Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Jan 2013 Part 5: Once we pop (on time!), we just won't stop!

(986 Posts)

New thread! I've lost my lovely spreadsheet <sob> so if someone can add in the stats and update, that would be wonderful; I'm sure someone else had a spreadsheet that was as anally organised as me

pmgkt Tue 27-Nov-12 18:31:54

Apart from some aches, it seems like a good news day!

newbie6 Tue 27-Nov-12 19:04:57

Yay! Great news birdies, so pleased smile

Has anyone else suffering from the cold been taking honey and lemon strepsils? I have taken some and now just read that you shouldn't take if pregnant, yikes? Have obviously stopped taking them now but a bit worried I may have caused harm although baby seems active so should i just relax or do you think I should call MW?

I'm such an idiot!

X

glorious Tue 27-Nov-12 19:07:16

Hooray for birdies, what great news. Glad everything was ok for you too, octane. We are all so nearly there smile

Birdies Tue 27-Nov-12 19:18:44

I know, just a few weeks until the first babba arrives (unless any early ones)!

newbie I've had Strepsils. I can't think what would harm the baby from them but I guess if it says not to have them then best not to. I doubt your midwife would be worried, expect she will just say to keep an eye on movements. Phone if it makes you feel better though. The worst that happens is she thinks you're over-worrying but who cares what she thinks.

Tugstonia Tue 27-Nov-12 19:26:45

Hooray birdies! Such a relief smile Glad all ok with you too octane

Can i ask anyone who's recently had a scan if the sonographer/doctor mentioned anything about your placenta ageing/maturing/calcifying? Last week at my scan the doc said mine was showing signs of calcification and despite saying it was completely normal for this stage of gestation and not to worry etc, I am of course now worrying about what this could mean... On the scan report it said the placenta was Grannum Grade 2 and the calcification scale apparently goes up to grade 3. So really I'm just wondering if anyone's experienced this as well and can reassure me it is in fact all ok and to stop bloody fretting for no reason?!

Birdies Tue 27-Nov-12 19:38:54

Hey tugs, I did a little google (obv i'm a medical expert now after spending the last few days researching about small heads!!) and 2 sounds very normal for this stage of pregnancy. I think if it was 3 they would just give you extra scans to check the function. So 2 seems fine to me. But phone midwife if you want more reassurance - I used to never bother anyone with questions in case they thought I was fussing but I'm past caring about that now. Can't think you need to worry about it though.

Tugstonia Tue 27-Nov-12 19:43:23

Thanks so much birdies. I'm sure it is all fine, I'm just a born worrier! I'm having another scan at 36 weeks anyway (thyroid related) so I'll guess they'll see if it's any more calcified then and if so will deal with it. Really need to learn to CHILL OUT! And you're right about asking midwife as well.

Berniebennett Tue 27-Nov-12 19:55:23

not all good news today....

I had an appointment with a midwife and consultant today (have transferred hospitals) and they checked everything and i got a cheeky extra growth scan. Always nice. But it has been flagged that I am on track to having a big baby all measurements are between 50 -90th P the top end of the scale, apart from the stomach which is above 90th P :-(. They have now referred me to have a GD check as a precaution as at one of my appointments i had sugar in my Urine.

Apart from that though baby is all healthy - breech with legs extended though. So i have been given the C - Section info booklet but fingers crossed he swivels around.

pmgkt Tue 27-Nov-12 20:15:53

bernie how many weeks are you, ds1 didnt turn till at least 34 weeks. i know i have said it loks but scrub the floor, worked last time and this. and you get a nice clean floor too. but also a section isnt so bad so try not to worry about all the horror stories people like to share.

Pascha Tue 27-Nov-12 20:47:04

Brilliant mrs Birdies so pleased for you. I knew it would be fine.

Bernie DS was extended breech until I had him turned by ECV at 37 weeks. I second all the scrubbing floors advice and do lots of forward inversions, that cam help too.

