Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013: scans and starting to show!

(998 Posts)
Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:08:36

Will this one take us through to the end of the first trimester? Will the sickness ever end? Will we be able to judge genders from those first scan pictures? These and many other mysteries to be solved in... THREAD 4

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 14:38:11

Happy shiny new thread!

I have just heard from the midwife,she won't see me til next Thursday... I will be 11+3 or 4. I feel like I'm never going to get to see someone. She won't book my scan until after the booking appt. I just want to KNOW!!! Am jealous of those with dates sad

moonblues Mon 18-Mar-13 14:39:16

Hi ladies. Just marking my place!
Have been feeling rubbish today, sore head and just wiped out. Hope I feel better tomorrow. I've got so much work to do and absolutely no motivation to it at the moment.
Hope everyone is having good days.
Sorry you're feeling left out pseudobadger. I think with 70+ people posting it's hard to keep track sometimes and this thread sure does move quickly!

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 14:44:49

Sorry you're feeling a bit left out pseudo. I know how you feel but I also know it's not deliberate. It's a busy thread & I know I'm guilty of being wrapped up in my own misery unwellness. I don't do much name checking due to lack of time/posting from phone only/feeling crrrrrap,so I can't really expect it back. Hope you feel happier this thread smile

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 14:56:19

Sorry you're not feeling great, moonblues. My motivation has been poor also, I really need to pick up soon to get things done before mat leave.

Pseudo I know what you mean! I missed out on the weekend's posts, but we're all still here and everyone seems to be pootling along with things smile

Jethro I've been thinking about clothes a lot as I look rubbish in jersey (seemingly ALL maternity wear is made in this!) and need work wear. Seraphina, mamas and pappas and asos look OK, but definitely worth checking out ebay--I've seen some really good things on there so am going to try to just buy 2nd hand. I'm also going to buy a belly band and a trouser extender thingy.

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 15:10:20

I'm wearing a pair of verbaudet maternity jeans today because they make me look slimmer than my normal jeans. I just decided to try them on spur of the moment & glad I did,they are comfy & goooood! Think they are called colline. My maternity stuff from last time came from mamas & papas (jeans - over the bump,v comfy), some red herring maternity tops,black work trousers from next,a huge bag of second hand stuff I was given - much of it from h&m. Hoping it'll fit this time too!

Bowl - any news? I'm about to burst just thinking about my scan tomorrow. Can't concentrate at work, luckily boss is out this afternoon so not doing any work won't get noticed. um.

Been asking around the office for £1 coins and keep saying it's for parking for a hospital appointment tomorrow. They are all men so they are too embarrased to ask what for. So far I have enough to park for a week buy about 50 scans pics

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 15:16:14

tucking I meant to say, I think it's really crap that you're having to wait so long for booking in. I'm really sorry. Hopefully they'll get you in for your scan within a week of the booking in? Off to check out verbaudet jeans now!

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 15:25:29

pseudo I know what you mean, its such a fast moving thread and if you post sometimes in can get lost in a flurry of posts and with all our hormones running high it can feel left out! I'm guilty of not name checking a lot because with the iPad the keyboard takes up most of my screen so its hard to read previous posts at the same time as typing a response!

tucking verbaudet sounds good, off to have a browse! I bought some asos ones and they were brill to begin with and I looked slimmer but now they've gone baggy very quickly. Also the bum band feels weird as its loose around my stomach (although I guess I should enjoy that while it lasts!)

Isabella Oliver stuff looks amazing but so expensive, although quite a bit on eBay. I think I'll check it out if I get invited to any summer events (although I can't leave the country)

When is the latest you can fly by, does anyone know? Will none of us be going on holidays abroad this summer? I will DEFINITELY need to visit the UK to stock up on marmite to pick up all the old baby stuff so will have to drive, SUCH FUN!

I kind of want it to be twins. At the moment I only want 1 DC and DH wants two so it would solve that perfectly!

has anyone else whose already had their booking appointment (and had bloods taken) had the results yet? I went 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I should have asked if I need to ring for them or just assume they are ok if i don;t hear...?

Oh god, sorry to be a massive disappointment 34Pink but it is 12.30 on Thursday! Was replying to a post on previous thread, and clearly I just expect everyone to remember my every post blush. So you are before me - what time is your scan?

Tucking I only have my booking in last Thursday and was 11+4, and was already getting stroppy that my scan would be late, but they offered me an appointment this Thursday when I will be 12+4 - so don't lose hope!

Really can't be arsed at work today. Am so tired, and everyone/thing is annoying me. I am fairly sure this is not pregnancy related, but will use it as an excuse anyway to sit on my arse all evening have a rest later grin

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 15:37:29

Thanks pinksky. It's such a stupid system around here. I wasn't allowed to make an appt with midwife until I was 8 weeks,but the way they work from our village surgery meant that in fact I would be over 9 weeks,then they phoned the day before to say the surgery would be shut for staff training so could I go the next week,that was ok but then DP's granddad died & we will be 500 miles away at his funeral (so really my fault that I won't be able to make this week's appointment) - but I did say I wouldn't go if it would cause issues,but the midwife I spoke to on the phone last week said not to be silly,go to funeral & my midwife would be in touch today to book me in at one of her clinics in a nearby town for before we go away. I ended up phoning again today as hadn't heard & had been hoping against hope she would squeeze me in this afternoon.

