to butter both slices of bread in a sandwich?

(110 Posts)
IsabellaMilborne Tue 14-Jan-14 14:29:11

Could you help with this debate, which arose during the frantic buttering of sandwiches for a children's party?

My Dsis thinks that you only butter one slice of bread in a sandwich; I think you need the buttery stickiness on both slices of bread, to make sure that the top slice adheres to the filling properly, and to make it tastier and less dry.

Can you help me prove that I'm being eminently reasonable here...?

I'm a one sided butterer.

In other news.. hummus on a sandwich?? A humwich? That can't be right.

Sharaluck Thu 16-Jan-14 23:44:49

Of course you butter both. The butter 'protects' the bread from sogginess etc

The only time you don't need to is if you have other moist fillings and you want to eat it straight away.

But for sandwiches for a party/packed lunch etc always butter both slices.

chateauferret Thu 16-Jan-14 23:34:38

YANBU. Our staff canteen persistently refuses to butter the other slice even when asked and today I ended up with sun-dried tomatoes In my bloody lap. Drives me round the twist.

MrsBungle Thu 16-Jan-14 22:53:37

shock I've only ever buttered one side! I might 'clean' the knife ie spread the remnants of butter on the other side. I'd never butter both sides and my top half has never fallen off!

MamaJazzHands Thu 16-Jan-14 22:49:26

He proceeded to butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich as well as both the insides. And then stuck cheese to the outside too!!!

grin

1974rach Wed 15-Jan-14 21:55:55

My long departed Nana used to leave her (white bread only) toast to go stone cold and then slather on butter - only anchor butter thank you very much - about half a centimetre thick. When she took a bite you could see the imprint of her false teeth in the butter grin

God bless all Nanas!

PMSL @ buttering both slices is over the top. It's butter, not crack grin

I bet you only eat one finger of a kit kat and weigh out your cereal in the morning, eh Maureen? wink

BeautifulBlondePineapple Tue 14-Jan-14 22:57:28

I'm going to out myself to any family members here.

My father was recently tasked with making a cheese sandwich for my 2yr old DS. I asked him to butter both sides of the bread and he looked utterly confused. I then explained that the cheese would stick better if he buttered both sides.

He proceeded to butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich as well as both the insides. And then stuck cheese to the outside too!!!

MrsKoala Tue 14-Jan-14 22:41:22

I don't butter at all if the filling is with mayo - tuna or egg. I also spread Mayo on both sides of a ham or cheese sandwich. Butter would only get used (on both sides) if there was going to be chutney or pickle involved.

DH only has butter on hot bread/toast (it has to melt in) everything else is butterless.

Rubybrazilianwax Tue 14-Jan-14 22:34:24

Both. Times may be hard but we're not at that stage yet

Huitre Tue 14-Jan-14 22:28:24

Chip butty! I want one! Actually, I would settle for plain chips and butter. Butter is so very lovely.

Also, what is the point of buttering any of it if you can have a non-buttered side? I mean, why not just have dry bread, you weirdos? Butter both sides or none, IMO.

AwfulMaureen Tue 14-Jan-14 22:10:04

I only butter one side. I think two buttered is over the top and bordering on gluttony. blush Sorry but it's true! As for the top falling off...no it does not! You just have to hold it properly!

Chip butty!!!

How mean to mention it at this time of night sad

ohmymimi Tue 14-Jan-14 21:59:06

crowler - next you'll be dissing the fish finger sandwich! A sandwich made with hot chips, loads of butter and tomato sauce is a gastronomic wonder.

1974rach Tue 14-Jan-14 21:45:34

gotta be a mug of builders tea though - none of that namby pamby darjeeling malarkey

Primadonnagirl Tue 14-Jan-14 21:43:11

I am sorry to have lowered the tone of the thread!

WitchWay Tue 14-Jan-14 21:40:16

mmm chip butty - with a cup of tea

coffeespoons Tue 14-Jan-14 21:40:13

You butter both sides. And if you want your pickle/chutney/cranberry sauce separate from the butter, you put it in between layers of meat or other substance in the sandwich for true perfection.

1974rach Tue 14-Jan-14 21:36:26

drool

I REALLY want a chip butty....

thick sliced white
butter
salty and vinegary chips

squish samidge till butter drips out and runs right down to your elbows grin

ooooh nowt better

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 14-Jan-14 21:35:14

Oh wait - no crowler I was agreeing with you re no butter on sandwiches!

Not a chip sandwich kind of person either.

Primadonnagirl Tue 14-Jan-14 21:30:50

Yes a chip sarnie! bread buttered, fill with chips salt and vinegar if you wish and then another slice of buttered bread...no if you are low carbing obvs!

WhenWhyWhere Tue 14-Jan-14 21:28:22

Bread

Butter

Ham

Bread

a posh hamwidge, for those in the know

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 21:26:43

Sorry, you've lost me here with the potato sandwich. You're kind of disrespecting the sandwich in this case.

RuinedAndNotorious Tue 14-Jan-14 21:26:15

I only ever butter one side. And I'm not your sister, honest! I had no idea I was in such a minority on this issue.

WitchWay Tue 14-Jan-14 21:26:05

If the butter's cold I butter one slice as it's rather too thick & put a smear of mayo on the other. I have had sandwiches using mashed ripe avocado instead of the butter - yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now