To think the 'community shop' thing is going to get abused by some.

(112 Posts)
cantheyseeme Tue 10-Dec-13 16:55:43

For people who dont know there is a food bank kind of thing been set up in Barnsley where shops give food and it is sold at like 70% off. This is only for people on benefits from what i can gather, where they can get a loaf of bread for 20p and other things free. In the ideal world this would be a brilliant source of food for people in need but i cant help thinking there are people out there who wont use this as its intended purpose and spend their benefits on non essentials and think its ok because theres always things like food banks etc to fall back on. I also find ita bit of a pisstake that its only for people on benecits when there are a large number of people in this country who work and are just as poor.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 11:10:19

MelonBreath many people around this area do the same when winter comes. There was even an article in the local paper about a pensioner who used to sit in the local Shopping centre all day to stay warm.

Melonbreath Wed 11-Dec-13 10:57:58

I think it's disgusting that these sorts of shops are needed. People in this country shouldn't go hungry.

I have a friend in barnsley who goes to food banks and she'd much rather go where there is more choice and a feeling of independence rather than feeling begging. And it beats deciding whether to feed or warm her kids, in winter they spend as much time in the library as possible purely as it's warm.

Keletubbie Wed 11-Dec-13 10:12:57

The Company Shop already have stores throughout the UK. They are mostly attached to large companies, and are for the benefit of employees. Employees are allowed to bring a friend or family member, and I have benefitted by stocking up my freezer a few times. They stock a large range of items at a decent discount, often short dated or with missing/incorrect packaging. Does it bother me that my there are only 400g of coffee instead of 500g in my jar? Not if I only paid 50p for it!

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 09:20:46

Psst! usualsuspect I have a box here for 70p. wink.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 09:15:24

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock at ours that I work at. It is tucked away from the roads and behind an Estate. Their is ALWAYS a huge queue when we arrive and even though they can't physically be seen by anyone they still try and hide if that makes sense? So you're quite right. No one willingly goes there. Well not to ours anyway.

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Wed 11-Dec-13 09:04:05

I agree with those saying that it's a sorry state of affairs when one of the richest countries in the world has to have community shops/food banks.

I like the idea of supermarkets putting their surplus/waste to good use (although really I think measures should be in place to prevent waste before it gets produced, IYSWIM: anyone read that article in the Guardian where there were cheap Jaffa Cakes in the community shop because they were unfit for sale in a 'proper' shop due to being either a bit below or a bit above their advertised weight? hmm)

HOWEVER OP, I take exception to the sentiment that it will encourage people to 'spend their benefits on non essentials and think its ok because theres always things like food banks etc to fall back on.'

First, how humiliating and soul-crushing do you think it would be to have to go to a food bank? Really, just try to put yourself in that position, just for a second. Do you honestly think people feel so sanguine about it that they'd happily use it as a fall-back, rather than as a last resort?

Second, how DARE people spend their benefits on 'non essentials', eh? And what are 'non essentials' in your book, anyway? No, hang on, let me guess: maybe people on benefits shouldn't drink, or ever have, say, chocolate, or a cigarette.

Even if people do abuse community shops, it will be a tiny minority (just as it's a tiny minority who abuse benefits) and, in my book, you don't create or run or judge a society by the standards of its worst but continually strive to raise it and keep it at its best.

In short, IMO your OP is pretty offensive. And if you think I'm one of those 'angry people': well hell yes I am. I am angry at the government who have made food banks and community shops necessary and those who voted them in. And I'm angry at people who continue in the face of all reasonable evidence to put down and demonise people who have to live on benefits.

Actually a lot of "waste" that's supposed to be disposedof ends up on the black market anyway. I know this because I currently have 72 cans of lager and12 bottles of champagne in my cellar bought from an employee of the company that's supposed to dispose of it. Probably better for it to end up in a community shop really.

expatinscotland Wed 11-Dec-13 08:52:02

OMG! Poor people, including working poor, getting food that would otherwise go into a hole into the ground. I'm so concerned, NOT

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 11-Dec-13 08:50:51

I do think some people are being a little bit too precious about 'poor people' being offered discount food, as if it is an insult.

I have been poor in the past and have and still do, sometimes shop in discount shops. I even shopped in Aldi and Lidl, before it was popular to do so and people looked down on them much more than they do now.

I was simply grateful at the chance to get something cheaper than normal, or to be able to buy slightly more interesting food than the basics or whatever. I didn't feel demeaned because I couldn't afford to go and buy what I wanted in Waitrose all the time, because I think thats a rather luxurious situation to be in.

It would be nice if 'everyone' could afford 'everything', but that's never going to happen.

custardo Wed 11-Dec-13 08:43:10

angry at the injustice and the fact that some people think its ok to begrudge others food that would otherwise be thrown away

cantheyseeme Wed 11-Dec-13 08:41:05

There are some angry people here today hmm

Helpyourself Wed 11-Dec-13 08:39:05

I don't u d'état an the meanspiritidness of threads like this and the one where the lad was given a free Xbox by one company because he'd been scammed by another company.
There's not a limited pot of goodwill or luck. If one person gets a break it doesn't mean someone else suffers. On the contrary.
If such things wind you up, look to yourself and try and find some empathy.

