Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Shagged Out Viroids 6th Thread! From Early Days to Ready To Pop - Proof that JSing really does work!

(1000 Posts)
WingDefence Thu 06-Dec-12 17:24:47

Hello and welcome to another shiny fred for Just Shagging graduates!

The last fred was nice and busy so fingers crossed we get lots more members grin

We've just moved over from the Shagged Out Viroids Volume 5 thread, where we finally found out that a 'viroid' is from the original JSing thread 1, where someone was trying to type ladies (in reference to all the JSing ladies), but their phone decided to call us all viroids instead!
The name stuck and we've been the JSing viroids ever since.

Our stats thread is here, so if you find us, please add your stats too.

There is also a Just Mumming thread for grads of the grads thread confused grin

And if you want to find out what Just Shagging is about or catch up with the undergrads go say hello to the Just Shaggers here, now on the 12th thread thanks

WingDefence Tue 12-Feb-13 11:04:51

I forgot that both you and waves are islanders Dysgu (although I suppose we are all islanders aren't we!). I'm being super-lazy and not walking DS the 15 mins to and from preschool in the mornings as I think it'll kill me! Last night I could barely walk when I got up from the sofa to go to bed. I didn't have any SPD-type aches with DS but I guess it's all loosened now more easily.

Guinea I bought some lovely posh slip ons from Clarks two weeks ago as sadly I couldn't be doing my converse up any longer. Best purchase ever grin

Right, the MW visit! She was lovely. Turns out I had met her once before at 16 weeks but neither of us remembered hmm She did say right at the start that she may come across as really negative and anti-home confinement but actually she was all for HBs but she had to go through all that could go wrong. So I steeled myself for a really depressing visit but it was absolutely fine - the negatives/risks/discussion about what could go wrong were all things I know about already so I felt fine about it.

I think what helps is that I want a HB for a couple of reasons but one of them isn't because I am a HB militant and I am going to be dogmatic about having one no matter what: if the MW says I have to be transferred at any point for good medical reasons then I really doubt I'll argue with them. I think that makes me more relaxed about it. I mean, I got to 7cms with DS on just breathing exercises and there isn't really any reason with me getting in a car just to pop the baby out in hospital when I could save myself the hassle (assuming all goes to plan) and stay at home to do it.

One thing that surprised me was that they bring the gas & air with them - it's not dropped off beforehand. I'd said to DH last night that I wouldn't want to get on the g&a too early when I'd lasted pretty long without it last time but I'll have to wait for it as long as if I'd gone into hospital anyway.

We went through the few questions I had (but she'd covered nearly all of them) including what to do at nighttime when there may be fewer MWs on call. I think she said they've only had staffing shortages once in the past few years for a HB but that that isn't my problem anyway (ABSOLUTELY!) and they've started using MWs from the Chorley centre to help cover so that was another weight off my mind. I said that DH and I work in the public sector (DH is currently working as a governance consultant in the NHS) and are completely sympathetic to staffing issues, but if I couldn't have a HB because of that I would not be very happy at all!

(Sorry this is turning into a brain dump!)

Overall, it seemed to be really positive. I think DH's main concern is that mentaly, if things go wrong in a hospital then you can always compartmentalise that away in the hospital space but if it goes wrong at home, will he/I always associate our house with something tragic at worst or upsetting at best.

And my main issue is that if anything were to go seriously wrong (I'm not just talking about having to be transferred for any reason), I would always blame myself for that, because I was at home and not in hospital. I would have to live with that for the rest of my life. But then again, something that terrible probably couldn't be foreseen could it - it's just the delay for treatment etc that would be avoidable. But then again if the risks were that high, the NHS wouldn't suggest that HBs are perfectly fine for low risk mums like me?

So much to think about - well done if you've read this far! wink biscuit

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 12-Feb-13 11:17:26

Wing, we went through every thought you just brain-dumped whilst thinking about HB for DS.
I think as long as you're ok/prepared for going to hospital if it's needed (and it sounds like you are) then you should be alright.
DS was a December baby & the MW did say 'if it's heavy snow, you've got no chance of a hb'...so might be worth considering the weather too.

