Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I want a dog!

(63 Posts)
Wantajackrussell Mon 14-Apr-14 19:24:18

Name changed in case my DD reads my thread! Think I probably am being unreasonable but ... I am extremely lonely and live alone and would have all the time in the world to care for a dog as I am at home during the day. However I go to my DD each weekend to give her and her OH a break from the grandbub (they both work full-time) and it gives them a chance for a lie in. I go on a Friday and come back on a Sunday afternoon. She says I definitely can't bring a dog with me - she doesn't want a dog in her house BUT I WANT ONE!!!!!

Get a dog.

Let your dd cope with her own family.

You will not regret it.

pissedglitter Mon 14-Apr-14 19:27:16

Get her to watch her own kid at the weekend and get yourself a dog

I know you probably love watching your grandchild but there is 2 other people available to do that

WorraLiberty Mon 14-Apr-14 19:28:49

Yep just get yourself a dog

Bowlersarm Mon 14-Apr-14 19:29:57

But then you would be housebound 7 days a week. How much do you like going to your dd every weekend? Not sure i would want to jeopardise that (if I enjoyed it).

Get a dog and tell your daughter to stop being an arse!

What d'ya fancy having?

I would love a Pug, I'd name him Doug. wink

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 14-Apr-14 19:31:54

If you want a dog you should get one but it's fair enough if your dd doesn't want it in her home. It sounds like you really enjoy your weekends at your dd's though would you want to give that up given how lonely you feel?

spindlyspindler Mon 14-Apr-14 19:31:59

https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/

If you can't stop helping out your daughter and her family, then perhaps you can either find someone in your area with a dog you can borrow, or ge a dog and find someone to look after it whilst you're with them?

To be honest I would just pick the dog because DOGS ARE BRILLIANT )

spindlyspindler Mon 14-Apr-14 19:33:05

Oh also, dog walking in a place with other dog walkers = community, pretty much. You get to know people very quickly once you have a routine.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 14-Apr-14 19:33:17

Stillstaying I love rhyming names for dogs I want cathy the staffie and Daniel the spaniel but DH won't hear of us getting a dog sad

ADishBestEatenCold Mon 14-Apr-14 19:33:21

Could you have your GC at your home overnight, perhaps even every second weekend? Would your DD object to your GC being in your home with your dog?

GeordieJellybean Mon 14-Apr-14 19:33:25

My JR brought me so much joy (we lost her a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 18).
Get your dog, you won't regret it and maybe your DD will come round once she gets to know him/her (and has a few weekends without your help!)

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 14-Apr-14 19:34:13

Just for you OP.smile

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 14-Apr-14 19:38:19

And again.......

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 14-Apr-14 19:39:40

Gah mrsbennetseldest now I'm dog broody again!

They are very tying

Thankfully.

spindlyspindler Mon 14-Apr-14 19:41:14

I wish I could have a dog. I have a deal with a neighbour whereby I have her dog when she's out but having your own is AMAZING. Unfortunately my hours are somewhat erratic.

PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 19:41:49
PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 19:43:02
DogCalledRudis Mon 14-Apr-14 19:43:30

Dog is YES. I have 3. And a cat.

PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 19:44:02
PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 19:48:16

Or a little 10 week old JR cross puppy :-)

www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=10235

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 14-Apr-14 19:48:19

I offered her to a good home last week for 25p but no takers. ( cat poo related incident). She does a very good ashamed face thoughgrin

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 14-Apr-14 19:49:07

Just get a dog.

Tell her to stop being so spoilt and selfish whilst she's at it.

I have a jrt, she's a real sweetie. Good choice! smile

HavantGuard Mon 14-Apr-14 19:49:21

If they both work full time (so your grandchild is in full time nursery) and you are there from Friday until Sunday, when do they look after their child?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now