Would I BU to report my neighbours to the police?

(23 Posts)

I really don't know if I should or not, so all advice is welcome!

These neighbours moved in a couple of months ago with their daughter, who I think is about 3. I've never spoken to the man but the woman seems nice enough. However, I'm pretty sure that they're dealing cannabis from their flat. Every time their windows are open you can smell it, and they have a steady stream of visitors who never seem to stay longer than a few minutes (I'm not watching them, but we live in a quiet close and people have to walk past my windows to get to them and back again).

I don't know whether I should report them or not. The smell is so strong that the flat must be in a constant fog and it can't be healthy for the little girl, but if social services got involved that wouldn't necessarily be great for her either would it? Should I just ignore it as it's not really my business?

KarlWrenbury Sat 28-Jun-14 10:42:29

yup

anonymously though - crime stoppers?

hoobypickypicky Sat 28-Jun-14 10:43:30

Drug abuse is everyone's business. One way or another we all suffer the effects, be that taxes to pay the police, waiting longer for an NHS appointment or less money for social services or prescription medication due to dealing with the issues caused by the abuse or a myriad of other reasons. Yes, report them - the little girl can't do it herself, can she?

Sallyingforth Sat 28-Jun-14 10:45:20

You'll probably get a mix of replies, but if it was my neighbour I would have reported it already.
Apart from any of the legal/moral issues, if they are growing cannabis in the house there is a serious risk of fire from the equipment they use.

OwlCapone Sat 28-Jun-14 10:46:38

I think I probably would report it too. If it were not so obvious or was clearly just a "personal use" scenario I'd let it lie but this sounds more than that.

Having said that, my parents live across the road from a rented house that was raided as a cannabis farm. Unfortunately, the family lost their home and jobs over it so there are repercussions.

RedPony Sat 28-Jun-14 10:46:49

Definately report it. If the cannabis smoke is that bad think of the damage it will be doing to that poor little girl.

BeanyIsPregnant Sat 28-Jun-14 10:46:53

Report it, best case scenario? Your wrong and the police (or whoever) go round and see a well cared for little girl in a house free from drugs, fantastic! Worst case scenario? What you think is true, and that little girl needs help.. Which you will have given.... Report it, please

OwlCapone Sat 28-Jun-14 10:47:25

I agree about the fire risk from growing it too. That would worry me.

I don't think they're growing it Sallying, it's a small 2 bed flat on the first floor. I can't see that they'd have room with 2 adults and a child living there, these flats are pretty poky.

Good point Hooby.

Karl I hadn't thought of Crimestoppers, thanks.

CarpetBagger Sat 28-Jun-14 10:48:17

with a child present yes, report it.

EwanHoozami Sat 28-Jun-14 10:50:18

I'm amazed they thought no one would notice!

Report, through crimestoppers.

Unfortunately, the family lost their home and jobs over it so there are repercussions. I think that's what's making me unsure tbh, Owl.

hoobypickypicky Sat 28-Jun-14 10:51:36

"Unfortunately, the family lost their home and jobs over it so there are repercussions"

Tough. They should have thought of that before getting involved in criminal, harmful activity.

I would second the concerns about fire hazard and urge you to report for that reason alone, Joyful.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 28-Jun-14 10:52:37

Call thepolice/crime stoppers. We had one for a while too. now we just have one who is dropping off the drugs to a flat. Police are aware as they come round sometimes. They are also out because of the DV in that flat. I have found the dealer polite and courteous to those not involved though. I was worried at one point that we may be late for school as he was parked across the flats drives but he shifted as soon as anyone wanted to go out. now that would have been an interesting excuse...

Lottiedoubtie Sat 28-Jun-14 10:53:50

Of course report.

Social services too, (although the police will probably call them too). SS involvement will be better for the little girl than living in a weed fog. Definitely.

They shouldn't be selling it from their flat.

Not that I'm condoning drug dealing, but eventually this will bring problems.

We all were sorry to see our local Cannabis dealer go from the corn or of our road, he used to keep the teens under control, if they are operating away from their residence, they make good neighbours.

Chances are only one of the parents will be charged with "intent to supply" and the other will go into a drug programme and won't be evicted, thanks to SS.

It will all eventually blow up and the little girl would be in a worse position, than if reported.

It's rare that you can deal from home, without major trouble, you have to be well connected and even that doesn't protect you.

OwlCapone Sat 28-Jun-14 11:02:54

Unfortunately, the family lost their home and jobs over it so there are repercussions.

I think that's what's making me unsure tbh, Owl.

I think I still would report it. There are repercussions either way in your scenario.

Bluebelljumpsoverthemoon Sat 28-Jun-14 11:08:47

I would, it will be horrible for that little girl to live in a home that stinks of weed and very bad for her lungs. There's also a risk of violent thugs barging through the door if they don't pay their suppliers on time.

Sallyingforth Sat 28-Jun-14 11:09:41

I'm glad to hear they are not growing it there, OP.

But you should still think of the little girl living in that fog 24/7.
It will have serious implications for her brain development.

Thanks everyone. I'll call Crimestoppers.

Liger123 Tue 01-Jul-14 02:04:29

I have the same problem on my flat terrace- have even been offered cannabis (at a price) and the smell in the evenings is unbearable... I toyed with the idea of calling 101, but isn't cannabis possession legal? It's hard to prove dealing is going on and I'd much rather remain anonymous. Would love to get rid of nightmare neighbours though...

AgaPanthers Tue 01-Jul-14 02:07:05

No it is not legal.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 01-Jul-14 06:08:59

And yes you can remain annonymous when you call 101

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now