Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Feb 13 - part 3!

(472 Posts)
Panzee Fri 28-Sep-12 17:42:49

I'm not one for fancy titles, but I see the last one is full, so here it is...

I remember my first, he 'flicked' me from the inside too. This one is swirls and somersaults. smile

CalamityJ Fri 22-Feb-13 09:19:40

Irismom just back from the doctors where it took them 3 attempts to get the blood hmm The nurse said they'd only call me if they found anything wrong so I guess I'll have to call them to find out everything's fine to put my mind at rest!

Mine wasn't on the palms & feet - I think they're the classic places for this liver problem though (says Dr Google) so it might be worth mentioning it to your midwife. I'd put up with it for 2 weeks & was starting to affect my sleep (just when I'd started sleeping OK for the first time in weeks) so that's what prompted me to go to the doctors. It's on my forearms, calves/shins, shoulders, tops of thighs & on my bump. Weirdly lots of places but also quite specific to just those places i.e. not my knees for example which are between my thighs & my shins grin

My midwife suggested it might have been triggered by Bio oil which apparently can cause irritation (I'd been using it OK since Christmas but with this extra stretching maybe it did irritate it)

Ultimately it's a pain to get things checked out (becoming a pin cushion for example!) but you'll be more comfortable if you do & this liver thing is linked to stillbirth (don't want to panic you but just repeating Dr Google) so might be worth putting your mind at rest.

NAR4 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:03:48

Well midwife has now been out to do my last sweep before induction on Wednesday. Had a massive bloody show this morning before she came and when I bathed it resembled a shark attack. Told midwife but she said baby was fine and it was normal for this to sometimes happen with a show. Midwife said she managed to stretch my cervix to 2cm grin but didn't think it likely I would go into labour any time soon. Have some pains now, which again is normal after a sweep, but I didn't have with the others.

Not going for a walk this time as still in so much pain with SPD after the walk on Wednesday.

Good luck to all you other overdue ladies. Keep saying 'not long now'!

MIL has kindly announced today that she thinks my 16 yr old is old enough to take care of my toddler whilst I am in hospital and he can phone her during the day if there are any problems hmm. I don't think so, so it looks like I will be having the baby on my own whilst DH takes care of the other DCs. My MIL keeps on changing her mind now the time is approaching, which really isn't helping to put my mind at rest.

Hope CS went well Panzee.

BoxOfMonkeys, 30, DC2, EDD 11/02/13, boy (induction booked for 25th Feb)
NAR4, 37, DC5, EDD 14/02/13, boy (induction booked for 27th Feb)
Want2bSupermum, EDD 15/02/13 (ELC 25th Feb)
Mixxy, 34, DC1 EDD 17/2/2013, boy
Can87, 25, DC1, EDD 17/02/13, Suprise
HermioneE, 31, DC1, EDD 20/02/13, girl
Ninjacat, DC3, EDD 22/02/13, (ELCS 22nd Feb)
CackleALot, 29, DC2 EDD 24/02/13 waiting for a surprise!
ChefHayley86, EDD 25/02/13
Aldan, 37, DC2, EDD 27/02/13, boy
plonko, 26, DC1, EDD 27/02/13
irismom, 32, Dc2, EDD 02/03/13, (ELC 25th Feb) boy

Aldan Fri 22-Feb-13 12:23:25

Oh dear nar4 MILs!!!

Went for my sweep today and there was no chance, CS booked for 6 th march. Got another sweep booked next Friday so we'll see what happens then. Feel ok about it, and happy with my decision smile

Want2bSupermum Fri 22-Feb-13 13:21:03

Had a fab day yesterday. I had brunch with my friend and her little boy who is perfect in every way. He asked if he could give baby a hug and when I said yes he 'hugged' my belly. It was so cute! After I visited my friend who had her baby in December. It was great to catch up and have newborn snuggles.

I started having had the initial signs of prelabour yesterday morning. I was exhausted last night and I think it is 50/50 if i make it to Monday for my CS.

