Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Jan 2013 Part 5: Once we pop (on time!), we just won't stop!

(986 Posts)

New thread! I've lost my lovely spreadsheet <sob> so if someone can add in the stats and update, that would be wonderful; I'm sure someone else had a spreadsheet that was as anally organised as me

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 23-Nov-12 11:37:50

Pascha - same here. DD (3.3) decided that she wanted to moan and turn all night in her cot. Thing is, our building work has started over 10 days ago, and we've been crashing at friends. DD has of course upped her feral-ness for the occasion. She ended up in the bed with us, moaning for her milk all night, kicking me, and twirling my hair (which I hate).

I had an antenatal appointment the other day, and did not realise that I am now 34 weeks - which means the baby will be there in 5 weeks (ELCS). At the moment, we have no kitchen, no bathroom, nothing. Ah ah. This spurred me on to go and buy the bits and bobs I had not yet bothered with (I am persuaded that most of the baby stuff will be in a box somewhere - just need to find said boxes!)
We therefore headed to mothercare to buy whale-sized maternity pads and bed mats, breastpads etc. I had forgotten how nursing clothes are vile - it nearly drove me to the edge last time, and I ended up burning the lot in pure hatered once DD stopped being BF.

I cannot face another year of BFing in horrible gear. Not possible. Can you guys help me source some nice looking, not too pricey nursing clothes (I also need to be back at work after 16 weeks, so said clothes need to be ok for work - smart casual type of stuff)??? please?

Grim grim grim

CreepyCrawly Fri 23-Nov-12 11:48:33

How frightening for you Bunny. Hope you're alright today and your glucose test results are good.

Thinking of you birdies, hope you managed to get some sleep.

I picked up my fembrace this morning and I'm relieved to say its not like a giant nappy. Pretty comfortable so far, I'm going to see if I can Hoover now without crying! Wish me luck!

Also had an early finish from work today as one of my ladies didn't want to be seen. So that gives me 8 work days left, plus a three hour child protection course. Counting down the minutes!!

Birdies I hope you are ok today, I've been thinking of you. I hope you are ok Bunny too.

I think I'm in denial about how soon it will be that the baby is going to be here...eight weeks seems like it may as well be next June! I did do 'baby shopping' this week and don't have so much else to buy now. I have a midwife appointment this afternoon, I'm seriously thinking about a homebirth. In fact I think I will request one and can always go to hospital if I prefer in the moment. I just need to get my iron up as it's on the borderline of being too low.

salt1 Fri 23-Nov-12 12:15:07

i am in a right asrsy grumpy mood, possibly due to disturbed sleep (cramp in legs during the night over the last week), am mostly annoyed about last nights ante natal class as half was spent talking about nutrition in pregnancy which i thought was a waste of time as this info was given at booking in appointment and at 7/8 months pregnant is a bit late now. not sure why it has irritated me so much though ...

CreepyCrawly Fri 23-Nov-12 12:39:19

Update: hoovering is still extremely painful!

I think that'd annoy me too salt.

Salt At my 'refresher' ante-natal class on Tuesday there were five of us. We sat around and chatted about ourselves, previous labours and our children. That was the session. The 'instructor' barely said two words. There are three sessions of which that was one and the third is about breastfeeding. All for the bargain price of £50. I enjoyed the chatting and liked the ladies but it wasn't an ante-natal refresher class.

salt1 Fri 23-Nov-12 12:56:15

thanks creepy and spring, it was just so disappointing as last one was really good. secong half was on pain relief which was good, but could have easily taken up the whole 2 hours. i can think of so many better things to do with an hour than to discuss the sugar content of fruit and bloody fibre. dh said it was really good, which annoyed me more as i have telling him the reason i cannot eat brie for the last 7 months.

SquealyB Fri 23-Nov-12 14:00:03

Hi all

Sorry to have been off grid for the week - I missed you all! Work has been ridiculously busy and there is nothing like a couple of mid-night fininshes to make you long for the start of maternity leave. My body clearly rebelled and on Thursday I slept through my alarm and woke up at 10.30 and had a meeting at 11 (ARG!). All good though and TFI Friday.

Keep telling myself it is only 4 weeks to Christmas and then I am only back from 2 to 11 January...I can do that right??!

Bunny and Birdies sounds like you are both having worrying times. Birdies I totally understand your concern and sounds like your decision to have a private scan is a good one, totally worth the money if it provides more info/reassurance. Bunny hope widget stays put and no more scares.

Pascha - don't suppose your DH's family are Irish. Mine are and that sounds like one of our familt funerals wink.

Thanks for all the comments re. mural it is just amazing. I love it and it reminds me of a bit of Richmond Park which is just by us. Hope everyone else's prep. plans are going well. It is pay day today I have decided to splash out on a pacapod......its for the baby so it is totally fine to spend £120 on a glorified handbag right??? wink

happyhow Fri 23-Nov-12 14:15:30

I'm just off the phone with the midwife as had some pinkish/red blood when I went to the loo. Was just a little bit of a shock!! Baby is moving lots and I've got no pain so she's said just to keep an eye on it for this afternoon/evening and if I get more or it's heavier I've to phone labour ward... Got the 6th year dance tonight so hubby has said he'll stay sober just in case we have to go anywhere.

