Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

Lorelei353 Thu 31-Jan-13 11:31:15

Me too pear. I missed my yoga class last night because I went to that gig but I could really have done with it!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 31-Jan-13 12:17:03

Genetics have agreed to test the cord blood. smile

in other less happy news dds life sucks. sad sad sad I don't know what to do to make it better for her. I'm a hormonal mess. sad

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 31-Jan-13 16:24:56

<Ppfffttt> [hormonal emoticon]

Jojobump1986 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:15:12

What's this about the cord blood? Sorry things are bad for your DD at the moment! I'd like to have a helpful suggestion... but I don't! sad Have an un-MN-y <hug> instead!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 31-Jan-13 17:25:10

Hug gratefully recieved.

Cord blood test for a genetic condition. Cord contains mums blood and babys blood, taking sample of cord blood is less stressful for all involved if cord blood is taken rather than stabbing small child repeatedly and tramatising them to get blood sample. And genetics agreed smile and agreed to the test.

Jojobump1986 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:29:54

Oh that's good then! I remember DS having various heel pricks after he was born. The first time the doctor took him away to do it & came back asking if we'd heard him cry at all - apparently all babies should cry when you poke a hole in them & DS barely looked concerned! He screamed & bled for ages after the next one though - different doctor who left a scar there for at least 2 weeks! The first one healed after a day or 2! confused

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 31-Jan-13 17:39:17

I can handle the heal prick tests. itss the needle in the arm to take a syringe full that I can't handle, especially when the idiot taking the blood from hysterically screaming dd2 tries the back of both hands repeatedly before being told by a passing doctor that for the amount of blood that was needed they should have gone for straight for the inner elbow, and doctor promptly takes the required amount in less than a minute

Jojobump1986 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:43:34

sad Poor DD! I remember many years of watching my parents pin my sister down so various doctors could take her blood to check her under-developed kidney tissue was functioning. Not a fun experience for anyone involved! Must be even worse when it's your own child & they're so tiny!

Jojobump1986 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:45:26

(And the doctors are incompetent... My DSis still loves to tell the story of the doctor who somehow managed to get her blood all over themselves & half the room! She didn't find it amusing at the time because it meant another needle!)

Ahhh frus sorry your feeling blue and dd is having a hard time < hugs> has anything happened or are you just feeling it more then usual today? X

Ugh, that was the worst part of the midwifery job, having to jab babies! Cord blood retrieval is so much easier.

Sorry you're not having a good day, Frus!

Jojobump1986 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:18:00

I'm lactating again! Didn't do it last time until a week or 2 before EDD but it's seemed to come & go since about 10 weeks this time! confused It's now very yellow. Previously it was white-ish but it's so yellow I was worried it was pus for a minute! No pain other than the usual let-down tingle though so I'm sure it's just colostrum. I'm suddenly getting the urge to borrow a baby to bf - I'm not uncomfortable but it would feel sort of relieving! 15 weeks & counting before I start trying to encourage the baby out! I'd happily have him now but I suppose it's sensible to wait until 37 weeks! <Sulk> wink

I keep forgetting to ask but has anyone been given their mat1b firm? I'm sure I got it at the 20wk scan last time but didn't this time and not got mw app till28wks, should I have had it??

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Fri 01-Feb-13 20:52:33

I got mine kitty. But I was told by midwife to make an appointment for after the scan to get it. Isn't 28weeks to late to hand into employer?

Awesome news, Jo! You are definitely getting ready for this new babe. I've started leaking again too (oh joy) so things are definitely gearing up for me too.

Suddenly feeling huge. Like, the kind where I can't fully bend over anymore, starting to feel really full when eating, or can't use the abdominals to get up off the couch or out of bed. <sigh> It feels too soon for this part of the pregnancy already!

Jojobump1986 Sat 02-Feb-13 15:35:58

It's a shame the Six Nations are on now instead of in a few months time. All this jumping around & shrieking like a banshee must be enough to encourage labour along! My belly does feel a bit odd...! grin blush

I think I scared my DH the first time he saw me during a rugby match - I'm normally quite a composed/quiet person & yet when the rugby starts I sit about 2" from the screen & squeak most of the time & scream/shout when it gets exciting. It's all I can do to stop myself actually swearing sometimes! blush DH has taken DS out while I watch today!

Bring, I agree, somehow it simultaneously feels like it's moving along far too quickly but also like it should be almost over because of all the symptoms that make me feel further along than I am! confused

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 03-Feb-13 18:11:30

Evening all. How is everyone today?

Jojobump1986 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:31:58

I'm doing well today - belly's calmed down after feeling weird all day yesterday. I didn't watch the rugby today!

How are you doing Frus?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 04-Feb-13 08:44:39

Pregnancy wise I'm doing good, thank you jojo except for the sleeping, and the pillows aren't helping.

Jojobump1986 Mon 04-Feb-13 09:01:15

I finally got to sleep at 4am. I'm exhausted! Absolutely no reason for it, I just couldn't quite switch off! sad How's your DD?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 04-Feb-13 15:49:02

She's feeling better but her sleep is still out.

Hi ladies! Hope everyone had a good wkend, I did but still fighting off tail end if this cold and we thought dd had it plus ear infection, she seemed better after starting antibiotics however she's woken today with spots like chicken pox! Has anyone experience with them? Would she not still be feeling ill if it was the pox? She seems ok in herself but they certainly look like them?? I've had it before but as a child, if it is the pox will I need to see a gp? What would you do??

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 04-Feb-13 22:20:40

IME, pox will spread before they feel yuck, although starts with cold-like symptoms. (Could it possibly be a viral rash relating to cold?)

No need for doctors in the early days, unless you want to be sure of diagnosis, but i wouldnt go straight away as our GP struggled to diagnose until a good few days in, when you can see all the stages. Make sure she keeps drinking, and see doctor if they get infected or inside her mouth.
My dd got them really bad (even her pox had pox) and got hospitalised, pickled inside and out and refusing fluids and meds other dd only had about 20!
Virasoothe is amazing stuff.

Not sure it definatly is frus but its comming on quickly, more spots this morning and the little ones last night have become blistery, she was unwell last week cold symptoms, temp lathargic and we thought ear infection but has been fine for the last 4days Untill spots have appeared!
I don't think I'll bother with gp as she seems fine, is that cream something I can but over the counter?

Librarina Tue 05-Feb-13 08:30:19

Hi, sorry I've been absent, been very grumpy about having a cold and DH has been working away so I've been spending evenings at my Mums house where she's been feeding me lots of yummy Mum Food.

Pox doesn't sound fun Frus, I went to the aquarium with my friend's post-poxy baby and she looked so forlorn with the little scabs on her head! Still, she cheered up when we saw the sharks!

Everything's fine here. Bump wriggles and jiggles so much that I almost don't like it. Can see from the outside, looks alien. Baby does seem to insist on kicking my bladder and that hurts rather.

Anyway, better get out and try and dig my car out of the snow, drive carefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now