to wonder if anyone gets the weirdo at the bus stop/doctors waiting room? (tongue in cheek before i get flamed!)

(65 Posts)
mymiraclebubba Thu 27-Feb-14 21:22:51

or is it just me that has the magnet??

Sat in the doctors waiting room tonight - it was empty so plenty of places to sit and yet this woman i have never seen before in my life sits next to me and proceeds to inform me that she has a great cure for men who rape and explains it, then goes on to discuss her experience of thrush and effective positions to sit/stand in so as not to have the need to itch in public - i was mortified!!

I was so relieved when the doctor called me in

carlywurly Fri 28-Feb-14 21:55:47

I get this. Mostly I don't mind it. It was significantly worse when I used to wear an orange top back at uni. It was like a neon magnet for quirky types.

I regularly get into conversation with strangers nowadays but I don't think I'm weird smile

YouTheCat Fri 28-Feb-14 21:23:11

I don't tend to get weird people (because maybe I am one grin ) but, in my youth, I did get a lot of attention from much older gentlemen. The first time was in McDs on a school trip to Cambridge when I was 14. I was sat with my friends, eating a Bigmac and these two blokes kept offering me cigarettes and asking to buy me coffee. They completely ignored my (much slimmer and prettier friends). It was most odd.

Then there was the time in the smoking carriage of a train when I was a student. He kept offering me gum and asking me if I wanted to go to London with him.

On another school trip to London (think I was about 17/18) I got asked to a party by a group of 60 year old Americans.

These days I just get random old ladies. I'm a bit shy and not likely to start up a conversation but will happily chat to anyone if they start it.

At least I'm too old for the randy old men these days. grin

ToughSpuds Fri 28-Feb-14 21:19:22

Ha! I attract the weirdos too (I'm pleased it's not just me!)
Some people who stop and talk are lovely. Like the man on the bus today. He was from Africa but moved here years ago, has 7 grandchildren and said he was a retired engineer who worked for BP for 45yrs?
It's nice what you can learn from the elderly. Even my 3yo DD sat in utter silence, watching to the "laughing man"

stayanotherday Fri 28-Feb-14 21:07:30

Had another one today. Coming out of the train station this morning and walked passed a man having a cig who started having a go and swearing at me. I told him off. I can't go anywhere and now ignore people who start conversation. Anybody who justs wants a victim gets a surprise when I stand up to them. People wonder then why I don't bother.

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 28-Feb-14 19:22:29

Yes always have done, I dont mind. Lots of them seem lonely, some seem to have mh problems (trained as a mh nurse) and probably dont have much interaction with others.

Its only 20 mins or so out of my life and doesnt hurt me

Fluffyears Fri 28-Feb-14 19:20:56

Oh yes all the time. I even had a tramp try and kiss me once. The weirdest was when I was crossing a road and a lady a bit older than me wandered up and said 'I love your bag!' I said thanks and said it was actually a primark one (big silver sequinned job). As I crossed the road I thought conversation finished but oh no she was only getting started 'you know who would love that bag? My aunt would but then she only likes gold. She'll be going out and has on gold top, gold trousers, gold shoes, gold bag and I say 'oi what you wearing all that gold for?' and she says 'I'm the goldmember. Do you know who she loves?robbie William that's who'

Oh my god she didn't draw breath and was following me down the street. I stopped dead and said 'oh dear I've walked right past the shop I wanted I'll need to go back' had to practically run away as she was offering to come with me!

gabcat Fri 28-Feb-14 19:17:17

there is an overweight man who skateboards around manchester city centre topless carrying a white rabbit . he once cornered me on a bus asking if I 'fancied pets'

Marylou2 Fri 28-Feb-14 14:57:40

nattet....a new word for a small natter. Silly, tiny keyboard.

Marylou2 Fri 28-Feb-14 14:56:17

Aw gotthemoon I don't think people who chat about clothes and kids are the people in question. Everyone likes a nattet with a fellow friendly soul, a stranger or not. It's people who talk about aliens or voting lib/dem you have to watch..wink .

gotthemoononastick Fri 28-Feb-14 12:27:17

Thank you to those lovely Mums who tell me how old their babies are and look at toddler clothes with me and smile and give me my one contact with a living human for the day.