Got my tickets for Gary Barlow this morning so I'm VERY happy! I'm just ignoring the fact that the gig is 4 days after my due date but if I'm late the excitement of seeing him might kick start things!

I'm off to get a nice drink and sit on the sofa all afternoon in the hope that there's no more blood and it's just due to the very busy week I've had...

dieciocho Fri 23-Nov-12 14:40:14

Mara, I could do with similar advice on non-vile breastfeeding tops! I'm going back to work after 18 weeks and the tops my lovely friends have lent me are...just...hideous. I'm thinking about shirts that I can unbutton; that'd work, right?

Complicated24 Fri 23-Nov-12 14:44:03

happyhow and Bunny poor you. Hope you can both rest today and have a relaxing weekend.

Happyhow so jealous about Gary Barlow concert. He has definitely got better with age and is the reason I still watch the XFactor. If that doesn't induce labour, nothing will!

Had NHS scan and saw Consultant this morning and was told baby's weight was fine and I was on track to have a healthy baby at 39 weeks (will be induced then). We had private scan earlier this week and were told baby's weight was below 5th percentile. So I have now decided not to get hung up on measurements, weights etc as they don't make sense to me. The message we keep on being told is that baby is healthy and is getting everything it needs from me. I can feel lots of movement so am going to chill out and try and enjoy this final stage of pregnancy. I'm now on maternity leave and am going to meet friends for lunch and enjoy having some me time before me time is a distant memory. We've got a completely free weekend (first one in months) and are going to have some lovely coupley time (it's our wedding anniversary on 29th), sort out nursery and maybe even fall asleep watching a Sunday afternoon film - bliss. Hope you all have fun, stress free weekends.

Will update list on Monday, so let me know if there are any further updates/omissions etc. I have made the changes already provided and will post on threat on Monday.

happyhow Fri 23-Nov-12 14:48:15

Can my age be updated, complicated? I'm 27 now

allchik Fri 23-Nov-12 16:32:00

ITS FRIIIIIIIIIIDAY!!!!!!!!!!
Thank God for that! I have pretty much lost my voice all together now....have had 3 classes babck to back teaching sex ed to year 9 (condom demonstrations so they were all bonkers!) and then stayed behind to help year 11 with college applications.......now sat in my classroom waiting for the hubby to pick me up.

complicated this is my first free wknd in ages (and last till babies here!) too, so am planning on lolling on the sofa in pj's watching TV and eating crap!

Squealy I looked at them bags too.....theres some lush ones and def nice enough to use after....a very good purchase ;)

Can i ask a Christmas cheese related question? Stilton....do you or don't you? i love blue cheese but thought it was on the 'no' list, but NHS says stilton is ok as long as its hard cheese, but other people say no?

Its a weird one as have been having runny eggs, (little bit of)alcohol and med steak....but have gone the whole pregnancy without pate and brie/goats cheese/stilton.....Dunno why really, guess its cus I wouldn't eat them throughout the year, but would murder some at Crimbo.....just wondered your thoughts?

Happy weekends everyone xxxx

happy am very jealous! I love love mr Barlow he's just so lovely! Hope you don't have anymore bleeding x

birdies and bunny sorry to hear of your worries. Sounds like you are being well looked after tho. Hope the rest of the pg goes smoothly with no more worries. I am on the other side and see so little of the medical profession sometimes I think I've been forgotten! I worry that things could be missed.

complicated could you add my age to list I'm 32. Wish I was 22 being pg was a lot easier then!

It's wierd everyone now getting to maternity leave that must mean we are all nearly there to meet our babies! There is a baby boom at our school at the mo. 3 babies have arrived in the last 6 weeks and 3 more due in the near future (that's just the reception class)!

bealos Fri 23-Nov-12 17:44:54

allchik it's up to you on the cheese front! I've not taken much notice of the recommendations as my research into listeria (the reason they say not to eat those cheeses, for example) has shown very very few cases from those sources and more from 'non banned' foods such as bagged salad.

p.s. complicated I am now 35. I know. Mid thirties. Gosh.

MamaMary Fri 23-Nov-12 19:29:48

newbie sympathies with the sore throat. I've been living on honey and lemon drinks for the past few weeks. Fresh lemon squeezed into a cup, add a dessert spoon of honey and then just boiled water. It's pretty good if you can be bothered to add ginger too. Honey has healing properties and it is soothing.

Complicated, couldn't agree more about the joys of a free weekend. Mine will be spent resting as much as possible!

Birdies Fri 23-Nov-12 21:08:15

Hope you're ok bunny and happy

complicated that's great news about your scan and gives me hope about mine! Have decided to try not to assume the worst before anyone's even told me I need to (like you said before though I guess going through traumatic stuff baby-wise before makes us more nervy about things this time around).

And I think it is possible to move up and down the percentiles, if I'd had such a drop in less weeks I'm sure that would be worse but over 14 weeks maybe not so bad. Bloody scans though, more trouble than they're worth.

