Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

Cheeseandbread Mon 21-Jan-13 22:24:07

Good not God... Time for sleep I think

SlouchingPanda Mon 21-Jan-13 23:04:20

Thanks all for the bellybutton advice. Sounds like I have 20 weeks to get my head round this life changing event. Surely childbirth and adjusting to life with a new born will be a doddle compared with the trauma of having an outie.

In other news my hair looks all thick and glossy tonight... could I be approaching the <stage whisper> glowing phase?! Nipples still itchy though, so maybe not wink.

VinegarDrinker Mon 21-Jan-13 23:24:15

I think I skipped glowing this time round. Gone straight from 1st tri nausea/exhaustion into heartburn and SPD. Yay.

photographerlady Tue 22-Jan-13 05:52:02

Morning all...helps! Two days now with a stuffed up nose and sore throat. I am up all night trying to breathe its awful. Any tips on what I can do to ease this cold? I figured albas oil was a no no.

Haven't read through thread, but photographer apparently eucalyptus oil is alright to use.

Note: my pregnancy book suggests eucalyptus oil but some websites say not to use it ...? Maybe check with gp or midwife.

Calmisthemantra Tue 22-Jan-13 08:28:45

Urghhhh me too photographerlady do full of a cold. Didn't get any sleep last night, even after trying to sleep propped/sat upsad

I loved my NCT classes - I mainly did it for the friends as I didn't know anyone with young kids or babies and I was the 1st in my family. I found the classes good and informative which made things a lot less scary. My group are a great bunch of people - we met up a lot when still
Pregnant for lunch/tea& cake and met up at least once a week up until the babies were about 8/9 months. We would go out for day trips or go round each others houses for lunch. Each week was someone else's house and we'd all bring a dish - and then sit around all afternoon stuffing our faces grin We still meet up once a week for those that can and they really have been the most amazing support as we're all going through the same thing at the same time. It can really depend in your leader and the group dynamic though. I do feel a bit sad that I can't really do NCT again with this one

I have also met lots of friends through playground, baby swimming etc etc

16+5 and desperate to feel kicks

AmaDablam Tue 22-Jan-13 09:22:57

Thanks for the advice on back pain ladies. I must confess I have an exercise ball that has sat in the garage for the past two years with no use. Now is the time to bring it into action methinks! I will also check out the suggestions for yoga and pilates dvd's.

grannyapple I did wonder about sciatica as well after doing a little research on the internet, as my pain started travelling down as far as the back of my thigh last night. However, the article I read said it is actually quite rare to get true sciatica and you tend to feel it all the way down your leg, even below the knee. That said, if your SIL is a midwife she probably knows a lot more than Dr Google so seems like a good idea for both of us to get it checked out as a possibility.

DH puts my aches and pains down to the fact I have been working at home a lot recently which sees me slouched on the sofa for hours on end or perched on one of our cheapy Ikea dining chairs which have no lower back support. Not good I know - he could well be right. Speaking of which I am now guess where -slouched on the sofa - bad Ama!

Have a good day all and take care on the ice. I cannot even get the car off the drive this morning, despite my good intentions to go into work for a bit.

14+2

paolocee Tue 22-Jan-13 09:40:43

Re: back pain, I've found one set of massages that have really helped Donna's lower back pain. Well supported and padded by pillows/cushions etc, she kneels down on the bed and then leans forward, exposing her back fully. A little application of baby oil and around thirty minutes of firm, circular massaging at the base of her back usually does the trick.

Until the next night of course....wink

flyingsprocket Tue 22-Jan-13 09:46:16

paolo I'm going to show your post to my OH!

Loving the chatter about belly buttons. Vital stuff, I still don't have a bump but my abdomen is definitely firmer & slightly rounder. My belly button looks squashed & wider already.

I'm hoping to sign up for NCT classes. We're between 2 towns & not sure where to do them. DP works shifts so I'll mostly likely be alone for a few of them- has anyone else done them on their own? Do you see people there without partners?

