Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2013.....we're halfway there! (Part 5)

(1000 Posts)
bunnygirl80 Sun 02-Dec-12 01:50:50

Our newest home!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

edinfirst Sat 12-Jan-13 22:47:35

Hello ladies, I have started a new thread for us here

Ollibobs Sat 12-Jan-13 21:38:45

Thinking of you and your baby Floss...

Flosshilde Sat 12-Jan-13 21:11:42

Thanks all for your kind words.

I have been examined again and still at 1cm so I have been allowed off the monitor overnight unless the contractions ramp up again. DH has gone home now and it is quietish despite being on a ward with three others.

Jacqueline - I have had tightenings since 22 weeks on and off including another spell in hospital last week so I knew it was coming. Hopefully you will go to term this time.

steph2412 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:45:54

Floss thinking of you at this difficult time but at least in in the best place xx

bunnygirl80 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:23:12

angel I gained hardly anything until I hit the third trimester and then suddenly gained about 4kg over a two week period nothing to do with excess Christmas chocolate consumption at all I know I'm retaining a lot of fluid so I think the sudden jump has a lot to do with that rather than actual fat gain.

mumto I do have a little chuckle at threads worrying about how to cope with pg/a new baby in the UK summer. I've started taking DS swimming lots, it helps my pelvis and gets us out of the heat. I tried lying in his paddling pool the other day, but the sun heated the water up to something resembling a warm bath after about an hour......might keep in mind for when I'm in early labour though as our bath is quite small grin

flosshilde hope everything's ok and baby decides to stay put for as long as possible

JaquelineHyde Sat 12-Jan-13 19:34:03

shock Floss fingers crossed the baby is too comfortable to come out straight away.

This makes me panic as my DS was born at 34 weeks and I have been worrying about this one being prem but keep getting told not to think about it too much.

Good luck keep us posted!

Also holding out for an update from Mama and Alexander.

SneezySnatcher Sat 12-Jan-13 19:22:20

Thinking of you Floss

enjay0811 Sat 12-Jan-13 19:16:26

Fx floss hope baby stays put as long as possible!

Thoughts still with mama and Alexander too, keep checking for an update!

Jst booked a short break via the Sun holidays. Went to cornwall a few yrs ago and it was lovely so decided to book again but only dates tht came up were start of June. If baby arrives on time, will b about 6 wks old. Bit scared now I've booked the blinking thing, anyone else taken baby this small on caravan holiday?! confused

Fluffeh Sat 12-Jan-13 19:15:24

Happy birthday miss muffet!

Oh floss I hope your baby holds on a while longer xx.

jojo020780 Sat 12-Jan-13 19:12:00

I can't say I bothered too much with cotton wool either. Maybe for a bout two days lol.

I'm getting heartburn too and have found in the past thick custard (tin or ready made) works a treat as it coats well xxxxxx

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 12-Jan-13 17:54:16

Oh Blimey floss! I hope baby stays put for a bit but if not I hope all goes ok with the labour. Update us when you can.

toobreathless Sat 12-Jan-13 17:47:49

Flosshilde just popping in to send you lots of positive thoughts & hoping your baby stays put for a bit longer. Every day counts.

Flosshilde Sat 12-Jan-13 17:25:15

Hello all.

I have been lurking on this thread more than anything but popping on to let you know I am in hospital, 1cm dilated and likely to deliver in the next couple of days. I am 29 weeks on Monday so it is another SCBU slog for us; my DS was born at 33 weeks. I thought I might have another premmie but not quite this early.

I have nothing prepared at all - DH is being sent into the loft for steriliser, prem clothes, breast pads etc and out to buy nursing bras and a new breast pump.

My DS was very upset when he came to see me earlier which broke my heart. Poor thing has no idea what is going on.

28 + 5

Trishstar Sat 12-Jan-13 17:21:27

Happy Birthday miss muffet!

These are the changing bags I like

www.iltutto.co.uk/shop/item/nico-tote

And

www.babymel.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=33

xx

Dysgu Sat 12-Jan-13 16:38:13

Happy Birthday Missmuffet

JaquelineHyde that is a fabulous bag although for me personally, I would hate it if a had to put in a bag of pooey clothes or a bottle of formula spilt in it!

I am also hoping to BF - although have planned to do so each time but only ever made it to the due dates before giving up. Each time I had to take medication to increase my milk and it just got to a stage where I wasn't making enough, eveing with round the clock pumping whilst DDs were still in hospital. Anyway, third time lucky, we hope. i hated the idea when I was PG with DD1 but each time once the baby arrives it feels like the right things to try. I am planning on buying the tommee tippee bottles in the Asda event though as they are £10 instead of £25 and I figure I can sell them on if BF works out this time.

I have had an absolutely horrendous 24 hours. I have psoriatic arthristis which flares up in different joints and has totally taken out my right arm, shoulder and hand. Then my SPD has been awful, especially in my left hip so I have been practically crippled since yesterday afternoon. Painkillers, bed rest and a pain pen (bit like a portable TENS system I use) have managed to keep the tears away (mostly) but I have been useless. DP went to the mainland early this morning to pick up our new car and I had to get my sisters to help with DDs as they had activities and I just couldn't move. Do caught early ferry home so he has taken the girls out in the new car.

Hoping to get him to help me into the bath once they come home.

And DD1 (aged 6) has been fabulous - she wants to be a vet but would make a great nurse/carer. She thinks of everything I might need and sorted out my bedside table yesterday with everything I might want - drink, snack, tablets, books etc. I am a bit sad that they should see me like this and I hate it when I end up crying in front of them, but it has been lovely to see what a caring little person she is!

