To be a bit paranoid about my spelling and grammar on MN?

(65 Posts)
Hotmad Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:35

Seen quite a few threads here about poor spelling and grammar that every time I write something now I make sure I spell correctly, don't use text speak and proof read it before posting!
Apart from spelling and grammar what other human errors and behaviours annoy you most?

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, that's a horrible attitude and I certainly wouldn't defend that.

oddsocksmostly Thu 20-Feb-14 17:19:51

Thank you Northlight, for clarifying practise/practice for me! I've never felt confident with those!

mrsjay Thu 20-Feb-14 17:19:33

and if a random stranger on the internet tries to make a point of pointing out spelling mistakes for the Mistakers (not a word) benefit then they are just a twat this is an internet forum nothing more nothing less,

mrsjay Thu 20-Feb-14 17:14:44

don't worry about it I never do I always think that is a person corrects somebodies their or there in a post i always virtually sticky my fingers up they are not worth reading tbh, many wonderful funny interesting threads and posts, with just rubbish grammar and spelling, read those instead smile

amicissimma Thu 20-Feb-14 17:11:17

LRD, yes, again, I think I agree with you about the feeling judged. The sad thing is that being able to express oneself clearly is so empowering.

I think sometimes, though, there is an attitude that people who haven't had the benefit of a good education should just be left to their mistakes, rather than risk that they might (or might not, who knows?) feel judged.

We're anonymous on here so can't really be judged, but someone might learn something that enables him/her to use English in a way that gets a more positive response from someone s/he is dealing with.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 20-Feb-14 17:01:20

Google is probably one of the reasons why my spelling has got worse lately. If I have sufficient time I can reach for an Oxford dictionary either on my desk or online. But if I'm in a hurry I just Google - and then can't be certain if I'm looking at the English or American spelling. I've lost almost all sense of whether I should be using "z" or "s" in a word.

And proofreading is hopeless on a phone. You type your brilliant thought, preview, decide a phrase could be bettered; the doorbell rings, you change the phrase, press send and it's only when you read your own post that you realise you didn't change the other parts of the sentence that now either don't flow properly or, worse, make no sense at all.

Truthfully, I don't think any MN-like forum could work if people prioritized professional levels of accuracy over speed of response.

Mintyy Thu 20-Feb-14 16:56:35

grin Doctor!

Mintyy Thu 20-Feb-14 16:55:54

I don't think it happens here all that often, tbh, given the enormous numbers of posts (and mistakes!) involved. On the whole I think this is a pretty tolerant site.

And if someone is being a numpty about an individual's spelling/grammar on any given thread, then generally speaking they will be told off for it.

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 16:52:51

Bobby Brown taught me to spell 'prerogative'.

<fist bumps Bobby Brown>

Oh, phew!

And sallying, if you were tongue in cheek I am sorry, I was inclining more towards sarcastic because I am a deeply unpleasant person. blush

I think people get cross because they feel judged. It's easy enough to take the 'oh, how interesting' approach if you're rarely corrected, or rarely feel under-educated, I think. There's always a high proportion of people who're teachers or linguists or English grads on these threads saying 'meh, don't care, I occasionally get it wrong'. But for them it's pretty easy really.

Much harder if you are someone who's always felt bad about their spelling. Same with anything really - it's like if you're utterly confident in your fashion sense and someone says 'I'd never wear x, it's so ugly', you probably don't care. If you feel badly dressed and ugly, you'll take it personally. Sad, but true.

sadbodyblue Thu 20-Feb-14 16:47:35

oh posters who point out mistakes like this just look like stupid frustrated bores.

probably are ignored in RL or laughed at so they do the head girl routine on here.

like the annoying kid at school who points out the other kids mistakes best ignored as you can't give a swirly online.

amicissimma Thu 20-Feb-14 16:41:49

LRD, no, on the contrary, I agree with your first post and took Sallying's post and your response as tongue-in-cheek.

And thanks for the correction. I thought it looked wrong so I looked it up in the dictionary, but, of course, didn't find it (under per ...), so I Googled and Google gave me perogative. Norty Google (or perhaps I shouldn't just glance at the first answer). Now I know. And I'm grateful. Which is why I can't understand why people get so cross. You don't know who this person is who can't couldn't spell prerogative.

DoctorTwo Thu 20-Feb-14 16:40:04

When consoling a pedant just say there their they're.

thinking101 Thu 20-Feb-14 16:33:22

Exactly who says we not allowed, it's a public forum....

Some people will bully others for whatever inc spellings and grammar. Frustrated little teachers. Bet they take a register too!

livelablove Thu 20-Feb-14 16:30:07

Funny how we're not allowed to use textspeak but MN abbreviations for words and phrases like dh and fwiw and imo are ok.

thinking101 Thu 20-Feb-14 16:25:10

Oh I don't care, poor people who have to sit there and correct all the other peoples mistakes. I think it is so sad.

I get quite annoyed when an OP has posted upset or in a stressful situation and they are corrected on something.

I don't give a toss really.

ami - if you mean that to refer to my comment, TBH, I thought it the context it wasn't non-aggressive. The OP posted saying she tries her best but still worries; to post 'you didn't proofread sufficiently' strikes me as mean, because she's already said she tries.

But if it offended you or you thought it was a gentle correction, I'm sorry. It's just how it read to me personally.

I don't know if you want to know, but in light of what you're saying - it's prerogative. I always want to put an extra 'r' in it somewhere so I've got into the habit of sounding it out with a ridiculous amount of care.

amicissimma Thu 20-Feb-14 16:09:26

I do think it's a pity when people get all negative about a non-aggressive correction.

We don't know who is reading and the internet offers a great opportunity to improve one's language skills, and thus ability to communicate clearly, while remaining anonymous.

I see there are some people who would prefer to keep getting it wrong, and that's their perogative, but someone lurking might be unsure of the correct spelling/grammar/usage and very grateful for someone to tell them. Specially as people often explain clearly why.

Although it's rare, I do occasionally find posts that I simply can't understand. I don't say anything, just close the thread, but it would be a pity if I could have helped. I doubt I'm alone.

AphraBane Thu 20-Feb-14 15:10:52

Newt: The one I still get confused about is practice/practise

I think confusion here is only going to increase, because there's a difference between American and British usage, and we're all being exposed to more written American than ever before thanks to the Interweb.

Essentially:

British
practise as a verb, I need to practise
practice as a noun: get lots of practice

American
practice as a verb, I need to practice
practice as a noun, get lots of practice

So in American English there's no problem, it's always practice. But for British just remember verb is s and noun is c.

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 15:06:51

And an heir is a person, their refers to people.

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 14:58:27

Where/here/there all describe places.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 14:57:22

" she pointed over there " Tom and James took their dog for a walk "

I get confused between their and there. It has been explained to me numerous times but it just won't stick!

Gee, sallyin, I'm sure that's totes like the sorta response she was hoping for, you big genius proofreader, you.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 14:05:26

Don't stress it OP.

It's a bit mean to point out bad grammar and spellings imo. I do see things but wouldn't highlight them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now