Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

May 2013- boys , girls or the unknown? Over half way there!

(994 Posts)
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:55:09

Hi all, new had for may 2013!

MaybeAMayBaby Wed 09-Jan-13 21:52:25

OMG! Very envy.
I'm going to have to keep the last 3 months pay a secret from DH for a bit. Might have to quietly put some a way.
But I've just ordered a new kitchen blush and was planing on a few other home improvements. It's a good job my DH's business is going well.
Anyone else got a DH who is self employed? He teaches in day at school then works in evenings. I've got a feeling he won't be able to take those evenings off around patenity leave. Bit anxious already.

ng1412 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:53:50

I am a SAHM Seven. My DD is 20 months old. Feels like ages since I worked, was a lawyer before, slight career change!

I am having the amnio purely because of my age, I am 43. My nuchal measurements were all ok but that doesn't put me in the clear of course hence the test. Petrified.....

milkandribena Wed 09-Jan-13 22:11:38

wow I feel very out of the loop - Christmas, new year, family drama all got far to big and consuming. I shall go back and read up on whats been happening with you all. But hope we are okay

milkandribena Wed 09-Jan-13 22:48:21

congrats on all of you who know what you're having. We are firmly in the surprise category. BF (for that is what he is now eeek) made us not find out (and he's just about managed to convince me of it)

So odd to be buying stuff now and do we need to buy 2 of most things and things like that? a mindfield

One of my brothers is moving in this weekend. Not sure how long for sort of worried that it'll be indefinite and he'll be here when baby and me and BF are finding our feet. but he's my brother and that is what you do, He needs me so I'll be there for as long as, however inconvenient the timing is.

maybe oh I do love a bit of home improvement especially kitchens and bathrooms. I have a thing for DIY though i've had a number of mishaps

Ellypoo Wed 09-Jan-13 22:52:15

My DH is self employed Maybe - he won't get any paternity leave/pay or anything, but I think what he'll try to do is plan several days or half days off over the first few wks or months and spread it out a bit, because my DMum and DSis will also be around to help.

Hi Milk, hope all is well with you, bump & half man!!

cuppateaandagingersnap Wed 09-Jan-13 23:28:32

Hi milk so happy things working out for you and your BF, I think it's a really nice thing to take your brother in in his hour of need, hope he gets himself sorted and out from under your feet before LO arrives but if not I guess you'll have an extra pair of hands to help out with housework and shopping etc - I'm sure he's not at all like what my bro was like before he settled down and had a kid himself - his idea of housework was to sit down and tidy up a whole box of coco pops and every drop of milk in the house grin changed days now that he's got a LO of his own smile

scooby26 Wed 09-Jan-13 23:29:43

Evening,

Beaver... Yay for mortgage! Sorry to hear the crap about money. Don't believe the hype re CCTV at cash points though- sadly they are not present at every one ( lots in fact ) so please don't blame the police if there isn't any- the cheapskate bank may have wanted to save dosh ;-)

Depending on the circs the bank may still be obliged to refund you- if they claim not you should run the exact circs past the financial ombudsman who are very helpful and it's just a phone call and they will tell you the obligations. Don't bea ourself up too much- these gangs are professionals.

My allowance is 18 weeks full pay then smp for the rest of the 39- I had hoped for a year off but won't be able to afford quite that so likely be off from late April as. Have to take m 2013 leave beforehand so actual maternity will kick in 19 may til hopefully feb 2014. Ten months off in total. In my defence I work work full time shifts so wall difficult to go back with weeny ones.

berri Thu 10-Jan-13 02:28:22

milk nice to see you, have been wondering how you & man are!

Seven I'm a sahm - same as you have been since DS arrived in 2008 - they must be around the same age?