Off out here in France or a walk whilst everyone else is hitting the slopes sad

hello all, i haven't managed to read all posts. i am a little worried but probably over worrying-i've been feeling the baby kicking for 2 weeks -vv small movements, but i don't think i've felt anything at all for at least 24 hours. don't know whether this is normal and i can't remember from prev dc's. dh is away all week and busy with work and dc's so don't want to have to go to dr's for nothing-not sure they could do anything. feeling tired and tearful and my patient is arriving in 15 minutes-aargh.
any ideas anyone?
week 16

AmaDablam Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:18

Sounds heavenly Paulo, will have to run that one by DH!

paolocee Tue 22-Jan-13 09:49:14

flyingsprocket - sorry, I meant 'seconds' not 'minutes'. (OK, Mr Sprocket?).
grin

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 22-Jan-13 09:50:10

Haven't got time to reply to everyone personally as I have a stroppy toddler today. Thank god for cbeebies. Ha more heavy snow overnight so
Snowed in again.sad

I'm in monmouthshire - can't remember who asked. Anyone nearby?

If its sciatica you need a physio referral. I had SPD last time round and found swimming and bouncing on a birthing ball very helpful.

Is anyone else starving at the moment? I never feel full! I'm trying so hard not to keep shovelling food in but it's so hard.

Right, I should go and start digging us out.

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 22-Jan-13 09:51:40

Oh any my belly button went pop at around 28 weeks. Didn't hurt but DH was fascinated by it. Went back in quite quickly.

AmaDablam Tue 22-Jan-13 09:53:14

Ah princess, sorry to hear you're worrying. I can't really offer much advice as this is my first baby and I haven't felt anything yet. The only thing I can recall from reading though is that you should worry when they stop moving for any length of time once you're in your 3rd trimester. Not sure about this early on. Does your MW have a number you can call just to get some reassurance without having to make the trip to the GP?

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 22-Jan-13 10:02:10

princess I think it's later on you need to worry. Baby is very small so a small change in position may mean you can't feel the movements now. Maybe call the midwife?

thank you v sane advice tom daleys trunks and thank you both for sympathy ama and t d's trunks. i'm feeling less pathetic now have seen patient and felt tiniest of tiny kicks whilst typing this. am going to have a fast nap before school pick up and ring mw on way to school just to reassure but sounds v likely that it's because the baby's moved a bit.

esme80 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:42:05

Ama I was given my dvd from sil, so no idea about price but is called BuddhaBellies - Yoga for pregnancy. Also second swimming, helps me with spd and back.

Princess I read that with these early movements you can feel lots and then nothing for a while, as baby moves to a different position. Dont think its anything to worry about.

dinkystinky Tue 22-Jan-13 11:02:13

Photographerlady - try snufflebabe balm (like Vicks but for babies/toddlers from 3 months onwards). That and lots of steamy hot showers/baths to declog your nose.

Tom - sorry to hear you're snowed in again.

Ama - try sitting on the birthball at home when working - surprisingly comfortable but just remember where you are so you dont fall off it!

Cheese - google sling meets in your area - should bring them up.

Had 16 week appointment today - all good and baby's heartbeat was thumping away happily.

MightBeMad Tue 22-Jan-13 11:14:58

Princess I second the sensible advice already given - tiw very early to be worrying about movements - baby is only really really tiny and very easily able to move so you can't feel it for a bit at this stage. Please don't panic. I hope your midwife is also reassuring x

Hello to everyone else too. V busy with work here but at least I've made it in today. Fingers crossed for no more snow!

Had a protein + in urine yesterday and had to have a blood pressure check (fine) and repeat tests on Thursday. Hopefully all okay. No idea really what that could mean at this stage as too early for pre-eclampsia but hopefully it will all be fine by Thurs.

Have a good Tuesday all!

VinegarDrinker Tue 22-Jan-13 11:16:45

Definitely don't worry about movements this early princessllama

SlouchingPanda Tue 22-Jan-13 11:54:28

TomDaleysTrunks 28 weeks! shock

Agree with the sensible advice on early movements - it is most likely that you have only felt the massive movements and that the all the little ones just go unnoticed at this early stage. There's lots of really useful into on the Count The Kicks website. On phone so can't do a link, but click the 'mums' tab.

Saying that, nothing stops a pregnant worrying in my experience, so if your movements continue to concern you, do give your MW a call. She should be able to listen with a doppler to reassure you.

dinkystinky Tue 22-Jan-13 12:15:23

Mightbemad I had traces of protein in my urine too - midwife said it wasnt anything to worry about but they check for it for all kinds of things, not just PE. Hope all good by Thursday for you.

TomDaleysTrunks I'm also turning into a pig ravenous all the time. Seriously - constant munchies. I've been eating so much more than usual that DH actually commented on how much I was eating. blush

I didn't realise that we weren't supposed to ue Olbas oil or Vicks. Oops. It's a bit late now. I'll use DD's baby Vicks stuff if when I get another cold.

This thread is not accepting new messages.