I do look a bit strange and am old,but think I have a lovely open smile and interest in the world.

Some may think me an old nutter...I could not give a fig!

Lancashiregirl Fri 28-Feb-14 12:15:14

LOVE a harmless weirdo!

So much more life enhancing than a miserable normo.

They are probably the only thing I miss since I got a car and don't go on public transport so much.

LessMissAbs Fri 28-Feb-14 11:39:31

My speciality in wierdos is the ones that stop and berate me in public for doing perfectly legal activities. Like running on a pavement, riding my horse on a horse path, stopping my car at a pedestrian crossing, walking along a path, etc..

They always come singly, can be men or women and have obviously been waiting all day to find a "victim" to launch into a tirade about their own personal crusade.

I now have a standard response to the effect that if they continue to harass me, I will phone the police.

I'd love to be accosted by a guide dog. Mind you, I am a sucker for any labrador.

starfishmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 09:49:57

I get them too.

I also have a ds who will sit and chat interrogate everyone in the waiting room/suoermarket queue etc.
blush
I stay in a lot!!

chandlerbing Fri 28-Feb-14 09:47:43

Yep, I attract weirdos too.

And women that want to be-friend me and be my best buddy but then turn out to be total frenemies. Some have stooped pretty low and turned out to be totally evil.

Hoppinggreen Fri 28-Feb-14 09:43:02

Nope, never happens to me ( don't think I'm the weirdo???)
Apparently at rest I have a bit of a " fuck off" face, although I am actually quite nice honest!!
I do have a weirdo attracting friend though

Pawprint Fri 28-Feb-14 09:35:58

There was a little old guy I used to see on the London Underground. He would start talking about how cheap it used to be to go to the pictures and then start ranting on about Asians and black people.

Jollyb Fri 28-Feb-14 08:46:14

I bet none of you have been accosted by a guide dog though. Was on a train and a guide dog leapt on the seat next to me and started nuzzling. His owner declared rather loudly ' you must be attractive to Labradors!'.

CrohnicallyFarting Fri 28-Feb-14 07:01:35

Ah yes chottie both me and my mum get asked for directions, even in foreign countries. And we both attract weirdos and little old ladies. On one occasion I was literally unable to escape as I was in a hospital bed and one of the other patients came and sat on mine asking 'so what's wrong with you then?' before giving me a detailed list of why she was in (diabetic and needed a colonoscopy in case anyone's wondering).

There is a fine line though between 'stranger making polite conversation' and 'weirdo'!

LiberalLibertine Fri 28-Feb-14 05:16:52

I've always been a tramp magnet myself.

Remember one chatting to me on the tube of all places, he then proceeded to piss himself, didn't even break his conversation to notice hmm

LiberalLibertine Fri 28-Feb-14 05:15:22

worra grin

Marylou2 Fri 28-Feb-14 04:27:01

I'm glad this isn't just me!!! DH says it's my nursey face that makes them do it. I think that's supposed to be a compliment. People from work call me with all their problems too, medical and otherwise. I can feel myself going into counselling mode but can't stop it. I really must practise a disinterested look in the mirror....

Chottie Fri 28-Feb-14 03:48:24

As a slight variation I always, always get people who ask me for directions and then money!!! It happens when I am abroad too. And no I do not look minted. DP always says it is because I look like an easy touch sad

Back to original post... does anyone else think it is genetic? my dad was always accosted by people too. Women on the bus would tell him TMI about all sorts of personal stuff.

WolfMoon Fri 28-Feb-14 01:07:24

Absolutely. You know they say that people in London don't talk to strangers? That's because they're all talking to me. I once got drawn into conversation with a lady on the tube, who then proceeded to have friends get on at the next three consecutive stops (apparently a coincidence!) and join in the conversation. By the time the sixth friend of hers had come and joined in, I was looking for the hidden camera.

AgentZigzag Fri 28-Feb-14 00:51:14

grin Love Gary Larson my favorite grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now