It's totally different being pregnant while not at work - although it definitely went more quickly last time, I was just knackered all the time so I really feel for those doing long hours & crazy shifts. I remember fainting on the tube once, no chance of that this time seeing as I'm pretty much glued to the sofa grin

24+0

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 10-Jan-13 07:43:56

berri DS was 4 in June, I also have a crazy non-stop 13mo DD so I'm still exhausted though! How is your tear now btw?

milk good to see you and hear that non-man is now BF.

maybe when is your kitchen arriving? We're getting our garage converted into a bigger kitchen this year, so we have choosing a new kitchen to look forward to. Unfortunately our budget doesn't stretch as far as getting it fitted so DH will be doing it himself.

Off to take DD to a new playgroup this morning, have a good day everyone!

GeordieCherry Thu 10-Jan-13 08:58:55

I'm taking 12 months ML. 9 months paid at SMP, apart from first 6 weeks at 90% salary
It's a bit rubbish but we are mortgage free so manageable

Emotional? Ohhhhh hell yes. Caught sight of our scan pic on the bookshelf last night & welled up! And I'm very very grouchy hmm

I'm thinking of working til the early May bank hol...but I've got an hour commute... Argh! There's a project I want to get finished which ends then. Still undecided but need to tell work soon!
I might use my holidays & do part time for the last bit

Saw my friend yesterday who was the same pg as me but had a MC at about 9 weeks. Feel very very lucky all's ok with us & they're going to try again next month. Keeping everything crossed for her

Have a good day everyone x

10storeylovesong Thu 10-Jan-13 10:06:57

beaver just to echo what Scooby said really, these gangs are so quick at what they do. It's hard but please don't beat yourself up about it as you're not the first and it certainly doesn't make you daft.

milk how exciting about half man becoming bf - sounds like you're both handling the situation so well and hopefully it's the start of something beautiful.

My mat leave is the same as scooby's - I've put in my request to finish on 19th April which is 37 weeks but the way I'm feeling at the minute I may have to add some leave to the beginning of that as I'm knackered all the time and struggling with the commute.

I'm still bleeding constantly but it's small quantity and brown and the hospital have said to ring if it becomes bright red, increases in quantity or there's pain - so at the moment we're still in limbo waiting for scan.

And yes to feeling emotional. I've bought the Maggie Howells hypnobirthing set to try and help me relax and part of it tells you to put hand on stomach to connect with baby and tell him your hopes and dreams for the future - all I could think of was that I hope he arrives safely and dh went mad when caught me with tears rolling down my cheek.

23+1

jojo020780 Thu 10-Jan-13 11:11:43

Hi ladies can I join May club too please- I'm due end of April/beg of May. New to mumsnet so not sure how this works and where to find everyone xx

Picklep Thu 10-Jan-13 12:34:27

oh help; got myself in a bit of a pickle (by name and nature!)...

Have been feeling the baby most days particularly at night, however, in the last couple of days the movements have slowed right down but also changed i think! I don't really know what I am feeling anymore. It feel like large bubbles popping and I am feeling occasional pressure down below, but I couldn't say that it felt like kicks, so I am worried if these are just body sensations and not baby. I have been in tears for most of the morning, mostly because I feel so confused and a bit bloody useless that I can not tell the difference between my baby and just bodily feelings. I called the mw and she just panicked me more and has booked me in for a scan this lunchtime, she kept saying , 'if your not feeling baby move and haven't for a couple of days it's best we check them' But I was trying to explain that I don't know what I am feeling, there are feelings, but very different and not as often.

I definitely do not feel the butterfly feelings I was feeling before. Has anyone noticed a change in movements? is that normal? I am too scared to google.

Pickle It will be good for you to get reassurance from the scan as words won't help.However, I don't believe you will have anything to worry about.

I felt baby move loads over Christmas wouldn't say kicking as such probably is kicking but he is to small for me to get that yet is more swishing feelings in tummy. Since Ive been ill Ive hardly felt a thing but I didn't last time I was ill.I presume it's due to all the coughing as I should be quite in tune with it being my 3rd.

