my first-time-round NCT group put up a post linking to her blog and announced she has lost an IVF baby at 7 weeks. Her first was IVF too, so I can imagine it all feels very last chance saloon for her. Others in the group have all had second babies (and third in one case). This week she has put up another blog post about the egg harvesting and called it 'part 1' so I imagine there will be more and she is using blogging as therapy. So there will be no Facebook references or pictures from me.

Creamtea1 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:30:53

flo it must have been a 2lb'er! I'm still suffering the after effects today!
I love your bump pic, and am a bit reassured as mine is about the same size and shape smile

Fozziebearmum2b Wed 10-Apr-13 18:58:21

Flip flump-Im the same, almost being sick when brushing teeth! I thought It was just me! I don't have any tips Im afraid just that mine has for better since the morning sickness has subsided.. But is still there-it's so annoying..

Kittenkatzen Wed 10-Apr-13 19:05:50

flip I haven't actually vommed whilst brushing teeth but I do gag a lot - weirdly I find that blowing my nose first helps, as does leaning over the sink and spitting regularly. And I bought a maternity tankini from next a week or two ago - have yet to pool test it though smile

badguider I'm envy I want a campervan!

Thanks for the vits tip red, I'll get organised and start taking them again smile

Eeeknumber3 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:06:56

Been to midwife today for 16 week appointment...she tried to persuade me to have a home birth...she said, ahhh look you've had two dead straightforward births, do this one at home! Erm, no thanks...
Heard the hearbeat at 149 bpm, so that was reassuring after the lack of moving...blood pressure taken and that was it, 10 mins max! Back at 28 weeks...

Dorita75 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:28:23

I'd be interested to know if anyone's found a good swimming costume too as I want to do some swimming. Got first preg yoga next Monday, can't wait.

Big news here is I've left my wristbands off since last night and been ok, hurrah! Was still retching with toothbrush until about 10days ago. Think I'm finally nearing 'blooming' phase tho still ready for bed early.

We've not bought anything yet mainly because we've been given so much. Joined cow&gate club and got cute toy cow, baby's first toy!

weebarra Wed 10-Apr-13 19:28:53

Not doing the facebook thing either. Too many friends who have had losses or have problems ttc.
I am so knackered but it's the end of my working week - at least, the end of the bit I get paid for wink .

JammyTummy Wed 10-Apr-13 20:07:23

Oooh Running Bear that looks just like the JL sheepskin teddy I got (for which I am constantly mocked by DH who thinks he is creepy cause he's flat), but I so love it!

flip I found that using a different toothpaste helped. Not necessarily going the whole way down to kiddie paste (but if you're really struggling this may not be a bad idea) but just changing to a different flavour of mintiness/ consistency.

I've been taking pregnacare bits daily since I got pregnant, and got in a really good habit of doing it, so I think I will stick it out! Thinking some extra vitamins can't be bad for me!

Still having cramps sometimes after peeing, although the one I had today was in a different place completely! I used to feel them just above pubic bone (I concluded that it was baby relaxing after being squashed by my bladder for a prolonged period of time) but today it was on top of baby, where I would imagine my stomach to be. Odd.

LexyMa Wed 10-Apr-13 20:07:49

Swimmers: I have a Mamas & Papas halter tankini from first time round which was good. Horizontal navy/white Breton stripes and bright pink knicker trim and tie bits on the halter neck.

Who mentioned maternity tights earlier? A week on Monday I start commuting by tube an hour each way, will probably get a seat on the way in but who knows at home time... I have a load of mama-hosiery om the suitcase that goes around my friends with kids, will see if they make a difference.

Would it be weird to add a label or something to my baby on board tube badge that says "if asleep please wake me for <my station name>"

LexyMa Wed 10-Apr-13 20:09:22

om=from

JammyTummy Wed 10-Apr-13 20:09:36

Ps I am definitely of the 'over prepared' camp- I've even started building up a stock of nappies: a pack every time I do my weekly shop!

RunningBear78 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:39:17

dorita I've been swimming a fair bit but have bought a normal cossie but the next size up, after advice from serious swimmers that maternity ones are good for floating but not good if you want to swim at any sort of pace. Decathlon do reasonably priced cossies, but beware thier cheaper ones are see through! I have a cheapy and wear a bikini underneath it is so see theough!

flipflump Wed 10-Apr-13 22:33:04

Jammy, I've been tempted to nappies too. Decided I must not go that far yet. I'm leaving myself very little to buy/prepare over the next 22 weeks.

Thank you for all the toothbrushing tips, I'll buy a few different toothpastes tomorrow and try them out. Tonight I had a regular spit and swapped from electric to manual and managed to keep my dinner down, things are improving.

ION, am I the only one that hasn't felt any movement?

This thread is not accepting new messages.