Dawndonnaagain Wed 11-Dec-13 08:36:11
Dawndonnaagain Wed 11-Dec-13 08:32:30

I never said ATOS do a good job but i think they are needed, or if not them another organisation.
The Government's own figures for fraud are 0.04%. So no, they're not needed.

I didnt bring up anything about benefits meaning unemployed, when i said about being able to appeal it was meant as a point that they will still be recieving an income.
Actually, that isn't the case, for disabled people, as of last year, you are not paid dla whilst appealing. IDS has also stated that there will no longer be a right to appeal after 2015. Thereby further endangering the lives of ill and disabled people.

custardo Wed 11-Dec-13 08:26:38

what omg said... well said

OhMerGerd Wed 11-Dec-13 08:16:30

I wanted to join this thread to say something positive about this idea because it is good that all this food that has taken energy to produce just gets binned for non safety reasons like seasonal packaging, misprint on the label or misshaped / broken ingredient element etc.
But I find myself writing this ... that I am despairing that we are heading back towards a Hobbesian nightmare where life in 'nasty, brutish and short' because there are so many people in our suposedly modern advanced society who cannot see beyond their own personal 'entitlement' .
It won't be long before the 'hard working, taxpaying public' start building bonfires to burn the feckless, the underclass, the undeserving poor and when they're gone who next? The sick? People with disabilities? The Elderly! Keep following the logic and once you've stopped being 'a hard working taxpayer' your value as a human beings diminishes along with the ability to fight gladiator style for every crumb thrown from the table of a corporate interested , globalised profit margin oriented, politically and morally corrupt elite.
Instead of begrudging your neighbour what ever comfort they can find in these hard times, why not direct your ire at campaigning to rebuild this once great 'society' .. Where the collective good, fought for by trade unionists, suffragettes, and other social reformers ... (you know .. our great grand dads and grandmas who fought in the war/s to make this country great ' ) to secure a better life for future generations by demanding, what are now called pejoratively 'political correctness gone mad' rules and welfare systems based tolerance and respect and mutual support for each other. ...
Don't throw away your hard won freedom and rights (to an education that equips you take your place in the world as an equal of all men and women, free on need health care, a home with security of tenure, safe working conditions and a living wage for your labour, equality and acess to justice regardless of gender, ethnicity or religion etc) because of base brutish instincts being fostered and fed through propaganda and misinformation by a press and media owned by ... (you getting it yet ? ) .... the self serving global corporate elite.
If you want to get angry ... get angry about that .. And not whether someone as badly off as you has fiddled an extra 5 p off a tin of beans or bought 12 mushy bananas in a bag for 99p. Please.

usualsuspect Wed 11-Dec-13 08:15:06

Actually if anyone has access to one of these shops I'm willing to pay up to 80p for a box of french fancies

custardo Wed 11-Dec-13 08:14:48

it seems your counter argument is..."its not fair"

which is a shit counter argument actually.

how about

lots of people will benefit from this amazing idea which lessens food wastage and enables those who can't fucking eat because of the fucking awful Conservative policies.

MPs to get a 11% pay rise and ian Duncan smith spends £39 on ONE breakfast whilst others starve

I'll tell you whats not fair

its not fair that my fucking taxes pay towards MP lunches, cars, second homes, heating and lighting bills

My taxes paid for Ian duncans smiths underpants - his fucking underpants

the real question here should be

why are the government waging war on the poor, why are various multiple large charities concerned at the amount of food banks we have and the lack of something to eat for many in this country

why are the circumstances such that this shop even has to exist.

I also have to pull you up on ATOS - they are so cruel that they force terminally ill people to go back to work, they have directly contributed to the deaths of many disabled people, the assessments are insane
disabled people forced to assessment centres where they have to walk up steps to get in, then they are left waiting for hours on end in cold rooms.

MPB Wed 11-Dec-13 08:13:18

Or your ignorance or is it stupidity?

cantheyseeme Wed 11-Dec-13 08:11:48

Ok i apologise to everyone Ive offended although not sure how Ive done it... that will be my naivity again hmm

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 08:06:05

No you're obviously struggling to read it though. Or probably just struggling to accept the posts aren't going in the benefit bashing way you wanted.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 08:05:07

<hands Seff Spade. Waits for Cigarette comment from someone as equally ill informed>. Seff can I borrow your Bingo pen please. Mine has ran out already! ,grin.

cantheyseeme Wed 11-Dec-13 08:04:20

MissPixie it took me ages to get to drugs and alcohol actually, are you struggling to read the thread again?

cantheyseeme Wed 11-Dec-13 08:02:48

Not everyone the minority!! Good Lord I think I'll just quit before i get eaten grin

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 08:02:18

usualsuspect <glares at you for making me want Mr Kiplings>. Didn't take long for the drugs and
alcohol comments to come into play does it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now