I'd like a hb, but as DS decided against it at 38wks...I'm fully expecting another awkward problem baby.

PUSH something grin
Hope you're ok, vbac-ing away happily.

Good to know there are so many hippy babywearers on the fred. I want a carrier, but not a wrap one!

WingDefence Tue 12-Feb-13 11:35:40

Thanks Gary smile Hopefully no snow at the start of April but the MW did mention it as they had a HB on a remote farm two weeks ago when we had tons of the stuff and both the MWs' cars crashed in the snow/ice so the DH of the labouring mum got his tractor and pulled them both back up to the farm to deliver the baby safely! grin We have a 4x4 and friends with tractors if the worst came to the worst but goodness knows what an ambulance would do if it needed to get here...

Re baby carriers, we were given a Baby Bjorn for DS that was great. (I must find it to wash...) I also bought a baba sling and just couldn't get on with it at all. DS's face was covered up and he was all schlomped in it and I wasn't happy with it so never used it.

tiredteddy Tue 12-Feb-13 11:44:20

Sounds like you finally got all the info you've been waiting for wing glad the mw was nice and meeting went well. I think if you feel happy with the idea of a hb and are low risk it sounds like a great option for you.

gary I am also looking at slings as going to Barcelona in June with some friends and will be taking fern with me. I quite like the look of an Ergo. I have a peanut shell (pouch sling) at the moment but its good for a little baby then a hipseat. Not so good for wearing for a long time.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 12-Feb-13 12:08:22

Quick post as I have to dash out in a minute. Glad your MW appt went well Wing, will respond more later.

Just to say that Baby Bjorn type carriers are not recommended because of the position of baby's hips and legs (the are dangling) and it can damage their developing hip joints. Best to look for one where their bottom is lower than their hips. There are LOADS of non-wrap carriers that do this. I have a Beco and love it, alongside a wrap for the newborn days.

Right, off to lunch with my mum and grandma and really really must go ...

Hooya Tue 12-Feb-13 12:45:01

Ooh exciting, also offering best of luck to something <sends positive VBAC vibes>

And Wing that's fab about HB - sounds like some helpful food for thought, how exciting!

Guinea and others thanks for the baby carrier info - they are much more common than buggies here in Japan so therefore more convenient I think - all advice on good / bad ones is welcome!

WingDefence Tue 12-Feb-13 13:11:31

Guinea I hadn't heard that shock Hmm, will have to do some research --aka Googling- before I dig it out then... We used the buggy more but the carrier for day trips/walks so perhaps that isn't as bad as long-term usage?

Hooya if they are more common in Japan, you may be able to find more information on them than over here?

I really hope something is okay...

Rockchick1984 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:39:21

Go on www.slingmeet.co.uk and see if there's a group near you, that's how I started learning about different types of slings and what works for us (can try loads on as well there). Obviously only works if in the uk!! There's also a blog post I came across here that explains the reasons bjorns and other similar carriers aren't good.

Dysgu Tue 12-Feb-13 13:39:34

Just popping on whilst eating some lunch mid-reports (have to eat but really work better if I can just keep going - and I promised DDs I would not do any this evening between school run and bed time!)

We are all thinking of you something and waiting to hopefully find out what 'colour' you have - a pink or a blue one.

Wing glad you finally got all the answers about a possible HB. If everything goes as 'easily' for you as last time then it really does sound like it would be best to have the baby at home. There are always risks with birth - I think we all worry about them and no one could do anything but 'blame' themselves if things go wrong, no matter how informed every decision is. But then, parenthood is all about some form of guilt hmm so might as well get in the practice during the pregnancy.

As for slings, my wraps are my favourites. I have a hugabub for the early days and just put it on in the morning and wear it all day, just popping the baby in and out as required during the day. Then I have a Moby wrap that is less stretchy for when they get a bit bigger. Then I have a Natibaby ring sling for when they are toddlers and I carry them on my hip. I did have a hip seat but really didn't 'get it' so sold it almost straight away.

