Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Shagged Out Viroids 6th Thread! From Early Days to Ready To Pop - Proof that JSing really does work!

(1000 Posts)
WingDefence Thu 06-Dec-12 17:24:47

Hello and welcome to another shiny fred for Just Shagging graduates!

The last fred was nice and busy so fingers crossed we get lots more members grin

We've just moved over from the Shagged Out Viroids Volume 5 thread, where we finally found out that a 'viroid' is from the original JSing thread 1, where someone was trying to type ladies (in reference to all the JSing ladies), but their phone decided to call us all viroids instead!
The name stuck and we've been the JSing viroids ever since.

Our stats thread is here, so if you find us, please add your stats too.

There is also a Just Mumming thread for grads of the grads thread confused grin

And if you want to find out what Just Shagging is about or catch up with the undergrads go say hello to the Just Shaggers here, now on the 12th thread thanks

Hooya Tue 29-Jan-13 12:20:41

Good luck Pineapple!

Frog they probably won't know til a later scan, but they can guess from dates (1st day of last menstrual period) - my EDD is based on that but may change at my next scan, I guess.

something poor you and not enough sleep! Hope you get some rest soon.

7 weeks today and feeling better but still weird enough to know I am still pg grin DP has taken to calling me during the day and asking if I still feel pg and is everything ok, so cute!

Afternoon ladies. I'm 5 weeks today! Due Oct 2nd I reckon. A week behind you frog! I remember you from some other threads. Sore boobies at night that wake me up if i turn over in bed which is annoying, apart from that, just a pully feeling down there. Not looking forward to this sickness malarky some of you are suffering from! First child for me so don't know what to expect.

Phone for my first appointment yesterday and was told I will get a letter in the post with an appointment for when I'm 8-10 weeks! No quick advice session on what I should avoid taking, eating, doing etc. A bit miffed actually. I'm asthmatic so called them back and asked about my steriod inhalers, are they harmfull etc? They said try and reducing the dose! eh?! Has anyone else here from UK had to wait that long? Surely a first pregnacy, they would give me loads of info / advice early on?

Hoep all you Vommers feel better soon! x

WingDefence Tue 29-Jan-13 16:57:53

Hmm, no I think they pretty much leave you alone. Have you seen your GP? Usually they'll see you first off and then give you advice, get you in the system etc. And your GP should definitely be able to tell you about your steroids!

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 29-Jan-13 17:04:05

34, my GP's surgery won't see you before 8 weeks to book on (unless there's a problem) because of the high chance of the pg not working out.
You won't get any information/booklets from the GP either, you'll have to wait for your booking appointment for that!

pineapple, hope the interview went well!

hooya, hurrah for your caring DP! No <hooya> for him.
How are you finding being pg this time around, does it feel 'different' for you?
My symptoms were much worse with the mc, so although I thought early on 'well it feels different to a mc....' but would then think 'Arrrgh! But why don't I have all the symptoms' hmm

frog, I guess they're going from the earliest you can possibly be, just so they don't arrange everything around you being 8wks atm only to find they need to rebook when you're actually only 6wks.
Plus when you have your scan it would be nicer to know you're measuring 2wks later than you thought, instead of the panic of possibly measuring behind!

If you're reading this, do your pelvic floor exercises (thanks for the fb link Wing).

WingDefence Tue 29-Jan-13 17:22:13

<squeeze> confused
<relax> smile
<squeeze> confused
<relax> smile
<squeeeeeeeeeeze!> confused blush
grin

Kittenkatzen Tue 29-Jan-13 17:53:03

pink it seems to vary wildly from area to area - I got seen by the midwife at my gp surgery at 6wks. Before that appointment I had to collect a pregnancy pack from the surgery which was full of leaflets and info - I had to go to the appointment knowing where I wanted to give birth! Next Tuesday I've got my booking and bloods at the hospital - I'll be 8+5 then so to me, 8 weeks for just an initial registration seems really late confused but I guess it's just different everywhere.

Still no sickness for me, just tiredness and permanent hunger. And sore boobs, more so at night.

How do you know if your pelvic squeezes are working?!

Persuasion Tue 29-Jan-13 18:21:26

Hi all! I'm still lurking chronically because I can't keep up with this and the july thread! All going well here though and I'm 18 weeks today.

So congratulations to tired on the arrival of Fern (lovely name, unfortunately our surname would make it impossible) and welcome to all those who've joined since I last wrote grin

Oh, and thank you for the pelvic floor reminders, I'd never do it if it wasn't for MN reminding me!

