Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Over 30 first time mums to be club.

(213 Posts)
photographerlady Sat 22-Dec-12 11:51:51

I do not know if all the pregnant women over 30 leave work and lock themselves away but I feel bit lost in groups (Facebook pregnancy groups are a nightmare) talking work, pregnancy, commuting, buying mistakes and going through the biggest change of my life with no one in a similar situation. So any 30+ first time mums to be out there?

TotalShock Wed 07-Aug-13 19:36:16

Hi,

I'm expecting my first and I'm 34 will just of turned 35 when in due.

I don't feel that old in my head but I think my body might know....

Tulipsandbuttercups Wed 07-Aug-13 19:00:46

Hello ladies

I'm 33 and expecting my first, I'm currently 19+4 and I had my 20 week scan yesterday x

Kelly1814 Tue 30-Jul-13 09:20:27

hello ladies!

I'm 37, 30 weeks, working full time, high risk pregnancy (cerclage and baby measuring small) have a scan tomorrow to check on things (have lots more scans than might be 'normal')

love to hear how everyone is getting on!

despite being 30 weeks pregnant it still does not seem at all 'real' to me yet!

lola1980 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:37:54

I also just came across this thread. Most of the ladies on here must've had their babies now, I'm due next Thursday... I'll be 33 the week after. I was working full time but due to every bloody pregnancy problem going, I spent most of it on the sick!
I also agree that being older makes you worry more. I had two m/c before this pregnancy and I can't relax until she's out, safe and sound smile

Just realised this is an old thread... I will hang around if anyone wants to resurrect it!

Hi all, can I squeeze in? A pretty early 5 weeks here, I'm 31, working FT with lots of travel and struggling to concentrate on work already!

babybear9 Fri 19-Jul-13 20:57:12

Hi ladies, Im 7wks with first pregnancy - got my booking in appointment day before my 34th birthday. Glad there are so many of us. I don't feel old at all to be having first baby - can't imagine having been ready in my 20s!

pudtat Mon 04-Feb-13 07:35:27

I know teapig, 33 wks tomorrow and that means only 4 weeks til baby would be classed as term if he made an appearance! Argh! Currently sitting on our coffee table in the kitchen as the builders are back today to sort out the damp in the lounge diner floor and therefore we have had to move everything elsewhere in the house - when there is no room! Felt so useless yesterday but mum came over to help DH and it was better getting it all packed than I had feared... Just hope it can all be dealt with quite swiftly (fx for 1 week not 2) as once that's done there is decorating in there and the small matter of the nursery which is currently rammed to the gunnels with stuff! This is where I do rather wish I was starting my mat leave a little earlier, but hey ho. Wish me zen like calm ladies and lovely ache and stress free weeks to you all!

Teapig Sun 03-Feb-13 17:34:52

Hey ladies, hope everyone is doing well and the spots disappear soon.

I hope the rash clears up cycle. I also get back ache off and on and can sympathise with how tedious it is. I've found a well placed hot water bottle can help.

I had to go to Thursday/Friday as I hadn't felt baby move in 36 hours. They checked the heart beat for ages and that was fine and then I went for a scan and again everything seemed good. Hoping baby is just a bit lazy and will turn out to be a good sleeper when she arrives smile

Can't believe the 30 weeks milestone is coming up for me this week, time is really flying now!

cyclecamper Fri 01-Feb-13 21:27:51

Bexiwoo I managed to get to mothercare (I took my aging mother - she got the staff to find her somewhere to sit out of the way!) this afternoon. I found some bras and tights in the sale and a pair of leggings. I wanted to try things on, but now I have a better idea of size, I will hit ebay smile.

Today I have a strange band of rash above my tummy. It's very odd. And my abdomen feels rather uncomfortable. The backache seems to be back as well, which is tedious.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. smile

Bexiwoo Fri 01-Feb-13 16:00:18

I've been spotty for a few weeks - tea tree face wash seems to be helping! Everyone keeps saying this is the best time in your pregnancy (20 weeks on thursday), so enjoy blooming - I don't feel very blooming! Went to see MW on tuesday, burst into tears the minute I walked into the room. I don't think I had reaslied how worried I was. Anyway, she is so understanding and great to talk to; totally reassured me and had heart beat reassurance as well.
Cycle - try ebay (if you're not fussed about second hand stuff) for maternity bras. I've bought a few for just a few pounds each as my boobs (already sizeable!) have gone mad! I agree with you about needing tights as well - I'm trying to make do with normal ones until spring when i'll stop wearing them anyway, but they are not very comfy, especially with an hour each way of commuting - feel like i'm being cut in half by the time I get home!

Have a great weekend everyone smile

I had lovely skin at first, then spots from 19-25 weeks, then clear again now....must be all the hormone shifts. A good reason to treat yourself to a facepack and put your feet up!

