AIBU to refuse OH's name choices?

(121 Posts)
ATotallyOriginalUserName Fri 31-Jan-14 18:16:47

OH likes the names Dahlia pronounced 'Dah-lee-ah' and Scarlett... He also wants the middle names to be Rose for either name choice. For me, these are far too unusual whereas I'm more of a heard of name person.
Myself liking Charlotte and Katie.

AIBU to completely disagree with those two name choices? (He is getting surname same as his) or should I maybe "try" to like them? What are your opinions on them anyway?

amyshellfish Fri 31-Jan-14 18:18:05

Find a different name you both like. Charlotte and katie are dull beyond belief.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 31-Jan-14 18:19:49

Keep going until you find something you agree on. I wrote a list of names I liked and so did dh and we picked at least 5 from each others lists and compared. Ended up with a name. From my list which he hasn't considered before.

(Love the name Katie)

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 31-Jan-14 18:20:12

Of course you aren't being unreasonable, but he has just as much right to disagree with your name choices too.

Why not write separate lists and compare, you must have more names you like.

YANBU, but he can also therefore veto your choices. Work with the Rose thing - "heard of" name AND a noun = win! Violet, Poppy, Daisy, Clementine, Lavender (underappreciated!) etc. Posy. Primrose.

Finola1step Fri 31-Jan-14 18:20:28

You just both have to keep suggesting names until you hit upon one you both like.

higgle Fri 31-Jan-14 18:20:28

I presume the baby has not been born yet? If I'm right just wait until you see what she is like, a name might then present itself quite spontaneously because it suits her.

Belacoros Fri 31-Jan-14 18:20:42

Get the top 1000 names and go through it. Find something you both like. You can easily find something a bit toned down from Dahlia and Scarlett - which are not that unusual, frankly. Persephone, yeah, not many about. You can't go to a nursery these days without falling over Scarletts - without being as boring as Katie.

I have heard of both of these names smile and I like the former. I agree though, find a name you both like or wait until the baby is born and see what she looks like.

freakydoris Fri 31-Jan-14 18:21:28

No you're not unreasonable to dislike his choices,but he wouldn't be unreasonable to dislike yours either.

Try to come up with something you both like.

hoppinghare Fri 31-Jan-14 18:21:34

Charlotte and katie are not dull. They are lovely names. I'd go for a name you both like. You'll both have to use it a lot.

RunRabbit Fri 31-Jan-14 18:22:00

Agree with others. Find a name you both like.

Why not Rose as a first name? He likes it and is a 'heard of the name'.

Oi shock

freakydoris Fri 31-Jan-14 18:22:14

Or what pobble said. Cross posts!

Bogeyface Fri 31-Jan-14 18:22:15

I dont think Scarlett is that out there. Scarlett and and Charlotte are practically the same when you say them out loud anyway.

I'm curious: what constitutes an "unheard of" name. I rather liked Xanthe for DD2: DH vetoed that one.

kerala Fri 31-Jan-14 18:24:54

They are dull in my opinion (one is my middle name and one my mothers name so i can say that).Lots of middle ground between Charlotte and dahlia

HavantGuard Fri 31-Jan-14 18:25:18

They're a world apart.

nennypops Fri 31-Jan-14 18:26:40

What on earth is unusual about "Scarlett" or "Rose"? I'd agree with vetoing Dahlia, it makes me think of Aunt Dahlia in the P G Wodehouse Jeeves books.

wontletmesignin Fri 31-Jan-14 18:27:25

You pick first name and let him pick middle. Or create a list and find ones that you both like.

Me and ds3 dad had complete different taste in names so a list failed us. Me choosing first name and him choosing middle worked well for us.

It's not really a question of dull v look at m innovative baby name, it's a partnership trying to make a decision.

OP: God help you when you actually have to make a proper parenting decision!

greeneyes1978 Fri 31-Jan-14 18:28:26

Charlotte and Scarlet are very similar, how about Scarlotte wink

It's not really a question of dull v look at m innovative baby name, it's a partnership trying to make a decision.

OP: God help you when you actually have to make a proper parenting decision!

Don't know why I posted that twice!

ATotallyOriginalUserName Fri 31-Jan-14 18:30:38

KatieScarlett you name changed on purpose grin if you didn't thats crazy!

I don't know Scarlett I've never met one? I don't MIND Scarlett so much but Scarlett Rose? Bit of a description isn't it? He has shaken his head to all my name choices. We originally agreed on Kaitlin but have since both changed our mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now