Silver lining and all that!

JaquelineHyde Sat 12-Jan-13 15:56:49

Happy Birthday Missmuffet! Enjoy every second.

26+2

JaquelineHyde Sat 12-Jan-13 15:53:00

Olli I don't have a support belt because none of them fit me properly so I can't be aby help. Sorry.

However, general shopping I can help with grin

So lets talk changing bags...I am seriously thinking about getting the Elizabeth from StorkSak.

It is massively more expensive than I had ever thought about but it would be the only thing I really splurge on, it could be my normal everyday bag and my Christmas present.

What do you all think...Yay or Nay? Or do you have any better suggestions?

lutrinae Sat 12-Jan-13 15:29:38

Happy birthday missmuffet! Mine's on Sunday smile

lutrinae Sat 12-Jan-13 15:27:21

Thanks aufaniae

I do already feel quite tired and achey, and my commute's an hour and a half involving walk + bus + tube + train + walk!

But yes, on the plus side I could probably book annual leave last minute if needed, as long as there weren't too many on my team away.

No, no mortgage sadly as we rent. Also neither of us can drive. Having a baby is definitely the most grown up thing DP or I have ever done. And I'm 32!

My work does offer 13 weeks statutory pay after the 6 months full pay but I can't for the life of me work out how much this is or whether it would leave us with more or less than if I worked and we paid for childcare. Maths is not my strong point, and my HR dept couldn't give me a figure either.

PandaOnAPushBike Sat 12-Jan-13 15:20:16

Jacqueline I've lost a lot of weight too, approximately 2 stone. Like you I have a lot to lose though. I haven't been sick or anything. It's just down to changes in appetite and stomach being squished.

24 + 4

Missmuffet28 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:43:16

Olibobs I plan on doing bf too but also got some bottles just incase I bought tommeetippee ones they came with the newborn slow flow teats but I guess it depends on the bottles you buy I didn't think to look at the rest, boots baby club is just a load of vouchers money off etc free changing bag when u buy pack of nappies which I have got for dp so that I can get a girlie one without feeling guilty lol!!

Ooh and this is a bit me me but happy birthday to me grin
Only a year away from 30 now tho eek lol!!

Ollibobs Sat 12-Jan-13 12:40:18

Thanks for all the supportive messages yesterday. I was feeling so low and reading your words really perked me up. Thank you.

Went to work yesterday and eventually managed to see the office physio. She gave me a plan of very gentle strengthening exercises, a special band to hold my legs together (so when relaxed they only fall hip width apart) and said I should work from home Monday - Wednesday next week to see if it helps settle what she thinks might be a flare up. It was such a relief.

Then, to make things even better, a woman in another department (the head boss's office so to speak) saw me shuffling around and arranged for a car to take me home last night after work as she said I shouldn't be on public transport in that condition. All the way from Central London to where I live in West Sussex! It was a life saver.

So now, I am on bed rest and my lovely DH is taking great care of me.

A question for the other SPD/PGP sufferers - which support belt is best at Mothercare? I saw ones for £12 and £30... I sent DH for the £12 one yesterday as I thought that was the only one on offer, but he came home saying there was one with all the bells and whistles for a bit more - but that he didn't want to come home with the wrong one. Which do you prefer?

Loving all the shopping talk. I think I might do a bit of online shopping to pass the time. It seems like January is a good time for baby events... Btw - does anyone know what the Boots Baby Club is?

Also, I'm planning to breast feed, but want to have some bottles on hand just in case. But the thing I can't figure out is when you buy bottles, do they come with teats or do you have to buy them separately? Also, how many do you need?

Wow. That was a long one! Sorry!

aufaniae Sat 12-Jan-13 12:11:30

Have any of you seen this: Motherhood rap?

OK, I know it's an ad (sorry!) but a good bit of silliness IMO grin

usernamegoeshere Sat 12-Jan-13 12:03:14

Am feeling a bit brighter today, my GP gave me co-dydramol which I took last night & within a very short time I was able to stand up & walk around without feeling like a 100 year old women. It was such a relief even just to get a small break from pain. Am not planning on taking them too often but having the option on days where I have a lot to do is great. I hope the other SPD sufferers can get a bit of relief too.

My sinuses are blocked from my cold & quite sore/headachey but again, I know that sinusitis is temporary so am feeling optimistic!

I'm quite looking forward to exploring all these baby events at the supermarkets. Also there is an NCT sale near me on 26th Jan so quite excited to get going with all my shopping! Probably aiming for bedding/matress (we have a hand me down moses basket now) and car seat from baby events (& nappys ofc!) then a sling from NCT sale.

27+1

aufaniae Sat 12-Jan-13 11:43:46

lutrinae you do what suits you.

I had originally planned 2 weeks mat leave last time, but made it earlier in the end as I found I was getting really tired. My body was telling me loudly to slow down! There's absolutely no way I could have gone to work the last week. I had to ask my sister to come round to mine to help me sort through stuff, it was beyond me - I was having problems standing up for any length of time!

A good friend of mine on the other hand had loads of energy throughout her pregnancy, and she worked right up till just a week before her EDD.

I would say though, you do need a back-up plan if you find you're not coping. Don't ignore to your body if it's telling you it needs to rest! (And this is a real possibility.) You need your strength for labour and the first few weeks.
Would your work be flexible if you needed to take more time off at short notice?

Slightly tangental, but have you got a mortgage? If so, do you know if they give mortgage holidays for mat leave? Ours did and this allowed me to take a year off - would have been 6 months otherwise.

This thread is not accepting new messages.