Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be absolutely furious about football chief and emails referring to women as 'gash'??

(358 Posts)
BeanAboutTown Mon 12-May-14 09:46:04

Sorry if there are other threads about this, couldn't find any.

Richard Scudamore, head of the Premier League, has been merrily sending emails referring to women as 'gash' and 'skinny big-titted broads', 'irrational' and lots of other incendiary misogynist shite.

Oh but he's apologised. That's nice eh, nothing to see here

Apparently he reports to the Premier League Board, which is two people, one of whom is errrrrr Richard Scudamore

AIBU to think an apology is nowhere near enough and he should bloody well resign?

It's been reported that the Premier League's women's officer has been told not to make any comment. Wouldn't want the shiny-suited money-making boys' club to be unnecessarily disturbed by any harpies would we

Anyone for a Premier League boycott next season? (Congrats to Man City by the way) How about we all give our money to the women's game instead

soverylucky Mon 12-May-14 09:48:46

His secretary would surely have a good claim for sexual harassment at work? Those comments are disgusting.

ProbablyUnderACushion Mon 12-May-14 09:48:54

It's a sobering exercise to substitute a few racist terms for the ones used above, and imagine what would happen.

BeanAboutTown Mon 12-May-14 09:51:04

Exactly what I thought Probably - see what (absolutely rightly) happened to Ron Atkinson when he used racist terms.

But apparently having your Chief Exec use one of the most disparagingly disgusting terms about women is AOK with the Premier League. After all it's not as though women are human or anything

SirChenjin Mon 12-May-14 09:52:25

WTAF?? shock

YANBU - an apology doesn't come even halfway to what is required. A boycott of the Premier League won't happen sadly, but I hope the Press run with this and he's forced to resign.

LucilleBluth Mon 12-May-14 09:56:07

This kind of thing needs a zero tolerance approach. Get rid of him, use him as an example.

Crumblemum Mon 12-May-14 09:56:47

What makes me really angry about this (apart from the words) is the fact that the media have largely ignored it. Probably is absolutely right, think of the bro-ha-ha around Jeremy Clarkson, but this guy is actually responsible for improving women's participation in premier league football.

I can only assume all the journos not covering are worried they'll lose their reporting rights and access to the games. Would love to be proved wrong!

I don't think a boycott would work, but this guy at the very least has to apologise publicly. Would love to know what his wife and daughters think!

Bobtailstrikesagain Mon 12-May-14 09:57:04

YANBU - he should be strung up.

I used to work in football and although some attitudes have changed sadly these misogynistic views are still widely held. Hence why I no longer work in the game.

ConferencePear Mon 12-May-14 09:57:53

Compare this with what happened to the hapless DJ who lost his job for playing a record he didn't know contained racism -
makes you wonder doesn't it ?

LineRunner Mon 12-May-14 10:01:49

Well he looks stupid and nasty, and I would say his position is damaged beyond repair as no politician or other senior figure can now afford to take him seriously or be associated with him.

I think he is doomed.

BeanAboutTown Mon 12-May-14 10:02:08

We must have some sports journos on here who could tell a tale or two...

BMW6 Mon 12-May-14 10:09:32

He should be sacked immediatly, no question. angry

Fleta Mon 12-May-14 10:11:01

Abhorrent human being.

There shouldn't even be a question as to whether he's sacked. It is incredibly obvious that the only thing to do is sack him with immediate effect.

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 12-May-14 10:11:46

Crikey, I didn't know it was that....That is very shocking.

I have heard the term among 14 year olds - never a grown(?) man.

fifi669 Mon 12-May-14 10:12:10

shock gash? Really? He sounds like a charmer...

specialsubject Mon 12-May-14 10:14:40

feel sorry for the wife who finds herself married to someone with attitudes like this. Hope she'll sack him too!

as someone notes, substitute in racist terms and imagine the (equally justified) furore.

FobblyWoof Mon 12-May-14 10:19:04

What a dickhead. It's so sad that people like this actually exist.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm so fucking fed up of having to get angry at this shit. I get frustrated because it's happened and angry because there's always a fucking fight to change things/people's attitudes/hold people to account.

thenightsky Mon 12-May-14 10:25:28

We shouldn't even have to debate this. He should be long gone. Totally unacceptable.

Nocomet Mon 12-May-14 10:39:22

I normally think the PC brigade are far to harsh in general banter and jokes, but exchanging them on works email copied to female colleagues is out of order.

I live a sheltered life, I had to google 'gash' shock
not for the squeamish
Sorry, but that word alone goes way beyond banter and jokes and equals instant dismissal in my book. angry
He's not a 10y repeating something he's heard in the playground, he knows what it means. To me, as a woman, it feels very much equivalent to a deeply racist term. I'm very hard to offend, but that's vile.

EatSleepRaveRepeat Mon 12-May-14 10:57:59

I agree how can Female ref's , lines women etc ever get respect on the pitch from fans when the head of the premier league talks like this.

BolshierAyraStark Mon 12-May-14 10:59:12

Wow, who knew there were so many terms for the fanjo?

Read the article yesterday-pathetic man but unlikely to be sacked as its only sexist & that's ok right? hmm

BennyB Mon 12-May-14 10:59:19

I disagree. Of course, I am not keen on what he said, obviously but he has apologised and that is enough. Who among us has not said insulting things about men in general, either in jest or in anger? Come on, censorship is not the answer and no one should lose their job over something they said or wrote. That way is thought police territory.

waits for the collective scowl of MNetters

mammamic Mon 12-May-14 11:03:34

outrageous. definitely should be sacked. totally unacceptable.

If it had been similar comments about a minority or race or any other targeted group actually, there would be no question. but it's only about women so that's OK.

I'm totally freaked out that some men actually use gash in that context. I really thought that was one of those 'coming of age' things - I am a teenage boy but want to be a man so how can I impress my other silly teenage friends. Use the word gash. In my day, it was the work 'bird' which offended. how innocent we were!

shocking.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 12-May-14 11:08:00

It's vile, and it makes him sound like a horrid sniggering twelve year old boy

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 12-May-14 11:08:37

I don't go around insulting men, somehow I manage not to - I don't believe I'm the exception. I especially wouldn't go around insulting men in a sustained way over several months to my colleagues and in front of a male colleague/secretary.

How do you mean its 'thought police?' Thoughts are just thoughts, the problem is that this man actually DID write this shit. He didn't just think it.

His poor wife.

BTW: "It was meant in a Frankie Howerd style way."? Poor Frankie Howerd would be turning in his grave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now