Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Over 30 first time mums to be club.

(213 Posts)
photographerlady Sat 22-Dec-12 11:51:51

I do not know if all the pregnant women over 30 leave work and lock themselves away but I feel bit lost in groups (Facebook pregnancy groups are a nightmare) talking work, pregnancy, commuting, buying mistakes and going through the biggest change of my life with no one in a similar situation. So any 30+ first time mums to be out there?

Rache1S Thu 10-Jan-13 12:12:17

So transition is just before you shit yourself while pushing? shock

Autumn12 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:13:38

Me! I will be 36 when DC1 is born in August.

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:19:59

Ha, exactly rache. That's what it is.
Cannot wait hmm

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:22

Yes. Epidural. At least. Definitely.

Hi Autumn

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:51

Oopsie hi autumn from me too!

hazle - I'm think too scared for an epidural. You're sooo much more likely to need ventouse or god forbid forceps with an epidural, and the aftermath of those TERRIFY me. It's basically a lose-lose situation as far as I can tell sad

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 13:21:00

Ah but as we know, if you exercise regularly during pregnancy, you will be 75% less likely to need an assisted delivery, so I think I'll just do a few more classes and have the epidural anyway grin

In realitly, we'll see, I seem to have quite high pain treshold - when i had surgery last year, I was always telling the nurses to go away with the painkillers as I didn't need any. But if I do, I'll take them.

Teapig Thu 10-Jan-13 18:19:23

I'm with you purple, I'm going to stick my head firmly in the sand and believe it will all be fine.

I was totally banking on an epidural but doesn't sound great either. I'm too scared to ask what ventouse is.

After all these years of evolution you'd think the vagina would be more cat flap-like.

Missikat Thu 10-Jan-13 18:26:19

This thread is brilliant, it's making me laugh out loud! Rach, that's the bit my husband has said he may struggle to scoop out the pool (we're hoping for home water birth...his job to keep it clean!!!)

We'll see though, I think I have a low pain threshold so maybe only gas and air will be a challenge. The water is meant to help though.

Rache1S Thu 10-Jan-13 18:29:38

Teapig I can't believe after millions of years of human evolution, nature has decided that this is the best and most efficient way of growing a new human and then getting them out! It's horrific!

I can't help myself watching the birthing programs. I am dreading it but I can't stop watching in some sort of evil masochistic way confused And I have seen the full horror a birth first hand so I know exactly what's coming!

curlyclaz13 Thu 10-Jan-13 18:46:23

I don't know what you're all worrying about, when the time comes I am just going to sneeze and ta-da one perfect baby. grin

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 19:20:38

pff sneeze - if you just you know, educated yourself and relaxed, you could simply breathe the baby out. sneezing means you weren't properly prepared, tsk tsk grin

BelissimaLol Thu 10-Jan-13 19:28:38

I don't even think about giving birth.
I once watched a stand up comedy where the bloke said watching your wife giving birth is the same as watching your local being destroyed by a storm. You will always go back and have another pint but you will never forget the destruction you saw. grin

pudtat Thu 10-Jan-13 22:01:27

Hello! 33 and 29+2, though will be 34 by the time LO arrives unless he makes a very early appearance!

Currently in the throes of working out how to hand over my client bank in 8 weeks to someone I wasn't sure was capable of coping, but my boss was, (now less so, but it's a bit late!) while meeting massive work deadline at end of month, at the same time we have the builders in ripping the house apart and making a mess it would take me a week to clean up even if I wasn't the size of a whale and incapable of bending over. So all good smile.

On the plus side, no leakage yet. Just masses of discharge which might as well be hmm (sorry TMI!blush). This pregnancy lark is so glamourous!

olympicvibes Thu 10-Jan-13 22:17:01

I watched OBEM and bawled eyes out while patrner hardly noticed I was crying or that it was on. He is reading Game of Thrones but reckon he just didn't want to know that hosp doesn't have a bar or you don't just sneeze and then get a baby.

He is actually really lovely and deals with my hormonal moods and need for chocolate looks after me a lot.