NAR I hear you on MIL. Mine hasn't been well so I am trying to be patient but I need to know the dates they plan to visit in April as this affects my return to work date and daycare. It also had financial implications because we pay for their flights. Also, my father has offered to cover the final gap so DS will be able to start daycare at 12 wks. He just doesn't want to be here at the same as the PIL. They are like chalk and cheese. I want to scream at my PIL and tell them to make a decision.

Aldan Hear you on booking a CS. I was induced with DD. Hell will freeze over before I let them do that to me again. So happy I have my CS booked.

NAR4 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:03:12

Want2b are you having a CS if you go over due rather than an induction then? Didn't realise that was even an option. Have to admit I am really dreading the induction and found the drip pretty horrific. Epidural has a large risk of not working as well, due to previous surgery on my back. Can't even think about how I will manage without the option of an epidural that works.

Having discussed the induction with DH I am going to insist they use the gel first, before any atempt is made to break my waters and then wait as long as possible (pref 24 hours) to see if labour starts, before they put me on a drip. Basically I want to avoid the drip as long as possible. Hospital are not keen on this but have said they won't do anything I am not happy with, so took that to mean they would have to do what I want ultimately, as long as I insist.

Want2bSupermum Fri 22-Feb-13 14:34:58

NAR You could call my CS elective but it isn't really elective per se... I had preclampsia with DD and my obn wasn't keen on an induction this late into my pregnancy due to the increased risk of me developing preclampsia. She really wanted me to be having this baby at 39wks and I had to push hard to gestate this long. Only reason I was not in on Tuesday this week was because my obn is on vacation this week! I am 41wks today.

The drip isn't great. When I was induced they first had the chiropractor manipulate me and the acupuncturist do a treatment. They inserted the pessary and an hour later gave me an ambien to help me get to sleep. I was 3cm at 6am. I then had another acupuncture treatment at 7.30ish and that really got things going. I wasn't a believer at all. They then broke my waters at 9am ish as I was 5cm. I didn't progress from this point because they found I had developed preclampsia and I was put on a drip that took away from the effectivness of my contractons. Before they put me on the drip they started an epidural. When they jacked up the drip I was in agony and needed a top up of pain medication after a few hours of super strong contractions.

After being induced I would strongly suggest that unless you have 60% plus chance of delivering vaginally you go for a CS. I was in labour for 24hrs before they did a CS. I was exhausted and it was 3am when I finally got to my room. I slept for almost 24hrs after and only woke to feed.

irismom Fri 22-Feb-13 15:13:15

clamity thank u for the info.
NAR4 MIL - classic!!! Mine is here, just came two days before, only to see her sitting on couch/ sleeping.. coz it is too cold to walk around(cant blame them, they came from around 35 degree to our ice cold British weather). I now think it would have been better for us to be alone, at least, I wouldnt have to worry about their comfort smile and Oh such a joy!! not to mention spoiling DD.
about CS, u could opt for CS even now, they will do whatever You want as per last yrs law; just tell them u dont want to be induced, they will give u options. there is no point in going thro all the pain and agony of induction and then later on going for CS.. hope everything will go acc to ur plans
want2bSupermum What time is your CS on Mon? I dint get a time yet, but have to be there at hospital by 6.45am. All the best !!!

Want2bSupermum Fri 22-Feb-13 16:50:11

I am scheduled on Monday for 10am. They want me there at 8am. Have you been for your blood tests? I am going tomorrow morning.

irismom Fri 22-Feb-13 19:45:15

want2bSupermum Yeap, went yest, they will only get the list today, so dont know the order, but fill be over before 12, they said sad Am a bit scared.. tbh
calamity btw, was thinking and thinking abt what u said, but i dnt have any choice i think, as I am going for CS on Monday. they did check the HB yest and it was fine.. hopefully everything will be fine.

CackleALot Fri 22-Feb-13 21:33:43

Evening Ladies...

Nar sorry your sweeps are causing you so much grief, hopefully things start moving before wed. My MW won't offer me a sweep because of previous CS.

Good luck for those of you booked in for Monday - there's going to be a mass exodus on the thread soon!