They move position a lot.I mean at 17 weeks my placenta was low and I was feeling movement high,by 20 weeks placenta high up and I felt lots of movement low down.Now I just have bump ache from coughing.

lollypopsicle Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:49

Don't panic pickle you have fine the right thing by ringing midwife and very soon you will have your scan.
I would say movements do change over time from that 'flutter' to more 'squirming' and obvious kicking. Big hug, good luck for the scan x

10storeylovesong Thu 10-Jan-13 13:05:28

pickle you've done the right thing to call your me for reassurance. My kicks feel like large bubbles popping so it sounds like you'll be ok - but no point sitting worrying if you can get help to mind your mind at ease earlier. When's your scan?

FrustratedSycamoreIsNesting Thu 10-Jan-13 13:41:44

Hello ladies. Add another boy to the may list. grin

Wirrawoo Thu 10-Jan-13 13:44:58

Try not to worry pickle I think the bubs shift position a lot at this stage so some days feel weaker than others. Good on you for having a scan, much better to be reassured.

So tempted to move to a more parent-friendly country after reading some of your posts smile my hubby-to-be (don't know the MN abbrev for that!) and I are both self-employed classical musicians so it's attempts to save and measly SMP for me (and no paternity leave for him). SMP barely covers my half of the rent let alone anything else so I will have to start working again from 6-8 weeks after the birth sad gutted, I really don't want to, would like 3 full months off at least. A plus for us is that we can choose our hours so I can take on more teaching and do from home (saving on childcare), and both of us can hopefully wangle the work we do to be as part-time or full-time as we can handle. My mum is also around to come with me and look after bubs so I can keep breast feeding in the breaks. Eek! A lot of my colleagues do this though and there is a lot of comraderie surrounding it, people will be understanding. Am trying to organise higher paid chunks of work so I can earn more in less hours. Fingers crossed! Was livid at recent news about cuts to maternity pay. I still can't believe there is no state paternity leave. Poor dads.
Anyway, essentially I will be part time for a year probably by virtue of taking on less work so times will be tight. Not so many lattes in my future!

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 10-Jan-13 15:16:49

Congrats on your boy frustrated.

Hi jojo, there's a May stats thread in ante-natal if you want to add yourself onto the list smile

pickle hope the scan went ok. I'm on DC3 and its only the last couple of days I've felt proper kicks, I'd been worried a couple of weeks ago as I was hardly feeling anything. Chances are baby has just moved position, though it sounds to me that it is still the baby you're feeling.

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 10-Jan-13 15:18:49

wirra I'm in awe at you both being classical musicians, I'm the least musical person ever, what do you play? Are you hoping LO will grow up to be musical?

AuntyDiluvian Thu 10-Jan-13 15:59:35

Hi everyone - I was on this thread way back in August/Sept and then drifted off Mumsnet for a while so am just marking my place and re-introducing myself! Everything's been going well and I have a boy on board, though haven't told people in real life that yet. Will now get on with catching up with some of the posts on the new thread...

Boodstress Thu 10-Jan-13 16:17:51

Hi joJo and Aunty. I follow most days but don't post so much. I'm listening though as I know it sometimes feels like your talking to yourself .. Which I have been known to do as well grin
pickle hope the scan helps you feel reassured. I haven't felt much movement last few days and I could see the movement from the outside before. I fell over the bins putting them out the other night (another chore I can now get out of) and bruised my breastbone so gave me a fright. I have had movement,since but less. I know the baby is in a new position though as the movement is very low and far in if you know what I mean. Im sure all is fine.
I'm suddenly feeling v pregnant and very hormonal - is that the end of the nice but? 23+6 today confused

Boodstress Thu 10-Jan-13 16:18:59

bit

shelly81 Thu 10-Jan-13 17:51:16

pickle I've not felt a lot this last few days and am hoping she has just moved place a little :-) keep positive xx

Rhienne Thu 10-Jan-13 18:42:14

Pickle, my "movements" feel different all the time. i think it depends on how the baby is sitting/lying.

Really hope all went well withh the scan...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now