Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

Gingerpanther27 Thu 14-Mar-13 10:12:12

Hope the dodgy hv accusations turns out to be huff and puff from her ellie
Hope the driving lesson went well scrhro
Are the maxi dresses everyone talking about in regards to wardrobe malfunctions normal or maternity? And just found out if I move in with my partner I don't get any money - I'm classed as disabled therefore unable to work, I don't have a house currently as I've been homeless since last summer and because my partner works they'd stop most of my money yet if I was to stay on my own with no support I'd be entitled to more than what a lot of people work there arses off for angry - has anyone been in a situation where they don't work and partner does or vice versa and how did it work financially?

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 10:18:04

Hmm, Ginger - its a difficult one. On my Feb 09 thread there was a mother classed as disabled pregnant with her second child - she was on her own with her DC1 (despite having a steady partner) precisely because of the benefits situation as her partner worked - and stayed on her own and in her own place after having DC2 and DC3 until they got married this year.

Maxi dresses - if you have a small bump and stretchy material you'll get away with normal ones. If you have a humungo bump prob best to have a look at maternity ones.

VinegarDrinker Thu 14-Mar-13 10:19:53

DS is just 2, will be 2y4m when this one arrives ... Didn't sleep through til 15months so sleep still feels rather fragile and precious! His cot can actually have the sides turned off to turn into a cot bed, and was only £40 from Ikea, so leaving him be and buying a second cheap cot to use as a bedside cot for this one wouldn't be the end of the world.

Also thinking vaguely about potty training DS but I think that's best left for after baby arriving.

I have a very rare day to myself today - I am working a nightshift tonight, sent DS to nursery to try and keep his routine going. I'll probably pick him up a bit early but still have hours to myself! Feels like such a luxury, I can't remember the last time it happened! Studiously ignoring all the housework and running myself a nice hot bath currently.

photographerlady Thu 14-Mar-13 10:41:57

I think my LO wants to remind me every five minutes how much she hates underbump jeans. I am being kicked in the bladder constantly this morning. grin

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 11:39:33

Enjoy your day of peace and quiet Vinegar!

Hope you're having a relaxing day, vinegar. DD will be 2y5m when this one arrives. Wondering if we should make an attempt to potty train before July. Might just give it one go in late May/early June and see what happens..... She's currently in a cot bed and I'm not sure what our plan will be. She was a disasterous sleeper for the first 18months, but is quite good these days in her own bed. We have a crib for the first few months anyway.

bigbelly4 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:31:12

re maxi dresses - I have just bought one from Fat Face (non maternity) and just bought a size up from my usual, although normal size fitted now, my boobs are seemingly getting bigger by the day!

Also started to get a few baby bits in now, including baby grows and vests - so cute! I really had forgotten how small they are. I'm now hoping that this baby is similar size to previous three (all weighed the same at 6lb 14) - otherwise the poor thing will be cramed in to small baby size! I'll probably have a whopper now wink

Had a bit of a crap day yesterday, decided to muck out the nursery (bit of a dumping ground ATM) and my back was killing me by evening. DH was out till late at a meeting and youngest gremlin was being a bit of a brat and to top it off I needed strawberry laces. When i went to get my handbag this morning DH had popped into tesco at 11pm to pick me up the laces smile

anyhoo, bye for now

23+1

Thinkingof4 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:54:25

grin @ strawberry laced bigbelly

All this talk of cots has got ms thinking what to do with ds3. He'll be 25months when baby arrives and has only been sleeping through since about 20months. He is a great sleeper now and also has a good nap every afternoon which gives me a little time to myself so I really don't want him to stop that.
However I have always put Moses basket inside cot iyswim to prevent overenthusiastic brothers tipping baby out onto floor!!
So I am thinking I will put ds3 into toddler bed in June when I go on mat leave and hope for the best!

