Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012- mass eviction.

(1000 Posts)
Honeycantthinkofanxmasnickname Sun 09-Dec-12 11:03:55

Babies are coming out fast!

yuletopian99 Sat 29-Dec-12 07:56:37

Oh bunty I'm so sorry.. Crossing everything for an acceleration to end the waiting for you.

Sent home in tears. 5 hours of horrendous contractions whilst there and I only dilated another centimetre.

Thanks, blackcurrants.

No idea what their plan is ATM. I'm back on ctg and madam is having a party so her heartrate is sky high and they won't take me off until she calms down sad

No pain relief as I'm technically still in triage. I'm exhausted. I said I wouldn't agree to induction but now I'll bite their hand off.

sad Bunty that sounds miserable! are they going the pitocin route? my first labour took hours to start, eventually I had pitocin, an epidural , the nicest 4 hour nap in the world, then woke as the epidural wore off and pushed. that wasn't too bad at all, specially the dilatimg-while-asleep bit. Hope you get some action or some rest soon. x

At hospital. 21 hours of contractions - 1/2 a fucking centimetre. I am beyond gutted. She is playing up so I'm having to be monitored. What fun.

MyDaydream Sat 29-Dec-12 01:26:50

Turned out to be nothing although my left side is still painful to touch. Friends have gone home now so baby is free to come whenever he wants. Preferably now. Think DP is a bit tipsy though so may need to give him a few hours to sober up.

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sat 29-Dec-12 00:28:11

mrsx congratulations. I had exactly the same problem, I ended up cup feeding for a few days. The midwives weren't worried though, they said that newborns only need a tiny amount. My DS was full of mucus and it's taken him over a week to start eating properly now

Secondsop Fri 28-Dec-12 23:28:53

mrsx congratulations on your new baby. As others say, try a cup or syringe or spoon to get something down him - he won't need much but bear in mind that he may need more formula than breast milk, volume wise, to get the same nutrition - ask the midwives about this. I had to formula feed for the 1st 5 days as my baby's blood sugar was very low, but we got onto breastfeeding after that, although I've reintroduced a couple of bottles a day because he wasn't putting on weight initially.

Something that might be worth a go latch-wise is nipple shields - they were the only way I could get my boy onto my left breast initially. Also, have you tried both breasts equally? I struggled and struggled with the left, and then realised he would latch relatively easily onto the right breast.

Secondsop Fri 28-Dec-12 23:27:02

mrsx congratulations on your new baby. As others say, try a cup or syringe or spoon to get something down him - he won't need much but bear in mind that he may need more formula than breast milk, volume wise, to get the same nutrition - ask the midwives about this. I had to formula feed for the 1st 5 days as my baby's blood sugar was very low, but we got onto breastfeeding after that, although I've reintroduced a couple of bottles a day because he wasn't putting on weight initially.

Something that might be worth a go latch-wise is nipple shields - they were the only way I could get my boy onto my left breast initially. Also, have you tried both breasts equally? I struggled and struggled with the left, and then realised he would latch relatively easily onto the right breast.

Hormonalhell Fri 28-Dec-12 23:06:09

Oooooh bunty looks like u getting baby tomorrow smile am not envy at all

Agree with trying a syringe or spoon or even a small cup (like the one you use with night nurse!). My bf advisor said they really only need a teaspoon at this age anyway and if you do give formula tonight you can still go back to breastfeeding if you want to. smile Congratulations!

pmgkt Fri 28-Dec-12 21:18:17

Don't feel bad about formula feeding. I would suggest ringing your midwife or out of hours number for advice as I think it would be too long for a little baby. You could try a spoon or syringe though. My ds used a syringe at about the same age as dh fed him while I was poorly in hospital. You could try to do a bit of expressing when you have time if you want to start bf again in a few days, you may get away with it.

mrsXsweet Fri 28-Dec-12 21:06:56

Hi, just found this group and am looking for advice. Ds was born yesterday, have spent 24 hours trying to get him to latch on with no success. I also have an ill toddler so have made the decision to formula feed ( I realise this may not be a popular decision) but he won't take a bottle either. Will he dehydrate over night if he still won't take any fluid?

Thank you everyone! I have my tens on now, and going to try and get some kip since I've been up since 3am with only a half hour nap sad hospital, unsurprisingly, do not want me in although I am vbac as no scar pain and uncomplicated pregnancy.

Contractions with DS were 3 min apart lasting a minute last time. How the fuck is this labour not better?

ISpyDingDongMerrilyOnHigh Fri 28-Dec-12 20:25:24

Congratulations Yule and welcome Oscar thanks.

Alison - it must be so difficult for you not being with Thomas and it sounds like the attitude of some of the hospital staff isn't helping. Sending you un-mnetty <hugs> and hoping you can take him home soon.

Good luck Bunty - hopefully not long now.

Usually between contractions you feel nothing, this time mine were so close together though they all merged into one confused

annelid Fri 28-Dec-12 20:16:52

Good luck bunty!!

My last was speedy. My waters broke and DS 3 appeared 20 mins later, midwives shortly after. Quick but slightly scary.

I wanted a planned homebirth this time but could not get the support as this is no.7. Really worried about giving birth in the car though!

daydream in between contractions I was hoovering and sweeping my floor so mil wouldn't complain, with no pain at all hmm

mwah ds2 (dc3) labour was 3hrs 10 minutes from first pain to delivery, we were at the hospital for 35 minutes when he made his appearance. I was prepared for 2 weeks of latent labour like I had with the first 2, but no, he wanted to make a quick entrance.

MyDaydream Fri 28-Dec-12 20:10:12

Can I just ask what in between contractions feel like? I just had a really bad cramp on my left side that lasted about 5 minutes that felt like I was being stabbed, now it's died down to a dull periody ache and it feels quite tender if I touch it. Our friends have just arrived for dinner and I'm a bit worried they're going to be here for the main event.

mwahmwah Fri 28-Dec-12 19:31:38

I'm still lurking, 2 days overdue now! Sweep booked for New Year's Eve should we get there... Ended up in hospital after a routine midwife apptmt yesterday showed the baby's heart rate was too high at 180. On a trace in hospital for 5 llloooonnnngggg hours before they decided all was well! Boo, was hoping they'd whip me in and deliver baby quick and easy. No such luck!
Anyone else totally panicking about reaching hospital in time? Since this is number 3 and my last two labours have been 6 and 5 hours, I'm really worried it'll be hubby delivering the bubba. Met a girl the other day whose second labour was 25 minutes long and daddy delivered the baby on the bathroom floor shock

pmgkt Fri 28-Dec-12 19:31:34

Bunty I hope its not too long to go now. Wishing you all the best.

emilyeggs Fri 28-Dec-12 19:27:32

These babies are all going to get a telling off when they get out! I can't stand lateness angry hope your not too uncomfortable bunty

Oh bunty poor you envy how painful are they? I reckon once your waters pop baby will fly out smile

Still here still contracting anywhere between 3 - 10 minutes (!). Thought second labours were meant to be quicker? angry

16 hours of this so far and counting. I think this may even be longer than my mammoth 36 hour first labour. I ordered a quick easy one this time!

Haha Emily, sounds like me the other day! It didn't work hmm
Not a dicky bird all day angry

This thread is not accepting new messages.