DP had a Baby Bjorn (handed down from his DSis) which he liked but he only ever carried DDs for walks in forests or over the downs whereas I wore them most of the time. I really didn't like the BB carrier and found it uncomfortable compared to my slings, especially the wraps which spread the weight more evenly. I was still carrying DD1 when she was 3.5yo on occasion and would push DD2 in the buggy (!) as that was what they preferred.

DP also had a backpack-type carrier which I always found tricky but he (and the girls) loved it. The girls, I think, just like being carried by their daddy and they still love it when he gives them 'horsey rides' grin

Now I am going to have to get back to these reports and NOT start looking at slings....

More good luck to something

Hooya Tue 12-Feb-13 14:23:06

Must resist urge to google slings and baby carriers!

Wing the reason I'm interested is they tend to have some quite different ideas in Japan - they don't seem to support babies' heads in the same way, for instance (generalising but certainly a common observation here) so I want to make sure I get UK perspectives too! There is a local pregnancy group for foreigners but I'm waiting til 12 weeks before I join it, just in case!

<wishes away the next 3 weeks til we can tell everyone and start contemplating baby purchases>

Still thinking of something and hoping for good news in the morning!

Practisingparent Tue 12-Feb-13 15:32:12

* Guinea*, ive had the same questions 'Are you sure its just the one in there?' etc. Like we can get through atleast 2 scans and still not be sure of the number of babies! I was worrying, I really was too big, but my measurements are very average!. Also good call regarding shoe shopping. my feet have hit the point where they swell up when Iv been up 10 mins, I can only fit in old ugg boots and roomy slippers, every other boot/shoe has been returned to closet.

Im definately missing being slim, cant seem to judge spaces I can fit through very well.

something good luck!

Off to Bournemouth this weekend, yay for mini breaks!

Practisingparent Tue 12-Feb-13 15:52:32

Oooh slings! i have a couple from last time round. Wing like you, I could not get on with the babasling last time, but will probably give it another go. I found our very ordinary mothercare upright pretty good for out and about (although did not know about the hip thing) and if baby has wind, but its not as supportive to the head as a baby byorn.

I dont think i use them as much as some of the 'hippie' mums on here, where I come from I was regarded as 'mother earth', just because I breast-fed! grin

WingDefence Tue 12-Feb-13 16:09:55

"cant seem to judge spaces I can fit through very well" - yes I have this all the time! I keep forgetting about my bump (not as much now tbh) and bumping into things or shutting doors onto my bump whereas before a door would happily swing past me as I shut it!

Rock thanks for that link - it does explain the issue very easily. I'm also glad it doesn't write off all of those-style carriers and only suggests slings of fabric carriers (which I have tried but couldn't get on with) - the key is the support on the baby's thighs?

I have a couple from when I had DS as I did some testing for Mother & Baby magazine that I had to circulate amongst my other mummy friends. I was going to eBay them after we tested them but I'm glad I didn't now. Although saying that, I do wonder if I got the nicest ones back... hmm

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 12-Feb-13 16:57:39

Well we have a new arrival on the thread - can't wait for Something to come and tell us all the details!

We have a sling library in our area so you can try them out before buying one or just keep renting if you wish. I would definitely recommend them if you have one near you. I had a quick look at the WYSlingLibrary blog and camer across this and this article about carriers which you may find helpful.

I have tried slings before and couldn't get on with them either - I only felt like she was secure when I was sat down (which defeats the object really doesn't it confused. I lived in my Kari-Me wrap at first and like you Dysgu I used to put it on in the morning and pop DD in it as an when. I found it really helpful when we were popping into shops from the car because I didn't have to lug the car seat around or get the pushchair out of the boot. But I did prefer a more structured carrier when she was bigger. That being said I might try a less stretchy wrap this time round. I have a Kari Me for first weeks, a Beco as they get older and a Scootababy hip carrier for toddlerhood. I found this website extremely helpful and their customer service was excellent when I rang them with queries (I'm not affiliated to them in any way though!)