Pascha Tue 27-Nov-12 20:56:59

Now I have a TMI alert:

I felt a lump in my labial area in the bath tonight, like a boil, so i went looking close up in the mirror and what did I see? A heaving mass of varicose veins around my fanjo shock that's what! angry

Birdies Tue 27-Nov-12 21:16:41

Sorry pascha, I couldn't help laughing out loud when I read that! Hehehehe. Still laughing. Ok sorry, well I can laugh cos I've got them on my legs and this pregnancy they've got much worse. I'm sure I read that fanjo ones go away after pregnancy though whereas I'll still be left with my leg ones <goes away to look in mirror and check no fanjo ones have appeared>

bernie I think newbie's baby is on 95th centile and I think that's quite a healthy weight and people say bigger babies are often easier to get out. Im sure someone here has GD too. I hate growth scans now though, they cause more worry than they're worth and are often proven to be wrong.

tinyeyes123 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:30:48

Well, I've had a weekend to remember! Had period type pains on Saturday morning and went to triage to get them checked out. Turned out I was in early labour and ended up having our daughter today! They tried all they could to slow down the contractions but there was no holding her back. She weighs 4lb5oz and will be in NICU for a couple of weeks at least. All very overwhelming but she seems well enough for a 33 weeker. Crazy times! Pretty hellish delivery (3 1/2 days contracting, forceps, 3rd degree tear!) But she's worth it!

newbie6 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:35:07

Hi Bernie, I'm a type 1 diabetic so not the same as GD but I guess GD can also produce bigger babies. My baby is on the 95th percentile but I'm told as long as he doesn't go way above or below not to worry as still deemed normal? I agree with birdies though and am sure they say scans are never 100% accurate anyway so try not to worry too much. Just try and eat healthy etc and I'm sure by keeping an eye on you and baby at your hospital, everything will be okay. X

newbie6 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:39:42

Congratulations tinyeyes! Sorry to hear your birthing experience was difficult but lovely to hear of the safe arrival of your daughter, have you chosen her name yet? Well done to you and hope you are being well taken care of! Xxx

Congratulations, tinyeyes and welcome to the world, babytiny!

happyhow Tue 27-Nov-12 23:22:45

Congrats Tiny. Glad she's doing well although not so great about the birth...

I've spent the entire evening doing work... Thank god I'm off from tomorrow lunchtime apart from next Weds when I'm going in to tie up loose ends - been told not to teach and just ensure that handover materials are ready. I don't think I've ever done so much work at home as I have done this year. Guess it'll only be worse when I go back part-time and have a baby to entertain as well as a hubby...
Pregnancy brain struck again and I forgot to bring home all the notes that I needed for my final lesson with my Advanced Higher class tomorrow. Oops. Thankfully, most of what I had to write about was in my degree so managed to do quite a bit from memory. Quite remarkable really...

Pascha I know we shouldn't laugh but your description was hilarious!! From what I've read, they go after birth but can be really sore and uncomfortable. Hope your's isn't too bad at the moment... blush

djvesi Wed 28-Nov-12 01:25:32

Congrats Tiny!! Keep us posted as to your progress! Have you given her a name yet? I bet she is absolutely gorgeous. Hope you both recover quickly from the delivery and feel 100% again in no time.

woody2313 Wed 28-Nov-12 06:21:12

Wow - congratulations Tiny - our first baby! grin Hope you are ok and getting over the shock. Glad the baby is doing well.

sanam2010 Wed 28-Nov-12 06:38:57

Congratulations Tiny, how exciting!! I hope your little one is doing well in NICU and you get to cuddle her a lot and people are taking good care of you!!

tinyeyes123 Wed 28-Nov-12 07:03:07

Thanks guys! She's Megan. Feels very surreal being on the postnatal ward with no baby but kind of good as it gives me a chance to get my head around it and sleep. Now just need to get the builders finished at home and buy some baby stuff! The last few days have been beyond mental!

djvesi Wed 28-Nov-12 07:09:18

Tiny, sleep is goooood. You both need it. :-) Welcome to Megan!!!

PricklyPickle Wed 28-Nov-12 07:21:46

Congratulations tiny so glad your little one is doing well. Megan is a lovely name.

I can't believe we have our first baby of the thread already!

pascha you did make me chuckle. I've no idea what's going on down there but I'm certainly not going to look now shock

In other news i have 2 more days of work left. It really hasn't sunk in that I'll be off for a year, seems like I'm just going on holiday.

Pascha Wed 28-Nov-12 08:32:28

Oh wow Tiny, Congratulations flowers! Welcome to little Megan. I hope you have her home soon.

Pascha Wed 28-Nov-12 08:37:14

I wasn't really aware of them before last night, IYSWIM, although now I think about it, last few weeks I've felt a bit throbby down there after sex. Now I know why, all that extra blood flow swelling the blood vessels. I imagine the hot bath had a similar effect...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now