Has anyone actually decided what they want about labour though?! I have a hypnobirthing cd to watch and want to know more about that. It's been in the house 3 months though so obviously a priority. But I think.it's impossible to say 'oh i want'...or is it just me?
Will see if consultant says can have water birth or if have to be at hosp unit..mw says to ask.consultant at 32 wk appoint cos i had high risk pg til half way point.
I think it's quite hard to decide what kind of labour to say you want. Yeah, erm I want the quickest, easiest, painless kind please. And a baby that sleeps from day one and never poos. Ta very much, that's great.

Havent got antenatal classes sorted yet but thinking of joining NCT as well. Hope everyone well.

olympicvibes Thu 10-Jan-13 22:22:02

Pud you are just ahead of me! 28 wks today. With you on the glamour of it all!

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 08:13:21

those who are further along - can you tell when you actually started looking pregnant? I'm 17 weeks now and look just fat - which is odd, as I have barely put on any weight according to the scales, but have definitely somehow acquired a lot more...volume. Waist has totally disappeared and while I was expecting to go up in bra cup size, I also had to go up a back size. Very annoying.

I think everyone's different Hazle I'm starting to get a few odd glances thrown at my stomach and I'm only 14/15 weeks but I think it's because I haven't really got bigger anywhere else just got massive funny shaped Tum so it looks odd but I'm definitely starting to look pregnant not fat because I'm all out of proportion and all stomach. To be fair I'm also much shorter than your average person so maybe it shows up more on my little body?

Actually on reflection it probably is more to do with your superior stomach muscles! Mine are clearly rubbish as I'm not a huge fan of exercise. If god had wanted me to run he'd have given me longer legs.

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 11:20:10

I am only 5,3" and I very much look fat rather than pregnant sad

janey1234 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:31:09

I'm 5'11 and it's no better. I think I just look HUGE, a bit like a man in height and breadth now. I'm wearing some short going out shorts to work today as I'm out on the town tonight (reckon I will last until 10pm!) and began to feel vaguely attractive as I was getting dressed and doing my hair this morning... Then I couldn't do the zip up properly on the shorts (last inch is open at the back - but covered by my top thankfully) and tried putting heels on and decided I looked like a man in drag sad Settled for some boring flat pumps instead, and didn't bother with contacts instead of my glasses. Feel so frumpy now it's unbelievable. Feel bad moaning as clearly it's all totally worth that, and I'm delighted I'm pg, but this fatty feeling is a lot harder to accept than I'd expected...

Moan, moan, moan.... wink

Yeah but you've still got a good 3 inches on me Rach, I'm SHORT.
It is silly isn't it because we all knew we were going to get fat but I'm finding it really hard, I just don't feel like me and I miss having a waist. I've never been fat before and I don't like it!

Sorry Janey but the thought of you looking like you're in drag made me snort with laughter!

janey1234 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:05:54

I know purple. I guess like the dungarees it's funny to those not involved hey rache wink.

I was hoping for feminine and voluptuous, with a rather sexy little bump. Instead I kind of feel like I look like I'm growing a manly beer belly, and I ought to go out and play darts in the evening whilst eating pork scratchings and scratching my arse.

Teapig Fri 11-Jan-13 12:06:14

olympicvibes, I haven't thought about the kind of birth I want yet but think I'll probably opt for the quick and pain free kind too. I'm starting NCT classes next month so hope they will help me decide. At the moment ignorance is bliss.

Hazel, I think it was past 20 weeks before I started to get a bump that didn't just look like a bigger belly. At 17 weeks a lot of people still didn't know I was pregnant.

I really need to invest in some maternity clothes. With so much to buy for baby I don't really want to spend too much but I can no longer manage with one pair of maternity jeans and my baggyest non-pg clothes.

Has anyone found any not-too-frumpy but fairly cheap maternity clothes anywhere? I'm thinking of checking out H&M.

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 12:09:38

teapig, I have got nice things from Gap. Don't need maternity tops yet, but trousers were getting too tight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now