After they forgot to refer me for my scan with DS,I'm just really on edge about it this time. I received crap "care" last time,prenatally,in labour & post-natally from midwives (a lovely health visitor saved my sanity when the midwife handed me over),I'm just ready & waiting to start fighting this time,but I want to give the midwife the benefit of the doubt,I just don't trust the local system unfortunately. I realise I sound mental & as though I'm in deepest darkest Peru or similar,not the west of Scotland ;)

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 15:42:57

Ah,thanks Bowlful thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one having to wait SO long! Fingers crossed for a quick scan date. I'll look a right tit if I go for the booking appt & then come away with a scan date for the following week! I might have to retire from the thread after all my ranting!

Still have diarreah (sorry) every few hours,but have managed not to be sick since Saturday night. I didn't feel this dreadful with DS,so I'm thinking perhaps it's a girl... Or twins which would really send me into a spiral of panic!!

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 15:44:59

Blindly you guys pay alot of money for scan pics!!! Ouch lol in my area u get about 5ish photos for a 'donation' xxx

ha ha sorry bowl, told you I can't concentrate today, not even on MN thread! Good luck for Thursday. Mine is at 9.40am tomorrow.

My friend is there now having her 20 week scan where she's finding out the sex. I've been on the edge of my seat all day about my scan. Bet I have a shitty nights sleep. H2B has been saying I've been sleeping like a baby log for weeks. He comes out with some funny stuff.

tucking sorry for your crappy time before, hopefully this time you will be suitably cared for and will kick off if not!

Good luck hayle for your scan tonight (hope I have got that right!) blush

slippysnow Mon 18-Mar-13 15:51:00

Hi everyone. I was just wondering whether anyone has heard their baby's heart beat at the booking appointment. My friend told me sometimes I midwives can listen to the heart beat via Doppler machines.

As some peoples sickness is fading mine has started. I was badly sick last night, I was physically sick through my nose- pretty traumatic felt like I was drowning (clumps and all) then I couldn't shift the smell and the acid burn. Sorry for tmi!
8 weeks today. smile

slippy they didn't do it at mine at 10 weeks but said they will at teh 16 week appointment.

slippysnow Mon 18-Mar-13 16:04:59

Had a feeling they wouldn't. I was getting very excited at the thought of it sad

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 16:07:22

Jethro I don't know what you need for work, but the only place I could find a reasonably priced maternity suit last time was Next (am a solicitor so no option other than a plain suit for court). I've got a few bits I've picked up secondhand and will prob get some jeans after my scan.

I have a consultant appointment tomorrow, I have to keep DS off nursery and drag him along with me, bet it is a 5 minute nothing appointment with junior doc after all that! Still, glad I am being monitored.

No doppler at my booking appointment. I've been told I will get blood results at my scan. I think? Forgetting what they told me already...

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 16:08:38

tucking, it sounds like your care didn't come up to scratch last time, no wonder you're not feeling optimistic about it. I really hope it turns out well and you don't have to fight for anything.

Wow slippy, epic vomit! Hope your nostrils have recovered shock poor you.

Looking forward to hearing all about people's scans

Well good luck 34Pink, make sure to update us! I think I get my blood results at 16 week appointment, but I would imagine they contact you before hand if there is anything of concern.

Tucking I had awful experience last time as well, particularly labour. Broke down in tears at booking in appointment and they were lovely, apologetic and now have a student midwife assigned to me for continuity of care during pregnancy and labour. They also admitted that as I had such an awful experience last time they would take extra care to make sure I was well looked after - so my suggestion is cry!

Oh Slippy that's horrible! Have only vommed through my nose once when very drunk after an Apple Sour shot (disclaimer - this was many moons ago) and it's awful - you really feel like you can't breathe and the smell/taste hangs around forever! Fingers crossed for you it's a one off!

serious just saw your condom thread - not sure I'd feel comfortable with a nurse wielding a dildo cam who can't operate a condom! You are brave grin

legallyblond Mon 18-Mar-13 16:28:33

Marking my place on this one - scan tomorrow afternoon.... Horribly nervous!

doobeedee Mon 18-Mar-13 16:31:33

Hi everyone. I'm 11+3 today and have scan next Mon at 8.30. As for the holiday question, we decided to go at Easter instead of summer as I didn't wang to fly so late do we're off to Tenerife straight after the scan! It's going to be a bit of a rush so really hope scan isn't delayed!

tuckingfits Mon 18-Mar-13 16:34:32

bowl I may have got you confused with someone else (I am pregnant afterall ;)) but are you west Scotland too?

I don't think I'll find it hard to turn on the tears,although if I'm still not well next week I may have no fluid left to waste on actual tears!

Just phoned surgery to check the clinic is actually running next week (paranoid) and yes it is,receptionist confirmed my appt for 2.45. Wonderful except midwife told me 2pm,so had I not called to check I imagine I was supposed to psychically know this. Wouldn't have been the end of the workd obviously but ffs!

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Mar-13 16:35:05

slippy my mw didn't but said she would at 16 wk.

34 yes his evening at 6:30pm.

I have had a fair few maternity bits of eBay and some are brill, brand new or hardly worn. Have got a couple of pairs of jeans however that I don't think will for my bump until its huge!! Think they may be a bit stretched already!

Not been sick now since Thursday and feeling as though things are improving.

Anyone dead convinced of the sex? I'm 99.999999% it's a girl an today it popped into my head its going to be 8lb 1oz.

PseudoBadger Mon 18-Mar-13 16:35:49

Thanks everyone I'm a bit needy! I think I am keeping a low profile with this pregnancy so don't mind really smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now