Have a lovely day today vinegar

Ellie I really hope things are getting sorted out with the boys, very stressful sad
photographer my under bump jeans are starting to get uncomfy at times too, not looking forward to changing to over bump ones as they never stay up!

esme80 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:58:47

Reg moving toddlers from cotbeds, mine will be 2 when baby is born, is that too early to be moving him to his own bed? He is a very good sleeper, has slept through the night since he was about three months... Would prefer to not buy another cot, but could get cheap one from ikea wouldnt be the end of the world...

Also, to those who have dcs older than mine, is there some development thing that happens at around 20 months that turn them into Monsters? My lovely, sweet, independant ds has been clingy, angry and pretty much screamed for a week straight! Nothing wrong with him at all, no cold/fever/teething...

photographerlady Thu 14-Mar-13 14:01:17

yeah under and over bump do not work for me.

I decided to sew buttons and loops into my tights and leggings and clip them to my bra... I know that sounds funny looking but I only have ten minutes to run to my station to get the train home, if I dont button or hold my tights up then they are around my ankles. Underbump jeans are so uncomfortable and slip down. I am so ready to burn these I only wear jeans once a week.

As far as shopping goes I went a bit mad. I would say me and my mother (who lives stateside but figured out how to purchase things from john lewis and mothercare. In the past week I bought 2 carseats - one infant, one 20lbs to 40lbs, moses basket, stand, play gym (which I LOVE, from JL has cute little owls on it), breast pump, about 5 outfits, more reusable nappies, baby bath.... all I need now is bed linen for the cot and think I am done. My poor wallet hurts.

ThinkingOf My DS has been in his own bed since 11 months, he hated the cotbed and is a dream most of the time in the bed.

He has fallen out twice since he was put in it but he's a climber so I suspect it would be worse if he was climbing the rails of a cot!

Will try and catch up on the rest of the thread now. smile

Sorry just realised that message was meant for Esme!

Btw, my 17mo has been a bit of a nightmare for the past few weeks, sleeping is all messed up and he screams in anyone leaves the room. I think it's normal at this stage.

Photographer When pg with DS I got a hair bobble and looped it through the button hole of my jeans and on to the button, you can make it as tight as you need it with it still being stretchy, worked great and they stayed up.

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 14:30:10

Wow - you have been shopping lots Photographer.H&M Mama knitted tights stay up - even when running! They are now top of my tightwatch poll.

Esme - I think your DS is just becoming less of a toddler and more of a preschooler. DS1 was (and still is) a mellow little fellow - DS2 was (and still is) much more excitable. I found between the age of 1 and 3 hardest with him - at 3 he was so much easier to deal with (while all my friends were going through the terrible threes with their kids, I'd just had it earlier!).
Keep telling yourself its just a phase and will pass!

Totally, Vinegar - you know your little ones best. I delayed potty training with DS1 till after DS2 arrived - we cracked it within 4 days just before his third birthday. We had a potty around for a while before and incentivised him to sit on it to get used to it - but no real pressure. I'd been warned by other friends that their kids regressed massively when new siblings came on the scene so decided to delay it till he'd got used to the new arrival.

Thinkingof4 Thu 14-Mar-13 14:40:41

laces even!