34 i had my first appointment at 8 weeks, nothing before. If you are on steroids though and worried just make an appointment with your GP to discuss it. I wouldn't reduce them without discussing it, may be that the risk is bigger from you getting unwell with asthma than from the meds (depending on how the asthma affects you).

something (or anyone else willing to say, I know it's sensitive and you may not want to) how much money have you spent overall on baby before they're born? This is our first, and I have a spreadsheet blush and am trying to work out how much money we'll end up spending on beby essentials before the birth. Anyone have any helpful thoughts?

WingDefence Tue 29-Jan-13 18:48:43

Hi Persuasion! We are far easier to keep up with I'd imagine if you only have time for one fred wink

The one piece of advice I'd give you is hat many 'baby essentials' aren't actually essential. Eg you may not need a baby bath - friends of mine just used the sink with a hand towel wrapped round the tap!

Pineapple80 Tue 29-Jan-13 19:24:10

Thanks, I got the job! A contract till mid may which is perfect timing smile. I'm awake now for my very first day. Not having worked in 2 months now, it was a struggle waking up!! Bit thinking of the money I'll now earn for baby Pineapple is a good motivator grin.

I got seen at 8 wks for my booking in in London and saw GP at about 6-7 wks. GP does not do much other than send hospital referral really in my experience! In Oz they don't see me till just before 20 wks at hospital thru public health system! Was happy with it so far though....

MrsBri Tue 29-Jan-13 19:39:07

Yay, perfect timing Pineapple :-) Well done!

I was seen by my practice nurse to be referred to the midwives, then my booking in appt was at 10 weeks, which is standard up here. I don't really think there's much need to see anyone sooner as they can't do / tell you much! It all ramps up from 16 weeks onwards, which is just fine :-)

Baby B is kicking like a good 'un today! I imagine 'he'll' be quiet the next 2 days as he seems to have one mental day followed by two quiet ones. 20 week scan this time next week. Exciting times!

WingDefence Tue 29-Jan-13 19:43:49

Brilliant Pineapple!

Ooh not much longer till the Big Scan MrsBri grin

kitten I found that when I first started doing them this time round, only about a month ago, I could barely hold the squeezes for longer than 2 seconds. Now I can comfortably squeeze and hold for 15 seconds (I've just timed myself!). Don't do the 'pulsing' as much but I probably should now I can hold them for so long.

Dysgu Tue 29-Jan-13 21:08:51

I am sitting here 'clenching' - thanks for the reminder! I think I am generally okay - I always feel the trampoline is a test, not that I go on it now I am PG but everything 'stays in' when I bounce! I just need to set myself some form of reminder so I do them more regularly.

Does anyone have any opinions on TENS machines? We organised to rent one with DC1 but she arrived before it did so we cancelled it. Then we bought one with DC2 but she arrived so quickly that we never took it out of the box and I sold it. So what should we do this time?

Kittenkatzen Wed 30-Jan-13 07:30:27

Congrats on the job pineapple, perfect timing!

Well my pelvic floor seems to be in reasonably good shape, will try and remember to do them each time I'm on the train! grin

BelleEtLaBaby Wed 30-Jan-13 09:51:51

Phew - lots to catch up on so sorry if I forget bits!

PinkLady regarding asthma. I'm asthmatic too and only have 1 functioning lung following serious issues last year. I am still on steroid inhalers and was throughout my last pregnancy. Afaik they are totally safe as the dose is tiny and localised - it goes directly to the lung and barely enters the bloodstream at all. Your midwife doesn't see you until 8-9 weeks in most areas - as some have said, due to the high chance of something going wrong in the early weeks. They'd only be booking and then cancelling scans and so on, so generally they wait until 9 weeks, which gives time to book a scan but means the most risky time will have passed.

However, if you have medical conditions like asthma etc, you can just book a GP appointment at any time. I've got lots of medically managed stuff going on - I am asthmatic, one lung, I had multiple blood clots last year and I had serious Hyperemesis in my last pg. so I made a GP appointment at 5 weeks pg and got plenty of advice and all my meds updated. I have an asthma nurse appt next week anyway. I also went and got my flu jab.

My advice to first timers is not to rush things. It feels like nothing is happening at first, and you want to shout it from the rooftops, but pregnancy is loooooooong and (hopefully) quite dull in reality. I did no shopping at all in my first pg until I was 8 months (I couldn't as I couldn't leave the house and was in and out of hospital - and at one point we didn't think ds was going to make it so I couldn't bear to shop) and by the end of the pg when you are at home, the size of a house and bored witless, the shopping gives you something to do! You also know what other people are getting you by then. The PiL's surprised us with a lovely pram, my work bought us a tummy tub (can't recommend those enough btw), my mum wanted to get a crib. I don't think we spent more than a couple of hundred quid of our own money ( and that included clothes, mat clothes for me and about a million nappies). I'm really lucky though and know we got spoiled rotten. This time we have a budget and I will get things slowly over the months that need replacing (buggy upgrade etc).