Mayan, glad you got your scan date, once you're past the weekend the time will fly!

cyclecamper Thu 31-Jan-13 22:08:56

mayan I have lovely spots too - very attractive. And blotchy chest. It's great!

I'm going to have to give in and get some maternity stuff - I've got hardly any bras left and I need some tights and leggings, if nothing else. My friend was going to bring some stuff from her boss, but I think I need some stuff before she's going to get here. I'll have to buy tights and bras anyway. I know my sister ended up something like a 34J, so I want to manage with as few as possible - I can't afford lots in different sizes!

Another interview on Saturday for a 3 week job at the end of feb. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Mayanbob Thu 31-Jan-13 21:22:37

Hey theere cycle glad you've had some temping and they were well beahved. Good luck with your booking appointment next week.

I am loving the coke - cherry coke to be precise. I wish I could have something useful to say about 16 year old siblings with Aspergers... but it's not mhy area of expertise. However, doing the princes trust has got to be good...

Sympathies for a poorly DH as well.

Does anyone else have spotty skin. It's just gross. I look old, spotty and gross. ah well... happy pregnancy me. hmm

cyclecamper Wed 30-Jan-13 22:37:19

grow That sounds like a manic week! Hurrah for consultants that get it!

Mayan Ooh, your scan is the same day as my booking appointment, that will be exciting! Good news on the bloods being fine. I just can't imagine why you might not want to talk to all the people who have had terrible things go wrong <rollseyes>. Sometimes people have a strange idea as to what is helpful.

I have done 2 days temp work this week - 3 girls with chicken pox. Not ideal, but easy, since they just wilted on the sofa and periodically took themselves off to bed for a nap. The advantage of temp work is that you don't have to worry about 3 year olds who have nappies and dummies and 6 year olds who don't eat vegetables - it's not your problem grin.

I have been feeling the movements for a couple of weeks, particularly this evening, which might be down to the 1/2 glass of proper coke I had earlier! I don't usually drink coke, but I needed something fizzy for the heartburn and that was all I could find at the temp job. My husband is off work with a chest infection and, having been given steroids by the gp today, is likely to be somewhat grumpy this weekend. Joy. The 16 year old is showing signs of not coping with the idea of the baby, but he is supposed to be in the Peak District next week doing outward bound type stuff with the princes trust, so maybe the distance will give him a chance to get used to it. There is information about helping 2 and 3 year olds with a new sibling, but remarkably little about helping a 16 year old with Asbergers!

Mayanbob Wed 30-Jan-13 20:37:44

Hello everyone.

grow Glad you've got a respectful consultant and good on you for taking the low stress approach to decorate. (i'm just ignoring it all) Scan on Groupon?! I will have to pay more attention.

After some trauma, I have my Scan date. Next Thursday. I phoned up on Monday only to find out that the ultrasound department hadn't heard of me. Spoke to community midwife who put in another 'card' and everyone was very nice, but cue silent tears at work. However, got text from my midwife first thing on Tuesday (she had been off) saying she was chasing it, and she phoned me today with details. Also my bloods are all fine and I don't have a urine infection. So that's all jolly good.

Now excited and terrified because of scan. This is going to be the LONGEST week.

When I was talking about 'worst case scenarios' today with DH, he suggestes that I might want to talk to MiL about her ectopic pregnancy, and his cousins stillbirth. I said that I probably wouldn't want to talk about that. I wonder what goes through his brain sometimes... I really do. confused

Hope everyone else is well.x

Morning!

I hope everyone has had a bit more sleep and are feeling more energised and less tearful.

Mayan - are you on your ring around for your scan date yet?

Who is feeling kicks now as well - cycle?

I've had a chocka week so far filled with a new OB consultant meeting that went soooo much better than the last consultant I saw (who was uncaring, aggressive and so patronising I asked to change!). Still weighing up delivery options as there are some issues following the surgery I had for the ectopic in late 2011. This woman is so much more respectful, caring and supportive. In the end, whatever I decide, so long as this baby comes out alive and well without too much trauma to us all, that's all that matters. smile

We've also had a tonne of hoo-ha over our bathroom project (half the suite not being delivered or available in our timescale and a flaky builder) so we've decided to scrap the whole damn project and tart up the bathroom we have to reduce stress and enjoy the time we have before the LO arrives.

So actually, a bit mental as it's only Weds. But I have a lovely meal out with an old friend tonight after work and it's my birthday this Sunday (36 - woop woop!) so we're having a 3D/4D scan on Sunday that was only £47 on a Groupon deal. So hopefully she won't look too squishy. smile.

28+1 (and going soooo fast!)

cyclecamper Wed 30-Jan-13 07:26:51

How is everyone doing?