I tried calling consultant yesterday morning re SPD but secretary called back at end of day to say she couldn't reach him and she (secretary) was off today so I should just wait til my appointment.

Hoping LO arrives before Monday (due Sunday).

Getting lots of BH this evening...going to be a long weekend!

Want2bSupermum Sat 23-Feb-13 01:23:23

Iris I am Jewish so I was drained of blood both times at 12 weeks. I counted 15 vials this time and there were over 20 with DD. They did a full genetic screen of me and were able to pull DD's and DS's DNA from my blood to screen her too. Quite cool though that they are able to do this.

NAR4 Sat 23-Feb-13 03:45:53

Want2b my last labour I needed 38.5 hours on the drip with it turned right up. Contractions were almost constant but every time they tried turning it down the contractions stopped, so they just had to leave it turned up. Consultant came in and out throught the labour to keep reassessing whether they would let me continue or do a CS but I wanted a VB. Ultimately it was horrible and I don't want to go through another birth like that, but once its done, its done and a CS stops you from returning to normal for weeks. No medical reason other than fear ultimately.

Cackle I have my fingers crossed for you that labour will start soon. If not I hope they agree to an earlier CS for you. Didn't realise they couldn't do a sweep if you had had a previous CS. What is the reason for that?

I have been having strong pains since about 4pm, roughly every 15 minutes. (Almost 12 hours now). Have now given up trying to sleep. Hoping they will get closer together soon and turn into established labour. Still worried it will all stop and come to nothing though.

BoxOfMonkeys Sat 23-Feb-13 07:08:42

Woohoo!!! At 12 days over and with the induction booked for Monday, I didn't think there was much chance of it happening on its own but I'M IN LABOUR!!!! FINALLY!!!! Mild, BH-like contractions started at midnight but I've been excited then disappointed about them meaning anything before so I ignored them and went to sleep. At about 4am, a sharp contraction woke me and after 2 more, I started timing them. I got up at 5.30am and they still didn't die down. It's now 7am and they are increasing in frequency (but still very manageable) so I feel confident in thinking that this really is it!!! Think I'll watch this series for a bit longer then get a bath before DD (and DH) gets up. Hopefully we won't need to start making tracks to the hospital until this afternoon (I really HATE the thought of being told I'm only 1cm or something and then sent home again so will leave it as late as poss'). I can hardly believe this day is here, seen as we've been expecting him since mid January and I've found this pregnancy such a long, tiring slog. I've spent each night of the past week sobbing incredulously at the fact that he's even later than my first (and also I've getting more and more snappy and hormonal!) so it's a massive, massive relief. Will drop a message when we've had him - hopefully at some point this weekend. xxx

Mixxy Sat 23-Feb-13 08:23:15

Best of luck Boxofmonkeys! Very happy for you. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you this weekend.

So had ultrasound, baby has enough fluids, heart acceleration is great, had a contraction that I couldn't feel while hooked up to the moniter. I'm 40 & 5, but baby measured 40 &2. Why does that freak me out so much?

NAR4 Sat 23-Feb-13 10:49:51

Congratulations Box. Sounds like your labour may be progressing quicker than mine. Hope it isn't too long for you and you have your baby in your arms very soon.

My contractions gradually built in length and strength until 5 minutes apart and lasting a couple of minutes. Had a bath ready before going to hospital and contractions have now become eratic, lasting anywhere between about 1-2 minutes and coming anywhere between 5-20 minutes apart. Def don't want to go into hospital until contractions become regular again as they may decide to put me on the dreaded drip due to failure to progress (this happened with my first).

Aldan Sat 23-Feb-13 10:56:13

Good luck box and nar4 grin

Want2bSupermum Sat 23-Feb-13 11:20:13

Box that is great news!

NAR That sounds awful. I do like it that once you are full term they will give you 24hrs once your waters are broken. After that they wheel you in. The other one is a limit of pushing of 3hrs. After that they consider if you need a CS. I think the set up here is quite different to the UK for aftercare. I had no 'hang' after DD and will def be keeping an eye out for it this time. I will need to go back in for my muscles to be reattached so I will get them to fix me up elsewhere if needs be!

