Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2013 VIII: feeling kicks, comparing knits and halfway there

(982 Posts)
theTramp Sat 03-Nov-12 23:24:19
Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 07:52:22

em elements of attachment parent appeal to me/ we do but I'm not sure it's entirely conductive to working/more than one child. That could just be how ive seen other people do it though as anyone I know that use it as their 'method' has one child and is a SAHM.

mandasand Fri 23-Nov-12 09:02:46

Just a quick hello from me as I try to finish prep for big annual project meeting in London. My database presentation is going to be something of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants affair, but best I can do in the circs.

Like others, feeling knackered, weepy, sore hips, not enough sleep and my bump really, really hurts. Pains and aches - boo! Right, off to finish prep, shower, and try to look happier and a little less like a struggling pregnant lady smile

Hope everyone else's days go well.

zoeymlucas Fri 23-Nov-12 10:02:28

Morning - I didnt catch up last night as decided I wanted to finish the drape on the crib which I have done now just the finishing touches like a little bow, ties for the bumper. Was VERY pleased with and DH come up stairs and said he still aint sure on the material, how I managed to not kung Fu Kick him in the man bits I will never know - I was that angry I didnt cry which at the moment happens ALOT!

Got to work this morning and someone had made me a coffee and bought me a Mars milkshake (amazing for heartburn) so was a happpy bunny until my boss asked if he could have some of my bread for toast as I was fat enough!! Luck for him he is only in the office part of the day - he tried to back track that he meant pregnant and glowing but that was more down to the look of death I gave him!

Sorry to hear your suffering Amanda

JoJoBella84 Fri 23-Nov-12 10:32:55

Morning ladies, I've been in a bit of a sleep deprived grump for the last few days and generally achy and blergh so I've avoided the thread to spare you all!
Anyway, I seem to have marginally more energy today and have been for my 28wk MW/consultant check up this morning. It was the first time I've been measured so that was exciting. Heart beat was lovely to hear as usual and consultant agrees I shouldn't need to plan for a c-section providing baby plays ball, continues to grow well and doesn't have a plan B. so that's all good really. Off to see twilight this afty with my baby sister who is 27 so not really a baby for her birthday treat!
I hope everyone is well, I've not got time to name check so have good weekends everyone and try and fit in some 'me time' !

ThreeForTea Fri 23-Nov-12 12:57:56

Ah Jojo thats fab that you can plan a normal birth! Hope little bundle goes for it too!

Em just looked attatchment parenting up on wikapedia, under 'Practical aspects' it says;
'Attatchment parenting can interfere with a couple's sex life and socializing, but can eliminate the cost of strollers and cots.' hmm, decisions decisionsgrin
No definitely agree with the principles, but would be wary of any programmes that 'religiousised' it iyswim? (#lovesmakingupwords) Love making my children feel as secure as I can and making sure that the 'replacement me's' are as close to how I would parent as possible but at the same time live in a very real world smile

Em2010 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:53:19

Hey All, am just sitting down with a cuppa and a mince pie. Bought a box of 6 yesterday, had 1 and when I went to the box just now there was 1 left!!! What has my dh been doing?? Maybe he has expectant father cravings?

Interesting your thoughts on attachment parenting. Think my judgement was a little coloured by the magazine I had read as it covered some of the more, shall we say, extreme methods? (Lotus birthing anyone? Yes, I had to google it too). Having spent a bit more time looking at it on mumsnet this morning though I have climbed down and would agree with the principle of providing a comfortable and nurturing upbringing for my children. I used to get a bit annoyed when ds was very small and people would say that if you pick them up whenever they cry then they will get used to it, and I always thought 'well, good!' Sorry I'm off on one of my one woman rambles now! And if anyone is considering a lotus birth then I'm sorry for being judgemental!

jojo glad mw went well and that it helped to improve your mood a bit. I think we're all feeling a bit tired and fed up at the moment. Hope your sister enjoys twilight.

zoey your boss is such a knob. Please make him a slice of toast and then sneeze on it!

manda sorry you're aching, you're doing such a fab job with those twins though and the end (of pregnancy!) is getting closer!

StormyBrid Fri 23-Nov-12 14:09:11

I just had a look at the wikipedia article about attachment parenting and on the face of it, it looks sensible. Basically just treating your kids well and providing a safe and secure environment. I'm guessing it often gets taken rather further than that though, and if it's going to involve constantly being at your kid's beck and call then I'm not sure it's for me. Good parenting involves sane parents, and sometimes I'm going to need to sit down and have a cup of tea and calm down when Stormageddon's kicking off, but that doesn't seem to fit with the general idea. Just my interpretation though.

Didn't make it to bed until gone six in the morning. I shouldn't stay up all night reading about what's currently happening to the benefits system. It's not just worrying, it's frankly terrifying. Any of you who are planning to work part time and expecting tax credits to help with family income, be very afraid. confused

In baby news, got a letter inviting me to an antenatal appointment on Thursday, at which I get to meet the health visitor and get that red book thingy. Just another reminder that this baby really is real, and is going to be here in three months!

Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 14:39:01

Tax credits are scary now stormy we've been entitled for 2 years and not bothered as I had so much hassle when I was a single parent. Universal credit looks terrifying if it goes ahead in its current form. The idea of one benefit makes sense but they are using it to hide some big cuts!
Good luck with HV, in very short supply here and are only dealing with newborns/CP/high risk families. Been told dd3s 2 year check will be at approx 2.6 , good job she's not got any delay/I can identify any delay. Too many children are identified late my personal one woman rant, sorry

Em2010 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:58:54

Ah stormy yes that sounds about right, except, IME, forget the tea, sometimes sane parenting involves sitting down with a large glass of wine!

Tax credits are a nightmare, I think the basic rule of thumb is that you've lost them once your family income exceeds 28k, there's other factors involved such as the cost of your childcare, so that's only my very rough summary. We used to get them but dh had a pay rise and now we don't. As ood says that are a bit of a minefield however they did keep the wolf from the door during some very hard times.

ood I never knew there was a 2 year check up from a hv! All we had was a letter through the door with a list of things your child should be able to do at that stage and to contact them if not! Haven't actually seen a hv since ds was a small baby....

Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 18:04:54

£32k for 2+ children (at the moment). We are entitled to about £130 a week from them and I can't stand the thought of it. V tempting at the moment though as dh has lost 2/3 of his jobs and the one left is officially casual ( he does approx 25h there on average though).

Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 18:07:04

em the only reason I know about what's happening with HV is because I see them through work. Don't know who dd3s is as our left last year. I was seeing her regularly for PND support then she didn't come any more hmm

theTramp Fri 23-Nov-12 18:49:47

There's big cuts coming everywhere. There has to be. It is going to hurt, alot, and for a good 10 years perhaps more. That is what we get for ten years of boom based on debt rather than on investment and savings. Stupid bloody short termist looking politicians and their dozy grasshopper ways.

Rant over.

Sorry just popping in briefly to say that Facebook has changed its privacy settings, yet again, which means that when you comment on a post in our secret group anyone who follows you can see it in your timeline. The whole thread, not just your comment. I really didn't want people to see what I was posting on there, as I kind of like it being seperate from everything else social media - plus, with one or two exceptions, frankly it is private and I am not interested in the world at large hearing me talk coming soon baby stuff. Which means I either need to quite the group or change privacy settings. Not being Facebook au-fait (having any patience with FB) I wondered if anyone had any ideas? Otherwise I suggest that we find a new venue for a secret group and sharpish.

Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 19:01:42

Thanks for that re FB. Have you checked from someone else's timeline?

Sheldonella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:06:49

I just got DH to look and nothing shows up in his timeline. How did you see it tramp?

Oodthunkit Fri 23-Nov-12 19:10:01

Not showing on dh timeline either. He only has 3 friends so you'd think it would show there to fill it up

mandasand Fri 23-Nov-12 19:11:53

Hello peeps, on phone on way back from London so can't, I think, check if any changes to FB privacy settings. Does anyone know for sure that Happy Marchers stuff has been appearing on.their timelines?

Had a bit of chivalry today from people on packed trains! must look as exhausted as I feel, hehe!

More when I get home :-)

Sheldonella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:20:10

I can see posts from manda in my news feed and it shows others comments but I think that is only because we are both in the group. I don't think anyone who isn't in the group can see anything.

theTramp Fri 23-Nov-12 19:24:25

I'm seeing comments on other people's posts by people I follow. So I can see Mandas comments on your happy marchers posts, not just her posts. And I thought point of group was it didn't show up on timeline? So my fB timeline wall thingy has bump in dress, new crib and a couple of baby pics. I'm also seeing post comments from other friends where they've commented on someone they know - but I don't follow - post.

mandasand Fri 23-Nov-12 19:27:52

That is as it should be Sheldon. Praps ask any FB-active DHs and DPs if they are suddenly able to see anything? Promise to check settings the moment I get home and have been for a wee!

HermioneBoo Fri 23-Nov-12 19:27:54

Re the FB stuff there's a big hoax going round at the moment regarding privacy settings. I'm 99% sure that the secret groups stay secret but going through FB settings now

Sheldonella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:29:02

That has changed yes, but I think the only people that can see anything in our secret group are other members of the group. So any of your friends that aren't in the group won't see the secret posts.

mandasand Fri 23-Nov-12 19:31:39

Xposted Tramp :-) I find it hard to judge as I'm FB friends with a lot of members...but if that is a new thing for you then it's not as I understood it. Will check...

theTramp Fri 23-Nov-12 19:34:00

Thanks all. Sorry to be causing hassle but this is new. Previously I only saw posts that weren't included in the secret group, not ones that were.

Sheldonella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:34:52

I will post something new on the group and ask DH to check again.

HermioneBoo Fri 23-Nov-12 19:34:56

Secret groups still show up on your timeline when you look at your own but if DH looks at my timeline he only sees things that are not on Happy Marchers. I can see comments on Mandas posts but that's because we're friends on FB, I can't see anything on anyone's profiles that are members of the secret group

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now