Mayanbob Fri 25-Jan-13 21:06:01

Happy Friday!

grow Still no letter- grrr... however, have texted midwife (yesterday) and am giving her till Monday to reply before I pick a number at random at the maternity hospital and try and sort it out.

Eggy hope you enjoy your early night.... the emotions are crazy aren't they? (Last night I cried because DH didn't win his darts match, ...not sobbing or anything, just welling up but still... this is ludicrous behaviour -at least yours was baby related)

Very jealous of you veggie growers... am currently resident in a flat with no balcony. I grew up with a mahoosive garden and my own veggie patch, and am now at an age where I miss it daily. It doesn't help by the fact our bedroom overlooks allotments.

I feel much less tired today. not sure why- but made the most of it and have done the hoovering. I did eat 2 packs of crisps and drank a (small) bottle of cherry coke... so maybe that's it.

Hope you all have a happy and healthy weekend, and get the sleeps you want.

EggyM Fri 25-Jan-13 18:43:30

Happy Friday everyone! I think I may be celebrating by... having an early night - still so tired!!

Welcome to all the newbies - and congratulations on your pregnancies!

grow and mayan think I may join you guys at being an emotional wreck. I cried today while teaching a lesson about women in Nazi Germany because the video clip I showed had pictures of babies...

teapig yay to getting to the 28 week milestone!

Am starting to get a little bump now at almost 14 weeks. I'm sure everyone just thinks I ate a few too many pies recently but it looks like a bump to me. When I stand in front of the mirror for half an hour and squint at it from every angle...

I am an allotmenteer! This will be our third allotment year. It's not so time intensive as you think, not daily. From march to nov we go 1-3 times a week and we manage to fit it in with both of us working in London and commuting up.

I love being out in nature and can't wait to walk baby up there and do some weeding and planting while she naps (oh the romance of it!). Although I'm sure ill only get half as much done as I would normally. We have a baby bjorn carrier second hand, so may try digging with baby on me, we'll see.

mayanbob did you get your letter through?

Bexiwoo Fri 25-Jan-13 17:04:39

ooh how exciting - I will be looking at all these links over the weekend!
Cycle I can't believe that you will not get to see the MW until you are 22 weeks. Talk about postcode lottery. Somebody else mentioned home visits - I had my first appt at home with the MW, which was most pleasant and chilled.

Grow - have you already tried growing your own fruit and veg? I've been attempting some "easy" (!) items, over the last few years with varying degrees of success. I think you really need to be in the garden every day, planting a new batch of this and that seedlings out, whilst harvesting what has grown to perfection and not been munched by slugs, snails and puppy dogs tails! Can you tell it is not going well on the horticultural front? We ended up with 20 lettuces all ready at the same time, millions of green tomatoes, and bags of potatoes (That, I can do seemingly) just when my OH decided to eat less carbs!!!
Think I'll stick to flowers.

Thanks teapig and mayanbob!

Some of them are blogs like this one: cheaphealthygood.blogspot.co.uk/

And the hilariously titled, 'penniless parenting! www.pennilessparenting.com/

And i love this one (plus she has a pinterest board and I'm obsessed with pinning!) makingdowiththenotsonew.blogspot.co.uk/

And talking of tearful, I'm on the edge of a blubber for no reasons apart from tiredness after a crappy night's sleep and leg cramps this morning - my new symptom!

27+2

Mayanbob Wed 23-Jan-13 21:30:41

Hello everyone new. Lots of worry here but lots of support too!

Eggy .... as if on cue this week I have been so tired! unable to do anything of use. I thought it was supposed to get better as time goes on, but this week has really knocked me for six. can't even cook- just grazing.

Still no scan date so will text the midwife tomorrow to see if she's got a number I can ring. Letter from NHS today but was exemption cert. sad

Fortunately the mass tiredness has also got rid of any homicidal feeling for poor DH.

I am less worried about the lack of symptoms... as nothing will be the 'solid' symptom that I want apart from seeing the little bean. And whilst all the things I do have- constipation, tiredness, slight nausea, spidey sense of smell, crying over complete random things- do exist in normal life, I guess having all of them together and the continued lack of bleeding indicate that things are going well.

- for your amusement, the latest crying top two are 1) blubbing when colleagues work contract was extended for a year because I was so happy (blamed PMT and think I got away with it)
2) Actually sobbing in the car when DH said we could get a KFC snack box and I wouldn't have to cook blush

Teapig Wed 23-Jan-13 18:42:13

Evening all.

Hey grow! Great animation, that'll explain the heartburn then smile. If you have any links to the frugal/green living thing please do share. I'm all about frugal at the moment and could do with inspiration.

28 weeks today, feels like a milestone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now