Re antental classes, I did the NCT ones last time and i don't feel like we learnt much at all, just a way to make friends who will have babies of the same age. I liked going though, I miss it a bit this time round.

Have lovely weekends everyone

newbie6 Fri 23-Nov-12 21:41:43

mamamary thanks for the tip re honey and lemon, have been taking it but due to me being type 1 diabetic I need to watch the honey doesn't raise my blood sugars too much...the joys! Still feel rubbish today, can't stop coughing and I thought my ribs hurt before...well they certainly do now...grrr! Wish this cold would go away!

Glad your scan went well complicated, hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

squealyB, I bought the pacapod too and think its fab, I think mine was £85 though so maybe slightly different to yours but love that everything has its own wee space and you can clip and unclip different parts as I love to be organised so def appeals to my nature....oh yes and it's lovely too so can't wait to use it, hee hee!

X

PricklyPickle Fri 23-Nov-12 22:58:59

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm dead jealous about the Gary Barlow show happy he's lovely. I've been to two shows in central London this week, they were both seated though, and there was no moshing. I found it quite tiring but this is probably our last opportunity to go out to this type of thing for a while.

I've now got 4 days left of work. My last day is Thursday, but I'm taking annual leave until my due date which is new years eve. I feel quite ready to stop work now, although I don't know what I'm going to do with myself until I pop. Feeling sorry for those of you who have a few weeks of work left. I've also got this sore throat/cold lurgy that has been going around, I think its finally going now. The sore throat was really nasty, so my sympathies.

Sending out happy thoughts to those of you feeling worried especially bunny and birdies please remember its natural to worry so don't feel bad, it seems to me as if the doctors aren't particularly concerned and they wouldn't take chances over things like this. Every baby is different, they come in all different shapes and sizes and these measurements aren't as precise as they'd like us to think.

Lora1982 Sat 24-Nov-12 00:26:14

just got back from a work party.... first time ive seen midnight in months!! been stressing a bit cos my friend was rushed into hospital cos he was knocked off his motorbike by a lorry so his bones are in bits....

when i go and see him next week i will advise my disgust at the length hes gone to to compete with my matarnity leave/holiday :-D

Tugstonia Sat 24-Nov-12 09:09:13

Morning all

Had growth scan yesterday and bubs seems to have grown lots in the last 4 weeks, which is good. I also seem to have grown lots - they weighed me and I have put on a spectacular 20kg since I first found out I was pregnant shock. The doctor seemed quite concerned about this (as am I!) because 'normal' weight gain during pregnancy is 15kg and I still have 8 weeks left, so I'm having another scan at 36 weeks. I definitely feel like I've put on weight but not that much, as in I've gone from a size 12 to a size 14. Baby's predicted birth weight is 8lb 10 at the moment, though I know that's often not remotely accurate. DP is a big man and his sister had two humungous babies (13lb and 11lb), whereas I was 7lb and my siblings were all between 6lb and 8lb when we were born. Only other thing is some calcification of my placenta, mostly likely caused by the bleeding I've been having, but the doc said it was all normal for my stage of gestation and nothing to worry about. Not allowing myself to go near Dr Google.

Also had first NCT class yesterday and it was much better than I thought it would be. Great facilitator and really lovely group.

Hope everyone's ok, have a fab weekend! smile

octanegirl Sat 24-Nov-12 09:50:46

Hello! Well I went to see Skyfall last night (was fab) and managed to spend the whole film without having to pee (even though I needed to!). That was a huge result.... though had to battle through the hordes of teenage girls watching Twilight.....

bealos Sat 24-Nov-12 10:33:08

octane Skyfall is brilliant isn't it!? Lots of insane Bond style fantasy. I managed to cross my legs and wait til the end too - didn't want to miss a bit!

godzookey Sat 24-Nov-12 10:58:32

Morning Ladies,

Sooo happy it's the weekend - and only 15 working days left thank Christ! Bournemouth was a nightmare and the meeting wasn't particularly productive and now have had another massive project dumped on my lap which i'm not happy about.

My boss told me on Thursday that she's 11 weeks PG with twins - whilst i'm happy for her, I would have expected A HELL of a lot more empathy i.e. not forcing an 8 month pregnant woman to get up at 6am to get to Bournemouth for a meeting at 10am, so whilst i congratulated her, i certainly didn't gush!!!

God that makes me sound horrible, but I always thought she was bone idle before she told me she was PG, thank god i'm off, as the rest of the team will be even more snowed under now as she'll be doing even less work than normal.. if humanly possible!!

I'll stop being bitter now and focus on the positives smile - it's the weekend, HOORAY!!!!

Brugmansia Sat 24-Nov-12 11:16:14

allchik I will be eating Stilton and probably lots of it. I've been taking a very relaxed approach to the food guidelines though and eating all types of cheese anyway so you may wish to ignore my approach.

I had to have a glucose tolerance test this week which was fine, but apparently they'll automatically refer me for one next time I'll pregnant (if there is a next time).

I have 4 weeks left at work and can't wait.One my colleagues is the same so we have been giving each other lots of moral support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now