Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feb 13 - part 3!

(472 Posts)
Panzee Fri 28-Sep-12 17:42:49

I'm not one for fancy titles, but I see the last one is full, so here it is...

I remember my first, he 'flicked' me from the inside too. This one is swirls and somersaults. smile

WitchityBroom Wed 10-Oct-12 21:05:22

I'll definitely have a look at the Babyjogger. I guess the main consideration is whether or not it'll be okay for DH height-wise.

Another question: what are you all doing about ante-natal classes? I was wondering if it was worth paying for NCT classes or if I should just stick to the NHS ones, since I'll probably read a load of books about everything anyway which should pad out any shortcomings the NHS classes may have. Plus the NCT ones run right up to my due date so if the baby arrives early then I'll end up missing some of them.

monstergoose Thu 11-Oct-12 00:01:50

Hi all,
Can I rejoin please?! I joined a while ago but then everyone disappeared off on facebook and it got a bit quiet! I'm due on the 5th feb with a girl.

Getting quite excited now as my DH has finally allowed me to start buying stuff for her and we've already been give some cute clothes from excited relatives! Picked up our pushchair today-we're got a Jane trider as we do a bit of walking and it had good reviews for being an 'off roader' and it has a really cool lie-flat car seat/carrycot. Was a bit pricey luckily we've had some family help for it so feel very grateful for that.

How are everyone's kicks coming along?! I wasn't sure at first whether or not it was her or just major tummy rumbling but she's a proper little ninja now! She's awkward though-every time my DH tries to have a feel she stops kicking!

Quick question-has anyone got dogs on here and if so are they just planning on rocking up at home with the baby or are you 'practicing' first with a doll?! My DH wants to get a doll so that the dogs get used to something in our arms as they can be a bit manically giddy happy with life but I think its a bit of a daft idea-my dogs aren't stupid and pretty sure they'll realise its a toy and not human (especially as they small so plasticky) and worse case try to play with it because its a toy and therefore terrifying my DH!

monstergoose Thu 11-Oct-12 00:06:27

wrt antenatal classes I've signed up for the NCT ones. My sister in law did them recently with her 1st and said they were useful for info but also good for meeting other new mums. I can't do the NHS ones as not giving birth in my PCT so I'm not eligible apparently! (live just on the border of different PCT with better hospital). I thought they were pretty expensive though-hopefully they'll be worth it! Mine run up to about 2wks before my due date but they did have another course running a month or so before mine so if you think you'll drop early maybe you could find an earlier course?

Want2bSupermum Thu 11-Oct-12 00:34:21

We have a dog and the transition has been interesting. Our golden is my PFB and the transition was ok. DH brought home a blanket from the hospital and let him smell it. When I came home with DD we introduced them and the dog ignored her. He has slowly come around but he doesn't like the unpredicatable movement, the screams or when she pulls at his coat.

Funnily enough our dog goes funny when I am pregnant. He is glued to my side and has his snout on my lap. It was his behaviour that lead me to take a pregnancy test. It will be interesting to see if his attitude towards our future DS will be any different. I will say that the dog has been very protective of me through both pregnancies.

Hi Sarah & monster smile

I was going to ask about antenatal classes too- have any of you done the nhs ones before and think they're worth going to? We're having quite a bit of work done on the house before baby comes as well as buying all the baby bits, plus got christmas thrown in too! So needless to say we don't really want to have to pay for nct classes too! Also does everyone take their DH along to the classes or go alone? Prob silly question but I'm a first timer so really have no idea!

Re dogs, I'm a bit worried about it as my dog has always been like my baby and I can see her possibly being a bit jealous of the baby at first as she gets less attention. She normally adores kids though and loves it when friends bring their DC round to play with her! So hoping she will get used to the baby fairly quickly.

WitchityBroom Thu 11-Oct-12 16:31:30

Not sure if I'll be early or not - I've got no reason to think I will be. The final NCT class is just two days before my due date though, so is that taking too much of a risk? Not bothered about meeting people (social misfit grin) just want the info so not sure it's worth it.

Has everyone already booked their NHS ones? The midwives haven't mentioned it since my booking appointment and I keep forgetting to ask.

I have cats so can't advise re. dogs. Think the cats will run a mile at the prospect of a screaming baby.

Want2bSupermum Thu 11-Oct-12 17:34:19

I found the days after my EDD the longest so this time I won't be overdue until I get to March. I am due on the 15th so I should have gone by the 28th. It is purely mind games but whatever works....

I did prenatal classes at our local hospital here in the US. They didn't give much info on CS and I was unprepared for the realities such as vigorous shaking while being wheeled into recovery. My lips were blue and DH thought I was dead. He could have done without that scare! Also, DH wasn't sure what to do with DD while they waited for me. Through nerves he kept telling the nurse that DD wasn't to be bottle fed, even though she wasn't asking and was trying to line up a lacatation consultant to assist me with the first feed.

witchity I haven't booked any nhs classes yet- my mw told me we'd talk about it at my next appt, which is when I'll be 25wks. I'm not bothered about meeting people at the classes either! But I'm wondering just how useful the classes are for info etc- if it's all just stuff I can read up on before the birth then I may just give them a miss altogether? Will discuss more with mw next time I see her though.

Want2bSupermum Fri 12-Oct-12 00:27:55

I think it is good to go to them but also do the reading up. I wish I had read more about what happens when you have a CS. I found the procedure to be a little more daunting than I thought it would be. I think I could have prepared myself better for it by doing a little bit more research.