CackleALot Sat 23-Feb-13 13:10:19

How exciting Box & Nar grin Hope things keep going steady!

Nar not really sure why MW wouldn't do sweep, in hind sight should have asked why!

BH calmed down when I went to bed last night, all quiet again...

Want2bSupermum Sun 24-Feb-13 02:14:32

Went to the hospital this morning for my preadmission blood tests. It was only three vials and they used a butterfly thing instead of a needle so I didn't feel anything.

Had a huge row with DH tonight. He decided to study from his employers office today and said he would be back by 2pm. I got about 4hrs sleep last night as DH fell asleep on the sofa where I have been sleeping which prevented me from getting to sleep. He finally woke up at 1am and went upstairs. I had tried to wake him up numerous times and he just wouldn't wake up. I was falling asleep this afternoon while looking after DD so I called DH at 2pm to find out where he was. The arse told me he would be home shortly... he came home at 4pm. Thank goodness for elmo's world...

In the meantime I started having very strong BH today. I really thought I was going into labour. At this point I quite want my CS. I am huge and I think this baby is going to be bigger than 9lbs.

Mixxy Sun 24-Feb-13 09:05:20

Hang in there supermum! At this stage I too will take a c-section, thank you kindly. I'm too big to push.

Panzee Sun 24-Feb-13 18:19:16

Hi, just popped in to say my gorgeous boy was born on Thursday morning by C section. They tried one last sweep or attempt to break the waters that morning but was nothing doing. My section was-dare I say it- actually enjoyable! They pulled the screen down so i could watch the birth and talked through everything. I was out on Saturday and so far recovery is going well.

Fingers crossed for everyone still hanging in there! Is there a post natal,thread? grin

Want2bSupermum Sun 24-Feb-13 18:38:54

Well DH out did himself last night. At 11.30pm he casually mentioned that he would most probably be picking me up on Thursday evening. I am allowed 4 sleeps at the hospital under our 'current' insurance. Only thing is that DH didn't tell me that we switch to a different health insurance on March 1st which is Friday. The new coverage only provides for 3 nights. Also, we don't have insurance cards yet. We will have a follow up appointment on Saturday morning with the paediatrican which will have to pay out of pocket and fill out the paperwork to get the money back.

I am flipping furious that (a) this came out at 11.30pm last night, (b) DH thought it was more important to write his assignment rather than listen to the health insurance rep who came to their office 10 days ago to explain the new plan and (c) none of the paperwork has been filled out let along submitted. I have now filled out the paperwork and faxed it to the broker so we might have cards by Thursday/Friday.

DH got the silent treatment last night but this morning I just yelled at him for about 20 minutes calling him everything under the sun. If it was him going in for a CS he would have made darn sure that everything was in place. I texted the boss's wife and she is furious that her dr isn't part of the new plan. DH and the boss spoke this morning and he has permission to put any out of pocket expenses from the hospital we have to pay on the company credit card as if something goes wrong and he ends up in NICU we are talking $20K a day after March 1st until the paperwork is processed.

irismom Sun 24-Feb-13 18:45:32

panzee congrats!!
supermum same here, had strong contractions during noon for almost three hrs but far apart. called the hospital, they asked mne to wait till i get within 10 mins apart.. nothing happend aftr that..
All the best for tmrw!!!

NAR4 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:29:17

congrats panzee

Torben was born at 9.48pm on Saturday, in his bag of waters, which is meant to be lucky. He had the cord wrapped tightly around his neck three times but was fine, so that is very lucky in my book.

Good luck to all those with a CS coming up and hopefully Box has had her baby now, also.

CackleALot Sun 24-Feb-13 22:11:13

Congratulations Panzee thanks

Congratulations Nar glad you didn't need induction, lovely name too! thanks

Want2b no wonder you're furious, I hope it all works out OK.

EDD here and nothing...had constant back pain in middle of back all day, and felt so restless & uncomfy. Getting shooting pains down my right leg to my foot. Come on baby, I want to feel 'normal' again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now