Well, I'm signed off work already. The HG has kicked in again and I passed out on the stairs at work. All I can do is lay on the bed. Bugger. I was really hoping to escape it this time but no such luck sad

How we all feeling today?

BelleEtLaBaby Wed 30-Jan-13 09:57:18

Ps - who it was up thread who asked about tens machines? I loved mine in labour last time and wouldn't be parted from it. So much so that I refused the water/pool birth I'd originally planned as I'd have to give up the machine! I liked the focus it gave me, and a feeling of being in control if my pain - you hit a button when the contraction hits and it amps things up a bit, then dial it down between. You work up through the levels as you progress. I'll definately be using it again. They work best if you get it on in very early labour and use the low settings for quite a while. It's like a little buzzy sensation in your back and it distracts from the pain in a strange sort of way. I thought it was brilliant.

tiredteddy Wed 30-Jan-13 10:01:51

Hello all!

Ooh there's new people I don't recognise! Nice to meet you belle and pinklady

persuasion thanks for the compliment on Ferns name, I think it's a bit of a marmite name Loveit/ Hateit! It seems to go down with a wow or oh that's unusual grin her middle name is Matilda chosen by the boys after their favourite book.

wing good advice about pelvic floors, mines taken a battering now so am trying hard to do them.

pineapple yay about the job! That's just great news.

mrsbri not long at all until your 20 weeks scan. I'm sure someone's asked already but will you be finding out the sex?

dysgu I've never used a tens machine just had the trusty gas and air for my three labours. Yikes, I've actually given birth 3 times! Did you use any other pain relief with your other labours?

Hope you are feeling ok belle I've luckily never had HG it sounds truly horrid. Hope you can get some rest.

frogchops Wed 30-Jan-13 20:43:33

Sorry you're off work ding, I mean belle, what a bugger.
I've had my boob poke appt with the dr, and it was fine, he just fondled them a bit blush. He did say my wee smelt bad though so don't know what to think about that! He's gona do some tests on my wiffy wee.
Nasty man (although I know he's right really) told me how common mc is, and that it happens in lots of cases, I didn't really want to hear that.
Have my booking in in feb, when ill be 81/2 weeks.

MrsBri Wed 30-Jan-13 21:45:48

Hi tired...no, we are team yellow for Baby B. Unless baby reveals all to us and we don't have time to look away! We think boy though :-) He's been shifting round like a loon all night. Good job I'm not into sugary stuff else I'd get no rest!

Sorry you're ill, Belle, you've been through a lot, haven't you?

Frog, do you drink enough fluid? Does that have an effect on smelly wee?

frogchops Wed 30-Jan-13 21:58:14

Good thought mrs bri, I def don't drink enough. I've been making an effort to drink more, but its still prob only half what I'm meant to. (Before bfp I hardly drank anything) I think I'll drink a shed load before I take another wee sample tomorrow!! Can that make ur wee smell then?

MrsBri Wed 30-Jan-13 22:02:22

If your wee is very concentrated I imagine it would smell stronger than if you're very hydrated.

You MUST drink plenty now you're pregnant. Baby needs it and so do you. You need to make sure you produce enough amniotic fluid too.

frogchops Wed 30-Jan-13 22:19:13

Have just had more waterblush
No doubt it'll want to come out in the middle of the night.
Do I class that as fmu or collect my wee when I get up?

Hello, not able to properly read the Fred as I'm on my home in hospital. Ended up being whisked here by ambulance from gp surgery yesterday morning after passing out there. Been on a drip since, and having anti emetics through the canula. It's not so nice and had a dreadful sleep as the canula hurts, the drip thing keeps beeping and the nurses had to change it in the night sad I am seeing the consultant at some stage this morning and hoping I can go home as I miss my
DCs, my cat, dog and rabbits!

Kittenkatzen Thu 31-Jan-13 07:36:15

Oh no waves you poor thing, sending big hugs and thanks for you sad

Good job you were already in the doc surgery when you passed out. Hope they get you fixed up and sent home very soon.

frog I used to really struggle to drink enough - just didn't think Bout it half the time. I found that buying myself one of those funky bobble bottles to carry round with me really helped as I'm a sucker for a gadget and the novelty worked for me grin

MrsBri Thu 31-Jan-13 18:01:10

Oh no, waves. I hope the consultant had answers for you and you're back home now.

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 31-Jan-13 18:11:01

Oh, waves. Is it Hyperemesis?

Anti emetics by IV are like magic. They should give you some tablets to take home. If you're being sick a lot, ask for buccal tablets as they dissolve in the mouth and are easier to keep down. I was in hosp at about your stage last time but have been on antiemetics since the start this time in a bid to avoid hospital. Hugs x

This thread is not accepting new messages.