For natural births the Ina May childbirth guide is very good imo as a reading resource.

monstergoose Fri 12-Oct-12 05:15:20

Its my 1st so no idea what nhs classes are like-my mw said they were basically a condensed version of the nct ones. My sister in law took her dh to the nct classes-apparently most people had someone with them-I guess it depends on how keen he is to go-mine is a bit concerned about being in a whole room full of pregnant ladies all talking about gory birth stuff (which is precisely why I'd like him to go so he is also aware of what might happen!)

has anyone thought about nurseries/childcare etc yet? (if you are going back to work afterwards) there have been some threads about waiting lists being a year or so which is worrying me a little! We live in oop north so i'm hoping thats just a london thing but am planning on going back to work after 6m as can't afford not to so not sure whether I need to be looking at them now or not? what do people think about childminder vs nurseries? I'm gutted I'll have to leave the baby at all at that age, although hopefully it should only be a few half days as work night shifts (hence random night postings!) so should be able to juggle with DH work to minimise the childcare

WitchityBroom Fri 12-Oct-12 22:18:39

Okay, good to know I haven't missed out on the window of availability for booking NHS classes. I haven't seen the same midwife twice so far, which means that there isn't any continuity of conversation from visit to visit. Bit shit really but they never seem to give any new information that I haven't already read about anyway. Am more worried about questions I don't know to ask, IYSWIM.

DH probably won't be around to go to classes with me because of working away so often sad so I suppose I'll take my mum along. Won't be the same though.

InTheNightGarden Mon 15-Oct-12 08:27:04

Anyone else 22weeks with literally no bump??? :-/

this happened last time then it turned out to be dd's kidneys not functioning properly... then she arrived at 32weeks! Shitting this happening again and don't have another scan for a lil while!

Gbnewbie Mon 15-Oct-12 09:21:17

Inthenight, sorry you have that worry. Surely with the history they'll do another scan/some checks for you to put your mind at rest. Get hold of your midwife,failing that your gp. Be persistent!

InTheNightGarden Mon 15-Oct-12 13:18:41

I've got appointments at hosp but they're mainly cervical checks and next ones not for 2 weeks. I've literally still got a flat stomach, I have a couple of pregnant friends one is also 22weeks and the other 19weeks, both very visibly a lot bigger! I've rang the midwife several times and left 2 messages and not heard anything back! So useless! Although baby is active I can't help but feel the same thing is happening again!! :-/ hmmm...

Want2bSupermum Mon 15-Oct-12 13:18:58

im 22 weeks and barely have a bump. I interviwed last week and was offered the job. They were very surprised to learn that I was so far along. My neighbour who is an obn was also surprised when I told him I was 21 weeks along. He said that at 21 weeks on a 2nd pregnancy most look much bigger. I look like I did when I was 10/12 weeks. I have gained 5lbs since my first dr appointment. This is fine as here they want you gaining 10lbs in the first 20wks and at least half a pound after that.

Panzee Mon 15-Oct-12 17:25:20

I hope you are just tiny and nothing else. Fingers crossed!

I am 22 weeks and am gigantic. grin

Mummiesarescary Tue 16-Oct-12 09:31:28

Hi everyone, I'm shuffling in late at 23 weeks tomorrow. Ds5 is due on the 13/02

I've left it until now as I lost ds4 at just before 20 weeks due to incompetant cervix after my cervix failed at 18 weeks last sept. He was due 17/2/11

I had a stitch placed at 14 weeks this time and I'm also on progesterone suppositorys. Cervix is looking fine this time.

Mummiesarescary Tue 16-Oct-12 09:32:53

Ds4 was due 17/02/12 even!

Want2bSupermum Tue 16-Oct-12 14:05:58

Bless you Mummie Welcome and great to hear that this pregnancy is progressing :-)

InTheNightGarden Wed 17-Oct-12 10:45:25

Glad to hear of Another small bump smile smile smile want2be did your first pregnancy go ok?
Aww mummie hope all goes well for you this time! Glad to hear your doing ok this pregnancy! smile

Want2bSupermum Wed 17-Oct-12 13:40:00

Inthenightgarden First pregnancy was not too great. I had preclampsia at the end and I was huge. My former employer had me commuting into Manhattan which was killing me. I could barely walk because my back was so sore and I had a huge heavy laptop to carry.

I am much smaller this time around but it is early days and I expect to get much bigger in the coming weeks. Here in the US they send you to a dietatican at around week 12. I am on a low salt diet and will be for the entire duration of this pregnancy. We have a treadmill at home now and I walk for 30mins a day which also helps keep the fluid off my legs.

monstergoose Wed 17-Oct-12 20:48:21

Another one here with a small bump as well-I'm 24weeks tomorrow and am still in the 'not sure if your pregnant or porkie' phase! I look pregnant in certain clothes but in work clothes (mainly scrubs) just look fat! Hope everyone is doing well, my little one is getting stronger and stronger with her kicks-started keeping me awake at night with them which is annoying in a nice way!

Thanks everyone.

My bumps very small, it always is at this stage though. All the babies have been big for gestation though. (ds2&3 were prem) ds1 was term and 11lb 2 and I still wasn't in maternity clothes untill 6+ months.

I didn't even tell family I was pg until 2 weeks ago and noone noticed and this baby was measuring nearly 2 weeks a head of dates at the 20 week scan.

Sorry nc back from mummie to moomins (rubbish Halloween nc)

Gbnewbie Thu 18-Oct-12 08:57:04

Hello to all, especially the new additions!
I finally wore something to work yesterday which clearly showed my rather pronounced bump but didn't actually go into any areas where anyone who doesn't already know sits blush. Had 2 visitors who both noticed straight away! I will try to brave the rest of the office today!
I've got my stinger and regular movement from the little man too, love it!! grin

Have a food day all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now