Managed to get some new shoes from Clarks today. Very pleased with my purchase!

My childminder has also text me to say that she'll drop the kids off for me today so I am already in my PJs and just about to make dinner!

I feel like I've had a really naughty day today as I should have been working from home, but everyone needs a bit of time off every now and again don't they?! I maintain that Saturdays and Sundays don't count because then I look after the children which is even harder work than working wink

Practisingparent Tue 12-Feb-13 19:54:44

Woooo, congrats Something. Cant wait to hear more. Jealous of your new born cuddles!

Pineapple80 Tue 12-Feb-13 20:12:14

Congrats Something!!!smile

ChildOfThe1980s Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:02

Congrats Something smile

Thanks for the link Rockchick There's also an interesting blog on that site about post-natal depression. Apparently it can be worsened by a lack of vitamins like Omega 3 and vitamin D? Good reason for me to keep taking vitamins after the baby's born too.

thanks everyone smile baby henry john lee was born 12/2/13 at 2.33pm via emergay c-section. weighing a tiny 5lb 8oz!

hes currently in scbu on oxygen,dextrose,anti-biotics and has a feeding tube. hes having booby milk through his tube. scbu say hes doing well. i havent been allowed to see him yet and its killing me. DP took a picture of him and hes really cute even with his tube. his heads a bit mushed as even though he was a section they had to use forceps.

tiredteddy Tue 12-Feb-13 23:13:55

Oh wow Something. He's here safe and sound. I'm sure you will get to see him in the morning. That must have been stressful for you an emergency c section. How are you feeling now yourself? Congratulations on your beautiful little boy x

thankyou tired. im feeling great hardly and pain and have exoressed 6ml of colostrum for him.

my warers broke at 12.15 the 11/2/13 and my body wouldnt go into labour. he had pooed in my waters to. he was born grey, not breathig and covered in mec. he needed a breathing tube wich they placedin theatre to get him breathing. he has no energy and they think he had, had enough of being in my belly. turns out my cord was bad and knotted and my placenta was in pieces wich could be an explination for his size.

the midwife has been to scbu for me he hasnt weed and the dr wanted him nil by mouth but my midwife got the dr to agree to give him freshly expressed colostrum. he is on oxygen and if it needs turning up anymore he will be given some breathing help. he has a strong dextrose infusuon going through as hes has no energy, he hasnt cried yet. he has antibioics as a precaution

Dysgu Tue 12-Feb-13 23:37:14

HUGE congratulations something what fabulous news. It must be really hard not having seen him for real yet but hopefully you will be wheeled down to see him first thing in the morning. He looks lovely in the picture on FB. Hope you are feeling alright after your ECS.

lovely name too

Dysgu Tue 12-Feb-13 23:41:35

Sounds like he has had a tough time if things were not so great inside... but he is in the best place now and will hopefully be feeling more lively once he has had a lot of sleep, lots of oxygen and some colostrum with all its goodness. The dextrose should hopefully kick in too. He looked like he was a good colour in te picture.

I know it is hard on you not being with him but he really is in the best place. DD2 was born at that weight at 35 weeks and was only in for 10 days.

DD1 had bigger issues and was in NICU for longer.

But to see them both now you would never know they had struggled in the beginning. Fingers crossed it is the same for your little man.

MrsBri Wed 13-Feb-13 07:13:12

Bless him, something, such a difficult start. As Dysgu says though, he's in the very best place.

I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for him, and you too. xx

Kittenkatzen Wed 13-Feb-13 07:35:37

Wow what a dramatic entrance into the world for such a little dot! Really hope you get to see him today and hurrah for your midwife convincing the doc to let him have the colostrum. Lots of love to you both xx

tiredteddy Wed 13-Feb-13 08:16:07

Hi SOMETHING, I hope you will be seeing little Henry very soon and that you all had a good night with some sleep. Make sure that you rest as you've had a big op and that little baby needs his mummy nice and rested and healthy. I hope there's lots of friends and family rallying round with zac too. Take care xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.