notprincesskate Thu 14-Mar-13 16:36:26

Hello all finally just catching up, would like to be organised enough to write notes to reply to everyone but I'm not sorry!.
We're off on our on our last pre (new) baby holiday to Scotland at the end of the month, sadly I'm pretty sure it will be gloves and scarves weather, rather than maxi dresses, but at least I can hide my ever expanding belly under many layers!
I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today after our second consultant appt yesterday, uterine dopplers were done and once again the resistance was high, they have now given me a 80% chance of getting pre-eclapsia again sad baby seems to be growing well at the mo which is a bonus, although tummy off the scale so they are also questioning gestational diabetes, more likely to be the complete disregard for not eating for 2 I seem to have acquired I think, they weighed me and my weight gain is close to 12kg shock already, so today have largely gone back to my WW plan in the hope this can slow it down. As my pet started at at 28weeks last time, he seemed to suggest that I wouldn't get to full term this time either, and any plan for a vbac would probably be out of the window.
I'm trying to figure out now when to finish work, as was planning on using 4 weeks AL pre mat leave starting at 38 weeks, but wondering if I should just bring it forward and try to use AL afterwards, BUT of course I do have a 20% of not getting it so don't really want to be using time up that I could have with the baby if it doesn't happen- although I did feel that although he didn't actually say the chance of not getting was actually much smaller than 20% but he was hedging his bets a little. On the upside I will get a scan every 4 weeks, and be monitored very carefully from now on, and I do feel blessed to be monitored so carefully, I couldn't fault the care last time.
Sorry for going on, just needed to have a bit of a winge and get it off my chest.
Almost 24 weeks whoop whoop.

photographerlady Thu 14-Mar-13 17:17:50

notprincess sorry to hear you have so much going on regards to health. It sounds like they are looking after you though (hugs).

Marking place, will come back to catch up! 22+2

Supershiv1 Thu 14-Mar-13 18:26:29

Marking place and strawberry laces are in my pregnancy treat stash too!

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 18:41:57

Notprincesskate - it sounds like they are taking good care of you and your baby and will be monitoring you both closely, which can only be a good thing. When do you need to make a final decision on mat leave? Presumably you - and the medics caring for you - will have a better idea as to whether you are showing pre-eclamptic tendencies at your next appt.

BadMissM Thu 14-Mar-13 18:52:05

Hello everyone, haven't been AWOL, just fighting the National Grid for the last week...digging up and buggering up our house with no warning...GRRRR!

I was so hoping to have a holiday before LO arrives, but as still don't know what's happening with Tribunal (and would need money from that to pay for it), stuck here. Could just do with some warmth....

Actually spoke to my mother, who admitted my Dad had heard, and told her about the pregnancy. She wasn't a complete bitch about it, or too unpleasant, which is the best I could hope for. No sign of her wanting to come up, or help, though....

bigbelly4 Thu 14-Mar-13 19:11:31

Well I am 3 packs of strawberry laces down and very nice they were too! Although I think I may have OD'd on them because I cant face any more!

My MW phoned me in a panic this afternoon just to check if we have sheep on our farm, when I said yes, but not to worry as I dont go anywhere near them, you could hear her relax! Obviously she was reviewing me for some reason and had panicked that she hadnt told me about toxiplasmosis - she had! Plus on no 4. I kinda know what im doing, bless her!

Bad, sounds like things are not as bad as they have been so fingers crossed you can salvage some sort of "relTionship"! Not the same but when I told my mum I was pregnant with no 3 she said "oh my god, you F**king stupid girl" - admittedly, I did end up with 3 under 3 and she did apologise profusely. So I was dreading telling her about number 4 - imagine my suprise when she burst in to tears as she was happy!

bigbelly what a lovely response from your mum!

I'm now craving strawberry laces too, although it would never have occurred to me without this thread. I'm so suggestible! Obviously we don't have any (why would we?) so I'll have to make do with jelly for now.

I'm still getting terrible evening munchies. Am I the only one who can't stop eating between dinner and bedtime?

bigbelly4 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:02:18

Totally, sorry about the laces craving! If its any help tonights craving is tomatos! Slightly random but there we go, welcome to my world!

Yes my mums reaction was a bit unexpected on both counts!

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 20:19:27

Glad your mum was more reasonable than you thought she would be BadmissM.

Sounds like you are in danger of turning into a strawberry lace Big belly!

notprincesskate Thu 14-Mar-13 21:10:27

dinky I have to let them know by 25 weeks, so next weds is my last day as we're off on holiday after that. I'm going o try and meet my boss tomorrow and ask her thoughts, realistically I may just have to stick to my original plan and change as and when things manifest themselves.
Does anyone know when NHS mat leave is enforced if you are off sick?

This thread is not accepting new messages.