to be annoyed by 'Little' Miss

(116 Posts)
bumpertobumper Wed 26-Mar-14 22:47:08

my sons are currently very keen on Mr Men books for bedtime stories. It really annoys me that the female characters are 'little... '. Why can't she just be Miss naughty or Miss Sunshine etc.
I feel it's part of the insidious undermining and belittling (literally!) of women.
So I leave out the little when reading, but DP doesn't and DS1 is in yr1 so can see for himself the girls are all little.
angry

FutTheShuckUp Wed 26-Mar-14 22:48:55

Here I have a spare for you in my spare grips draw...

thebody Wed 26-Mar-14 22:48:56

you might be overthinking it? grin

have a wine

WooWooOwl Wed 26-Mar-14 22:49:01

YANBU if you assume the word little to be negative or derogatory somehow.

That's isn't my perception of it though, so I can't see the problem.

Flossyfloof Wed 26-Mar-14 22:49:03

biscuit

icclemunchy Wed 26-Mar-14 22:49:49

I wish I had time to overthink things this much and then actually get annoyed about them!!

VashtaNerada Wed 26-Mar-14 22:54:09

YANBU, it's these constant sexist messages (minor in isolation but damaging en masse) that cause children to grow up thinking girls are less important.

shakinstevenslovechild Wed 26-Mar-14 22:56:51

What do you suggest they are called Miss Lady, Miss Woman, Miss Girl? They can't just call them Miss and someone, somewhere will always be offended.

If you want to take that much of a stance then stop reading/buying the books.

AwfulMaureen Wed 26-Mar-14 22:57:37

YANBU. You're right but those books are a thing of the past. Don't buy them...they're overrated anyway.

FutTheShuckUp Wed 26-Mar-14 22:57:56

When I was growing up (showing my age now) there was a programme called the little green man. Pity mn wasn't around then so my mother could have pissed herself laughing at someone with too much time on their hands starting a thread worrying how it demasculises men....

BeyonceB Wed 26-Mar-14 23:01:31

YANBU. But then, even Miss isn't on the same level as Mister when you think about it. Mr Men should be Master Men, and Little Miss should just be Miss smile

thebody Wed 26-Mar-14 23:01:45

to be fair the dad in peppa pig is a twat.

MsMischief Wed 26-Mar-14 23:03:09

It annoys me too

GiveTwoSheets Wed 26-Mar-14 23:03:54

Looks at her collection of little miss books had for 17years its only a matter before some pc arse gets them banned.

LucyBabs Wed 26-Mar-14 23:07:44

Mr Men books as a whole are un PC but my dc LOVE them! Hilarious grin

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Wed 26-Mar-14 23:08:24

They should just be 'Woman'.

Sunshine Woman

Tiny Woman

Plump Woman

Scatterbrain Woman

Late Woman (!)

NAUGHTY WOMAN.

Euphemia Wed 26-Mar-14 23:11:00

The Mr Men are portrayed as fecking eejits, though, does that make you feel better?! grin

TeaOneSugar Wed 26-Mar-14 23:13:42

Mr forgetful is a much underrated classic IMO, very funny.

ThisLittlePiggyStayedHome Wed 26-Mar-14 23:20:21

You are absolutely right, OP, and those who would belittle your concerns about the insidious belittling of women and girls in this culture (and in many others), are a big part of the problem.

It's so, so foolish to think that these things don't matter. Instead of trying to hand you a grip, some on here should have another rummage around and try to find themselves a clue.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 26-Mar-14 23:25:06

hmm

LatinForTelly Wed 26-Mar-14 23:30:25

YANBU, OP

what ThisLittlePiggy said

stonehairbrush Wed 26-Mar-14 23:33:36

Yep what piggy said.

stonehairbrush Wed 26-Mar-14 23:34:22

Fut, thebody, iccle etc - you are part of the problem.

StabInTheDark Wed 26-Mar-14 23:35:25

Yes, if you look at this one thing on its own, it doesn't seem like a massive deal. But actually, they are one part of a whole culture that is full to the brim of these 'little things' that 'don't matter.' They all add up and collectively form a society where women are constantly undermined.

If the male versions are 'Mr Bump', why can't the female versions simply be 'Miss Helpful' etc? What's the difference?

I really believe that if we don't challenge these 'little things' we are allowing for a pervasive message to seep through. Not really something I'd want my children to subliminally pick up on!

whereisshe Wed 26-Mar-14 23:35:49

YANBU. Have you seen the doco Miss Representation? A very interesting (and depressing for those of us with daughters) look at how early and how comprehensively little girls are taught to limit their ambition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now